Author Topic: This is the 9th thread dedicated to the recording of failures at playing Touhou.  (Read 150064 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Nope, the angle at which the walls are fired is random. If they go correctly, you can take the card out with little effort by wedging into a spot where you can avoid the laser just by pressing up, but often it is not the case.

Another fact that may prove interesting: Astronomical Entombing's familiars can be predicted because they are activated when the lone bubble bullets Eirin keeps firing touches them. It's still so depressing because I've never reached AE clean before, and I have a terrible capture rate on it.

EDIT: Huh. Eirin ND1B. You'd think that'd be an improvement in morale, except that the death was on Omoikane's Brain, from one of those delicious tiny tiny imperfect movements that fuck you over. That SHOULD have been my glorious comeback after giving up in despair earlier. Why WASN'T it?

EDIT 2: Another ND1B, this time because Apollo 13 ganked me. I just don't understand what ZUN expected the player to do on this card. The only way I can see to possibly survive it involves major twitch dodging that simply cannot be done consistently.

Make that another one-mistake run on Apollo 13. I'm just not even caring anymore.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 03:01:44 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

EDIT: Huh. Eirin ND1B. You'd think that'd be an improvement in morale, except that the death was on Omoikane's Brain, from one of those delicious tiny tiny imperfect movements that fuck you over. That SHOULD have been my glorious comeback after giving up in despair earlier. Why WASN'T it?

EDIT 2: Another ND1B, this time because Apollo 13 ganked me. I just don't understand what ZUN expected the player to do on this card. The only way I can see to possibly survive it involves major twitch dodging that simply cannot be done consistently.

Make that another one-mistake run on Apollo 13. I'm just not even caring anymore.

Tough luck buddy. But don't give up. Aim for the perfect run of the target. Do your best you have ever done.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
no deaths x bombs

Hey, hey buddy.
Shut up :V
The best I pull is three/six, and this is on NORMAL.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
My second GFW Extra clear turned out 9 million points shy of my first. This game's scoring system confuses me sometimes.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

nintendonut888

Tough luck buddy. But don't give up. Aim for the perfect run of the target. Do your best you have ever done.

I'd rather not. ;^_^ Getting the perfect on Eirin is something I simply don't have the will to do right now, considering how many elements of the fight are up to luck. ND1B is good enough for now.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

I'm playing PCB Normal, and I was doing good. Made it to Stage 4, no death on the previous stages. I lose all my lives to the Prismrivers, but I didn't have to continue yet. Needless to say, midboss Youmu succeeds where the Prismrivers failed. Here comes the RAGE.

Schezo

• en-counse
Cheese Youmu's opener: Like so~

Hopefully that will put the problems with Youmu many people have to rest.

nintendonut888

It's a pretty well-known loophole. :derp: Still, more people should know about it. Besides, it's more fun to dodge it for real

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
Not entirely. As seen here, I completely forgot I can't do that trick on Stage 6. (how I don't know :V) Let this be a warning for all of you who don't know.

Edit: Also, Donut, did you know I have a Configuring and Running PC-98 Emulators for Touhou thread? Because the sound buffer was already included in it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 07:27:45 AM by Agent of the BSoD »
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
I remember hearing something about the left-right misdirection being more dangerous to execute on lower difficulties due to the spawning speed, or something like that.  :/ I always just did the standard "misdirect 1st wave up, dodge second" method. I'll try L-R in the morning.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

HyperGumba

• Substitutional Immortality
  • Touhou MUCK's PR Person or something
It didn't start out as a failure actually - I beat SA Extra Stage for the first time, after Subterranean Rose even with a life left. Was really happy and everything until I looked at my player data , which said I cleared Extra - with a dropped framerate by around 10%.

Even though I beat it, I didn't realize I was technically cheating since the game ran on around 56 fps instead of your standard 60 fps  :ohdear:

Clicking the signature leads you to our flash-based web client! ~ Here is some extensive info on TM! ~ I also have a Tumblr now!

nintendonut888

Not entirely. As seen here, I completely forgot I can't do that trick on Stage 6. (how I don't know :V) Let this be a warning for all of you who don't know.

Edit: Also, Donut, did you know I have a Configuring and Running PC-98 Emulators for Touhou thread? Because the sound buffer was already included in it.

That's what gave me the idea. I had tried pretty much everything else that could possibly improve the framerate, so I just thought "eh, what the heck." Of course, now I realize my biggest problem is that I was testing these improvements on Mima of all people. X( Still, the fact that I have twice been able to fight her with absolutely no lag tells me that there is something going on. In the end though it doesn't really matter, since recording is impossible due to even Hypercam lagging it to hell.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
That's what gave me the idea. I had tried pretty much everything else that could possibly improve the framerate, so I just thought "eh, what the heck." Of course, now I realize my biggest problem is that I was testing these improvements on Mima of all people. X( Still, the fact that I have twice been able to fight her with absolutely no lag tells me that there is something going on. In the end though it doesn't really matter, since recording is impossible due to even Hypercam lagging it to hell.
Ah, ok. Yeah, hypercam does tend to lag it a bit for me, sometimes. (fraps is pathetic, oddly enough) At least YOU can hear the game while recording it with hypercam. I can't. I have to unplug my speakers entirely, and move the cable to the mic jack, so it can record sound.
I've tried to get this to not happen, but that's impossible, mainly because Stereo Mix isn't on my computer, and installing the drivers doesn't do a thing. Be happy donut! :V

