Author Topic: [Solved] Full screen => black frames around the game  (Read 1508 times)

[Solved] Full screen => black frames around the game
« on: June 10, 2014, 07:35:20 PM »
Hi there,

So I've got this problem for a week now, and can't find a way to fix it.
The games run perfectly in windowed mode, but when I switch to full screen, the game window looks like a 640*480 with huge black frames filling the rest of the screen (my monitor has a 1600*900 native resolution).
I suspect the problem first occurred after I tried to lower the resolution to 800*600. Now it affects pretty much all of my games (in addition to Touhou), except the most recent ones.

Things I've tried so far (some were probably useless) :
- updating my drivers.
- reinstalling my drivers, doing clean installs, with an older version and the most up-to-date (for the GPU).
- running the games in Windows 98 and XP compatibility modes.
- running the games with "-windowed" and "-fullscreen" in command line.
- forcing the games to run using the nVidia GPU (didn't change anything) or the integrated graphics (crashed the game and everything else).

The strangest part is that whenever I try to change the screen resolution (outside of the games), it also fills the remaining space with black frames.
I tried to toy with my graphics card parameters, but the nVidia control panel is empty except for a few useless 3d options.
Running Windows 8 (yeah :< ) with decent ram/gpu/whatever, Japanese locale, and never had this problem before.

Any help would be welcome, thanks in advance !
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:49:51 PM by Reiko »

Drake

Re: Full screen => black frames around the game
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 10:28:22 PM »
If you can update the NVIDIA control panel, do that. The different features might be GPU-dependent on some level, but there is a generally a graphics setting that changes scaling mode for fullscreen applications. You have it set to no scaling. It might also be in the control panel for the integrated graphics.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 10:31:15 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Re: Full screen => black frames around the game
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 05:49:20 PM »
It might also be in the control panel for the integrated graphics.
It was.
I had looked there before, but it appears I had to first change the resolution to 640*480, then go into the integrated graphics panel to change the scaling mode, then go back to the regular resolution settings.
Now everything seems all right again.

Thanks Drake !