Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 15)  (Read 94235 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 15)
« Reply #210 on: February 01, 2016, 08:51:21 AM »
>She appears to have had plenty of time to do bad things to us.
>But the question still remains. She obviously values her privacy very much, and we found her. Why didn't she kill us?
>Based on what we saw of her, if we went back yet again, she'd more than likely do just that, wouldn't she?

>Certainly you were asleep and helpless for a great many hours, a stone's throw from her home. Unless she literally cannot extend her power beyond it for some reason, she's had ample time to harm you if she wished; and you can't imagine Kyouko's presence was much of a disincentive, however dedicated she's been.
>Maybe Yuuka actually had some respect for the agreement the two of you made, for whatever reason? Clearly there was nothing stopping her from just taking the orchid and giving you nothing in return for it; it's not like you could have stopped her. You're not entirely sure what to make of this, to be honest.
>You really wouldn't want to test this theory. If a whim gave you your life back, another could take it away again just as easily.

« Reply #211 on: February 01, 2016, 09:17:45 AM »
>Maybe we can test one of those theories.
>Equip dowsing rods. Let's see if that sense of yours is functioning again.
>And if it does, sweep it over our location and then Yuuka's, to see if there's any sort of power overlap.

« Reply #212 on: February 01, 2016, 09:30:22 AM »
>Maybe we can test one of those theories.
>Equip dowsing rods. Let's see if that sense of yours is functioning again.
>And if it does, sweep it over our location and then Yuuka's, to see if there's any sort of power overlap.

>You're frankly not sure you're up to accomplishing anything useful with this yet, but you decide to try nonetheless. The feel of the dowsing rods in your hand is familiar, even comforting, but the focus needed to separate signal from noise still does not come easily to you. You could never detect very much unusual from Yuuka's garden, even the first time, and that has not changed. There is a distinct sense of something out of the ordinary down there, pervading the whole of the valley, but it is subtle and you can get no handle on exactly what it is; even after setting foot there, you have no solid theories. You're reasonably confident that whatever it is does not extend as far out as your current position, but you have no reason to conclude Yuuka couldn't reach this far if she wanted to.

« Reply #213 on: February 01, 2016, 09:51:49 AM »
>Maybe she has all the space she wants. Suppose that'll be one more question we'll never get answered.
>But now we have the chance to get answers to other questions. And something to tell Minoriko. The tea seems to have been at least moderately successful, if not more, and that's more than she seemed to think existed. Granted, the materials aren't the easiest to come by, but it's something. And we even have some of the flowers to give her if that youkai infected anyone....
>Oh right. If that youkai infected anyone else, they wouldn't have lasted near as long as we did. They didn't have our sword.
>But we can go home again.

>After Kyouko wakes up. That stuff she drank, have we used it or seen it used before? Are we familiar enough with it or something like it to guess at any side effects beyond physical exhaustion?

« Reply #214 on: February 01, 2016, 10:26:30 AM »
>Maybe she has all the space she wants. Suppose that'll be one more question we'll never get answered.
>But now we have the chance to get answers to other questions. And something to tell Minoriko. The tea seems to have been at least moderately successful, if not more, and that's more than she seemed to think existed. Granted, the materials aren't the easiest to come by, but it's something. And we even have some of the flowers to give her if that youkai infected anyone....
>Oh right. If that youkai infected anyone else, they wouldn't have lasted near as long as we did. They didn't have our sword.
>But we can go home again.

>It's an enormous thing, to think you really could go home now. It feels like forever since you've thought of the people there with anything other than mournful longing for faces you might never see again. This... was a very, very long road - exhausting beyond all measure.
>You hope they're all still okay.

>After Kyouko wakes up. That stuff she drank, have we used it or seen it used before? Are we familiar enough with it or something like it to guess at any side effects beyond physical exhaustion?

>You don't know specifically what she took, but you understand that a lot of strength and endurance potions significantly accelerate metabolism and operate, at least partially, by forcing the body to work beyond its normal limits for a short period. This is not without cost; in much the same way that sprinting uses up energy in an unsustainable burst and requires rest afterward, so too does this. Taking another dose without time to recover from the previous one can place an enormous amount of strain on your body, even as the potion itself inhibits your ability to feel this until afterward - like dosing on painkillers until it no longer hurts to run on a broken ankle. Kyouko's a youkai, so she'll probably be fine, but this kind of thing is no joke; taking vigor potions excessively carries a very significant risk of organ damage. And yet, you might be dead if she hadn't....

