Author Topic: World Cup 2018 topic  (Read 71625 times)

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
World Cup 2018 topic
« on: June 09, 2018, 06:18:25 PM »
Futbol!

My local team (US), my backup team (Netherlands), and my backup backup team (Chile) are all out this year, so I have no idea who to root for.  But who cares, it's world cup time.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: World Cup 2018 topic
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 06:50:21 PM »
Is this the one with the hundreds of dead slaves, or is that the next one?

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 03:50:31 AM »
That's the next one, though it's entirely possible it's true of this one too and Russia is just better at hiding it than Qatar.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 10:28:50 AM »
My team struggled to a draw against Chile's reserve squad just a couple days ago. Poland will face Lithuania in another friendly before taking on Senegal, Colombia and Japan in the group. An extremely difficult task awaits. Our defence is lacking and lately we typically expend most of our stamina in the first half, then cling on for dear life in the second (only one 2nd half goal in the last five friendlies, against decent opponents; also losing plenty in the second half). Expect hilarity if Jędrzejczyk is ever fielded as wing back. Pazdan also has a tendency to make stupid mistakes in some games, and Bednarek (the expected substitute for Glik should injury prevent the latter from playing) is very inexperienced. Expect us to try and use our formidable offensive quality (Zieliński, Grosicki, Błaszczykowski, Lewandowski, Milik; although the last one is likely to be a substitute after the formation change earlier this year) to force our way to victory early, hopefully scoring a couple goals in the first half and avoiding defensive blunders to retain the lead.

I'm not actually expecting Poland to go through, so once we're eliminated I will mostly be rooting for Germany (since they're damn good and fun to watch) and Iceland (everyone loves them; sadly their group is extremely difficult this time around). Also can't wait for England getting knocked out in round of 16.
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 10:58:58 AM »
Maan, I remember the last thread. Good times.

I'll be rooting for Egypt, lesse how far they get.

Edible

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 02:18:35 PM »
Maan, I remember the last thread. Good times.

I'll be rooting for Egypt, lesse how far they get.

:bzzz:

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 03:01:17 PM »
My home team Peru is finally in this world cup after failing to qualify for 36 years! I'm really happy for them and I'll be cheering them on the entire way.

I'll also be cheering for my other latin brethren if they go far as well, especially Argentina as I'd like to my favourite, Messi, take one home hopefully.

:bzzz:

Hieda no Mukyu

• Eastern philology in limbo
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 05:28:03 PM »
Let me declare that I am not doing this without reading what you guys have written so far... I just cannot resist.

Let?s Get This Over and Done With!

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 10:07:37 PM »

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 12:00:52 AM »
I'll probably be pulling for Iceland or Japan, but without the US in it, I don't know if I'll even watch any.
Normal 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK
Hard 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
Lunatic 1CC's - PCB, IN, PoFV
Extra Clears - EoSD (+Ultra), PCB (+Phantasm), IN (+Ultra), PoFV, MoF, DDC
Youtube

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 02:38:10 AM »
Are we boycotting the world cup now? Or did we just suck too bad to qualify?

Edible

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 04:34:01 AM »
The latter.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 08:15:54 AM »
I need to consider who to support this year. lolNetherlands failed to quality. lolTurkey as well.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 01:30:02 PM »
This year will be interesting considering what countries has missed out on the World Cup this year. Italy, Netherlands, US, Chile, etc.

Actually, Chile's case is probably one of the more unfortunate ones (which was also really fortunate for us Peruvians) because in the end Chile were the ones that shot themselves in the foot without knowing until the end. If you want to know more about it, this article is a good tl;dr of what happened. A mix of both Chile's snitching and Peru's comeback motivation from the result of Chile's appeal is what costed Chile from getting the 5th spot instead.

