Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey (+Persona Q) Thread - New EO Games For Everyone!~  (Read 121594 times)

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
Re: Etrian Odyssey (+Persona Q) Thread - New EO Games For Everyone!~
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2014, 07:30:34 PM »
"You don't have any Goho-Ms with you.  Are you sure you want to get going right now?"

That's the most useful warning message ever.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 07:52:01 PM »
"You don't have any Goho-Ms with you.  Are you sure you want to get going right now?"

This sounds absolutely amazing.  More games of this ilk need to do this.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 08:25:51 PM »

I will hold that message to my heart.
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 08:32:10 PM »

Considering I forget to buy Threads/Warp Wires on a regular basis, this is hella useful. plz put this in future EO games atlus

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 08:57:46 PM »
Considering I forget to buy Threads/Warp Wires on a regular basis, this is hella useful. plz put this in future EO games atlus
I can confirm EOU2 does NOT do this, so...maybe EO5 will have it :V

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2014, 12:14:23 AM »
First look at the Mystery Dungeon crossover

Plus have another couple nice bonuses I'm finding as I play PQ:
- DLC Personae are free to summon from the compendium the first time
- the floor completion chests can be opened with Play Coins (but man that's no fun :V)

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2014, 12:42:58 AM »
- the floor completion chests can be opened with Play Coins (but man that's no fun :V)
oh thank god no walking on every single damage tile

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2014, 12:45:59 AM »

yeah it's true my "that's no fun" was from the perspective of being too early for that shit yet and I'm sure I'll love it later :V

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 02:15:41 AM »
Yup.

Thing is that the cost for opening the chests is not cheap in terms of play coins - it goes down as you explore more but it can apparently cost a couple hundred play coins (and if you game over before you save you don't get them refunded).

Oh well.

Maybe I'll actually get through the first stratum at work tonight and I can start getting the P3 cast.

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 03:02:23 AM »
My copy arrived today. Too bad I'm at a family friend's house for the next few days for Thanksgiving. orz

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2014, 03:44:12 AM »
I'm just taking my time on the first Labyrinth grinding and collecting materials it's worth doing since you can collect all of the yen can by rack up abusing Power Spots and grinding, also I pocketed my Kaguya to Rise until further notice I'm so happy though about Marie. <3
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 03:47:34 AM by MewMewHeart »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2014, 11:48:17 AM »
Fuck Risky mode.

It's apparently identical to Hard other than the "if the MC dies you're done" rule and frankly after getting ambushed and wiped instantly on the third floor I think I already have had my fill of this and may restart on hard.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2014, 03:36:23 PM »
My copy unexpectedly showed up the day after release and I played for around an hour ladt night. No particular comments since I don't know EO very well, but this feels like a Persona game.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2014, 04:14:07 PM »
My copy unexpectedly showed up the day after release and I played for around an hour ladt night. No particular comments since I don't know EO very well, but this feels like a Persona game.
It does a pretty good job feeling like both, honestly.  90% of the mechanics and systems are EO; but the remaining 10% are visibly Persona and then the entire thing is wrapped up in Persona paint.   So it does a really good job of being both.

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2014, 08:36:29 PM »
So uhhhh why are beasts in EO2 bad again? I can't tell if they got buffed in EOU2(they probably did) or I'm just a derp and this is how they've always been :V

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2014, 05:24:46 AM »
Sorry if these are questions that have been answered a bunch before, but I got questions.

First, what exactly qualifies for a 100% map completion? Do I just need to draw in the walls and floors, or do I need to get every icon and stuff too? How flexible is the requirement? And should I expect/try to get full maps the first time I visit a floor, or is there stuff I'll need to return for later?

Second, what is a pursuit attack and how are they triggered? They seem to happen completely randomly, usually (but possible not always?) involving Aigis.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2014, 05:52:18 AM »
Sorry if these are questions that have been answered a bunch before, but I got questions.

