Author Topic: there are too many fangame threads in hme  (Read 5698 times)

Zil

there are too many fangame threads in hme
« on: November 15, 2015, 09:41:33 PM »
You see, my only joy in this world is complaining.

Ignoring stickied/locked, I count 10 fangame threads and 11 touhou threads. Of those 11, 3 or 4 are what I'd call tech support. They clog the board and push on-topic threads into oblivion. I can maybe understand inclusion of things that are themselves shooting games, but crap like touhoumon has no place there.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
Re: there are too many fangame threads in hme
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 09:40:07 AM »
>Official and doujin game discussion goes here! Need help capturing spell cards? Can't graze? Get advice here to improve your skills!
>doujin
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Zil

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 10:11:23 AM »
Naturally my point is that that should be changed.

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 07:12:34 PM »
The obvious question this raises is where would they go? Split the forum into one for official games and one for fan games?

The argument's been raised before because of how quickly many fan game threads (aside from a few RPGs) tend to be displaced by newer threads. Maybe a fan game subforum would make it easier to find the threads so they don't die out so quickly. Though I don't recall the idea getting much support.

Quote from: ZillionBrain
there are too many fangame threads in hme
crap like touhoumon has no place there.
I don't get the feeling this is a serious thread, though-- seems like hating on the fan games overall, from this attitude.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 07:18:39 PM »
To be honest this post seems kinda sneery to me, like your sole complaint is that you don't like seeing certain kinds of fangames such as "crap like Touhoumon". I don't see the harm in these threads, nor what balkanizing the boards would accomplish besides making the site unnecessarily complicated.

Have you tried not reading these threads? Maybe that will help.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Zil

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 09:15:29 PM »
I meant crap as in "stuff." Probably a poor choice (though tbh I think touhoumon is pretty crappy).

I'll post a conversation I had with Shimatora from earlier. I assume she doesn't mind me sharing it - http://pastebin.com/cFJqV3iD
I'm a luddite so the spacing is mangled but whatever. Should explain my rationale more or less.

Personally I've always felt that it didn't make much sense to have fangames in there, but I never really felt it was a problem either. Now that board is a lot less active, and it being literally half fangames is unprecedented as far as I know. Maybe you say to just ignore them, but I think having to do that is itself a kind of problem. I recall when birthday threads used to be put in the cafe, but were moved out to that other board. I'd ask what the motive for that was, and if the situation was not so different from this.

Naturally I don't claim to be all-knowing. I'm just saying what I think.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 09:51:49 PM »
OK, thanks for the clarification of your word choice. No harm, no foul.

Bday threads going to LJ, I think, was done because it just made sense to put All About Me threads on the All About Me board. HME already has two child boards. I don't think a 50/50 split is that bad. In fact, considering official games come out like once, maybe twice a year, half the threads being fan games seems downright conservative to me.

However, I'm not a regular HME poster so it might be easier for me to say. Maybe one of the board's mods could start a poll on HME for the community to express their wishes one way or the other. I think a strong mandate for the kind of change you propose, from the people who actually have a stake in the discussion, would go a long way.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Drake

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 10:14:18 PM »
I think that rather than the apparent issue being lots of fangame threads, that this is largely a symptom of the official game discussion slowly conglomerating into megathreads once again. It's a cycle where people slowly start being put off creating new threads since it seems out of place when their content already can fit into one or several of the various positive-negative-fickraken threads that exist.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -