Author Topic: Welcome to the NHK!! Mafia (Game Over, Town Wins)  (Read 18124 times)

PX

• School Idol?
Re: Welcome to the NHK!! Mafia (Game Over, Town Wins)
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2012, 03:49:02 AM »
My only regret was not being able to use my qt with Edible. Stop lynching my favorite townies.

« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2012, 03:55:57 AM »
i felt gipped about that too because i haven't played in the same town as edible since my first game here :<<

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2012, 03:57:57 AM »
Well now it's Edible's turn to host, so it's soooort of like playing with him!
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2012, 03:59:38 AM »
If you want to quit for a while huh what I'll respect that, but IMO you're one of the better players here and would really prefer if you stuck around.  If it's not fun for you right now then I can understand.

Also I don't know what "FWIW" means.

Pretty frustrated after catching up on the graveyard and I'm probably done playing here for a while. FWIW even though my play might not have been the best I was definitely putting effort into playing this game before Day 6.
Effort put in cannot be measured by an observer accurately.  You know how much you put in, if you felt it's enough, it's enough, regardless of if other people think it is or isn't.

« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2012, 04:07:37 AM »
"for what it's worth"

It's not really about self-confidence or thinking I'm a bad player, I'm just not having fun for a number of reasons. People play badly or don't play at all and then are content to whine about how awful everybody alive is. If they actually wanted to make a genuine effort to improve the meta they'd start actively playing better and/or give direct constructive criticism where it mattered (postgame) instead of just posting offhand snark in the graveyard. This game it was mainly PX and Pesco.

I also think the graveyard mentalities make people not want to improve, if they suck it can be blamed on ~MotKTown~. It's annoying to have to decide whether PX is scum or just PX, etc each game.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2012, 04:13:03 AM »
In that case I'm going against the flow  by actively trying to improve :V
Also I generally seem to lurk around the graveyard-on the off-chance I get killed anyway, the one time it happened at not-game end was when I was newbscum.

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2012, 04:34:09 AM »
meh, Px was > 50% to be town latish D1.  I think you have to gut him.  I can't apply logic to a wild PX.

I thought HW you did great.  You nailed Dormio.  You got Rawr lynched.  Your case on me wasn't bad.

Don't lynch me.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2012, 04:37:38 AM »
I suspect I will want to talk to Edible and Pesco after Otakon to see if any punishments need to be handed down for this game. I started reading out of boredom in the middle of Day 2 and it only took two pages before I was already sick of reading the game and I had counted no less than four people who I felt were playing with no respect for their fellow players. I think this lack of respect is pervasive among many, even if it only manifests itself obviously with a few, and I suspect it is holding MotK town back more than anything else.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2012, 04:40:45 AM »
I started reading out of boredom in the middle of Day 2 and it only took two pages before I was already sick of reading the game and I had counted no less than four people who I felt were playing with no respect for their fellow players.
Requesting namedrops because IMO if you're gonna be passive-aggressive about it then it incites paranoia more than helping people improve. I wasn't intending to disrespect anybody while playing the game in any case.

Omba

• ねえ...
  • 君の首...おいしそう
« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2012, 04:55:03 AM »
Wtf Kilga.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2012, 05:11:13 AM »
Huh, so Dormio was effectively a reverse traitor, since if he killed off all his buddies ASAP Shadoweh would make it to endgame unscathed once he offed himself. Makes for interesting gameplay choices.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2012, 05:12:32 AM »
Predicted the game to end only a few hours after I call it a day. Was right.

I haven't even read the QTs and I already don't like what I'm seeing. Ehh... I guess I'll read first. ^_^

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2012, 05:13:29 AM »
if he killed off all his buddies ASAP Shadoweh would make it to endgame unscathed once he offed himself.
That was my gameplan as soon as I figured out what my role actually was.

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2012, 05:18:50 AM »
But Dormio must be alive with Shadoweh after the game ends.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2012, 05:21:49 AM »
Wait, I do?
Even after all that questioning, I still misinterpreted my role. :fail:

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2012, 05:34:40 AM »
It had "Survivor" in it.

How hard can that be to interpret?  Just don't die  :V
Although not dying is kind of in the gameplan (usually...) already

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2012, 06:10:49 AM »
Last game I accepted the fact people were frustrated even though I wasn't. This time around, not so much. Frustrated? Keep it to yourself or, at best, postgame to see if it's justified. Venting only makes others share the same sentiments and *this* happens. I was under the impression this game was honestly okay, so these kind of things are really dumb and ruin it for others.

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2012, 08:02:47 AM »
The only ones who can change that sentiment are us. We are all friends playing games together. I had fun and I'm confident we would have won without the modkill because huh what obviously had a link to the scum qt or something because holy shit.

If we can't enjoy when town wins then what is there left to enjoy? Cheer for your team even if you think they're insane.

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2012, 08:04:02 AM »
HW: Let's play and put good play into practice. I'll use my policies and you get town to show that they are more competent than I give them credit for. In fact anyone who still thinks good of the current town meta can come and do their part too. Edible's game is where we can meet on the field, after that it's PX' game. Though I won't have much free time, I'll be in the game and expect you as well.

I've got a story for you all from before most of your time, when bofh was still around and Sodium last played. Sodium played in 2 games in a row at the time. The first game was quite terrible and the second game he did, in my opinion, better. I wanted Kilga to grant him IP for his improved game. This was denied because 'you don't treat the lone student to score a 30 on a test to ice cream when everyone else scored a 15'.

Bofh has been a fellow Godmother with me since the start of time. It's unfortunate that he's not around to make postgame walls anymore. In the early days I would also feel indignant at him calling out the times where I've played like a moron. Go read his posts in MotK Mafioso or Invasion. What is the true sentiment of his messages?

I expect everyone here should be capable of thinking beyond the literal words of what I've just said. I'll make it easier still for you guys.
- Arbitrary improvement is not good enough. The current level is seriously flailing around until you find someone to blindly follow off a cliff. Start playing the game using your own thought processes and laying them out for others to analyse from Day 1, not Day 6.
- Read my comments as snark, rage, tsun or whatever. It's what needs to be fixed for improvement to happen. Letting things fix itself wasn't going to work. Someone has to be there cracking the whip and setting at least the standard they know.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #139 on: July 27, 2012, 09:56:18 AM »
Still better then any other mafia forums I've played on.

Every Mafia game has it's share of bullshit. It's how we differentiate between who needs to be lynched and who doesn't. People who are lynched early could probably take that as a lesson on how to play better, and the people who lived till the end can probably stand to pat themselves on the back.

There's some obvious things like "Players like Rawr need to not sheep everything and twitterpost less" too. We may not lynch sheep or lurkers on D1 all too often, but it's still not a good thing to do. It's fine if you agree with a case, but at least make an effort to read the player yourself before jumping on the wagon and try and add a few comments of your own if you can.
Reads are always nice too. Yes, even in the early game. Having an opinion on everyone will make everyone's life easier, and save you te trouble of going back and rereading if you're highly confident about your read at that time.
Also important to try and put yourself in a 1v1 and debate things out with a player. Simply standing on the sidelines and making 1postperday every time isn't going to further the game or improve you as a player.

Of course nobody is immune to criticism here and that's not going to change anytime soon.

Finally, it's a game.
Not only is it meant to waste your time (and improve your debating and social skills), but also don't forget that there's basically no reason to take anything out of each of these Mafia threads, especially negative emotions. Things will almost ALWAYS get heated, opinions will get called "dumb", snarky comments will be made, people will be lynched for questionable reasons. If you're taking your anger outside of these threads/quicktopics and into other threads/real life/future Mafia games you probably should take a chill pill or not bother playing again.
Of course being bullied is another manner, but considering this is Mafia, the seriousness of said bullying should be debated before you start acting on it.

*cough*
No, I'm not trying to justify anything I did in this game, before at least one of you starts calling me out on this. What happened happened, and there will be adjustments made to prevent further issues in that regard.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2012, 10:40:04 AM »
I apologise if someone was frustrated due to my frustration with sheep. It definitely felt like some people stopped trying, so if you're offended I thought you weren't trying then, uh, sorry, that's how it came off to me.

At least no one replaced out this game, so that's something!

