Author Topic: Let's Play The Genius of Sappheiros [HIATUS]  (Read 100371 times)

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
Turning the Land to extreme light is very easy, my biggest problem is damaging her fast enough as to not cause her bitch-fit. Reimu and Marisa couldn't possibly takes out 120000 HP by herself.

Stage 25 - Muenzuka 2

Shame that she is not the culprit of the incident. I actually likes her scene as a villain. But this part is called VS Generic Villain of Doom, not VS Vengeful God.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
She might resist attack down, but all the other debuffs work fine, so Reisen can do silly damage as usual and then Reimu blows her up. Alice takes all of Hina's bite away anyway.

Spoiler:
The next stage uses mind flayers as enemy markers, but it doesn't actually HAVE any mind flayers... I guess they just wanted to embody the player's own hatred.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Your Everyday NEET

Tried Devil of Decline for 1 hour. Ended up not liking it.

Stage 26 - Dark Space

Offensively meh (except for bullshit), defensively insane, that's still the theme for all late bosses of Genius of Sappheiros.

Forgive my horrendously slow update recently. My college work piled up.

EDIT: Something I noticed as well: I'm playing lesser version (and translation) of this game. Something I learned the hard way when playing DoD.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:12:04 PM by Your Everyday NEET »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
About the version, it's fine. Literally the only difference that I know of (including translation wise) is the newer version fixes an exploitable bug with the hexagram miniboss fairies in subquests and such.

This stage is a bit of a doozy to explore without a minimap, but fairly trivial with one...

Reisen and Mokou also work well on the boss. But Reisen works well on literally every boss in the game, so. Dying to it's nuke is annoying... Alice, what would we do without you?

Coming up next, a really long stage, surprising no one. Don't forget to check Akyuu now for your new recipes, and again after facing the super final boss once iirc! The super final boss is a good bit less forgiving in party formation and strategy, though. Well, unless you get super overpowered of course, or learn Punish the Judgment for Satori. What a silly skill. The Seraphim can be taken on without issue to learn it if you use Nitori's Chameleon Camoflague, I... think? It's useful for killing the subquest boss for devils hearts in any case, but those aren't super important anyway. You don't really use Satori though, so this is more a comment for others :V
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Your Everyday NEET

If I make Let's Play of DoD and NoR (which is very unlikely), I would name it.
DoD: The Power of Cuteness Will Save The World (Guess why)
NoR: When Yukari's Hatedom Unite (Enemies in NoR loves to target Yukari for unknown reason)

Stage 27 - Depths of Resentment

First Half of Stage 27 Stream

Geez, that stage annoys the hell out of me and even causes me to rage for a while.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Looong stage. Also, Cirno's ult.weapon is actually pretty good in the final boss, but it doesn't really matter if you just use her magic instead (your damage will be lower... but you'll still be perfectly fine) so whatever. Remilia is pretty solid for randoms but has almost no real use in any bosses (She can blink tank in the final boss! Buuuut you have to use everyone anyway.) so it's not surprising you don't really use her, either.

The expansion characters are really... weird... they have super limited scopes of usefulness. Lithos is -almost- flexible but has such a stiff moveset, albiet a quite useful one, Cirno+Remi are almost exclusively for random enemies, Yuugi is so one-trick pony it's silly, and Reisen... well, apart from her tiny moveset Reisen is actually fairly good in randoms -and- annihilates every boss. Jeez Reisen.

Your Everyday NEET

It's a shame though, I used Remilia often in my first playthrough. I guess she's been overshadowed by Reisen.

Finally, after 2+ weeks of me burning through Nor and beating the Final Boss, mental anguish due to stress, and vacations with my girlfriend, I'm back to this LP. My last 2 reasons doesn't belong in the same sentence doesn't it?

Sidequest Superboss Part 2

Looks like I have to do more grinding and get everyone to level 85-90 and their ultimate weapons and armor before I could face the final boss.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Yeahh, mixing the max hp buff and the buff-buff causes a basically gamebreaking level of silly to occur. And if you actually build Alice offensively (to some degree) then she can actually really deal some pain, because increasing max hp actually directly increases the power of Straw Doll Kamikaze- unlike all other attacks in the series based on hp!

I wouldn't worry about most of the armors. Half of the character armors are really just not notable other than giving bombs, and most of the other half isn't a notable upgrade either. They also require more of the character material than the weapon for some reason. (At least it's not THREE anymore, what the hell?)

Remi's sidequest isn't bad if you use her high-accuracy skills with a good pierce weapon of some sort and go for evasion, because she can nearly always evade their physicals. (Or you can increase your resistance to them.) But yeah, hitting the thing can be somewhat luck garbage-y and evasion isn't 100%. (You also need mystic resist for this strategy) At this point you have the defense accessories to cheese anything though.

