Author Topic: Himelander Mafia Thread (Over! Scum Win!)  (Read 72149 times)

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
Re: Himelander Mafia Thread (Over! Scum Win!)
« Reply #780 on: February 26, 2010, 03:17:35 PM »
Anonymous means nothing to the eyes of the blind.

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #781 on: February 26, 2010, 03:20:09 PM »
I'm ambivalent about this game. First, I am appalled at just how bitchy and overall incivil I was. I owe every player in this game an apology on that alone. I owe Bardiche, Kefit, Alex, Alice, and Chaore (and I think Kiro possibly?) a special apology for shitting up the game. I can't really convey my regret over the internet so I guess I pretty much have to leave it at "sorry I was such a bitch to all of you"

Now, on the good side, I correctly called Rou town, and I had Kiro pegged as scum since D2, and pretty much kept that read throughout the game except for a couple spots where I still didn't let up all the way. But, as Kilga says, that's only 1/3rd of playing a good townie. I have to convince the town I'm right and convince the town I'm town. If I had posted a case on Kiro D2 that was in the same format as my final case on Alex, I might have actually secured his lynch (assuming I could find enough at that point, I'm not sure I could have). Course, I did get overconfident EVERY TIME I had a scum team portrayed, so that lead me in a lot of directions that needn't have been gone to. If I hadn't tunnelled on Alex at the end there's a slight chance I might have caught Alice. But, I'll be honest. I wasn't going to catch K4U. Despite her bad behavior, I basically had her as confirmed town for her role. Which was one of MANY stupid mistakes I made this game.

Overall, better luck next time, and I'll try to back off the emotion as much as I can. Fortunately, I'm not playing next game, I'm running it, assuming I'm not probated or anything like that. I think we can come to an equitable agreement.

If it means anything, I might end up playing the anonymous round, but only because it means I get to play a game where taking the slightest step out of my meta DOESN'T get me lynched. Honestly, we need more anonymous rounds on this board. Just look at RPGDL - Suwako's onto the right idea, IMO.

One of my greatest feats of logic was in an anonymous game. It was rather impressive. I'm unsure if I would have been able to do that if I knew the players. But I don't know for sure.

EvilTom

• Reimu is always welcome on /d/
« Reply #782 on: February 26, 2010, 03:26:22 PM »
Eh, Alex going "ET and Ciato are scummiest, they should be on the same time" and sounding reasonable about it was scary for us. In scumchat we figured that an immediate head for a head was a good trade, and sacrificing the two people who Alex found as scum was also acceptable enough. I felt bad that Ciato wasn't around for this discussion at all, since I got her killed. Sorry :(
But getting a definite head and losing 2 people we were problably going to lose wasn't bad. I wasn't playing well at all.
I was really surprised scum got the opportunity to unilaterally take heads like that. Kamikaze!

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #783 on: February 26, 2010, 03:44:43 PM »
It turned out with 2 scum down because of Scum, not because of Alex. Alex made a suggestion like everyone else, that happened to be right, and Scum decided to act poorly off of that. He did NOT get anyone to see the obvious. He didn't even provide a clear case, his D1 and D2 posts contained a distinct LACK of scum hunting, and he only didn't get lynched overall BECAUSE of Tom's actions.

Tom, essentially, MADE Alex town. Didn't you hear me? He made this town.

Frankly, I've said it once and I say it again. Even AFTER THAT he still managed to get people seriously considering if he was scum. Mostly because he was terrible overall. Just want this straight off my chest, because Alex/Cid/A lot of townies ticked me off in this regard.

UK is fine though. S'alright kittenbuddy. I honestly do not blame anyone that thought I was scum.

The fact Alice thought I was town was the only thing about him I ever found alarming.

Carthrat

• HITLER OF LURKERS
  • MEIN MAIDENKAMPF
« Reply #784 on: February 26, 2010, 03:50:10 PM »
Additionally, the scumchat pretty much daily featured an 'Oh fuck, it's the alex!' segment at 12 o'clock sharp for the entire game. Just, y'know, saying.  Someone who can have that kind of psychological impact upon the enemy is, well... valuable? A bit?

