Author Topic: Ask a Staffer Ep.18 - Naut  (Read 48692 times)

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
Re: Ask a Staffer Ep.18 - Naut
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 10:10:56 PM »
What would you do with a billion dollars (USD)?

What's your favorite country, and why?

If Yukari offered to gap you to anywhere in Gensokyo, where would you choose and why?

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2011, 12:31:08 AM »
cyberpunk or steampunk

Cybersteam.

Any long term shmup goals? Really ideal stuff you'd love to achieve (within the realms of possibility).

90fps clear UFO lunatic. Nothing else really, I'm more spontaneous with what I do in regards to shmups. I'll randomly decide what I'm going to do and then just do it (though more than likely I'll fail it). All about the improv.

Favorite food? Beverage?

Steak. Steak.

What is your favorite Danmakufu script?

Ijiyatsu.

Did you already beat the Afro dude in Uwabami Breakers?

I have beaten him, just not along with the other bosses in the game in one credit.

You have to take 3 of us forumites to Vegas with you.

Baity, Nobu, Drake.

One of them must be theshim. Which others do you choose and why?

Fuck. Who does theshim hate again? Them. We'll have a grand time.  :toot: :smug: :toot:

What would you do with a billion dollars (USD)?

Pay off everything everybody I know owns, like their house, car, etc.

What's your favorite country, and why?

Canada.

If Yukari offered to gap you to anywhere in Gensokyo, where would you choose and why?

Probably the human village so I wouldn't die to all the youkai. Though I guess getting eaten by a youkai wouldn't be that bad.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 12:34:55 AM by Naut »

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2011, 12:36:51 AM »
Expectations for STGT?
Bro quotient with bananamatic and treasurance?
Why are you such a sucker for shmups farm drama?

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2011, 12:39:43 AM »
Fuck. Who does theshim hate again? Them. We'll have a grand time.  :toot: :smug: :toot:
dohohoho

What is your dream sandwich? In other words, describe in as much or as little detail as desired, the best sandwich ever.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2011, 02:08:48 AM »

well played sir

What does your miserable pile of secrets life consist of beyond shmups and MotK?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2011, 10:15:22 AM »
If you could be anyone in the world for a day, who and why?

If you could be any of the ladies of Gensokyo for a day, who and why?

Do you have a tendency to "borrow" things?

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2011, 02:47:23 PM »
Cybersteam.
what do you got against punks
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2011, 03:02:15 PM »
punk is nothing but death and crime and the rage of a beast
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2011, 08:35:06 PM »
Punk is awfu-
* It's Purvis! is hit with a shovel by Ammy

Alrighty Naut, I dun know you as well as many, so let's see what's up.

-Why am I more dear to you than the rest of these mooks?
-Can you tell us a bit about your faith, given the myriad interpretations of Christianity?
-What is the biggest problem this forum has faced?
-If you could change one rule here, what would it be?
-How do you deal with the crippling sadness that comes with the insufficient Purvis in your life.
-Do you consider yourself exceptionally talented at SHMUPs, or do you consider yourself fairly average?
-What's your favorite part of working with Danmakufu?
-What kind of  Bulletmaku Hell patterns do you tend to enjoy, what kind do you hate?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 02:26:22 PM by It's Purvis! »

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2011, 11:54:17 AM »
Do you have any interest in Nico Nico Douga culture?
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2011, 05:23:31 AM »
Expectations for STGT?

Shitty games that nobody wants to play, sikraiken wins everything. One probably leads to the other, but which leads to which?

Bro quotient with bananamatic and treasurance?

Very little nowadays, we don't talk much.

Why are you such a sucker for shmups farm drama?

Only when it comes from certain people. There are some guys that keep shoving their opinions on everybody thinking that they're completely right and everybody who thinks otherwise is wrong, yet they're just as biased as who they're flaming. So I give 'em a little shit in return. Plus I know some stuff about shmups so it's not like I'm talking out of my ass.
Spoiler:
Most of the time.

What is your dream sandwich? In other words, describe in as much or as little detail as desired, the best sandwich ever.

The Ham & Swiss from Quiznos subs I get like almost every day for lunch, so I guess that would be the best sandwich ever to me. It's fucking delicious. I could go on about how much bacon, steak, and six other types of animals I'd want to shove on my dream sandwich and whatnot, but they don't work very well together in sandwich form, unfortunately. I would know.

What does your miserable pile of secrets life consist of beyond shmups and MotK?

For the summer, I work at a hardware store for five days a week. When school season starts up, I'll be in Uni for computer science. Otherwise it's the standard crap, hang out with friends, etc. I don't socially drink much (not that I'm against it, but I don't really do parties or drinking for the sake of drinking) so the stuff I do with my buddies is play/discuss videogames, watch anime, and ping pong, mostly. I also script in Danmakufu during my other spare time, where I'm currently working on a shmup called Ijiyatsu based on some weird MotK fad over a year ago.

If you could be anyone in the world for a day, who and why?

Nobody other than myself. Sorry for such a boring answer :(

If you could be any of the ladies of Gensokyo for a day, who and why?

Yukari. Playing with gaps and seeing how far that goes would probably be the coolest thing ever.

Do you have a tendency to "borrow" things?

Not at all :V

What do you have against Cybersteam, punkpunk?

Alrighty Naut, I dun know you as well as many, so let's see what's up.

-Why am I more dear to you than the rest of these mooks?

I wouldn't say top of the list, but I must say I have great respect for you and what you do for MotK, and that extends beyond stuff like your Z machine adventures and whatnot. You're a cool guy.

-Can you tell us a bit about your faith, given the myriad interpretations of Christianity?

I would be of the Pentecostal variety. The main difference between it and many other interpretations of Christianity I guess would be that it encourages a deeper, more personal relationship with God, as opposed to the typical catholic "everything is led by the priest/pastor/higher level of human" kinda stuff.

-What is the biggest problem this forum has faced?

I don't get around much outside the gaming subforums (HME, AA) and the script/coding section (RaNGE) so I wouldn't really know what to say. I may have been around during problematic times, like the April Fools incident and whatnot, but I wasn't really involved so I don't know how bad things got. I guess I'll just go ahead and say that it was the April Fools incident, since it was the only really big problem that I can think of right now.

-If you could change one rule here, what would it be?

Toughy. I rather like the set of rules MotK has, and wouldn't downright change any one of them. Maybe a slight adjustment here or there, but nothing big enough to kick up a stink about... Or even mention, really. I wouldn't be a Janitor if I didn't agree with the rules.

-How do you deal with the crippling sadness that comes with the insufficient Purvis in your life.

Read more Z machine adventures. I regret not following them actively.

-Do you consider yourself exceptionally talented at SHMUPs, or do you consider yourself fairly average?

I wouldn't say exceptionally talented, it took me a long time to get to where I am now. I started off pretty average, struggling with normal mode clears and sinking many hours in to stuff I thought was hopeless, but I enjoyed playing the games and kept at it, and eventually got to be one of the lunatics.

-What's your favorite part of working with Danmakufu?

Being able to make stuff I want to dodge. I enjoy many different kinds of shmups, but there is no shmup that I enjoy absolutely everything about, and there is some stuff that I would think "if it were more like this..." Danmakufu gives me the chance to try these things out and create my own stuff. I like making stuff other people can enjoy as well, which is to say that I'm not just going to make brutally impossible patterns that I like to pretend to be able to dodge, I also like designing simple and beautiful danmaku that people of all skill levels can enjoy. Hopefully I'm somewhat good at it so Ijiyatsu doesn't turn out to be horrible (at the very least I'd like to put it in a state that Drake can fix up proper) :V

-What kind of  Bulletmaku Hell patterns do you tend to enjoy, what kind do you hate?

I enjoy patterned danmaku with random elements. I guess the best example of this would be Mountain of Faith's titular spell card, or Virtue of Wind God as it's called on higher difficulties. It's a beautiful pattern with lots of fast but reasonable bullets coming at you at random but dodgable angles. There are no gimmicks or anything, it's just you and your raw dodging ability put to the test. I strongly dislike danmaku that would force me to memorize something (like a weird gimmick), or stuff that is practically impossible to beat on your first try, like anything that has huge, fast, instant-death lasers or stuff to that effect. Don't get me wrong -- patterns that are genuinely difficult dodging that I just happened to have died on the first few times I got to it I have no problems with, I just need to get better and then I'll be able to dodge it. If I was good enough, I could've dodged it on the first try since there was no hidden/secret trick. When I talk about the stuff that I hate, "memo-garbage" stuff, it's just crap that wastes your time rather than tests your skill. I mentioned instant-death lasers -- that shit is horrible design. It's only purpose is to instantly and unavoidably take away one of your lives. It's stupid design that forces you to play it again and again to get better results, no matter how skilled you already are. This extends to my pickiness in scoring systems. In general, I don't like enemy chaining systems since it takes forever for it to start testing your skill. For the longest time, you're wasting your time trying to memorize the positions of every freaking enemy the game throws at you so you can chain them properly... Eventually. It doesn't matter how skilled you are, you are completely forced to sink countless hours in to the game to get a better score, and there is nothing you can do to avoid it. It is only after you have memorized all this crap that the game finally starts testing how skilled you are, but subjecting myself to such a horrible timesink before getting to the good stuff is painful to even think about. Bleh.
Spoiler:
woop tangent

Do you have any interest in Nico Nico Douga culture?

Not in the least.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 05:36:03 AM by Naut »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2011, 07:37:14 AM »
Any chance of Ijiyatsu materialising in some form before I release my Diablo2 forum jokemod (Lord of Forums)? (I intend to only really work on it after my main project, but it'll likely be developed alongside)

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2011, 02:49:20 PM »
I enjoy patterned danmaku with random elements. I guess the best example of this would be Mountain of Faith's titular spell card, or Virtue of Wind God as it's called on higher difficulties. It's a beautiful pattern with lots of fast but reasonable bullets coming at you at random but dodgable angles. There are no gimmicks or anything, it's just you and your raw dodging ability put to the test. I strongly dislike danmaku that would force me to memorize something (like a weird gimmick), or stuff that is practically impossible to beat on your first try, like anything that has huge, fast, instant-death lasers or stuff to that effect. Don't get me wrong -- patterns that are genuinely difficult dodging that I just happened to have died on the first few times I got to it I have no problems with, I just need to get better and then I'll be able to dodge it. If I was good enough, I could've dodged it on the first try since there was no hidden/secret trick. When I talk about the stuff that I hate, "memo-garbage" stuff, it's just crap that wastes your time rather than tests your skill. I mentioned instant-death lasers -- that shit is horrible design. It's only purpose is to instantly and unavoidably take away one of your lives. It's stupid design that forces you to play it again and again to get better results, no matter how skilled you already are. This extends to my pickiness in scoring systems. In general, I don't like enemy chaining systems since it takes forever for it to start testing your skill. For the longest time, you're wasting your time trying to memorize the positions of every freaking enemy the game throws at you so you can chain them properly... Eventually. It doesn't matter how skilled you are, you are completely forced to sink countless hours in to the game to get a better score, and there is nothing you can do to avoid it. It is only after you have memorized all this crap that the game finally starts testing how skilled you are, but subjecting myself to such a horrible timesink before getting to the good stuff is painful to even think about. Bleh.
Spoiler:
woop tangent
DNM!

Tastes in music?
Let's fight.

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2011, 04:44:39 PM »
I strongly dislike ... or stuff that is practically impossible to beat on your first try, like anything that has huge, fast, instant-death lasers or stuff to that effect.

So when choosing your difficulty, do you pick "Monkey" or "Baby"?

:V
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2011, 05:04:42 PM »

:V

On that note, do you like Gunbird 2?

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2011, 05:53:47 PM »
Any chance of Ijiyatsu materialising in some form before I release my Diablo2 forum jokemod (Lord of Forums)? (I intend to only really work on it after my main project, but it'll likely be developed alongside)

Depends on how far along you are with your mod, I guess. When do you expect it to be out?

DNM!

m i kawaii

Tastes in music?

I'll enjoy pretty much anything that isn't rap or country. I can't stand either. But anything else I can get down with. I enjoy trance, particularly the uplifting kind, like Tiesto's vocal mix of Edward Carnby's Alone in the Dark, Mystery's Fever, or Super8 and DJ Tab's Helsinki Scorchin (which is one of my all time favourite songs, fast forward to 3:30 if you're not interested in the usual long trance build up). I also dip in to other electronic genres like hardcore. Stuff like Negative A & Counterfeit's Ritual Killing. I even go as far as speedcore, like m1dy's Cold Pizza or getting even faster (and shittier) like Round Wave Crusher's Born in 1600 (bpm).

I listen to a lot of videogame sound tracks too. ZUN's stuff falls in there, as well as other shmup music like Manabu Namiki (Vertigo, The Battle Was Just "To Continue that Future", Different Blood ~ Wearing Blood), Ryu Umemoto (Akai Katana Shin's Boss musicand Stage Four music). Virt's remix of No Remose for Ketsuipachi is fuckawesome too. I wouldn't be able to list every videogame sound track I like, but I'll also want to mention Civ4's version of Epitaph of Seikilos by Geoff Knorr and Michael Curran since I always listen to it when I want to listen to something relaxing.

I used to enjoy metal a lot too, Stuff like Lamb of God or Dream Theater, and I still like them but I don't actively listen to them anymore. But anytime I happen to stumble upon some metal songs I used to listen to, I'll enjoy it :V

Yes, as well as changing the settings of the game to give me unlimited continues so I have unlimited room for failure.

On that note, do you like Gunbird 2?

Never played it. Looks pretty cool though.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2011, 06:07:14 PM »
I do naut have any further questions.

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2011, 06:20:39 PM »
hi nuat

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2011, 07:14:46 PM »
20% done with the main mod, so far only 4 confirmed player classes for the jokemod. If I do mechanics too, 3-6 months would be my rough guess. People aren't gonna be buying into you guys working on Ijiyatsu unless they see updates.

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2011, 09:15:16 PM »
20% done with the main mod, so far only 4 confirmed player classes for the jokemod. If I do mechanics too, 3-6 months would be my rough guess. People aren't gonna be buying into you guys working on Ijiyatsu unless they see updates.

Might release some sort of beta soon
Spoiler:
provided some people continue working on it
so I guess that'll show some stuff. I doubt we'll finish the whole game before you finish your mod, but I'd like to have a good size demo out before it for sure.

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2011, 04:43:50 AM »
Why is this "Ask a Staffer" if SJ are not staff? :V

Do you like any video games outside of shmups? If so what's your (other) favorite genre?

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2011, 04:52:42 AM »
If I asked if you were a mage, Would you give me an adorable bunny?
Wait where the fuck is naut who is nuat what have you doooooneeee
Favorite quote from a vidya game? What about from a game thats not touhou?

And finally, Are you a boy or a girl? ...   A giiirl?

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2011, 05:06:24 AM »
If you had a choice between playing RSG or Ikaruga for the rest of your life, which one would you choose?  (Suicide is a viable option too.)

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2011, 07:42:51 AM »
Wow you guys are still doing  Ijiyatsu stuff.  I must applaud the sustained effort.  Who still works with it, and what have you guys accomplished so far?

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2011, 10:18:31 AM »
If you could wish for any girl in the Touhou universe to be your companion/lover/always there person, who would it be and why?

If a giant hole opened up in the floor below you this second, how would you react?

What would you do with command of the Nautilus?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2011, 11:31:36 AM »
Chicken or Sea Bass?
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2011, 05:29:16 PM »
Chicken or Sea Boss?
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2011, 06:49:49 PM »
If you could go back in time and change any one historical event to have the outcome of your choice, what would it be and why?

Favourite book, if any?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2011, 02:01:53 AM »
If you could strand Ruro in any historical period, where and when would it be, and why?

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2011, 02:09:17 AM »
If you could strand Ruro in any historical period, where and when would it be, and why?
This is a good question.  We should all ask questions like this.

Some people feel Ijiyatsu is polarizing, a "cool kids club", if you will.  Thoughts?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson