Author Topic: What is your most played spellcard in the entire series?  (Read 7846 times)

What is your most played spellcard in the entire series?
« on: June 11, 2017, 05:25:04 AM »
A spellcard that, for whatever reason, has the highest numbers of attempts. It can be from the entire series, as in a main or a side game.

For me, I think the absolute winner so far is still this gem:

...Even after all these years, I don't think I have ever attempted a spellcard as many times as this freaking thing. Not any other photo/ISC scene, or PCB spellcard, or LoLK Spellcard... this still wins over EVERY SINGLE OTHER ATTACK IN ALL THE GAMES in number of attempts for me... I hated this scene so much.

I guess the only good thing about it is that nobody can claim that I am not persistent, LMAO.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 05:27:31 AM by ILikeBulletZ »

CrestedPeak9

• Fangame Advocate
Re: What is your most played spellcard in the entire series?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 05:52:43 AM »
I think we all know what RB's answer is :V

For me, I jump between games a lot, so I don't really have a particular spell played most.

...with the exception of when I was making the Ultra patch for BoSM, where a particularly large number of attempts went into all of Fuma's attacks, particularly her Last Word.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 03:12:32 PM by CrestedPeak9 »
Lunatic 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS, WBaWC

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 10:02:32 AM »
Good Omen , 2752 tries, but at least i can capture it like 45% of the times now

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 12:35:59 PM »
Falling Leaves of Madness 433/493.

Yeah, I reset on Stage 1 and 2 deaths a lot when I was going for the Hard 1cc :)

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 02:19:25 PM »
Imperishable Shooting 11/566 (plus 9/44 ingame). Maybe that's more than it sounds at first considering it's a survival card with a 78 seconds timer.
I wanted to capture this card blind which took 378 attempts and trying to score added most of the remaining attempts. I really love this card to bits though - it could very possibly be my favourite spell in the entire series.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 02:44:33 PM »
Boundary Between Wave and Particle / Shoot the Bullet

Not sure how many attempts that was, but considering the shots taken and the fact that my saves got corrupted at one point resetting the count, I'd guess around 2000 tries.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 02:46:45 PM by niektory »

RB

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 03:28:56 PM »
Pristine Danmaku Hell:

Add in an extra 1205 attempts from PD and other Legacy shots and you have a total of 3540 attempts. Average caprate when I do a xx/10 set is around 5 or 6, my best xx/50 set was 52% (26/50 caps). My 2nd most played spell in LoLK is Lilies as shown above, 3rd is Speed Strike with 227/252.

There's also this fucker. It seems to be the easiest out of the 3 scenes I have left in the game (the other two are, predictably, 10-4 and 10-7) which is why I have done it the most. I stopped bothering with ISC 75/75 no item long ago though.

Other notable mentions: DS 10-8 timeout took around 5-6 hours to get, I'd wager around 700-800 attempts on it. I have over 500 attempts on Fuma's fourth spell (my best is around 50s left) and over 450 in Nezu's first spell in BoSM trying to time them out as well. I have around 450 in Legendary Flying Saucer Luckbased Fucking Shitstorm trying to time it out (both vanilla and timeout phase), Greatest Treasure has around 350 (I'm not really accurate on both of them, I used ZM's scorefile for spell practice xd, the only game that I use my normal scorefile for spell practice on is LoLK).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 03:34:26 PM by RB »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 04:38:43 PM »
Fitful Nightmare, with 2714 attempts. Some of these were with the Substitute Jizo main item, so technically I've died on this attack way more than this.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 10:53:58 PM »
Falling Leaves of Madness 433/493.

Yeah, I reset on Stage 1 and 2 deaths a lot when I was going for the Hard 1cc :)
You're not the only one. Nearly half my runs ended with careless deaths to the stage 1 fairies or Minoriko's first spell.

GenericArrangements

• The Monthly Ghost of the Art Atelier
  • i do the music thing (!?)
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 11:01:42 PM »
Esoterica "Nine Syllable Stabs" from the SA Extra Stage. Probably something around 700-900 attempts, before I lost my data. Usually doesn't take me that long to get past spellcards.
Please read my posts as if I'm not taking them too seriously.

i did a lunatic 1cc of MoF once and i'm happy enough with just that

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 10:45:02 PM »
Miko's penultimate, with 567 tries. It is at least the one with most tries on record, since I've gone through many scorefiles in some games, and used some that aren't mine in others.
I'd imagine my most played spell overall would be Kisume's spellcard in SA, though. Likely with 1000+ tries (but I doubt it)

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 12:11:39 AM »
696 on Seiga's overdrive spell back when i started touhou

alternatively, but that's not a spellcard, LoLK stage 6 rain section in Ultra PD at 1200+ attempts (with music off, ughhhh the ear pain)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 12:14:03 AM by maiohnee »

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 03:38:51 AM »

Looking back at it, this was actually really sad.

Also for some reason the post wouldn't let me use an attachment so I had to upload it elsewhere.
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 10:14:26 AM »
A spellcard that, for whatever reason, has the highest numbers of attempts. It can be from the entire series, as in a main or a side game.

