Author Topic: The Ballad of Videogamer: Aspiring Programmer, Beggar, Idiot  (Read 25058 times)

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
Re: The Ballad of Videogamer: Aspiring Programmer, Beggar, Idiot
« Reply #180 on: November 06, 2010, 11:51:35 PM »
I was slightly uncomfortable at first, too, because I also hate it when people act with contempt.

But, I think contempt is more of a one-sided thing, though this may make no sense to people. It lacks a certain justice to it. If a random member in good standing was picked on in this way, yes, that's definitely contempt and yes, it's an injustice.

Was Videogamer a member in good standing? No. Has he ever been? No. Was he on other websites? No. Has he done a single nice thing for the side? No, unless you count the lulz.

So in this case, I don't see this as contempt. It's just justice. He reaped what he sowed. Karma. Whatever you want to call it. It's a two-way thing. Contempt is not, it is very much one-sided, just like the many historical atrocities contributed to the emotion/feeling/phenomenon in general.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #181 on: November 06, 2010, 11:52:49 PM »
And stop beating around the bush and just spit out who you're "morally outraged" at.  Getting kind of tired of your passive-aggressive snipes and vague accusations.
I think you in particular should be able to forgive somebody for unintendedly insulting somebodie's views and likening it to atrocities.   :V

I am still convinced that neither time was it done with malicious intent. Chill out and forgive, mang.  :yukkuri:
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #182 on: November 06, 2010, 11:54:02 PM »
I've been watching this thread for god knows how long, but I still can't picture the entire story.

Do you think anyone can explain it to me in a summary?

Spoiler:
preferably in a script stylized after Dragon Ball Z :smug:
[/tt]
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
Tumblr contains cooking and cosplay. Twitter contains me retweeting everything.
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #183 on: November 06, 2010, 11:56:50 PM »
I think you in particular should be able to forgive somebody for unintendedly insulting somebodie's views and likening it to atrocities.   :V
I'm not even talking about that, I'm more annoyed he keeps on insisting he felt vibes of "evil feelings" and is trying to shame people but not actually coming out and saying "ok I think you and you are terrible people" etc.

If you got a problem with someone, come out and say it and let it stand on its own merits, instead of dodging the issue and getting in passive-aggressive snipes.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #184 on: November 06, 2010, 11:58:32 PM »
@Serp: Well, I think the main difference in moral outrage between this situation and a politician/celebrity being lambasted, if there is any, would be that in this case, one knows the people doing the dehumanizing (I think I agree with it, but I'm not 100% certain. I mean, that this was a dehumanizing situation. Something bugs me about it, I just haven't entirely ferreted it out), whereas usually it's just Generic Asshole With An Opinion Number Forty Six talking about celebrities/politicians and digging up their past and such.

Also, you and you are terrible people. etc.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #185 on: November 06, 2010, 11:58:55 PM »
This will drop down if you let it drop down. Locking a thread to stifle conversation doesn't sit well with me. I want to see if your collective commitment to peace is strong enough that we don't have to lock this thread.

Kilga will probably laugh at me for putting so much faith in the community. So prove me right.
Kilga, you can laugh at me now if you like.

Nice job sabotaging yourselves, all.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #186 on: November 07, 2010, 12:03:40 AM »

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #187 on: November 07, 2010, 12:05:15 AM »
@Serp: Well, I think the main difference in moral outrage between this situation and a politician/celebrity being lambasted, if there is any, would be that in this case, one knows the people doing the dehumanizing (I think I agree with it, but I'm not 100% certain. I mean, that this was a dehumanizing situation. Something bugs me about it, I just haven't entirely ferreted it out), whereas usually it's just Generic Asshole With An Opinion Number Forty Six talking about celebrities/politicians and digging up their past and such.
It's one thing to have someone innocent have garbage dug out about them and strewn across the floor.  That is definitely a terrible thing.  It's another to have someone who was an ass and treating everyone like shit suddenly have their behavior exposed for what it was when they got caught and tried to plead for yet another "last chance".

The guy was a troll and treated everyone like his personal slaves, and when he finally realized he was caught in a corner he tried to lie and claim it was just an honest mistake, an "honest" mistake he made over a thousand times prior.  I'm having a very very very hard time justifying sympathy for his plight.

It wasn't like we dug up his girlfriend and were laughing at how ugly she was, we pulled out examples from other forums and communities he shat up and how this was nowhere near the first, nor probably the last, site he "graced" with his particular variety of stupid.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #188 on: November 07, 2010, 12:10:12 AM »
Oh, I wasn't even touching this debate. I wouldn't know how to. I'm merely talking about Serp's point about comparative outrage from an outside perspective. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Yeah, I feel something was bad about this but there's no point crying over spilled milk. Things happen.

The you and you thing was a poor attempt at humor.

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #189 on: November 07, 2010, 12:10:32 AM »
Kilga, you can laugh at me now if you like.

Nice job sabotaging yourselves, all.

I wouldn't say that everyone who has posted in this thread since that comment has "sabotaged" themselves <_<; I've seen one, maybe three people at most, sound at all like they have any real hostility since then.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #190 on: November 07, 2010, 12:11:54 AM »
I'm not even talking about that, I'm more annoyed he keeps on insisting he felt vibes of "evil feelings" and is trying to shame people but not actually coming out and saying "ok I think you and you are terrible people" etc.

If you got a problem with someone, come out and say it and let it stand on its own merits, instead of dodging the issue and getting in passive-aggressive snipes.
I agree that being clear about ones message would have been the better move in every way, and I understand that it must be annoying, seeing as it was still pretty obvious as to what comment made by whom he was referring to in particular.

Still, keeping the debate on just because of that, even though Nobu made it clear that it was the general existence of contempt in the nature of humanity that he was talking about, and him feeling compassionate towards VG, possibly unreasonably, exists in the nature of humanity just in the same way, seems unnecessary to me.

As I see it, things are sorted out. The rest is just forgiving somebody for making a little stupid mistake that, in the end, didn't cause much actual harm, if any.

On an unrelated note, somehow I am always writing "she" when referring to Nobu and then have to go back to correct it. No idea why.  :derp:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 12:14:12 AM by Ayatollah Komeiji »
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

« Reply #191 on: November 07, 2010, 12:14:51 AM »
I've been watching this thread for god knows how long, but I still can't picture the entire story.

Do you think anyone can explain it to me in a summary?

Spoiler:
preferably in a script stylized after Dragon Ball Z :smug:
[/tt]

From what I can gather:

LAST TIME, ON VIDEOGAMER Z:

Videogamer, a member banned from MotK for his rage against society and failure to be a worthwhile member of the community, was given a chance to redeem himself and was UNBANNED!

But little did the administrators know that he hadn't changed, and in an unexpected move CONTINUED HIS LEGACY OF INFERIORITY!

Finally, the admins had enough, and gave him ONE. LAST. CHANCE. to redeem himself: the great SNOWBALL CHALLENGE!! But Videogamer backed out, charging his laser for THREE WHOLE EPISODES until the admin's said "fuck it" and BANNED HIM AGAIN!

Now, as the rubble of his tirade clears, a new conflict happens...BETWEEN CPMC ITSELF!!!

On one side, the admins of MotK LAUGH  at Videogamer, morphing his last topic into a MONUMENT TO HIS ASSHOLISM!!!

On the other, some of the members DISAGREE, feeling that even Videogamer deserves a modicum of respect!!

The two sides have been fighting in relatively civil conflict when ESIFEX comes in as a medium for both sides!!! For a time, the fight is calmed...

OR SO IT SEEMS.

And now the two sides are at it again, spending THREE MORE EPISODES charging their attacks!

How long will this go on? Will Esifex step in again to calm the combat? Will MotK ITSELF be destroyed?! Why are we STILL HAVING THIS DISCUSSION?!

Find out next time on VIDEOGAMER Z!!!!

EDIT: Oh fucking hell. 8 replies?

LAST TIME:

WE THOUGHT THIS WOULD STILL BE GOING ON.

WE. WERE. WRONG.

Because apparently IT'S PRETTY MUCH OVER NOW!!!

FUCK
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #192 on: November 07, 2010, 12:16:04 AM »
Squid, you win IM. And that's the last good thing to come out of this thread.

Edit: Ah, there, TSO's locked it.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #193 on: November 07, 2010, 12:16:34 AM »
Cut: yeah was saying that.