Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 15)  (Read 92988 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 15)
« Reply #570 on: March 04, 2016, 08:38:14 AM »
>"I guess I just wanted to say that, everything worked out pretty well. And my... client wanted me to thank you. For pointing her in the right direction."

>"Glad to hear it," she says. "Sounded like a messy business."

« Reply #571 on: March 04, 2016, 08:45:35 AM »
>"It was touch and go for a while there. And very little of it pleasant. But it's over, now. And if everything else went well, it'll never happen again."
>"My client also wanted me to inform you that... she owes you. Big time. And that she may not be in a position to properly thank you right now, but, one day..." Smile and shrug. "She takes her debts seriously, I've learned."

« Reply #572 on: March 04, 2016, 09:05:29 AM »
>"It was touch and go for a while there. And very little of it pleasant. But it's over, now. And if everything else went well, it'll never happen again."
>"My client also wanted me to inform you that... she owes you. Big time. And that she may not be in a position to properly thank you right now, but, one day..." Smile and shrug. "She takes her debts seriously, I've learned."

>"Oh, does she now?" Ringo allows herself a little grin. "Well, she knows where to find me. I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon."
>Her underlings exchange quizzical looks with each other, but Ringo pointedly ignores them.
>"Still, tell her I'm easy, either way. Just glad you got things sorted."

« Reply #573 on: March 04, 2016, 09:19:06 AM »
>"So am I. It's been... one heck of a job."
>"I don't suppose you, or maybe your people, are presently in need of a Seeker? My future plans're... a lot more open now."

« Reply #574 on: March 04, 2016, 09:33:01 AM »
>"So am I. It's been... one heck of a job."
>"I don't suppose you, or maybe your people, are presently in need of a Seeker? My future plans're... a lot more open now."

>"We usually work in-house for anything like that," Ringo says.
>"I, uh... I lost a hat the other day," one of her underlings offers. "If you're working pro bono."
>Ringo throws her a frown so withering that the gatekeeper actually seems to shrink.

« Reply #575 on: March 04, 2016, 09:41:48 AM »
>Laugh, then catch ourselves and clear throat. "Perhaps not. Still, can't blame a mouse for asking."

« Reply #576 on: March 04, 2016, 10:29:42 AM »
>Laugh, then catch ourselves and clear throat. "Perhaps not. Still, can't blame a mouse for asking."

>Ringo shrugs lightly. "Just part of the job."

« Reply #577 on: March 06, 2016, 06:41:05 AM »
>"That it is."
>"And since I seem to need a new one, I suppose I should get back to it."
>"And... thanks again."

« Reply #578 on: March 06, 2016, 07:10:44 AM »
>"That it is."
>"And since I seem to need a new one, I suppose I should get back to it."
>"And... thanks again."

>"Don't mention it," she says, with the barest suggestion of a wink. "And good luck out  there."

« Reply #579 on: March 06, 2016, 08:53:44 AM »
>Well that takes care of business here.
>Gauge time.

« Reply #580 on: March 06, 2016, 09:03:56 AM »
>Gauge time.

>You think it's a little after 10 PM.

« Reply #581 on: March 06, 2016, 09:07:06 AM »
>Probably too late to go back and see Dai. Even if we knew where to find her. And not enough money to have any kind of victory feast. One that a werewolf didn't make, anyway.
>Best mosey on back to Kyouko's pad.

« Reply #582 on: March 06, 2016, 09:59:46 AM »
>Probably too late to go back and see Dai. Even if we knew where to find her. And not enough money to have any kind of victory feast. One that a werewolf didn't make, anyway.
>Best mosey on back to Kyouko's pad.

>Electing not to run any more errands tonight, you instead make your way back to Kyouko's apartment - and after three or four unnecessary detours, actually find it again! As it turns out, there are no less than five separate buildings in that district only superficially distinct from her own, and none of them on the same street; the fact that the roadmap resembles a plate of discarded spaghetti doesn't help matters, either. At least you can remember her apartment number itself with reasonable confidence, but there is still no answer when you knock on the door.

« Reply #583 on: March 06, 2016, 10:49:07 AM »
>Well she did say we were in for a bit of a wait.
>Did we notice any roof access to this place?

« Reply #584 on: March 06, 2016, 10:57:02 AM »
>Well she did say we were in for a bit of a wait.
>Did we notice any roof access to this place?

>She did say it was possible.
>It's possible there could be a roof exit if you climbed up further flights of stairs; you've never been above the second floor, and the stairwell is too narrow to get a good look at what's at the top.

« Reply #585 on: March 06, 2016, 11:06:05 AM »
>Let's have an explore.

« Reply #586 on: March 06, 2016, 11:07:54 PM »
>Let's have an explore.

>You ascend the rest of the stairs, passing by the upper floor apartments and then a flight beyond to arrive at a single unmarked door. If it isn't a maintenance closet of some kind, it's almost certainly roof access. It is, however, locked.

« Reply #587 on: March 08, 2016, 01:09:03 AM »
>Locks are easy. But then again, we shouldn't inconvenience Kyouko.
>Perhaps, a short meander. Familiarize ourselves with the neighbourhood. See what ammenities are around. See if we-
>Wait a second, better idea. Back to the Guild Hall. Let's see what they have for work in the offering.

