Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 15)  (Read 94149 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 15)
« Reply #510 on: February 25, 2016, 04:00:58 AM »
>Think back. Was she still a... a full goddess, for want of a better term? Or did she ever give the impression that she'd left some of her divinity behind?

« Reply #511 on: February 25, 2016, 04:12:39 AM »
>Think back. Was she still a... a full goddess, for want of a better term? Or did she ever give the impression that she'd left some of her divinity behind?

>You don't really know, to be honest. Minoriko didn't like to talk much about her divinity and preferred to be treated no differently than any other member of the community. A lot of people still attributed Easthaven's great fertility to her, but she typically denied playing much role in this. It's said that a god's power stems from the faith people place in them, so it's possible she had more of it in the days that she was worshiped openly, but those were very long before your time, and possibly before Easthaven existed at all. All the time you've known her, she's just been a friendly lady who makes great soup; even the display of power inherent in the soil she gave you was atypically showy of her.

« Reply #512 on: February 25, 2016, 04:25:30 AM »
>"She could pass for any other human. And that's how she liked it, too. I think she's a lot more comfortable now, being closer to a mortal than a god. I gathered that being a god isn't all that we mortals might crack it up to be."

« Reply #513 on: February 25, 2016, 04:51:50 AM »
>"She could pass for any other human. And that's how she liked it, too. I think she's a lot more comfortable now, being closer to a mortal than a god. I gathered that being a god isn't all that we mortals might crack it up to be."

>"Just imagine having to listen to all those prayers, all the time! I mean, it might be kinda fun at first? But trying to handle a hundred requests at once, all over the world, must be a huge responsibility! How do they keep them all straight?" She pauses. "Actually, maybe that's why most gods seem kinda inattentive, most of the time - they're all distracted listening to other people. ...does this means that the best god to worship is one that almost everyone else has forgotten about?"

« Reply #514 on: February 25, 2016, 05:19:52 AM »
>"Trick there is, how would you find one?"

« Reply #515 on: February 25, 2016, 05:26:53 AM »
>"Trick there is, how would you find one?"

>"Oh, that's a good point. Maybe an... old book in an old library?" she offers with a tentative smile.

« Reply #516 on: February 25, 2016, 05:40:22 AM »
>Chuckle. "I'll look one up for you next time I have to delve into ancient history."

« Reply #517 on: February 25, 2016, 05:55:43 AM »
>Chuckle. "I'll look one up for you next time I have to delve into ancient history."

>"I wonder if any gods like that are still around? You'd need to be forgotten enough to have lots of free time, but not so forgotten that you stopped existing, and with a power that could could still be useful without a lot of faith to give oomph to it. Like... a god of finding stuff you lost in your closet?" She laughs. "I'd pray to that god!"

« Reply #518 on: February 26, 2016, 12:01:12 AM »
>"Oh, I can help ya there. It's called 'my dowsing rods'."

« Reply #519 on: February 26, 2016, 12:24:24 AM »
>"Oh, I can help ya there. It's called 'my dowsing rods'."

>"Yeah, but if I start praying to you, it'd just make the sex really awkward." She laughs.

« Reply #520 on: February 26, 2016, 01:25:03 AM »
>"Aherm...."
>Blush.

« Reply #521 on: February 26, 2016, 01:37:38 AM »
>"Aherm...."
>Blush.

>Kyouko watches you squirm for a moment, then giggles softly. "You're adorable when you're shy, you know."
>She plants another kiss on your lips.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #522 on: February 26, 2016, 02:22:18 AM »
>"Hey now..."
>"I'm adorable all the time."

« Reply #523 on: February 26, 2016, 02:55:53 AM »
>Not used to being shy... That'll take some adjusting to.

« Reply #524 on: February 26, 2016, 02:58:54 AM »
>"Hey now..."
>"I'm adorable all the time."

>You can already see Kyouko forming a counterargument as you start to speak, but whatever it was falls apart with laughter at the words which come out of your mouth.
>"That's a much better response than the one I was expecting!"

>Not used to being shy... That'll take some adjusting to.

>Being with Kyouko has shown you parts of yourself you're not sure you knew existed. It's been... an experience.

« Reply #525 on: February 26, 2016, 03:34:48 AM »
>A whole 'nother reason to want to return to Val R. Who'd have guessed that at the start of this sleigh ride?
>Once the giggling girl collects herself, "Dare I ask?"

« Reply #526 on: February 26, 2016, 03:58:48 AM »
>A whole 'nother reason to want to return to Val R. Who'd have guessed that at the start of this sleigh ride?
>Once the giggling girl collects herself, "Dare I ask?"

>"Well, I figured you were going to be all 'I'm a serious and capable Seeker who's definitely never adorable; I have standards and expectations of myself!' And I like that side of you, too! But this one's sweeter."

« Reply #527 on: February 26, 2016, 04:10:14 AM »
>Chuckle. "That sounds like me, all right. And... Well, maybe I have lost some of my edge."
>Run our fingers through her hair. "But I like what I found instead."

« Reply #528 on: February 26, 2016, 04:23:49 AM »
>Chuckle. "That sounds like me, all right. And... Well, maybe I have lost some of my edge."
>Run our fingers through her hair. "But I like what I found instead."

>Kyouko smiles as you run your fingers through her hair. "You haven't lost your edge. You're just... more willing to keep it sheathed until you really need it. I'm sure if trouble broke out downstairs, you'd be there with a scowl and a plan in no time!"

« Reply #529 on: February 26, 2016, 05:08:16 AM »
>"I think I can live with that."

« Reply #530 on: February 27, 2016, 09:08:11 PM »
>"I think I can live with that."

>"Good."
>You and Kyouko snuggle in silence for another little while until, with great reluctance, you separate just long enough to straighten out the sheets and settle in beneath them. You nestle close to Kyouko again, still feeling sheltered by the warmth of her skin against yours. Your mind is awash in emotions, but your heart so at peace that it is only a few minutes more before sleep claims you. If Kyouko was watching, you're certain you fell asleep with a smile on your face.

>Kyouko is already up and dressed by the time you awaken. You feel a brief pang of melancholy for the empty spot in your bed before chastening yourself; even if you've gone and fallen in love, you still have some standards. And besides, she did offer you her own for later.... After another lazy minute, you rise, clean, and dress yourself, and then the two of you have a serviceable breakfast before finding a way to pass the time until the riverboat arrives.

>Isir's Cross is, as expected, light on entertainment. You circumnavigate almost the entire settlement in less than an hour, after which Kyouko drags you up the hillside to get a better view of it. The wind is surprisingly chilly today and your vantage offers little shelter from it, but the curve of the valley below allows you to follow the river's course for many miles upstream.

>"How many hours away you do you think that is?" Kyouko asks, pointing to the furthest spot where the river is still visible.
>"Probably just one." As much as the river meanders, a boat can still cover a lot of distance in that length of time.
>"Oh." Kyouko seems slightly disappointed. Maybe she'd hoped you could spot the ferry on its journey downriver, but seems content enough when you point out a smaller vessel on its way to Val Razua, barely more than a speck on the horizon at this distance.

>For the rest of the afternoon, you apply yourself to hunting down any quick jobs that could earn you a few guilders before departure. You don't manage to find any, but somehow walk away richer nonetheless, courtesy of your dowsing rods and a five guilder coin someone lost in a bush. Every little bit counts.

>The ferry back to Val Razua is pleasant in itself, if rather draining of the last of your funds. You eschew a private cabin this time for reasons of economy, though find yourself a little wistful of it now that you have someone you'd like to be private with. While there are no card sharks to foil or rich ladies to overpay for your services this time, you still make a couple guilders finding someone's lost wallet and win thirty more playing darts with a hawkish man in an atrocious feathered cap.

