Author Topic: Touhou Unreal Mahjong  (Read 13941 times)

Alice

• 英雄不怕太陽高
Touhou Unreal Mahjong
« on: May 05, 2009, 04:38:37 AM »
I have a problem regarding Touhou Unreal Mahjong, it is about riichi. How much are bonuses and penalties if someone declare riichi if they can ron (self pick and player pick) and if no one has qualified hand?

Re: Touhou Unreal Mahjong
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 07:05:57 AM »
Ah, after reading several times, I think I finally understood what you asked.

Anyway, as you know, to riichi you have to have a closed hand and you have to put 1000 points on the table. If you win with a riichi, you get 1 extra han (and those 1000 points back). If someone else wins, they get the 1000 points you put on the table. If no-one wins, those 1000 points stay on the table until somebody wins in the next hand(s).

That's what happens in normal Japanese Mahjong at least, but the riichi rules don't seem to differ in Touhou Unreal Mahjong. Except when, depending on the stage, putting 1000 points on the table is a pretty significant or insignificant sacrifice. Like the stage where you start with 5000000 points.

Alice

• 英雄不怕太陽高
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 07:48:49 AM »
Ah, after reading several times, I think I finally understood what you asked.

Anyway, as you know, to riichi you have to have a closed hand and you have to put 1000 points on the table. If you win with a riichi, you get 1 extra han (and those 1000 points back). If someone else wins, they get the 1000 points you put on the table. If no-one wins, those 1000 points stay on the table until somebody wins in the next hand(s).

That's what happens in normal Japanese Mahjong at least, but the riichi rules don't seem to differ in Touhou Unreal Mahjong. Except when, depending on the stage, putting 1000 points on the table is a pretty significant or insignificant sacrifice. Like the stage where you start with 5000000 points.
Thanks for the explanation, I asked that because riichi is not exist in Hong Kong mahjong.

Sorry for my bad English.

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 07:36:37 PM »
Is there a key to take a screenshot in this game? I'm running into situations where I'm absolutely positive I should be allowed to ron but can't.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 07:38:16 AM »
(Alt+)Print Screen and paste the image into your favourite image editor.

If you can't ron, either you don't have a proper hand together (note: your hand has to have a value of at least 1 han) or your winning tile is a tile you've discarded once already.
Also, after I won as East several times in a row, the game didn't allow me to ron/tsumo anymore. The stupid AI players didn't win either, so the round kept repeating with no-one winning. But I'm not sure what rule that is, I've never encountered it before.

d13 v0n t0t3n

• Gef?hrlicher Erfinder
  • More than you pay for
    • Living on for tomorrow
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »
This is something new I just learnt yesterday because it isn't explained properly in most riichi rules guide available on the Internet.

I used to think that riichi required you to have a closed hand.

Turns out the actual rule is that you must not steal any discards. Thus a self-declared kan still allows you to riichi afterwards.

Well, not that it made a difference in this match, but it might for your next game.

PS. If you're a rinshan user, choose Yuka or Orin.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 12:41:31 PM »
Which version of the game is the english patch compatible up to?

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 12:45:27 PM »
Yeah, self-declared kan counts as hidden kan, thus the two face-down tiles when it's set aside and why it doesn't affect if you can riichi.

Which version of the game is the english patch compatible up to?
Not the newest one, unfortuantely. And there hasn't been any updates on the patching recently  :/

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 01:08:37 PM »
Now I'm curious. Where would one go to learn how to play Mahjong?

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 01:16:03 PM »
I have no idea what good sites would be, just google for the Mahjonng-rules and go from there.

Or you could read or watch 'Akagi', I heard that helps as well.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 03:54:04 PM »
Since Rinshankaihou was mentioned with no explanation to what it actually is, I'll elaborate on it here.

Rinshankaihou is a single yaku that is attained when you tsumo on a dead wall draw from your self-declared or called kan. It is NOT a chankan, where you win off a tile that is used for someone else's kan. Since it's a tsumo, it automatically follows that you'll get yaku for Menzentsumo. In popular media, Saki from the anime of the same name is known for using this technique to get her big hands.

If you can't ron, either you don't have a proper hand together (note: your hand has to have a value of at least 1 han) or your winning tile is a tile you've discarded once already.
Also, after I won as East several times in a row, the game didn't allow me to ron/tsumo anymore. The stupid AI players didn't win either, so the round kept repeating with no-one winning. But I'm not sure what rule that is, I've never encountered it before.

