Author Topic: Popcorn Mafia (GAME OVER - TOWN WINS)  (Read 35709 times)

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
Re: Popcorn Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 01:45:16 AM »
@mod, please put the link to the previous iteration in the opening post of this thread.
I think it'll be useful to look at the game if you haven't already to see the strategies that worked/didn't work in that game.

Anyway, re: vigging. This setup looks like a pretty bad setup for policy vigs, given that if the target is town, it's the shooter that dies instead, and then the would-be-policy-vigged gets the gun. So looks like the best way to play it is to go straight and just shoot people you think are scum. :L Input of other people should be taken into account but ultimately the gunbearer should make the final decision.

In my opinion, you should shoot someone who you feel is both competent as town and dangerous as scum, and you have a scum read on them.
I started out with this opinion, but I'll expand on it. Remember that initially town only gets to misvig three times (however, they get an extra misvig for each successful scum hit). From looking at the previous game, they did a good job of not descending into paranoia and vigging Xyl/Yos for the hell of it, which led to an easier PoEing of the scum. All in all, I'd rather keep a competent player around so they can direct vigs and provide discussion, given said player is not a scumread.

That said, if you're choosing a deadline vig between a "competent" player and a "lurker," utility-wise it might be better to shoot the first just so you don't get a Bogre-like situation with a lawl no-vig, but given scum have an incentive to lurk if you follow that logic...just shoot who you think is scum. :V

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. ~James Howell

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 01:47:46 AM »
You are a Mafia Goon.
Your partners are Dr Rawr, Dr Rawr, and Dr Rawr. You may communicate at any time; I have created a quicktopic for you here.
You win when the number of living mafia members equal or exceed the number of living townies, minus the gunbearer.

Please immediately reply "confirm" or similar if you're ready, or PM me any questions you may have. The game thread is here.

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 01:50:47 AM »
This is War.  And I am the master of the art of War.   

The correct scum play is to hand the gun to a strong player, because eventually, they will misfire and die. 
THEREFORE, We should first think which of us as scum would hand Bard the gun.
would the pawns pick bard.  Conceivably, but the choice might have been more random.
Bard is strong.  More Likely, a more powerful piece was involved.  But who.  Affinity Omba LLD Conq.
Now who thinks you're the best? and who would give the gun to who?
LLD would not give it to Zero, that's for sure!  She might think I'd shoot her face.  But would she give it to Bard? Maybe.  She'd give it to Bard, Conq, Affinity most likely.
Omba ... Same thing, wouldn't give it to me.  Probably give it to LLD Conq Bard, not quite sure if Omba'd give it to affinity.
Affinity, Hmm, He'd give it too Bard or Conq, most likely.  He would fear them
Conq.  I think he'd give it to Me, LLD, Bard, or Affinity. He might fear Bard or Affinity, Less because he fears me or LLD, more because he'd think of us to shoot wrongly on the first Day.

So, who is the best shot.  one of Conq Affinity.  Frankly I think Conq would be the scariest opponent for scum if he isn't scum himself.  However, I would not shoot him first.  He's a valuable asset for town if he is town, and he can work better later after some people die first.  I honestly wonder about Affinity's effectiveness, so I'd shoot Affinity earlier than later.  otherwise we should go with one of the other group.  Not Serela, she'll make herself Obvious town/scum eventually.  Rawr might do in a pinch though.  IHNN is fairly easy to read so not him.

Conq's last post sounds ok, but I'd shoot the lurker.

The words of Zero!

Don't lynch me.

Conqueror

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 01:54:14 AM »
Also

A.I haven't done anything yet ;_;
B.Turboshooting probably isn't the best plan! How much info do you have d2 if d1 is instantly ended by a vig? (Granted, all our days are going to be ended by vigs, but still)
C.Do you really want to give me the gun if you end up dying when you try to shoot me

##Vote: Serela
Didn't put "because I'm town" as a reason obvscum wagon to lynch etc.

מנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסין
~Daniel 5:25

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 02:03:01 AM »
@mod, please put the link to the previous iteration in the opening post of this thread.

Done.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 02:08:02 AM »
IHNN is fairly easy to read so not him.
:S

MC Mafia was my first game, Shadoweh's game was first scum game (I mean, really, with that setup it was not ideal for noobscum) and last game hardly counts with its setup shenanigans.