>"I thought it was kind of jaunty," Kyouko says afterward, and even for her sake, you struggle to keep your eyes from rolling out of their sockets. She'd watched the whole match from the sidelines, cheering every time you scored a bullseye; it was more distracting than helpful, to be honest, but you can't really complain when she's so earnest about it. Plus you think it annoyed your opponant, which you also can't complain about; anyone who looks like they starch their face in the morning deserves a little comeuppance. And besides, if you hadn't cleaned him out, he'd probably just have spent his winnings on another stupid hat; it was practically a public service!

>The riverboat pulls into Val Razua late the following evening. You feel a sense of finality as you disembark, as if with this last step off the ferry, your ordeal in the wilderness is finally concluded.

>"Hello again, home!" Kyouko announces to no one in particular, unfazed as ever by the looks this attracts. Her ears flutter merrily at the bustle of the waterfront. All around you are shops and storehouses, brick-clad apartments and bridges, and the cobblestone streets which run between them, awash with people. "I've missed the sound of this place."

« Reply #531 on: February 28, 2016, 11:25:43 PM »
>"What's that old saying, 'home sweet home?'"

« Reply #532 on: February 28, 2016, 11:49:55 PM »
>"What's that old saying, 'home sweet home?'"

>"Home sweet home," she agrees, surveying the familiar landscape with a smile.

« Reply #533 on: February 29, 2016, 12:38:08 AM »
>Current cash on hand.
>Scratch that.
>Inventory.

« Reply #534 on: February 29, 2016, 01:05:15 AM »
>Inventory.

>Kumokirimaru (worn at side)
>Prism Pendant (around neck)
>Seeker's Badge (pinned to chest)
>47 Val Razuan guilders
>Compass
>Traveling pack
>2 canteens
>Lockpicks
>4 kunai
>Picture of Sokrates
>Fuwafuwa Heart Droplet
>Antique Val Razuan 1 guilder coin
>Dowsing rods
>Tie-dyed umbrella
>Spool of baling twine
>Bottle of Kumokirimaru-imbued medicine (mostly empty)
>Empty sachet
>List of physicians' contact addresses
>Neu's note
>Pencil
>100 feet of rope
>2 glowsticks
>Torch
>Small heatstone
>Basic grappling hook
>Blue ribbon
>Two spare outfits (one somewhat damaged, and the other in need of laundering)
>Piece of peppermint-raspberry chewing gum
>Recipe for Athran's Vigor
>Potted Bittercress (half of it still in flower)
>Empty vial
>Chitsuki Ukizaki's business card
>Heavy black cloak
>Waterproof sleeping bag
>Survival knife
>Spyglass

« Reply #535 on: February 29, 2016, 01:18:35 AM »
>Take a breath and look around. "This is actually the first time I've been here where I didn't really need to hurry. I can take in the sights properly this time."

« Reply #536 on: February 29, 2016, 01:36:13 AM »
>Take a breath and look around. "This is actually the first time I've been here where I didn't really need to hurry. I can take in the sights properly this time."

>"Well, then I'll have to make sure to show you a few of my favorite places!"

« Reply #537 on: February 29, 2016, 01:52:49 AM »
>"I'd like that."
>"But I suppose first things come first."
>Which way was it to the airship harbor from here?
>If we don't know/can't remember, ask Kyouko.

« Reply #538 on: February 29, 2016, 02:34:43 AM »
>"I'd like that."
>"But I suppose first things come first."
>Which way was it to the airship harbor from here?
>If we don't know/can't remember, ask Kyouko.

>"And what's that?" she asks.
>The airship port is a considerable distance to the northeast - practically on the other side of the city. You remember the general location well, though.

« Reply #539 on: February 29, 2016, 02:49:19 AM »
>"I should check to see if the Maiden's still in town. If it is, I'll need to talk to Neu or Murasa to see where they're going next. And if it isn't, then I'll be staying in town for some time."