If you want to fight the superboss demon, you either need Satori's Punish the Judgment or Yuugi's final weapon (or maybe lv99 Reimu for her ultimate skill) or you won't live through the damage rush phase. (Marisa's mystic nullification commander skill can help, or Satori's Reflect Wall/Starlight Barrier along with Little Legion and Reimu's Duplex Barrier- you need to be able to cover a lot of turns unless you have enough strength to blast it into orbit.) To fight the dragon, you need Aya for breath reflection... and Yuugi's final really helps, but isn't entirely necessary.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
I think that you're overselling the spirit world challenger  :V Reimu, Alice and Satori (needs Reflect Wall and a lot of speed) can buy so many turns that even Youmu with Doujigiri (plus Byakuren support, whose magic defense buff is helpful to make Alice not die from tanking 10x Dark Giga Flare anyways) can methodically grind down the guy. At least, that's how I killed him for the first time because I wanted Satori to learn Dark Giga Flare for explorations. Reisen with Kusanagi might work better though; I haven't tested that option. Surviving the first phase is a far bigger problem, but Alice can tank it easily with Kagami and Swordmaster's Proof (it only has Slash, Dark and Mystic attacks; Fang Crush is weapon-elemental and @wiki says it's equipped with a sword). I believe what I did was Poison Shield + Provoke so spirit world challenger can only hit the backlines once in a blue moon (it doesn't have all-targetting attacks unless dark land is 2/3 up, so don't let that happen), spam the reduce damage by 80% skill on Alice, while covering the backline with Starlight Barrier and Leaf Shield. The Elder Dragon was far more difficult IMHO just because it can neither be cheesed nor easily predicted.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 02:15:56 PM by RegalStar »

Your Everyday NEET

After I posted the last update, I become so busy until I literally got no time to play at all. When I finally got a time to play again, I spent 2 full days grinding everyone until I got really bored and wanted that game to end. After I consulted the strategy with Serela, I fought the expansion final boss the next day... only to finds out that the expansion final boss is way too hard for me to handle.

I spent 3 days fighting it again and again and again with the same result. I just can't seem to win against it. I'm sorry but I can't win against the expansion final boss at all. I could probably win by being Doctor Strange, but honestly, what's the point? I'm already tired of this game kicking me again and again. I'm tired of grinding without a purpose. And I'm tired of spending a huge amount of my time for this game. With regret, I hereby declare this LP:

In Permanent Hiatus.

I'm such a failure of a gamer and a NEET.

Nightmare of Rebellion Expansion Preview:

Nice view

BGM: Toono Dance 3

I really like that oarfish. That thing has a badass and ridiculously over-the-top name.

Do you love pallete swapped enemies? Don't worry, the expansion has a whole lot of them.

I'm fucked.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 03:51:37 AM by Your Everyday NEET »

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
Re: Let's Play The Genius of Sappheiros [HIATUS]
« Reply #160 on: October 28, 2016, 06:39:20 AM »
Honestly, don't feel too bad. I ended up having to quit my own LP because of technical issues, but I wouldn't have enjoyed trying against the final boss. The entire expansion as a whole is just godawful, the other two games have infinitely better ones, it's just... yeah. Yeah.

Good luck with NoR's expansion though, it's... a thing.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #161 on: October 28, 2016, 02:18:31 PM »
Huh, I thought NoR's expansion was pretty nice.

I thought DoD's expansion less balanced and more difficult than NoR's :V

Also Validon since you have extraction tools and whatnot for the game, is it possible to get out the expansion music files and complete your youtube game soundtrack? O: There's some sweet tunes.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #162 on: October 28, 2016, 02:42:06 PM »
DoD's expansion is indeed unbalanced (see: the fights in the Demon Arena), but I still prefer it to GoS's, I only say NoR's is a thing because it has a lot of grinding in the red doors if you want the best gear, but that's per usual for the Strawberry Bose games.

Oh, and uh, yeah, I've been meaning to upload the expansion soundtrack, just haven't got around to it. :'D

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #163 on: October 28, 2016, 03:29:57 PM »
Oh yeah, the endgame grind is even sillier than usual if one is so inclined (I would know, given I did a good chunk- the worst part is the way the game rolls for the "generic" endgame forge material, that system is horrible). But as usual, it's not very important, either, my test run on the final boss kinda curbstomped it... of course, there's always the POWERED UP version... (Which I can probably do but never actually -did-?)

Well as long as I know you CAN do it and will -eventually- that works! It's much better than "nah I don't have any sound files for them so I can't!"

DoD's isn't necessarily bad, but the balance is definitely... off. Lol I hit the boss with a resist debuff so now my next attack does half it's HP in one hit? Um, okay. Making weakness and crit damage scale with stats was not the smartest plan, Bose.

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #164 on: October 28, 2016, 04:19:51 PM »
5% for a gold chest, and another to get to get actually rare weapon. Bleh. Grinding in NoR is more fun though, because you grind for 25 characters at once, and killing certain enemies may make it joins you. Grinding 1/64 doppel is still crap though, it took me solid 3 hours just to get that awesome oarfish, and it's get worse when the game realized I'm grinding that thing.

If you don't have the sound files, you could try to get it the hard way, like what I did with Touhou Mother and Touhou-A-Live.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #165 on: October 28, 2016, 06:47:28 PM »
Nah, he's got 'em (he has the extraction tools) he's just lazy. I CAN UNDERSTAND THIS

But yeah. Get the rare item drop, and then get ANOTHER gold chest from that enemy to actually get the forging material... which you need way too many of to make a single piece of good gear. Thank goodness they really aren't important or it'd be a nightmare and a half.