At least this game is standard-ish enough to get some experience.
I'll be somewhat sporadically active-right now there's far from enough info to get any solid reads.

Omba

• ねえ...
  • 君の首...おいしそう
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 02:18:57 AM »
eventually
That's the part that makes it a good but not necessarily the best strategy.

As for your speculation on who might have given the gun to whom. Bad idea to base the shot on.

DrRawr, make another post.

Preferring to shoot stronger players because of the if-town-then-he-gets-the-gun-next thing has one major flaw: If most or all of the scum aren't in that category, we'd end up with most of the good players dead and a lot of scum left. So, just shoot who you think is scum.

Slight scum vibes from ActionDan and Serela; more from ActionDan hence
##Vote ActionDan

--cut
IHNN: Don't do the whole "yo dude reads are hard to get so I'm not givin' you any, yo" thing again. Given what you did last game as "scum" that'd make you a perfect policy shot and policy shots are shit in this setup, so... yeah.

------------
As a faint, slightly sweetish scent tickles my nose, I turn around and catch a fleeting glimpse of long white hair vanishing into a street corner.
After a moments hesitation I swiftly move to find the source of that deliciously inviting scent...

Lexicat

• Cat in a Rage
  • Who am I again?
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 02:26:27 AM »
Taokaka isn't feeling well ;_;

ActionDan

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2012, 02:32:05 AM »
:S

MC Mafia was my first game, Shadoweh's game was first scum game (I mean, really, with that setup it was not ideal for noobscum) and last game hardly counts with its setup shenanigans.

At least this game is standard-ish enough to get some experience.
I'll be somewhat sporadically active-right now there's far from enough info to get any solid reads.

You were still easy to read, in all of them. I mean I thought you were 100% scum from your first few posts in the last game, irregardless of the mechanics.

Omba -  "That's the part that makes it a good but not necessarily the best strategy.

As for your speculation on who might have given the gun to whom. Bad idea to base the shot on."

What is a "better" strategy for scum?  Why is it a bad idea to speculate on  who might have given the gun to whom?

##Vote IHNN

Subtle pull in the post for trying to keep alive.

Don't lynch me.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2012, 02:32:42 AM »
The game has begun. One of the wild players, whom we will call "Bard", has been given the gun, signalling the ritualistic beginning.
Paranoia appears to set in among the group quickly. They appear to be fighting over who "Bard" should shoot, whilst "Bard" asserts his dominance over the rest of the pack.

A player, who will be named "ActionDan", is the first to make a wholy disagreeable point. He believes that the "Bard" should only shoot strong players, whilst others have indicated he should just shoot whomever he thinks is scummy.
Researchers also cannot indicate whether the suggestions to shoot "policy lynches" are jokes or not, further drawing suspicion to those who suggested them.

Researchers, however, are still baffled whether the decision to to shoot who the rest of the players agree should be shot should take priority over who the gunbearer thinks is scum.

Will the pack descend into disorder so quickly? Observations continue.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

ActionDan

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2012, 02:45:11 AM »
A player, who will be named "ActionDan", is the first to make a wholy disagreeable point. He believes that the "Bard" should only shoot strong players, whilst others have indicated he should just shoot whomever he thinks is scummy.
Researchers also cannot indicate whether the suggestions to shoot "policy lynches" are jokes or not, further drawing suspicion to those who suggested them.

Only Zero is an absolute! He will be the people's hope eternally!  Why do you speak something so brazenly untruthful when your own stance seems to be founded only in a tautology, or is there more too it than that?

Don't lynch me.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2012, 02:50:57 AM »
Subtle pull in the post for trying to keep alive.
In this game staying alive helps your win condition regardless of alignment.  A townie being shot costs another townie, and a scum player being shot is a scum death.  Ergo this 'subtle pull' (I made one there? really?) would be null.  As it is I feel I get misunderstood a lot-I need to try to work on that both IRL and in games.

IHNN: Don't do the whole "yo dude reads are hard to get so I'm not givin' you any, yo" thing again.
Well, I don't dislike anyone who has actual content yet, does that count for reads  :V

Given what you did last game as "scum" that'd make you a perfect policy shot and policy shots are shit in this setup, so... yeah.
last game =/= this game.  You're right about policy shots-but I disagree about last game making me a good one since I was completely clueless the entire time.

Bard, asking about Serela is a fine starting point, but more questions means more answers meaning more discussion points/content.  As it is I don't have anything else to add right now, so be back tomorrow...hopefully.

ActionDan

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2012, 03:00:09 AM »
Without a counter-balance in trying to discuss how to shoot scum, trying to stay alive becomes scummy.  However, I like your response. suspicions retracted.

GEASS POWER: Rawr! Answer me now! Are you scum?

Don't lynch me.

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2012, 03:11:42 AM »
possibly

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2012, 03:28:27 AM »
I am a lamer.

But I'm not as lame as I have no name, who has failed to play the game, I guess.  He is lamer than I am.  By a bit.  Serela and rawr could be lumped with these emo kids too.

Everyone regardless of how lame they are is likely to hand the gun to a cool player, and Bard is probably the coolest cat around now.  Dan is lame for selectively speculating on people like that, but he gets enough points for being hipster.  I raised my eyebrow but that's it.

There are pros to shooting cool players and pros to shooting uncool players.  I'm for the earlier, at least for D1.

I'm for shooting Omba.  Don't remember Dan saying that we should be lynching cool players all the way, and using the slippery slope thing (that only bad players will be left at the end) only for Dan rather than LLD (who said the same thing) feels odd.

##Vote: Omba

Word.

« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2012, 03:33:46 AM »
I take back that back im not scum.

@nekonekorex
We dont need updates on what people are talking about i think most of us can read

@omba
Surprisingly i have been told this is a "team game", it would be more beneficial for town to decide on who to gundown altogether.

@actiondan
wouldnt be bothered by this if you didnt use meta

« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2012, 03:34:49 AM »
also are we keeping our own vote counts or ???

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2012, 03:38:36 AM »
I take that back again i am scum

but so is nekonekorex possibly.

##vote:neko

ActionDan

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2012, 03:59:46 AM »
Rawr is probably town.

Don't lynch me.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2012, 04:24:00 AM »
If I claim scum repeatedly can I be town too? :C

I'M TOTALLY SCUM GUISE. RAWR IS MY SCUMBUDDY. We're having pizza in our QT right now! It sure washes down that cheeta-BEDTIME.

It's really late and I'll make a more serious post tomorrow
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2012, 04:53:10 AM »
The player... we will call him "Omba"... has discovered the documentary campsite!

This observationalist would like to note that his opinions are not intended to sound like regurgitations of earlier posts, but merely do due to the third-person view of the posts.

Researchers, however, are still baffled whether the decision to to shoot who the rest of the players agree should be shot should take priority over who the gunbearer thinks is scum.
Also this is actually a question towards the wild players of "The Mafia Game"
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2012, 04:55:16 AM »
The player... we will call him "Dr Rawr"... has discovered the documentary campsite!
EBWOP

Also, what is the player "Taokaka"'s opinions towards the matter of whether or not we should go after policy lynches?

Conqueror

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2012, 10:18:18 AM »
Well, Neko, what do you think?

I'll just repeat what I said before: whereas in other games directing the vig might be a decent strategy (or not, depending on the situation), since the gunbearer is confirmed town in this game, their decision should take priority over the collective will, especially given the above average density of scum (3/10 players as specified in the OP). That said, it's probably beneficial for the gunbearer to listen to the general discussion or pick out some personal town reads and take their opinions into account or something; no one is going to have 100% correct scumreads unless they have the luck of the gods.

In this game staying alive helps your win condition regardless of alignment.  A townie being shot costs another townie, and a scum player being shot is a scum death.  Ergo this 'subtle pull' (I made one there? really?) would be null.  As it is I feel I get misunderstood a lot-I need to try to work on that both IRL and in games.
If you're town, just drop the general survivalist attitude. Good content will keep you alive better than pleading.

Well, I don't dislike anyone who has actual content yet, does that count for reads  :V
What/who are you referring to with this statement?

What is a "better" strategy for scum?  Why is it a bad idea to speculate on  who might have given the gun to whom?
Actually, I'm kind of interested in how you got from Bard is strong, so anyone would pick him, to LLD/Omba/Affinity/Conq and then from that to Affinity/Conq. Just want to hear your thought process here because it feels like you decided to come to that conclusion independently of the logic you showed in your post.

"Do you believe in miracles?" ~Al Michaels

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2012, 01:52:33 PM »
What/who are you referring to with this statement?
As of right now I'm leaning varying degrees of town on everyone except rawr and Affinity.
rawr because I honestly don't know what to think of that playstyle and Affinity because...something strikes me as off in that post of his.
I am a lamer.

But I'm not as lame as I have no name, who has failed to play the game, I guess.  He is lamer than I am.  By a bit.  Serela and rawr could be lumped with these emo kids too.
What is this I don't even.  (read: can I have a translation into normal english please?)

ActionDan and Conq feel the most town at the moment.

ActionDan

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2012, 03:08:11 PM »
Zero will speak now.

Conq, pretty much I reached Affinity/Conq independant of the speculation above that, even though there is a logical tie I didn't care to mention between the concluding paragraph and the speculation above it, namely, that your name and Affinity's appear more often then any others .  In the end I didn't conclude much and was thinking that you and affinity are the only two players who would be considered stronger than or at least equal to Bard and therefore had a better chance of being scum than the rest.   

As of now I wouldn't want to shoot either of you. 

Don't lynch me.

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »
Nameless finding me scum for calling him lame is lame.  That makes him like super lame or something.  Luckily I am a somewhat cool enough guy to tell the difference between lameness and scumminess, but boy do the distinctions blur at times.  Make no mistake, however, for I am still sadly a lamer at heart.

@Neko: Who is scum and why?  Why is X lamer than Y, whom other people have chosen?  Sacred questions from long times past which reveal much about the alignment. The voting mechanism was in vogue back in the 80s and has remained cool ever since, and I think a vig choice along these X and Ys can filter the cool from the pretenders. 

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2012, 03:26:07 PM »
Nameless finding me scum for calling him lame is lame.
My post suffered from bad formatting-what I found off is likely just the RP.

(read: can I have a translation into normal english please?)
still requesting this on what I quoted.

Omba

• ねえ...
  • 君の首...おいしそう
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »
Taokaka isn't feeling well ;_;
Try drinking some blood, it helps. :V

Well fuck. Initially I thought choosing an average player would be best because of the chance of a good player steamrolling the scum team, but mulling it over some more the best strategy really is choosing the best player and hoping he offs himself on the first shot.
It's a bad idea because a) That strategy is not actually so hard to think of that it would need a good mafia player. Just a little brain is sufficient for that. But b) Even assuming that only a good player can come up with that strategy, one of them on the scum team is enough. You named four players that you think might come up with the idea; if one of them is scum, that's a 1/4 chance of hitting the right one. We've got 3 scum in 10 players, so the chance of hitting the right one going by that alone would be lower in the case of only one of those players being scum. And lastly c) If none of the better players are scum, then it's quite possible the choice was made more or less randomly.
And even discarding all of the above, I don't think the way you concluded who of the 4 players would be most likely to have chosen Bard is sound.

Without a counter-balance in trying to discuss how to shoot scum, trying to stay alive becomes scummy.  However, I like your response. suspicions retracted.
What did you like about his response?

I'm for shooting Omba.  Don't remember Dan saying that we should be lynching cool players all the way, and using the slippery slope thing (that only bad players will be left at the end) only for Dan rather than LLD (who said the same thing) feels odd.
Considering I didn't give any reason for suspecting Serela, how did you come to the conclusion that what I wrote above in that post was my reason for suspecting ActionDan?

Surprisingly i have been told this is a "team game", it would be more beneficial for town to decide on who to gundown altogether.
Nope. Well, Conq already said what needs to be said about that.

As of now I wouldn't want to shoot either of you.
So essentially that post was fluff, then?

----------------
As I reach the place where the white hair vanished, I press myself against the wall and peek around the corner. Some distance away, I spot a tall figure clad in dark, wide clothing, the back mostly concealed by her long, beautiful hair. She appears to be talking on the phone. After a few moments, I catch a glimpse of her face as she turns her head slightly to the side. Ohh, she looks so elegant, so refined. My heart starts pounding as if to drive all thoughts out of my head, save for one. I want her...

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2012, 08:07:20 PM »
Considering I didn't give any reason for suspecting Serela, how did you come to the conclusion that what I wrote above in that post was my reason for suspecting ActionDan?

what is your reason for suspecting dan then?

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2012, 08:42:54 PM »
Still presiding over the discussion, dood. Can't I just chuck down some beer and shoot whoever? Sounds like it'd solve all our problems, dood.

Dr Rawr, why do you claim scum, dood? Affinity, if lamers are scum, why are you claiming scum as well, dood?