First, what exactly qualifies for a 100% map completion? Do I just need to draw in the walls and floors, or do I need to get every icon and stuff too? How flexible is the requirement? And should I expect/try to get full maps the first time I visit a floor, or is there stuff I'll need to return for later?

Second, what is a pursuit attack and how are they triggered? They seem to happen completely randomly, usually (but possible not always?) involving Aigis.
For 100% map completion you need to waaaaaaaaaalk all over the tiles like once. It's worth noting auto mapping helps with the floors and walls, but not the icons. It's best you place the icons as accurate as possible in order to make it's more easier on the memory. The 100% requirement chests are also helpful in locating places you haven't walked/explored yet.

Also...
Spoiler:
How the fuck do you beat the Queen of Hearts she keeps eating my SP up?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 05:55:07 AM by MewMewHeart »

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2014, 05:57:28 AM »
Also...
Spoiler:
How the fuck do you beat the Queen of Hearts she keeps eating my SP up?

Weird, I don't remember her doing that to me and even though
Spoiler:
that's right before the casts meet up
I can't imagine there being
Spoiler:
two drastically different versions
. Maybe I just got lucky?

FWIW I tossed out the occasional status ailment but I mostly just punched her to death, liberal application of Death Counter and Healing Breeze with spot healing as needed and AOEs to try to wipe the summons out quick.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2014, 06:09:48 AM »
For 100% map completion you need to waaaaaaaaaalk all over the tiles like once. It's worth noting auto mapping helps with the floors and walls, but not the icons. It's best you place the icons as accurate as possible in order to make it's more easier on the memory. The 100% requirement chests are also helpful in locating places you haven't walked/explored yet.

Wait, what? Do I not get the completion if I just draw in the tiles without walking on them? That seems weird.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2014, 06:21:35 AM »
So uhhhh why are beasts in EO2 bad again? I can't tell if they got buffed in EOU2(they probably did) or I'm just a derp and this is how they've always been :V
It had to do with how one of their key skills, Loyalty, worked.  It was supposed to auto-cover for party members, and it did - the problem was they then took the damage that said party member would have, instead of it being calculated by the Beast's own much higher defensive stats.  Loyalty was a mandatory skill to level for access to a lot of the beast's good moves... but it essentially backfired and caused your beast to freqently and spontaneously explode.

Wait, what? Do I not get the completion if I just draw in the tiles without walking on them? That seems weird.
That's correct.  The map chest, when interacting with it, will 'glow' areas where you haven't actually walked if you lose track.  You can also use play coins to pay for the remaining percentage - with the note that it costs 3x the amount of missing percent (if you've got 90% completion, then you're lacking 10%, so it costs 30).

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2014, 04:19:20 PM »
It had to do with how one of their key skills, Loyalty, worked.  It was supposed to auto-cover for party members, and it did - the problem was they then took the damage that said party member would have, instead of it being calculated by the Beast's own much higher defensive stats.  Loyalty was a mandatory skill to level for access to a lot of the beast's good moves... but it essentially backfired and caused your beast to freqently and spontaneously explode.

Welp. That definitely doesn't happen in EOU2 so I guess they got buffed!

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2014, 05:16:15 PM »
Weird, I don't remember her doing that to me and even though
Spoiler:
that's right before the casts meet up
I can't imagine there being
Spoiler:
two drastically different versions
. Maybe I just got lucky?

FWIW I tossed out the occasional status ailment but I mostly just punched her to death, liberal application of Death Counter and Healing Breeze with spot healing as needed and AOEs to try to wipe the summons out quick.
Spoiler:
MC, Yosuke, Chie for front row while Yukiko and Naoto took the back row.
I was doing so good until I ran out of juice, but omg when
Spoiler:
the P3 cast showed up with Mass Destruction playing
I was fangasming everywhere going
Spoiler:
MOTHER FUCKING PERSONA 3
AAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
  • in the emptiness of reason.
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2014, 08:52:10 PM »
I was fangasming everywhere going [...] AAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!
I think you mean BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! </Two Thumbs and Not Funny>
I need an option, a reason, and some hope.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2014, 08:49:51 PM »
Just bought Persona Q, and about to start playing it :3

Gonna hope I can make maps with this screwed-up touch screen w
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2014, 10:33:52 PM »
After some experimentation and general dicking around I've settled on a team.  I have Yu, Chie, and Aigis up front with Yukiko and Satosi in the back.