For me, I think the absolute winner so far is still this gem:

...Even after all these years, I don't think I have ever attempted a spellcard as many times as this freaking thing. Not any other photo/ISC scene, or PCB spellcard, or LoLK Spellcard... this still wins over EVERY SINGLE OTHER ATTACK IN ALL THE GAMES in number of attempts for me... I hated this scene so much.

I guess the only good thing about it is that nobody can claim that I am not persistent, LMAO.

Funny, I managed to get this in 12 tries with Nimble Fabric, subbing with the Jizo.

But in ISC, this was my bane:

Still not the spellcard I've made the most attempts at though, by a long shot. That distinction would have to go to, oh, pretty much any of Marisa's spellcards in Imperishable Night. She's the whole reason why I usually opt for Magic Team.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 02:57:47 PM »
Funny, I managed to get this in 12 tries with Nimble Fabric, subbing with the Jizo.
He was going for a no-item clear, by the looks of it. 5-2 is indeed one of the hardest scenes to do so for.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 03:04:47 PM »
He was going for a no-item clear, by the looks of it. 5-2 is indeed one of the hardest scenes to do so for.

Oh damn, didn't notice that. My bad!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 10:47:07 PM »
I'd say any of Ex Keine's spells, or clownpeice, as I had reached 99+ on her 1st survival. I won't disclose what difficulty, as I don't want to be THAT embarrassed.

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 01:12:19 AM »
I'd say any of Ex Keine's spells, or clownpeice, as I had reached 99+ on her 1st survival. I won't disclose what difficulty, as I don't want to be THAT embarrassed.
Embarrassed? Don't be. Hell Eclipse is an absolute nightmare even on the lower difficulties. In fact, the normal version is actually harder than the hard/lunatic versions in some respects - the spinning walls of death aren't as closely spaced, but the random rain of stars makes things pretty awful.

Ex Keine's second spell takes practice and isn't exactly trivial even when you're used to it, but her first and third spells are fairly ordinary streaming. They look quite intimidating, but they're surprisingly manageable if you force yourself to stay calm and use slow, controlled movements.

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 01:20:27 AM »
inferno "striped abyss"easy ... i tried to go on and capture all easy spell cards with all characters in PD on my first playthrough with each character and this spell card made me regret this choice.

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 03:30:50 AM »
I tend to restart the game if I screw up on stage 1 or screw up badly enough on stages 2 or 3. With LoLK being my favorite game I play it a LOT, but being what kind of a game it is I also tend to screw up a LOT. All this adds up to Seiran's midboss spell being the one I've played the most, at almost 300 tries.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 02:57:13 PM »
Probably Tongling Yoshika, actually. I spent thousands of attempts going for the pacifist timeout (which I did get in the end). It was an on and off goal on the side that I did for about 5 years.

HistoryoftheMoon

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 03:07:30 PM »
While I'm sure I've played other spell cards more due to runs, the one I've tackled the most in Practice is Curse of Apollo 13, either trying to master the safespot on Normal or just trying to clear it on Hard in order to unlock the last word.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 06:01:38 PM by HistoryoftheMoon »

R. P. Genocraft

• Craftsman of absolute unpredictability
  • Boundary of productive and lazy
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 11:23:10 AM »
Junko's survival spell, I spent days trying to beat it on pointdevice. Then I gave up and did another entire run saving a bomb for it. Even then it took me a lot of tries to beat it.

RB

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 01:12:40 PM »

I'm growing fond of this spell... (it's yatsuhashi's final)

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 02:48:44 AM »
A Pristine Danmaku Hell, 127/2123.
others spellcards would include Junko stuff too, Lillies and Pristine Lunacy are around 450 attempts, I just really enjoy making progress on her fight.

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2017, 06:28:22 AM »
Let's take a trip down memory lane

That aside, I've got a whopping 5/2097 on Seiga's overdrive spell because it's really fun and I believe I tried to no focus it as well as try to complete it without moving away from directly under her.
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

yeashie

• Lunatic Fangame Fanatic
  • You Know I Have to Do It to Em
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2017, 04:47:39 PM »
Even though it isn't a spellcard, Yuuka's last phase takes the cake for me, otherwise Fujiyama Volcano.

Knight

• Reti or not, here I come!
  • WE WILL WE WILL FORK YOU!
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2017, 12:16:56 AM »
Since I main Sakuya in Hisoutensoku, my most used spellcards are Killing Doll and Private Square.

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2017, 08:58:58 PM »

This is not exactly all attempts, but maybe the amount of actual attempts is closer to 4000? I did die before the second photo in most attempts I think.

In Impossible Spell Card, I have 3856 attempts at 6-7.

5850 photos on Iku's star spell card in Double Spoiler, counting both Aya and Hatate. Then I also started on a fresh score dat a few times here and some other cards also had high numbers, such as 9-7 (a bit over 4000) that might be a strong contender for real highest attempt count in Double Spoiler. I also attempted 11-4 a lot, but mostly tried to time it down, so not much of a record was kept of that.

Then I have some on Mononobe's Eighty Sake Cups Lunatic: 2351 attempts.

Then there's Sirius "High-Speed Pounce" Lunatic: 2250 attempts across all shottypes.

Another big one is Social Upheaval Requiem on Lunatic: 2235 total attempts across shottypes.

Probably have some high numbers in SA or MoF as well, can't think of anything that would really contend with these right now though.

Let's take a trip down memory lane

;_______;
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!