Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 15)  (Read 94244 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 15)
« Reply #240 on: February 03, 2016, 01:40:10 PM »
>"I do. It's hardly fair, too, you have more of an appreciation for gardens and flowers than I do, too. You'd appreciate her garden in ways that I couldn't. Yuuka might even acknowledge that, but she's too mercurial, too- Hey, I can say mercurial again." Grin, then stop. "Sorry, getting used to that."

>"Mercurial's a fun word to say. Mercurial!" Kyouko grins.
>"And don't apologize!" she adds, more severely. "You were dying and now you're not, and every little bit of that is cause to celebrate. So if you want to smile at saying a word or seeing the sky or just laugh for the joy of being alive, you do that! If you want to sing and dance and roll around in the grass, I'll even join you!"
>From the way Kyouko straightens up as she says this, you wonder if she's liable to start without you.

>DO we think that Yuuka might tolerate Kyouko more than us?

>You don't think you understand the workings of her mind enough to gamble on this with confidence, and the cost of losing is so terribly high. Perhaps Yuuka would appreciate someone whose sole purpose in her garden was to admire its beauty. Or perhaps she would use her to make an example of why you should never have told anyone else how to find her.

« Reply #241 on: February 03, 2016, 01:57:01 PM »
>Chuckle. "You ARE feeling better, too, aren't you?"

« Reply #242 on: February 03, 2016, 02:01:51 PM »
>Chuckle. "You ARE feeling better, too, aren't you?"

>"Not too sore to be happy!" she counters.

« Reply #243 on: February 04, 2016, 06:40:27 PM »
>Shake head and chuckle. "You're a real wonder, you know that."

« Reply #244 on: February 04, 2016, 11:16:06 PM »
>Shake head and chuckle. "You're a real wonder, you know that."

>Kyouko gives you a slightly sheepish, yet satisfied grin.

« Reply #245 on: February 05, 2016, 01:15:42 PM »
>"I know I owe a lot of people a lot of thanks for getting me here, but you... I don't know I can ever pay you back."

« Reply #246 on: February 05, 2016, 01:35:14 PM »
>"I know I owe a lot of people a lot of thanks for getting me here, but you... I don't know I can ever pay you back."

>"You could buy me dinner," she suggests playfully.

« Reply #247 on: February 05, 2016, 01:40:56 PM »
>Chuckle. "That's a start, all right. You name the place once we get back to down. Our choices out here are a bit limited."

« Reply #248 on: February 05, 2016, 01:51:37 PM »
>Chuckle. "That's a start, all right. You name the place once we get back to down. Our choices out here are a bit limited."

>"Mmmm... now that you mention it, I'm starving. Let's see what we've got left."
>Kyouko roots around in her pack for a moment and produces a large rye bun, which she immediately chomps into.
>"Getting pretty bare in there," she says between bites. "I, uh... I ate a lot of it while you were out for the count. Sorry."

« Reply #249 on: February 05, 2016, 02:06:40 PM »
>"Now I guess it's my turn to tell you not to apologize. I suspect you needed it at the time."

« Reply #250 on: February 05, 2016, 02:21:58 PM »
>"Now I guess it's my turn to tell you not to apologize. I suspect you needed it at the time."

>"Yeah...." she admits. "You know what they say about working up an appetite. Now triple that. I think I could have eaten a whole pot roast at once, if we'd had one." She scarfs down some more bread. "That still sounds kinda nice, to be honest."

« Reply #251 on: February 05, 2016, 02:24:33 PM »
>"I'll see what we can do once we get back to civilization."
>Look around. "For now, though..."
>Roll Survival Anything nearby that appears foragable?

« Reply #252 on: February 05, 2016, 02:36:27 PM »
>"I'll see what we can do once we get back to civilization."
>Look around. "For now, though..."
>Roll Survival Anything nearby that appears foragable?

>Some of the grasses nearby are perfectly edible, but you'd need to be more desperate to seriously consider doing so. Otherwise, nothing particularly palatable is in evidence. However, you did find berries several times on your first trip here, and have no doubt you can find more of them around if you keep your nose open as you travel.

« Reply #253 on: February 05, 2016, 03:39:09 PM »
>"We'll improvise. I made out okay the last time, and now my eyes and nose are working properly again."

« Reply #254 on: February 05, 2016, 03:51:07 PM »
>"We'll improvise. I made out okay the last time, and now my eyes and nose are working properly again."

>"We'll improvise," she agrees, then rummages for some dried fruit to go with her bread. "I think we're out of raisins...."

« Reply #255 on: February 05, 2016, 05:18:24 PM »
>Can we even afford to cover an appetite like hers?
>Oh well, we can worry about that later. Now that we HAVE a later.
>After she's finished, let us gauge how she's feeling, and then how we're feeling. Take as long as it takes, but when we're both ready, let's start heading back.
>And along the way, let's see if we can enjoy the trip a little more this time, since we have the time now that we didn't have before.

« Reply #256 on: February 07, 2016, 08:51:06 AM »
>Can we even afford to cover an appetite like hers?
>Oh well, we can worry about that later. Now that we HAVE a later.

>At least she doesn't seem to be a picky eater, even if she's a big one.

>After she's finished, let us gauge how she's feeling, and then how we're feeling. Take as long as it takes, but when we're both ready, let's start heading back.
>And along the way, let's see if we can enjoy the trip a little more this time, since we have the time now that we didn't have before.

>After Kyouko finishes up her breakfast, she spends a few minutes admiring the garden from as close as you dare let her go, and then the two of you decide to start heading home. You're both still sore and tired, but you'll rest easier when there's more distance between you and Yuuka, and there's something comforting about being able to stretch your legs without needing an act of will to keep you going.

>The trip back is very different than all the other times you've walked these woods. For once, there is no pressure, no rush. You can rest when you want, meander when you want, stop to watch Kyouko admire a bird or a flower without guilt or reservation. You have a picnic atop a hill covered in heather, fill two satchels with fresh blueberries, watch Kyouko utterly perplex a songbird by performing a duet with it, and even catch a pair of trout from a small stream you spend the night camped beside; Kyouko was unduly impressed with your jury-rigged fishing rod.

>Each day that passes, you can feel your strength returning. By the third, the ragged black marks which once covered your body have nearly faded into memory. So consuming was the Blight that you had nearly forgotten what it was like to have this much energy. You feel like you could pinpoint every trace of tin from here to Isir's Cross or scale a cliff with one arm. There is still a profound sense of unreality to this situation - you've struggled and strived so long to find a cure that it's hard to come to grips with it actually being over.

>But you are alive, and it is wonderful.

>And the compansionship you've had along the way is... nice. You find your eyes lingering upon her face - the way she smiles, the way her ears perk up when she's excited, the simple earnestness in her eyes. Had you met in different circumstances, you might have dismissed her as simple and naive; only someone ignorant of the world could see it with such innocent joy. And yet her smile gave you strength when the world was dark, her resourcefulness carried you forward when your own had failed you. No one could come so far and do so much without grit and savvy, no matter the form it takes. If there is an innocence to her smile, it is not from ignorance, but because she has the strength of spirit to find joy in even in the dark places. This is something you lack, you think. Perhaps this is why you feel a strange sense of peace just watching her enjoy the world as you never thought to do. It seems right, somehow.

>Eventually, the two of you arrive at Kagerou's little house in the woods, the garden long behind you. There is a scent of smoked fish on the wind, wafting in with the damp spray of the Grau. You promised her you'd see her again, and you have all the time in the world now to keep your promises.

« Reply #257 on: February 07, 2016, 12:06:22 PM »
>Presumably we spoke about Kagerou before, but did Kyouko express an interest in seeing her herself?

« Reply #258 on: February 07, 2016, 12:08:21 PM »
>Presumably we spoke about Kagerou before, but did Kyouko express an interest in seeing her herself?

>Not expressly, but you certainly can't imagine she'd mind; you think she enjoys meeting people in general.

« Reply #259 on: February 07, 2016, 12:28:25 PM »
>"Well Kyouko, that there's Kagerou's little place."

« Reply #260 on: February 07, 2016, 12:38:29 PM »
>"Well Kyouko, that there's Kagerou's little place."

>"It's kinda quaint," she says, sizing up what you can see of the house from this direction. "Did she build it herself?"

« Reply #261 on: February 07, 2016, 01:02:26 PM »
>Did she mention that fact?
>If she hadn't, "You know I'm not sure. I don't think it came up."
>"You could ask her yourself. I need to stop by, I promised I would. I don't think she'd mind if I brought you along."

« Reply #262 on: February 07, 2016, 01:06:25 PM »
>Did she mention that fact?
>If she hadn't, "You know I'm not sure. I don't think it came up."
>"You could ask her yourself. I need to stop by, I promised I would. I don't think she'd mind if I brought you along."

>She didn't mention it.
>"I'd like to meet her," Kyouko says with a smile. "She sounds nice."
>No surprises there.

« Reply #263 on: February 07, 2016, 02:22:01 PM »
>"She is that, though she's also a bit.... Reserved, I think is the best word. So if she seems quiet, it isn't how, it's just how she is."
>That's a fair statement, right? If not, disregard and just go knock.

« Reply #264 on: February 07, 2016, 02:47:04 PM »
>"She is that, though she's also a bit.... Reserved, I think is the best word. So if she seems quiet, it isn't how, it's just how she is."
>That's a fair statement, right? If not, disregard and just go knock.

>Kyouko nods her acknowledgement. "It's just how she is."
>As you swing around the house to knock, a figure comes into view, bent over a smoking rack whose fuel still smolders slightly. She is engaged enough in her task that she does not seem to notice your approach at first.
>"Is that her?" Kyouko asks.
>It unmistakably is.

« Reply #265 on: February 07, 2016, 02:50:38 PM »
>Clarification request. Who's rack?

« Reply #266 on: February 07, 2016, 03:01:34 PM »
>Clarification request. Who's rack?

>Kagerou may be well-proportioned, but the smoking in this case is being done by a literal fire.

« Reply #267 on: February 07, 2016, 03:05:27 PM »
>If she wasn't already committed, we'd look into setting her up with a fire element-aligned gal to make the gag work.
>But leaving the silly gags aside for the moment...

>"Yup, that's her."
>Wave. "Ahoy!"

« Reply #268 on: February 07, 2016, 03:10:36 PM »
>If she wasn't already committed, we'd look into setting her up with a fire element-aligned gal to make the gag work.
>But leaving the silly gags aside for the moment...

>"Yup, that's her."
>Wave. "Ahoy!"

>Your exuberant greeting seems to catch Kagerou off-guard, but that is nothing compared to look of astonishment that comes over her when she recognizes you. She straightens up and takes a tentative step towards you, almost as if you might become clearer by doing so.
>"....Nazrin?"

« Reply #269 on: February 07, 2016, 03:16:45 PM »
>Smile. "In the flesh!"
>Approach the lycanthrope. "And much less blighted flesh, as well."