The game sometimes has limits on how many times you can be dealer. I've actually not seen this in many games I've played, except for house rules. When nobody wins, the round is declared ryuukyoku (流局), which is a draw. Whoever was in Tenpai at the time gains points from those who were not in Tenpai. Those who are not in Tenpai are called in "Noten."

Thanks for the explanation, I asked that because riichi is not exist in Hong Kong mahjong.

Sorry for my bad English.

Yep, Riichi is Japanese Mahjong unique.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 06:11:24 PM »
Not the newest one, unfortuantely. And there hasn't been any updates on the patching recently  :/

Buggrit. I've played fine without english so far.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 07:38:50 PM »
Buggrit. I've played fine without english so far.
Exactly. It would only be useful for the story, which is neglectable here.  ;)

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 02:01:49 AM »

If the dealer wins a hand (or, as I understand it, wins at least 1500 on Tenpai), you go into a "bonus" hand, and the deal doesn't advance. After 5 bonus hands, (can be on different players' deals) the requirement to declare a win increases to 2 han.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 06:04:15 AM »
If the dealer wins a hand (or, as I understand it, wins at least 1500 on Tenpai), you go into a "bonus" hand, and the deal doesn't advance. After 5 bonus hands, (can be on different players' deals) the requirement to declare a win increases to 2 han.

The 2han Shibari doesn't apply to all games by the way. :3c

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 02:07:31 PM »
TV Tropes has an article on it that gives a decent basic introduction.
The standard rule on renchan ("bonus hands" where the dealer doesn't rotate) is that it occurs if the hand is drawn or the dealer wins the hand. Japanese variants usually have the exception that the dealer still rotates (but the honba, or bonus hand number, still increments) if the dealer is no-ten in the event of a draw by running out of tiles. House rules vary for abortive draws, although kyuushuu kyuuhai is virtually always a renchan since it's optional to declare.

I've noticed Touhou Unreal Mahjong doesn't stick to the standard rules, though.
Since Rinshankaihou was mentioned with no explanation to what it actually is, I'll elaborate on it here.

Rinshankaihou is a single yaku that is attained when you tsumo on a dead wall draw from your self-declared or called kan. It is NOT a chankan, where you win off a tile that is used for someone else's kan. Since it's a tsumo, it automatically follows that you'll get yaku for Menzentsumo. In popular media, Saki from the anime of the same name is known for using this technique to get her big hands.
Actually, rinshankaihou does NOT necessarily imply menzen tsumo. Saki just gets both simultaneously a lot.
Menzen tsumo means you drew ALL tiles yourself, including the winning tile. (Menzen = no stolen discards, , tsumo = draw winning tile yourself.)
The only way to get both is to have a tenpai hand with no stolen discards and at least one an-kotsu (i.e. concealed equivalent of a pon), draw the 4th tile to declare a concealed kan on your an-kotsu, and get rinshankaihou from that.
If you stole a discard earlier, then kan and draw the winning tile from the dead wall to win by tsumo, you only get rinshankaihou, not menzen tsumo. Same goes in any scenario where the kan is open (i.e. if you convert a pon to a kan, or if you have three of the same tile and call kan when someone else discards the fourth).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:19:04 PM by Poochy »

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 02:19:55 PM »
Actually, rinshankaihou does NOT necessarily imply menzen tsumo. Saki just gets both simultaneously a lot.
Menzen tsumo means you drew ALL tiles yourself, including the winning tile. (Menzen = no stolen discards, , tsumo = draw winning tile yourself.)
The only way to get both is to have a tenpai hand with no stolen discards and at least one an-kotsu (i.e. concealed equivalent of a pon), draw the 4th tile to declare a concealed kan on your an-kotsu, and get rinshankaihou from that.
If you stole a discard earlier, then kan and draw the winning tile from the dead wall to win by tsumo, you only get rinshankaihou, not menzen tsumo. Same goes in any scenario where the kan is open (i.e. if you convert a pon to a kan, or if you have three of the same tile and call kan when someone else discards the fourth).

Eh.

I get both a lot too, so I probably overlooked this. Meh. And I've played this game for almost four years!