Omba

• ねえ...
  • 君の首...おいしそう
« Reply #141 on: July 27, 2012, 10:52:53 AM »
inb4 Pesco & huhwhat roll scum next game.

Reading over bofh's post-game stuff - yeah, that's pretty much exactly what we could use after most games right now.

Bardiche

« Reply #142 on: July 27, 2012, 10:53:13 AM »
link?

Omba

• ねえ...
  • 君の首...おいしそう
« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2012, 10:57:10 AM »

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2012, 12:35:39 PM »
Requesting namedrops because IMO if you're gonna be passive-aggressive about it then it incites paranoia more than helping people improve. I wasn't intending to disrespect anybody while playing the game in any case.

Those will come after a small discussion. My opinion is one opinion; if no one else sees what I see in a certain person, then it's pointless for me to namedrop. (Naming names so soon after the game is also a bit of aa kneejerk reaction an I'd rather not make decisions based on that.)
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Omba

• ねえ...
  • 君の首...おいしそう
« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2012, 12:54:02 PM »
If you namedrop, you get a response on whether other people see the same thing you're seeing a lot quicker and from a broader point of view (because more people can answer to it).

Bardiche

« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2012, 01:01:36 PM »
I agree with Kilga's decision not to namedrop.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #147 on: July 27, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
Speaking of namedrops, Pesco, the post walls you're referring to (according to Omba) went on and addressed people one by one, so they knew exactly what parts of the overall criticism applies to them. Saying "townies need to use their own thought process" as a general thing won't help people who don't know they're guilty of it and think their thought process is ~just fine~ (that's just an example). If your flaws aren't crystal clear to you, you won't do your best to improve.

Addressing people directly is fine as long as your intent is for them to get better and they don't find it offensive. On-topic, this is why I would support telling people you think are antagonistic that they are antagonistic, so that they try their best to change next time.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #148 on: July 27, 2012, 01:29:47 PM »
Everyone is guilty of it. No exceptions.

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #149 on: July 27, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »
Quick comments from me on the game.

First off, I would like to apologize to Neko for not warning him correctly (e.g PM) in, say, D2 before modkilling him... since it was not as if he was irredeemably bad or anything.  I also feel as if emotion came into my judgement of him as well, especially when it came to flavor and my replies to his PMs as well.  I hope the message was sent across however, and I mean nothing personal about the modkill.

Secondly, there were some modding errors, such as telling rawr he was a 2-shot hitman instead of a 1-shot one and accidentally confirming Bard as cop in their quicktopic.  Also I think huhwhat's role was ill-advised and unnecessary.  Quite sad that Dormio did not have a chance to shine however, though I rooted for his win.  If I had to do it again, I would make the lovers post restriction more stringent (such as forcing them to be tsun by 'denying' being lovers with anyone) and such.  Also possibly would have allowed Nanako and Kaoru to talk in school during the day.

As for the standard of play this game, I am probably with Bard.  Sheeping is bad and made for a wholly uninteresting game, like playing bingo with PX, Domio, Serela and Schezo on a 4x4 grid to determine the lynch order regardless of content.  Scum may or may not join any of these sheeping chains, and thus they leave little trace of their ailgnment; scum had to throw away the game before people could find them.

There was also a dire lack of communication and dialogue; Dormio's and PX's rants about no one listening to them definitely has a grain of truth to them, though they are themselves guilty of this. Heck, Dan's ridiculous setup spec was indicative of town's waning interest in the game, and Serela seemed like the only one willing to consider possibilities, which is why he deserves the player MVP this game.

Lastly, there was a disturbing amount of upset people this game and post-game.  This tends to make things awkward for everyone, so man up and cut things out. 

As for advice on the appropriate parties about curing themselves of their meta, they should make cases and votes based on 'X is scummy because Y'.  If there are two scumreads, say why one is stronger than the other and vote accordingly.  If someone not in your range of suspects is a viable candidate for being lynched that day, briefly state why you agree or disagree with that lynch and why.  Compared to these bedrocks of scumhunting, making unsubstantiated townreads and stuff are superfluous.  People have to listen if this is followed; if they don't, it is the sound of MoTKTown sucking.

Thanks to Nameless, and to a lesser extent, pesco and Edible, for the more or less successful running of the game.