I suppose this is information only I was privy too, though. Ah well.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #785 on: February 26, 2010, 03:55:57 PM »
The thing is, did Alex even CATCH any scum after Tom and Ciato. I grant that Alex's reputation and apparently calming effect on the game was powerful, but as I said in my reread, he didn't feel like he was putting in any real effort, or was honestly trying to scum hunt.

Obviously I was wrong. Don't get me wrong, Alex did have a valuable effect on the game. I'd probably not have sobered up at all in later days without him and just gotten lynched for being irritating (which happened anyway but it took longer and I was starting to get somewhere, though I tunnelled on Alex too much). I just don't think scum had as much cause to be scared as they seem to have been.

Chaore

« Reply #786 on: February 26, 2010, 04:06:04 PM »
After D2? Because that was justified, as he was pretty much just shy of confirmed. His words meant a shitload.

And despite that, he actually got a case on him. Still.

He didn't even push on K4U or Alice. And if anyone thought people would buy his 'Kill off the lurkers and send us HURTLING TO LYLO', they're a god damn fucking moron. He didn't devise a case on Kiro, that was UK. He didn't devise a case on Alice, he just said hes a lurker so he should die. He didn't even touch K4U, the closest she got to slipping up was saying 'Yeah, I've never really posted anything on you but I'm sure everyone's said enough'.

Alex did nothing. He was an irritatingly bad player that was 'confirmed'. Nothing. Else.

NinjaUK: My point exactly. Probably better said.

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
« Reply #787 on: February 26, 2010, 04:12:38 PM »
This game sure was a mess.

I actually felt Scum had very little control in this game. Day 1 challenge occurs out of the blue and then Tom and Ciato are fingered. I initially felt we got lucky Day 2 with the Hime Star setup and secured the 1 Town head for 2 Scum sacrifice rather than a possible Scum v Scum setup in Day 2. Carth's opinion to actually consider lynching Ciato/Alex Day 2 isn't something I considered. Has some merit I guess. And in the middle of Day 3, we get Cid's copclaim and I understand what my vig is for. But I'm nervous as hell because while Cid needs to be killed, Alex is setting up to look like a Super Townie.

Day 4, it seems pretty obvious Alice and K4U aren't looking Townie enough to be able to take people out. UK's accusation of me in Day 2 (she got me for exactly the right reason why I was scummy all game) weighed on me so it didn't look like I'd get a shot at a kill either. Serp picked up on me (for somewhat the right reason) after I accused him. I was hoping for Cid v Chaos so I could vig Cid after he won.

Day 5, the bauble appears and of all people, it goes to Rou. Right around then, we had discussed in scumchat that we might as well vig someone to reduce the number of people who are destined to get into a fight. So I opted for Cid since I figured he'd get one in Day 6. And pray Alex doesn't go Super Townie or Rou's power isn't that overpowering (but it was quite good).

My L-1 vote in Day 5 was an unintentional mistake and I sweated when I had realized after that Town Chaos had hammered himself. But in a sense, it became a blessing in disguise because it put me up as a possible duelist for Day 6. I was also worried Alex would assert himself and go Super Townie or at least suggest he kill someone today. But it didn't happen and he actually suggested UK versus me, to which I ask, why? It doesn't look like we're Scum v Scum, but one of us is likely Scum so why risk it?

Anyways, that match came about while I posted a whole mess of crap (including placing my buddies as #1 and #3 on the list) and Alice stepped up. One interesting thing I noticed about Alice's post: he's exasperated at me, but relatively civil while he goes absolutely nuts at UK. I wondered if people would catch on to the difference of tone as bias. Furthermore, the way those 2 tore into each other on a meta level, suggests they could not possibly be scumbuddies. It was pretty bad while I was doing my rereads.

So yeah, I felt we had very little control. We lucked out in Day 2 with the quickdraw and lucked out in Day 6 with me getting placed against someone who looked as bad as me. And I'm terrible as Scum endgame as I think it was demonstrated. I clear people too easily during the game which leaves me grasping for cases on people I want to get mislynched (resulting in the darn "accuse everyone" post).

Kudos to Alice for stepping up at the right time and pushing for my matchup although I got worried he was overemphasizing it and with me initiating, I thought it would put me at a disadvantage. K4U's early roleclaim was good in that at least it kept her from being a target. Although if Jam had the same ability, she should have brought it up and then we'd see a duel between them because almost no way would 2 Townies have that kind of an ability. UK also spotted me early and I could never get into a groove after that so yeah, although the tunneling on me might have backfired a bit.

Cid: How come you went public with your roleclaim? Like I mentioned midgame, you could have just hidden in the background, get the Day 3 kill on Ciato (which I missed, otherwise, I'd have had 2 nukes early), and then do a Cop check with no one aware at all.

Regarding Alex talk: At least me in game, I was always suggesting Alex take people out as a gamble. I was always worried he'd actually do it so it scared me. Playing with fire pretty much. After I sent the PM to kill Cid, Alice also suggested that maybe I should have vigged Alex instead; it was what I initially thought I'd do, but figured the Cop checking a lurker like K4U or Alice was more inherently dangerous. Chaos: that is my point of view on Alex from Scum side. I was surprised UK thought he'd gambit that hard in Day 2 and be considered Scum by her.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #788 on: February 26, 2010, 04:17:42 PM »
I was surprised UK thought he'd gambit that hard in Day 2 and be considered Scum by her.

That was the only way I could justify pushing him. It had to be a "masterful scum gambit" or else the entire case falls apart. I wish Alex had been more proactive scumhunting, but perhaps he was and I just missed it. I've been told that Alex tends to be more subtle with his reads. But, it did read as posturing for most of the game hence why I started to tunnel him.

Well, thank you for the D2 credit. I just wish I had conveyed my thoughts a lot more clearly. Alex is indeed right that communication is important and the onus is on ME to make myself heard clearly.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #789 on: February 26, 2010, 04:25:51 PM »
In reading over what's been said in postgame so far, I was about to post something I probably shouldn't have (especially after what went on in this game) but the library lost power (home's been out since last night whyyyyyyy) and I got to rethink my decision and decided against it.

I'm not going to make a full post from here, I'd rather make one from home, but I will say a couple of things.

- This game, and some of the postgame discussion, has highlighted an issue that needs to be fixed if MotK wants to progress further: there are a handful of people that put themselves ahead of their team and play accordingly. They don't care whether or not their team wins as long as they have something to brag about as an individual. I am not going to name names in this regard, even though I think at least one or two are incredibly obvious if you stop and think about it for a minute. Originally I was going to open up a public philosophy discussion but I decided against that as well over the course of the game, and will talk to certain individuals in private instead an an attempt to correct this error. However, if anyone amongst this handful of people asks me in public if they are such a person, I will tell them in public. If you think you're one such person and want to avoid the potential embarrassment, stay quiet.

- In light of this, Alex was the Town MVP because he did the best job playing for his team. He was thoughtful and level-headed all game, and the cases he made against townies were the fault of those townies playing badly. People that don't want to give him his due credit need to look past the fact that his attitude is a bit rough.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #790 on: February 26, 2010, 04:35:09 PM »
I disagree with Chaore regarding "Alex was irritatingly bad confirmed town". I've kept reading the game after my modkill and found Alex to be rather agreeable. Like I expressed, most of the game went to "how to have optimal play", a discussion that left me apathetic since game strategies aren't to be discussed in the game itself, as far as I'm concerned.

I owe the entiriety of town an apology for electing to suicide, but as Carthrat mentioned, well. I felt Serpentarius was town, indeed. But I also thought UK was town by then, because the aggressive, attention-garnering strategy seemed completely off for scum, especially because I assumed the easiest way to win was to have town kill town until scum outnumbered.

But I digress. At the time I honestly wanted to see UK die because she vexed me greatly, and then I chose the easy way out and pretend the game was irrelevant. For that, I owe my apologies, although I admit I would not have been able to predict any scum teams.

To Pesco: you asked me early in the thread to "admit" I was angry you had chosen to challenge me on my first gamepost. :) Let me clear up that that was not the case; I truly was more annoyed by people agreeing than I was annoyed with you doing it in the first place. When you declared it, I thought it was a jest. When UK threatened to challenge you if you didn't follow up on it, I threw my hands up yelling OH DESWHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN!

I still don't buy into warm fuzzy feelings. ;)

I'd just like to say that the game was unbalanced indeed. Scum being able to sit back and watch town kill itself and having a vig role to destroy the single useful power role town had was uhhhh what.

Sending messages is useless. I had wanted to argue, "Why would Carthrat give such a useless power to scum? It can only be malignantly used!" and it seems that I was right not to argue that. :p

(for those wondering, if the mod deposited the message as, "During the night, a notice was hammered to your door: "msg"." then it can be abused by pretending you're an event or NPC faction or whatever and clear/accuse people. I felt this power did not serve town, any thought pro-town enough to be said should be said in the open)

The lynch thing was a null read and I am a bit confused why whoever had the same role did not contest it, given that having the exact same role is suspicious.

Either way, the game was different from normal Mafia; regretably in more ways than one, but let it be known that I don't dislike anyone over this fiasco. I understand all too well the frustration of being so convinced I've caught scum slipping up and all the others going "derp wrong!".

This is fast becoming a wall of text, but succinct messages and I seem to have a long-standing rivalry where we tend to oppose one-another.

I've taken a liking to reading the adventure text threads here so I'll stick around, maybe join Mafia here again sometime; ;D

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #791 on: February 26, 2010, 04:49:25 PM »
Edible actually went to me really late in the game about why Jam didn't claim. I had been wondering it myself for a while, but then I decided to think about what I would do from her perspective, and I realized that I'd probably play the same way. From the perspective of a vanilla townie, the role is a pretty pro-town role, and there's nothing in the rules to suggest there's only one of it floating around. Who knows, the game has sufficiently abnormal mechanisms that there might be duplicates of such a role. Then there was Cid's death, and who knows how many more kills scum had, so why bother outing oneself and giving them more targets? K4U's claim floating around by itself might not be worth the attention, but putting a second claim on the table could make scum turn vig attention to those two players.

With all that considered, I probably also would have stayed mum, though I don't know for sure. Even if I wouldn't have, I don't really fault Jam for doing so.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Chaore

« Reply #792 on: February 26, 2010, 04:52:20 PM »
Kiro: I admit, the D2 makes it completely implausible. But only implausible.

Especially after Alex started posting -bad enough- that Scum!Alex would conceivably do something retarded like that, it became a very real possibility. He dropped from super townie to 'what the -fuck-' in the last few days, as far as I'm concerned. UK seems to have agreed with me there.

Frankly, myself, I left the game with that impression and downright cheered when UK pulled that out, right or not.

Kilga: I'm not saying he doesn't deserve the credit for the things he did do. I'm saying he doesn't deserve any for what he didn't, in regards to the D2 thing, and for the rest, that he didn't do as much as everyone says. I apologize if it seems argumentative and pointless, or as you may be subtly saying, all for the gold, but discussing things about the game is what postgame is for, and I wanted to discuss that a bit.

Bard: Agreeing on how terribly imbalanced things were. I mean -shit-. Scum wasn't even that much at a disadvantage.

Overall, also half-considering ditching mafia after how terribly this went. I'm not good at it, anyway.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #793 on: February 26, 2010, 04:54:16 PM »
I'm saying he doesn't deserve any for what he didn't, in regards to the D2 thing, and for the rest, that he didn't do as much as everyone says.