Yu is balanced.  Really, really balanced, at Lv20 his St, Ma, En are 27 and Ag is 25 and Lu is 23.  He's my lightning guy.  Because I don't know why, but I have no lightning skills outside of him.
Chie is my main physical attacker.  She's the Landsknecht of the game.  In her game she "Meh" for most of it with her weaker attacks and low SP.  But here, you can give her Elemental Links or other Elemental Attacks or multihit and watch her eat everything with her crazy criticals.
Aigis is my tank.  Her HP is huge and she comes with Swordbreaker.  I've been trying to get -unda skills on her or attacks that lower their skills.
Yukiko is like the opposite of Chie.  She's not as good in this one as in her game.  She was the best healer, but not so much here for one reason: she's really, really slow.  Usually going last.  But she still has a lot of SP and Mg so she'll be my primary caster.
Satosi (P3MC), I wasn't planning on using him.  I assumed he'd have the same growth as Yu.  I was wrong, he accels at Mg and Ag, making him a great healer.
I took Fuuka or Rise for healing purposes.

What team is everyone else using?  With 20-ish people with mostly customizable skills, I want to see what everyone else came up with.

Just bought Persona Q, and about to start playing it :3

Gonna hope I can make maps with this screwed-up touch screen w

You can always turn on auto-mapping.  I think the only thing it doesn't do are icons and shortcuts.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2014, 12:44:10 AM »
You can always turn on auto-mapping.  I think the only thing it doesn't do are icons and shortcuts.
It also doesn't color the ground, it always does gray for the floors (I like having the map color match the floor's color).

As for teams, I'm still using Yu/Chie/Teddie/Yuki/Zen, seems to be doing fine so far...Sorry to hear about Yukiko, I guess I'll have more of a reason to use Yukari once I unlock her. I'm still only on BF2 tho... orz

Pokemon what have you done to me

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2014, 12:55:04 AM »
I'm just wrapping up the third floor of the first dungeon (have the stairs located, but there are a few bits of map left that I'm still uncovering). My team right now (P3) is Protagonist, Akihiko, Yukari, Zen/Rei, and Aigis. It's probably going to end up being Protagonist, Kanji, Naoto, Zen/Rei, Aigis once I get the rest of the characters. Not sure if that team has enough healing, but so far between Fuuka, Rei, and Protagonist I don't feel like I need a dedicated healer.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2014, 01:30:34 AM »
Should I train everyone evenly, or train five at a time and level the others up when I need to have everyone ready for something?
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2014, 03:29:39 AM »
Because the main character in Persona games is so flexible I've never bothered to level everyone evenly. Once I find a team of characters I like the rest of them never see the light of day again. That's especially true of Persona games with skill cards, and I assume even more true with sub-Personas. Unless this game is way harder than I expect it to be you can probably get away with doing pretty much whatever. So only bother to level everyone if you want to for some reason, because I doubt you'll ever regret just focusing on your favorites.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2014, 03:47:35 AM »
Because the main character in Persona games is so flexible I've never bothered to level everyone evenly. Once I find a team of characters I like the rest of them never see the light of day again. That's especially true of Persona games with skill cards, and I assume even more true with sub-Personas. Unless this game is way harder than I expect it to be you can probably get away with doing pretty much whatever. So only bother to level everyone if you want to for some reason, because I doubt you'll ever regret just focusing on your favorites.
I might train some of the P3 cast when I get them.