« Reply #215 on: February 01, 2016, 10:47:26 AM »
>Whisper, "Why did you go so far, for someone you'd known so shortly? A week ago, I was a stranger to you..."
>She needs to rest. And we could still use a bit of downtime ourselves. So let's do a little bit of light, light exercise, just to work some of the kinks out and see how we feel after a bit of work, then moor up somewhere comfortable until Kyouko comes to.

« Reply #216 on: February 01, 2016, 11:08:19 AM »
>Whisper, "Why did you go so far, for someone you'd known so shortly? A week ago, I was a stranger to you..."
>She needs to rest. And we could still use a bit of downtime ourselves. So let's do a little bit of light, light exercise, just to work some of the kinks out and see how we feel after a bit of work, then moor up somewhere comfortable until Kyouko comes to.

>You leave Kyouko to her rest and take a very casual walk around the area to stretch and get your limbs moving again. They still ache, and you're still tired, but it's no longer overwhelming. You feel... more like yourself than you have in a long time now.
>You pause beneath the boughs of a large maple, its leaves dancing on the breeze. It's a good day. The sun is bright, the sky is blue, and the wind is gentle and warm. And you're alive. Above all else, you're alive.
>It's a good day.

>It is several hours, a meal, and a short nap later before you hear the first stirrings from Kyouko that aren't just her rolling over again. She mumbles something unintelligible, then leans up and slowly opens her eyes. And then opens them much wider once the memory of where she is appears to strike her.
>"Nazrin! Are you-" A pause. "Your face! It's... it's...!" She seems to be struggling to find the proper word.

« Reply #217 on: February 01, 2016, 11:13:18 AM »
>Smile. "Good morning."
>Glance up.
>If evening, "Or evening."

« Reply #218 on: February 01, 2016, 11:21:15 AM »
>Smile. "Good morning."
>Glance up.
>If evening, "Or evening."

>It is definitely evening now, even if the light isn't quite gone yet.
>"You... you did it, didn't you?" she says. "You got the cure!"

« Reply #219 on: February 01, 2016, 11:30:31 AM »
>Display our recceeded black spots.
>"I think it actually worked."

« Reply #220 on: February 01, 2016, 11:46:49 AM »
>Display our recceeded black spots.
>"I think it actually worked."

>You stretch out your hands and arms, turning them around to show off just how much the black marks have faded already.
>"It actually worked...." A smile grows on Kyouko's face - from surprised to awed to joyous. And then she is on her feet and all but tackles you with a hug - so abruptly that you barely have time to react.
>"That's wonderful news! Hurray!" Despite her exuberance, the last word trails off in a wince, though you might be wincing yourself after hearing her be so enthusiastic so close to your ears.

« Reply #221 on: February 01, 2016, 12:05:43 PM »
>"I couldn't have done it without you, Kyouko."

« Reply #222 on: February 01, 2016, 12:12:18 PM »
>"I couldn't have done it without you, Kyouko."

>The yamabiko beams. "If you're better now, then it was all worth it."

« Reply #223 on: February 01, 2016, 12:39:10 PM »
>"What about you? You feeling better?"

« Reply #224 on: February 01, 2016, 08:07:11 PM »
>"What about you? You feeling better?"

>"Still kinda sore," she admits. "But that's okay! We made it in time, and that's what matters."

« Reply #225 on: February 02, 2016, 11:06:17 AM »
>Chuckle a bit. "I'm still not sure it's, y'know, hit me yet. I keep thinking, 'well what if I need more, or...' You know. I mean, I've thought of nothing but this for so long now, and now it's over? Kinda hard to digest."

« Reply #226 on: February 02, 2016, 11:45:19 AM »
>Chuckle a bit. "I'm still not sure it's, y'know, hit me yet. I keep thinking, 'well what if I need more, or...' You know. I mean, I've thought of nothing but this for so long now, and now it's over? Kinda hard to digest."

>Kyouko nods sagely, then smiles. "Well, you have a loooong time now to get used to it!"

« Reply #227 on: February 02, 2016, 12:02:04 PM »
>"I sure hope so."
>Glance back towards Yuuka's place. "'course now I've got to get used to a mystery or two. There's still some things I wish I'd had the chance to ask Yuuka before I left."

« Reply #228 on: February 02, 2016, 12:02:43 PM »
>"I sure hope so."
>Glance back towards Yuuka's place. "'course now I've got to get used to a mystery or two. There's still some things I wish I'd had the chance to ask Yuuka before I left."