Edible

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 02:01:04 PM »
Yeah, it's a really unfortunate situation.  Can't blame Peru for it, of course.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 03:05:42 PM »
For anyone looking for sympathetic teams to support: eyes on Panama. This World Cup is their first ever. They ousted United States and Honduras to claim their place. They will be hard pressed to earn many points against England, Belgium and Tunisia, but I wouldn't mind Panama going through.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 09:07:52 PM »
For anyone looking for sympathetic teams to support: eyes on Panama. This World Cup is their first ever. They ousted United States and Honduras to claim their place. They will be hard pressed to earn many points against England, Belgium and Tunisia, but I wouldn't mind Panama going through.

England managed to lose to Iceland in the Euros. Don't write England losing to Panama out.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 10:33:18 AM »
England managed to lose to Iceland in the Euros. Don't write England losing to Panama out.
Don't worry, I'm fully aware of England's true power level.

In other relevant news, Spain just fired their manager. What the hell. I did not think they would actually make such a risky move because Lopetegui negotiating with Real hurt their feelings.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 06:43:18 PM »
I find this article mildly amusing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44431262

Using Historical patterns; the BBC is predicting Belgium to win the whole thing.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 02:31:59 PM »
>2018
>Not putting your entire life savings on Iceland going all the way

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 02:55:56 PM »
John Rogers back at on the Twitter machine, I see.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 03:05:18 PM »
And so the adventure begins!

I liked Russia all the way back in Euro 2008 and their current manager (Cherchesov) was at Legia Warszawa for a while. The Russian squad consists of mostly domestic players , or so I heard. Should be interesting to see if they can deliver the goods.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Tengukami

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 03:17:05 PM »
John Rogers back at on the Twitter machine, I see.

He is indeed. He's in fact putting in the final proofreading touches to the World Cup feature that comes out tomorrow.

Your trusty tengu reporter caught this candid pic:

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 03:47:40 PM »
Easy going for Russia so far. More skill, better chances, excellent goal by Cheryshev. The Saudis are completely helpless despite their possession advantage and their silly mistakes may well cost them even more goals in the end.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Tengukami

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 03:56:52 PM »
Yeah Russia is going to destroy Saudi Arabia it seems. My Russian friends are decidedly underwhelmed, though; they don't consider this a challenge or a very exciting match.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2018, 04:01:56 PM »
Yeah Russia is going to destroy Saudi Arabia it seems. My Russian friends are decidedly underwhelmed, though; they don't consider this a challenge or a very exciting match.
Ha, don't they worry. Uruguay and probably Spain/Portugal are coming up soon.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2018, 04:27:55 PM »
In other relevant news, Spain just fired their manager. What the hell. I did not think they would actually make such a risky move because Lopetegui negotiating with Real hurt their feelings.
Yeah I read up on this actually and thought it was dumb at first, but then I found out it was because the Spain manager already signed a contract agreeing that he cannot be a manager for another team for the duration of the World Cup, but then he signed a contract to msnage for Real Madrid. This forced them to fire him for breaching the original World Cup contract.

So it was more Lopetegui being an idiot or unaware of this.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:30:04 PM by Gpop »

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2018, 05:32:25 PM »
So, good to see a fun opener game once in a while. The two final goals were a pure pleasure to watch. Russia completely defied expectations and might ride their new confidence boost all the way to the playoff phase. A weaker team like Saudi Arabia really should be relying on counter attacks and free kicks, but Russia simply wouldn't let them. Being forced into positional play unveiled all their weak spots: poor passing and positioning, easily losing the ball under pressure.

So it was more Lopetegui being an idiot or unaware of this.
That would actually make the decision understandable. Could you link an article about it?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 03:33:27 PM »
Day 2!

I've had a terrible day and missed Egypt - Uruguay due to random events, but the final scoreline suggests I didn't miss much. Watching Morocco - Iran now. Both team are rather awkward in offense, but they're also quite ambitious and that alone makes for a good show. Decent game thus far.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2018, 04:55:40 PM »
I see that late-game goals are a thing again, at least now  :derp:
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK Legacy, HSiFS, WBaWC
Hard 1cc: IN, DDC, HSiFS
Extra clears: MoF, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC

Goals: Going Extra Hard!