Now, if only I was recording when I did this. It's very possible to fight Elis while she has no life (might be possible for other bosses but hasn't happened to me yet). This doesn't mean she just finishes her attack and then dies, SHE KEEPS GOING! I have a recording of it kinda, but it's only a split second of footage since I died and Next being stupid. So it doesn't really show anything.
TF2 Backpack

Dammit Ran, I have the best run in your stage for ages and then you BS me in the last three seconds of Kokkuri-San's Contract. What the hell.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
Not a failure, per se

>OH MY GOD BEST RUN EVER
Girlfriend>You really aren't dying.
>200 MILLION POINTS, 5 LIVES, 3 BOMBS, FULL POWER, 480 ITEMS...
Girlfriend>That's a good thing?
*Captures Fox-Tanuki Youkai Laser*
>EFF YES THAT MAKES FOUR CARDS CAPTURED
>NOTHING CAN GO WRONG

*5th period bell rings*

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
Not a failure, per se

>OH MY GOD BEST RUN EVER
Girlfriend>You really aren't dying.
>200 MILLION POINTS, 5 LIVES, 3 BOMBS, FULL POWER, 480 ITEMS...
Girlfriend>That's a good thing?
*Captures Fox-Tanuki Youkai Laser*
>EFF YES THAT MAKES FOUR CARDS CAPTURED
>NOTHING CAN GO WRONG

*5th period bell rings*
:fail:
I can't count how many times this has happened to me too.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
:fail:
I can't count how many times this has happened to me too.

Today (MoF Extra)

>FUCK YEAH ORGASM
>FIVE LIVES?
>130 MILLION POINTS?
>5.00 POWER?
>400,000 FAITH?
>THIRD CARD CAPTURED?
>THIS MUST BE MY LUCKY DAY
*first period bell rings*
Girlfriend> Hey, um, the bell
>I AM IN DENIAL

Vibri

• yo, the beats are strong
  • but the night is long
Re: This is the 9th thread dedicated to the recording of failures at playing Tou
« Reply #438 on: December 17, 2010, 11:12:30 PM »
You could try, like, checking the time before you start playing
orrr just don't play video games in school

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
Or how about not playing Extra since that's apparently too long. Try practice instead. You might get somewhere and actually finish!
TF2 Backpack

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
You could try, like, checking the time before you start playing
orrr just don't play video games in school

We have an "optional flex period" in school

0th: 7:15-08:25
My bus: ~08:15
"ofp": 08:30-09:05
1st: 09:10-10:05

It's a glorified way to say "free time; do things" at school.
I spend it in the library Touhou-ing.

Or how about not playing Extra since that's apparently too long. Try practice instead. You might get somewhere and actually finish!

Having beaten the stages before defeats the purpose. I'm playing Extra stages to beat them.
Alternatively, the main games of SA and UFO, because in a view encompassing the latter half of the series they are the metaphorical difficulty spike and continuously bitchslap me in the face.

Speaking of, Shou.
D:<

Schezo

• en-counse
Having beaten the stages before defeats the purpose. I'm playing Extra stages to beat them.
Alternatively, the main games of SA and UFO, because in a view encompassing the latter half of the series they are the metaphorical difficulty spike and continuously bitchslap me in the face.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you practice the stages that bitchslap you in the face, you get better at them, right?  Also, are you sure you don't want to improve from your first run and get better scores, skills, difficulty play, etc.?
You probably will get to doing whatever you want if you just practice the shorter stages from the main game and them apply them when you get home or something.  So when you get home or whatever you'll have the time to use great starting resources.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
Is MarisaB  in UFO as bad as I think it is or have I just been TERRIBLE at it lately?

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
Protip: The only time to use MarisaB is when you first start playing UFO.
Then, after barely scraping a 1cc or whatever, you can switch to a vastly superior shot type and win on your first try!

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
How the hell can Star Sapphire be harder when you face her first in the C routes than when you face her later for the others? This is fucking stupid.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

nintendonut888

I'm confused how I managed to reach max lives by Murasa so easily in my first lunatic 1cc. In all my attempts tonight, I couldn't reach her with more than four. Tsk. It'd also help if Shou was less terrible to me in the runs that reach her. Best I managed was reaching stage 6, where I proceded to die on the opening fairies. :B

Funny, because the reason I'm angry isn't because I fail to 1cc - I've already done that four times, and two of them were decent clears - it's because I want to see the credits sequence, which isn't anywhere on Youtube or Nicovideo.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
Also, are you sure you don't want to improve from your first run and get better scores, skills, difficulty play, etc.?

I did that to the PCB Exxxxtra today.
High score: 468 million
This run: ACTUALLY HAS LEFTOVER RESOURCES 386 million

I think I like the cherry point system less now

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
The thing that gets me about the cherry point system is that there's 3 totally different things going on at the same time (Cherry, CherryMax, and Cherry+) and just reading about it makes my head spin. But I play for survival anyways so it doesn't matter.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=11450

WHAT A GREAT WAY TO GO
Plays like this depress me

THA HELL

I got to Resurrection Butterfly 80% on a 5CC and died
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 10:23:06 PM by Skip Matthews »

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
I did that to the PCB Exxxxtra today.
High score: 468 million
This run: ACTUALLY HAS LEFTOVER RESOURCES 386 million

Go play Sakuya. That'll solve your problem since her bombing penalty is low.