>"Oh? Like what?"

« Reply #229 on: February 02, 2016, 12:12:30 PM »
>"Like, why she chose to come out here and live like this. If she's as strong as I think she is, she could still be a threat to the world, and yet she.... retired, I guess is the word."
>"And since it's obvious she values her privacy, why did she let me leave? Twice? I could visit every military base between here and Braston and tell everyone who wanted a piece of her exactly where to find her. I mean I WON'T, not a chance, but she doesn't know that."

« Reply #230 on: February 02, 2016, 12:39:50 PM »
>"Like, why she chose to come out here and live like this. If she's as strong as I think she is, she could still be a threat to the world, and yet she.... retired, I guess is the word."
>"And since it's obvious she values her privacy, why did she let me leave? Twice? I could visit every military base between here and Braston and tell everyone who wanted a piece of her exactly where to find her. I mean I WON'T, not a chance, but she doesn't know that."

>"Retired?" Kyouko seems to find this funny. "I know a few people who took up gardening after they retired, but never like this!"
>"Maybe she's not afraid of being found? If she's really that scary. I mean, it'd be a bad idea for anyone to come looking for trouble, wouldn't it?"

« Reply #231 on: February 02, 2016, 12:44:39 PM »
>"That's why I don't plan to tell anyone. It would end up getting a lot of people killed, whether they could beat Yuuka or not, and I'm not going to do that."

« Reply #232 on: February 02, 2016, 12:48:14 PM »
>"That's why I don't plan to tell anyone. It would end up getting a lot of people killed, whether they could beat Yuuka or not, and I'm not going to do that."

>"What did she do that was so bad that so many people would want to come pick a fight with her?" she asks softly.

« Reply #233 on: February 02, 2016, 12:50:32 PM »
>"Apparantly, she was involved in.... was it called the Wild Surge? A war that happened a few decades ago on this continent."

« Reply #234 on: February 02, 2016, 01:02:29 PM »
>"Apparantly, she was involved in.... was it called the Wild Surge? A war that happened a few decades ago on this continent."

>"Really?" Kyouko's eyes widen a little, then she frowns. "I guess she was on the bad guys' side, wasn't she?"

« Reply #235 on: February 02, 2016, 03:10:42 PM »
>"She was. And apparently did a lot of very bad things. I just wish I knew why she stopped. Did something stop her, did she just get tired?" Sigh quietly. "I guess I'll never know. I'm sure as hell not going back to ask. After everything I've been through, I can live with a mystery or two."

« Reply #236 on: February 02, 2016, 07:56:21 PM »
>"She was. And apparently did a lot of very bad things. I just wish I knew why she stopped. Did something stop her, did she just get tired?" Sigh quietly. "I guess I'll never know. I'm sure as hell not going back to ask. After everything I've been through, I can live with a mystery or two."

>Kyouko stares wistfully in the direction of the garden. "And it looked so pretty.... It feels sad to be this close to something incredible and have to turn around; I'd really like to see the garden for myself. But... that'd be a really bad idea, wouldn't it?"

« Reply #237 on: February 03, 2016, 12:14:08 PM »
>Fish around in our pack until we find our spyglass, then offer it to her. "This isn't much, but it's a much better option. Think of that place like a pitcher plant. Really pretty and smells nice, but get too close..."
>"Besides, after everything we've been through, the last thing I'm about to do is let you put yourself in any more danger."

« Reply #238 on: February 03, 2016, 12:37:28 PM »
>Fish around in our pack until we find our spyglass, then offer it to her. "This isn't much, but it's a much better option. Think of that place like a pitcher plant. Really pretty and smells nice, but get too close..."
>"Besides, after everything we've been through, the last thing I'm about to do is let you put yourself in any more danger."

>"I'm not a fly...." Kyouko mumbles as she accepts the offered spyglass, though there is no fire in her protest.
>"No, I understand." She pauses. "Actually, I don't really understand at all, but I trust you; if you say it's too dangerous, I won't go any closer. It's just kind of... sad, you know?"

« Reply #239 on: February 03, 2016, 01:02:11 PM »
>"I do. It's hardly fair, too, you have more of an appreciation for gardens and flowers than I do, too. You'd appreciate her garden in ways that I couldn't. Yuuka might even acknowledge that, but she's too mercurial, too- Hey, I can say mercurial again." Grin, then stop. "Sorry, getting used to that."
>DO we think that Yuuka might tolerate Kyouko more than us?