« Reply #588 on: March 28, 2016, 06:01:30 PM »
>Locks are easy. But then again, we shouldn't inconvenience Kyouko.
>Perhaps, a short meander. Familiarize ourselves with the neighbourhood. See what ammenities are around. See if we-
>Wait a second, better idea. Back to the Guild Hall. Let's see what they have for work in the offering.

>You idly consider obtaining roof access through means of dubious legality, but decide to use this time to drop in on guildhall instead. It's a long trek back across town, and you frankly should have done this when you were already in the neighbourhood, but you're in such good spirits lately that you barely mind; you feel as though you could march back and forth across the city until dawn and scarcely be any worse for it.

>The guildhall is subdued when you arrive, though not quite silent; a pair of voices in animated conversation drift down from the upstairs lounge and another Seeker peruses the job boards alongside you - a wiry, blue-haired woman whose jacket appears to have lost a fight with a lawnmower at some point. You share a collegial nod.

>Even in Val Razua, it seems there's no escaping job notices barely worth the time it takes to read them - from the inane to the unfeasible to the criminally underpaid. And did you really just suffer through two whole pages of the most outrageously florid handwriting only to find the ad was looking for a babysitter?
>"Half a mind to throw that one in the trash m'self," the woman says as she catches you gawking at it. "But the fines are a real bugger."

>As for more legitimate offers, there's the usual requests for recovery of stolen property (or possibly theft of someone else's property - one needs to be careful who one works for), some offers of finder's fees for highly specific antiques, courier work, a contract with a mineralogical survey, and even a few missing persons' notices, though several are dated quite some months ago. Not hopeful.
>There's also a few recruitment offers from some of the lesser Houses, but even if the positions paid well, you're not about to tie yourself to Val Razua just yet. You need work that can be done in a short timeframe and without going too far afield. That writes off the expeditions to the Wild Lands and an otherwise-intriguing assaying contract in Meijima. Something for later.

>All in all, you come away with a half-dozen jobs worth looking into - not necessarily the most lucrative work, but local and short-term. Somehow, one of them involves looking for a cat again. What is it with witches and misplacing cats? Maybe they should start keeping them on a leash; would be better for the mice, too.

« Reply #589 on: March 28, 2016, 11:53:23 PM »
>What was Meijima again?
>Job at the top of our list?
>Will the next pause be so... long?

« Reply #590 on: March 29, 2016, 01:14:05 PM »
>What was Meijima again?

>An island nation far to the north of Val Razua. It is unique among populated lands in drifting in and out of contact with the aether currents that allow airship access to the rest of the world, sometimes for decades at a time. It's been accessible for as long as you've been alive and you don't think it's predicted to become isolated again for at least a few more years, but it nonetheless has the vibe of being one step removed from the rest of the world. It's also supposedly teeming with ghosts.

>Job at the top of our list?

>Probably some of the property-retrieval jobs. They can range from straightforward to impossible, but it's good to have the details in hand early; you never know when you might stumble across a clue while doing something else. It's probably too late to look into any of them tonight, but at least you're armed for tomorrow.

>Will the next pause be so... long?

>Insomnia's a real jerk.

« Reply #591 on: March 29, 2016, 03:37:59 PM »
>Well if work can wait until tomorrow, then we can wait for it. May as well meander back to Kyouko's, then.
>Unless it's still too early, then we can take the scenic route.

« Reply #592 on: March 29, 2016, 03:49:52 PM »
>Well if work can wait until tomorrow, then we can wait for it. May as well meander back to Kyouko's, then.
>Unless it's still too early, then we can take the scenic route.

>You have no way of knowing whether Kyouko will be back by the time you return, so you decide to take a leisurely route across the city, weaving through a small park you pass by and stopping here and there to snoop around buildings that catch your interest. Whether because of your detours or not, this time when you knock on her apartment door, she answers it.
>"I was just wondering when you'd get back here," she says.

« Reply #593 on: March 29, 2016, 05:28:48 PM »
>"I took the scenic route back."

« Reply #594 on: March 29, 2016, 06:18:21 PM »
>"I took the scenic route back."

>"See anything interesting?" she asks as she opens the door and beckons you in.

« Reply #595 on: March 30, 2016, 10:38:35 PM »
>As we enter, "I see you, that's pretty interesting."

« Reply #596 on: March 30, 2016, 10:59:43 PM »
>As we enter, "I see you, that's pretty interesting."

>Kyouko snorts and gives you a halfhearted swat. "Nazrin!"

« Reply #597 on: April 01, 2016, 01:10:32 AM »
>Grin. "Or not?"

« Reply #598 on: April 01, 2016, 01:40:19 AM »
>Grin. "Or not?"

>"I meant something out there, silly." Then she putters off towards the kitchen. "I picked up some raisin biscuits on my way home. Would you like one?"

« Reply #599 on: April 02, 2016, 10:40:24 PM »
>"Please."
>"Enough to remind me just how big this city really is. Especially with all the time I've spent out in the wilderness lately."