You're still hung up on the idea that a townie is only worthwhile if they catch scum. This is patently false - there are far too many outside factors to take into consideration, such as townies playing badly and thus being indistinguishable from scum. Given the conditions he was subject to, Alex did the best he could do, and he did it better than anyone else.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #794 on: February 26, 2010, 04:58:11 PM »
I do fundamentally disagree that Alex gave his best, Kilga. I don't completely agree Alex was completely terrible. I think Alex had to be there to prevent this game from being more of a clusterfuck than it already was. He called me back from the abyss of shitposting SEVERAL TIMES. And for that I thank him. But he did get rather lazy, and I think he didn't play to his full potential. So, I wouldn't award him MVP but for the fact that everyone else was pretty bad as well. No one really had a synergy. There was furious scumhunting without a care for how you looked on one side, and then there was calm emotions we're a team on the other with what appeared to be very little scumhunting. And the little that WAS given felt like "just enough to get by", the same reason I thought Kiro was scum.

Oh, and then we had lurkers. That sucked.

« Reply #795 on: February 26, 2010, 04:59:44 PM »
Good game everyone. :) Don't be bitter over things said in the game; it is an intense game but at the end of the day it is just that -- a game.
You are a sun goddess... you save me...~Hooray for you
And now the rain it comes the rain it blurs the grey line
The grey line
The Greyhound home

Chaore

« Reply #796 on: February 26, 2010, 05:07:36 PM »
I would say you do not understand I find he didn't for more reasons, but that would be wasted keystrokes. In the end, I still will not agree for more reasons that UK has touched on. Frankly, you seem to just want to be done with the discussion of who the MVP was anyway.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #797 on: February 26, 2010, 05:10:42 PM »
No need to play mafia after the game ^-^. MVP is just a silly thing anyway. It's probably best to lay it to rest :P.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #798 on: February 26, 2010, 05:14:30 PM »
I may or may not have more to say.  Most of what I wanted to has already been said.

Mafia's a fun game where tensions can run high, but there is a point where words and feelings go beyond the realm of expectations for the game.  It is that point where Mafia ceases to be fun for a lot of people.

Ultimately, the forum has expectations of decency to observe, and Mafia can no longer really be given a pass for overtly foul behavior, no matter what alignment you're playing or what you claim your motivations are.  I'm neither demanding nor expecting civility here, since this is Mafia, but we've gone much too far down the road of awful adhom outbursts at times.

UK, I'm not going to probate/ban/whatever you.  But I do think you should perhaps step away from the game for a while.  That's a choice I'd like you to make for yourself.  (Edit: Since you're running a game next, this actually comes at a good time).

Chaore, you're new at this so I'm giving you more of a pass, but Mafia is not a shouting match as it looks like you think it is.  You may want to observe some more games.

Everyone else, please just keep the adhoms and unnecessary condescension to a minimum.  Since this is generally considered an 18+ game, I expect everyone to have some measure of thick skin - but by the same token, I also expect everyone to have a civil tongue more often than they currently do.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #799 on: February 26, 2010, 05:16:20 PM »
Don't be holding back, Kilga. The obvious is obvious and I can admit I do it too. Isn't it pride that makes us do these things? Pride that we take confidence from.

Bard: The game is the game, s'all cool. Hope you have a good time with the other stuff that goes on around here.

The roles in this game, there was no reason to actually believe any of them. There was no clear-cut town role.

I'd say Alex still gets MVP because everyone else sucked too much for consideration.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #800 on: February 26, 2010, 05:16:40 PM »
UK, I'm not going to probate/ban/whatever you.  But I do think you should perhaps step away from the game for a while.  That's a choice I'd like you to make for yourself.

I'm not playing next game, I'm modding. I think that counts as stepping away as a player, right?

I love how...certain other players are glossed over. I guess it's pretty easy to miss when you have someone who acts loudest. But, whatever.