The 1/64 common enemies aren't all that bad to recruit, but 1/64 on seraphim and royal duke... heh. XD Not to mention the million final area enemies, plus they're all in red doors so you can't run... hah.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #166 on: October 28, 2016, 07:05:57 PM »
Hell, I don't just have the audio files, I have the actual soundtrack versions (including the song used for the PV for the expansion, which is a remix of the theme that plays during the second phase of the postgame version of Nightmare Yukari), it's just, yeah, laziness, plus I've been going back and forth between a bunch of stuff (Final Fantasy XIV, that Nightmare of Rebellion run where I'm forcing myself to use bows [made it to Underground Lake], a Genius of Sappheiros run where I'm using a fixed party of six [made it to Genbu Swamp], and a bunch of RPs and homework), so yeeeeeeah. Same thing with English patch stuff, there's more I need to do with it but I just haven't. :'D

Anyhow, yeah the grinding is the worst part but thankfully it is optional. On that note, I did find out what the drop system is and it's kind of a doozy. I explained it to NEET but I'll explain it here (thank you based Japanese blog that has a bunch of information on DoD and NoR)

So you kill an enemy, congrats, now you roll for a chance (per specific enemy) for it to drop a chest. If it hits that chance, then it rolls again for what item (out of 17 possible). There's seven common chest items (10% for each), five silver chest items (5% for each), and five gold chest items (1% for each). I don't exactly know how the Rare drop up boosts work, but I imagine they shift the weighting to prefer silver and gold chests over common chests, while the regular drop rate boost just increases the rate at which a chest will drop.

If a chest doesn't drop, there's a separate chance (based on dungeon/area, not on enemy) that the enemy will drop a screw. If it does, it rolls from a big list, which is uh... usually big. The lists are on the blog, but they're pretty big and drop a huge variety of items.

So yeaaaaaaah. The loot system in this game is admittedly dumb with its chances but I suppose that's what the Yukkuri items are for in this game.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #167 on: October 29, 2016, 01:30:47 PM »
Oh yeah, I've read up on that after being like "SO WHY AM I NOT GETTING THIS DROP?"

And then found out the gold chest drop is replaced with it if you get it again.

But sometimes drops that work this way are literally 1% drops.

Man, that Quick Shot bow or whatever it was with the 20% pre-empt rate... best offhand weapon ever. With that and the surprise raid baby doll I had like 35% pre-empt, sweeet. I don't... think the bow would have stacked? I actually had like 3 from doppel grinding.

« Reply #168 on: October 29, 2016, 06:19:52 PM »
Sad to see you drop it. But I understand. That final boss took way too much grinding. And even then I got kinda lucky when I managed to kill it. It did feel pretty good when, with the last of my strength, Patchouli's final word managed to finish it off.

Have not tried DoD or NoR yet even tho I have those. Still waiting for a possible story translation.  :)

« Reply #169 on: October 30, 2016, 12:43:13 AM »
5% for a gold chest, and another to get to get actually rare weapon. Bleh. Grinding in NoR is more fun though, because you grind for 25 characters at once, and killing certain enemies may make it joins you. Grinding 1/64 doppel is still crap though, it took me solid 3 hours just to get that awesome oarfish, and it's get worse when the game realized I'm grinding that thing.

That rare spawn + rare drop and trying to recruit a Yukkuri type doppel. :V

« Reply #170 on: August 12, 2019, 12:53:48 PM »
Took me 4 hours to figure out the pattern... hope this can help others in the future from the fruitless random grinding...

Farming obsidian (100% drop rate, at least for me):

1.   Touching healing circle 3 times.
2.  Either 1st left map - escape 2 times to meet Hydra. (Someone else used this with a team including Byakuren, but with 7 turns instead of 5, not sure about their pattern and party members)
     Or       3rd left map - Hydra on 1st encounter. (I used this)
3.  Exit the game (not soft reset with F12) each time after defeating a hydra and getting an obsidian and saving at the healing circle.
4.  Repeat 1.

.                                         
Turn               1              .             2             .             3             .             4              .            5
Hydra                                     attack Sakuya(dazed) and Byakuren

Sanae 3-bomb
Aya              reflect                reflect                  reflect                 reflect                 reflect
Sakuya        attack                full moon            full moon            full moon           full moon
Byakuren    starfire              starfire                starfire(got LW) amplifying         last world (190%)
Youmu        bold advance  asura stance       asura strength   def                      slash of spring wind
Mokou        attack                 attack                 attack                   attack                volcano

My Mokou has gamer fan on her, not sure if it changes anything about the drop whether anyone in the party equips it or not.

Edit:
Do NOT clear the 1st,2nd and 4th maps with my method, only clear all the mobs that are on your way (appear on your screen) to the 3rd map, for some reasons I can't trigger Byakuren's LW on the 3rd turn whenever I cleared the 1st,2nd and 4th map.
And yes, somehow not clearing my path to the 3rd map also screws my 100% obsidian drop rate pattern too?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:45:24 PM by isanomi »