Author Topic: [Music] triangles has a toot - Newest Piece: The Gensokyo The Gods Loved  (Read 20978 times)

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
Hey you know what I said about the next thing I do better be a solo piece!  I actually listened to myself!

The Gensokyo The Gods Loved

Finally, a piece that already is basically  a solo and actually sounds like it was written for clarinet!  Still was harder than I thought to do, especially the bridge ohhh the bridge, I actually just rewrote a few measures from the MIDI I was using because I was just too angry at it.  And after the key change hahahaha, because somehow I have the complete inability to play a Db followed by an Eb in that register :derp:

Funny thing is I wasn't even meaning to do this piece, I was working on Candid Friend but got too angry at the final key change and then as I was picking alternatives I saw that this one would be alot easier than the other stuff on my wish list so I knocked it out in a few evenings, I think it was a good choice too!

Speaking of wish list, I actually decided to plan ahead and already picked out the next THREE THINGS I'm going to do.  A theme from IN, another piece from SA and a little something for the PC-98 fans~! Though in what order I'm not sure, since I have to actually transcribe them all from PDF sheet music no cheating with MIDIs on these songs...

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
-Tempo's a little funky, I play with the MIDI backing me since the metronome would be picked up by my mic... I suspect I was having some speedup/slowdown issues to had been consistently off at certain parts...

Maybe use headphones and a computer metronome?

What programs do you use to record/mix together your audio? Sorry if you answered this already previously  :ohdear:

I really enjoy hearing your clarinet playing.  :D Keep it up!
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

triangles

I use Audacity to mix and Wavepad to record since I like the latter's noise editing features more (Audacity always has me sounding like I was underwater) but Audacity's really easy to line up different track and tweek it and all.

I have the headphones playing the midi since I never did good with metronomes I am a bad musician  :(  Also I find it helpful when playing harmony parts to have the main melody playing so I don't get lazy with it (which was a problem I had with Youmu's theme initially)

The thing is my midi making program doesn't like to play nice when I'm recording so it does weirdo things sometimes and during Shanghai Teahouse I was getting lots of "hiccups" which mucked everything up.  I switched to exporting it and just playing the midi in WMP halfway through recording this last one instead of following along on screen with the notes now actually have to go and print the sheet music - you can actually hear the page turn at the end of the bridge  :V so it shouldn't be a problem from here on out.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Why do you have such awesome taste in themes to cover?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
Why do you have such awesome taste in themes to cover?
Quoted for emphasis.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

triangles

Well let's put it this way - what songs do you all NOT want to hear?

I just rewrote the piano part for the IN song I've had stuck in my head for a while... I don't think it's as popular as the other stuff I did but I get to play lots and lots of LOW NOTES for a change  :* :* :*

Tengukami

Well let's put it this way - what songs do you all NOT want to hear?

I just rewrote the piano part for the IN song I've had stuck in my head for a while... I don't think it's as popular as the other stuff I did but I get to play lots and lots of LOW NOTES for a change  :* :* :*

Wait what song. Imperishable Night is one of my favorite games, musically especially.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

triangles

Extend Ash ~ Hourai Victim
It actually winds up in a natural key on clarinet  :V

I might have to tweak some of the accompaniment stuff and see if it's sounds ok in practice tomorrow, but since it's all LOW NOTES (which I totally haven't gotten to play enough of IMO) I don't have to worry about that pesky register jump which is usually why I skip all the crazy piano bits.  Famous last words, but I got the bridge not to sound like a total trainwreck in Gensokyo so hey I'm up to the challenge! 
Spoiler:
also with the whole "no job until June 1st" I have plenty of time on my hands

I was thinking about Deaf to All But The Song previously, which I probably will go back and do at some point but I couldn't find any sheets that included the trumpet descant and I'm not really so good at transcribing by ear since I've never done any proper theory work, but eventually perhaps.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
Extend Ash ~ Hourai Victim
It actually winds up in a natural key on clarinet  :V

:o

I was thinking about doing this on the trumpet too.That's good to know, since Clarinet and Trumpet are transposing buddies :toot:
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

triangles

If you're looking for stuff that'd work well on trumpet might I suggest Captain Murasa?  It has a bunch of key changes but the worst for us is 3 sharps, big whoop. 
And last time I checked Wind God Girl wasn't a crazy key for us either... but talk about songs that REALLY shine on trumpet  :*

Tengukami

And last time I checked Wind God Girl wasn't a crazy key for us either... but talk about songs that REALLY shine on trumpet  :*

Holy crap yes. That's the song that made me appreciate ZUNtrumpets.