Edible

« Reply #801 on: February 26, 2010, 05:18:47 PM »
I love how...certain other players are glossed over. I guess it's pretty easy to miss when you have someone who acts loudest. But, whatever.

Certain players have been addressed already, either on here or in private.  Believe me, I know you're not the only person slinging too much mud.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #802 on: February 26, 2010, 05:19:52 PM »
Certain players have been addressed already, either on here or in private.  Believe me, I know you're not the only person slinging too much mud.

So once again I am made example of.

I love the staff here ^-^.

Either way. I'm modding next game. Does that count as stepping away, Edible?

Edible

« Reply #803 on: February 26, 2010, 05:21:43 PM »
Yeah, I edited that into my original statement.

I'm not pulling punches with you, UK - you are the loudest and the foulest-mouthed of our players.  You're being made an example of because you deserve it the most.  If you don't like that reputation, do something to change it.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #804 on: February 26, 2010, 05:23:14 PM »
Yeah, I edited that into my original statement.

I'm not pulling punches with you, UK - you are the loudest and the foulest-mouthed of our players.  You're being made an example of because you deserve it the most.  If you don't like that reputation, do something to change it.

Well, I plan to. I've only said as much.

But, whatever. Everyone knows the list of players you talked to, so it's a non issue.

Ranmilia

• Multiple Intelligencial Yggdrasil Unit
« Reply #805 on: February 26, 2010, 05:23:25 PM »
Well.

Good game.  Congrats to the scum, they did what they needed to do.

Setupwise, I think it was mostly balanced with the exception of the scumvig.  I was anticipating all game that scum probably had a oneshot vig - but only one shot.  Allowing it to recharge on kills is a little nutty though, seeing as how scum are already getting a big advantage when they claim a head. 

Chaore

« Reply #806 on: February 26, 2010, 05:25:24 PM »
Chaore, you're new at this so I'm giving you more of a pass, but Mafia is not a shouting match as it looks like you think it is.  You may want to observe some more games.

Frankly this game has mostly turned me off for the moment, anyway. Unsure if I'll want to return to the mafia scene in the first place. I'll keep this in mind, however. I'm a sucker for games like this.

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #807 on: February 26, 2010, 05:47:39 PM »
In the RPGDL, it's a tradition to yell, "That's the last game of Mafia I'll ever play, this game sucks!" and then promptly sign up for the next round. :V

Mafia's simply not a game where you gaily join hands and saunter off into a happy ending. It's a game based on paranoia, suspicion and deceit. The thrill of deceiving or the satisfaction of bringing deceit to light is what makes Mafia a fun game for most people, but it does tend to make people knock heads whenever they feel the other party is being, to put it nicely, "a little bit disagreeing".

But yeah, it'd probably be a good idea if the next game of Mafia'd be less uh, trainwreck'd than this game is. Like Ciato said, it's just a game, so antagonism should end when the game ends. :)

Jam-Kiske

• i am not witty
« Reply #808 on: February 26, 2010, 06:00:36 PM »
Dammit I should've said that I basically knew K4U was scum seeing as she had the same ability as me and... why would 2 town need that? I was waiting on that though cuz I didn't want to get blown up... >>

But yeah good job guys I suppose.
This was just a funky game. >>;

I need to play/observe more so I stop sucking absolutely horridly.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #809 on: February 26, 2010, 07:01:26 PM »
I don't understand why people are arguing over MVP. Remember, in the end Mafia is a team game - one good Townie does not a good Town make. Besides, the game's over, we're all meant to sit down and have tea together now.

Anonymous means nothing to the eyes of the blind.
You're missing the point. One of the things that has screwed this community over horribly in terms of improving as players is meta. Not only because it grants an unfair advantage, but because it rewards consistently bad play. If Alice lurks, no-one thinks anything of it because it's Alice. If an anonymous account lurks, people get suspicious, and rightfully so.