Author Topic: [Commission Request] Dolphin Rider Koishi concept art?  (Read 16337 times)

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
[Commission Request] Dolphin Rider Koishi concept art?
« on: May 22, 2012, 11:22:53 PM »
So as some of you may know, I've got a long running story over here on PSL called Dolphin Rider Koishi. It's something I've put a lot of time and effort into, and as silly as the basic concept (Touhou + modern day + magical girls) is I'm rather proud of it.

The problem, though, is that I have a poor pictorial imagination - in other words, I'm bad at seeing a scene in my head. I've written about characters for weeks without getting a solid picture of them in my mind, but getting a picture to work from mentally makes the thought process a lot easier.

So it's on that basis I was wanting to make a request today. In short, I'd be looking for an artist who'd be willing to do some work on drawing some of the characters from the story. Concept sheets of sorts for the protagonists is what I had in mind - normal outfits, magical girl outfits, any accessories worth focusing on, etc. Obviously this wouldn't be unpaid, and I'd be offering 20-25 USD per sheet. Paypal would be my preferred method of transaction but if I'm really impressed by your art I'll push for something else.

So basically, if you're interested, make a mention of it here and link to a piece of your work that you're particularly proud of. If you get my interest I'll get in touch and we can work something out.

I'm not putting a firm deadline on this - I'm not sure how many people I'll get responding (probably very few) and I might not get a response at all. Still, worth a try.

EDIT:

OK, rather than bumping this thread every time I get a sheet from Stuff, I'm just going to link them here. Names will be spoilered accordingly when we get into the later Sirens (though Siren 2 already got spoiled a bit further in, so :V).

Siren 1 - Koishi
Siren 2 (arc 2 spoilers) -
Spoiler:
Mokou
[/url]
Siren 3 (arc 3 spoilers) -
Spoiler:
Sakuya
[/url]
Siren 4 (arc 4 spoilers) -
Spoiler:
Komachi
[/url]
Siren 5 (arc 5 spoilers) -
Spoiler:
Youmu
[/url]
Siren 6 (arc 6 spoilers) -
Spoiler:
Satori
[/url]
Siren 7 (arc 7 spoilers) -
Spoiler:
Nazrin
[/url]
Extra (arc 6 spoilers)-
Spoiler:
Ocean Princess Koishi
[/url]
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 08:34:34 PM by Vicekanken »

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
Re: [Commission Request] Dolphin Rider Koishi concept art?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 08:28:12 AM »
I just dipped my hand into DRK, and I like what I'm reading!
I'll be bored, I have a chronic susceptibility to it, so I'll help pitch in whenever I'm bored and/or if noone else feels like doing it. Especially 2 weeks from now and on
I'm not a good artist -I'm an amateur, so forget about payments and stuff for me. That being said, it wont be like pro work, but trace amounts of sugar are still sweet
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:17:49 AM »
Honestly, even that is more than I was expecting to get. I really appreciate it.

I've got art for the OCs I've been using, but the Sirens themselves are sort of a clean slate. There's description in the story but if you're going to try drawing anything like that let me know and I'll try to put together a fuller description for you.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 11:51:06 PM »
I'm working out a non-profit arrangement with Rou. If you want to do commissions for him anyway for his SICK DOSH he might still be interested though. Dude likes his pictures.

The Unlimited RR

• Last Showdown RR&D
    • Photobuckitz
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 02:13:04 AM »
I've also been reading through this and am also very interested in going at least taking a shot at any of the characters.
If you at least want an example of some of the stuff I've done, I have a Photobucket Account where I store a bunch of my work, colored and not.
If you just want a colored example, I have this Picture which I did very recently.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 02:24:45 AM »
Herm. As much as this piques my interest, I can't do anything worth a dime in commissions! But this sounds like a nice excuse for fanart!
So basically I am happy to provide some drawings out of reader loyalty but I probably will not be able to give you what you want.

That being said, is it alright if you link to characters' appearance descriptions?

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 09:12:58 AM »
That being said, is it alright if you link to characters' appearance descriptions?
Part of what I'm working out with Stuffman right now is solidifying the vague stuff - for example I'm pretty sure I never went into any detail as to what the school uniform looks like. That said it wouldn't be a bad thing if several people got a shot at it.

Give me a little while, and I'll throw together a compilation of the current Sirens. Hopefully that should help. (I'll throw in the first sketch Stuff did because I really like where he went with the uniform.)

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 09:44:23 AM »
Part of what I'm working out with Stuffman right now is solidifying the vague stuff - for example I'm pretty sure I never went into any detail as to what the school uniform looks like. That said it wouldn't be a bad thing if several people got a shot at it.

Give me a little while, and I'll throw together a compilation of the current Sirens. Hopefully that should help. (I'll throw in the first sketch Stuff did because I really like where he went with the uniform.)
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait! No Spoilers please! I'm only on page 2! Can you just link to a text file or some other site?

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 11:17:30 AM »
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait! No Spoilers please! I'm only on page 2! Can you just link to a text file or some other site?
That was the plan.

Here is the compilation. (Obviously, major spoilers.) The particularly keen-eyed may notice I've changed a few outfit specifics from how they were in the story, like
Spoiler:
giving Mokou more hair ribbons in Siren form
. There's no great justification for this beyond a) the previously mentioned difficulty with mental images and b) some of this stuff is two years old okay >:(

I've also been reading through this and am also very interested in going at least taking a shot at any of the characters.
If you at least want an example of some of the stuff I've done, I have a Photobucket Account where I store a bunch of my work, colored and not.
If you just want a colored example, I have this Picture which I did very recently.
Looking through your album it looks like your style may be a bit more suited to guys than girls, but there IS
Spoiler:
Rinnosuke
on that count. Anyway, PM me if you want to arrange something.
(I admit I might not be offering as much - with Stuff doing a lot of things for me non-profit it's a bit harder to validate the expense. Sorry >.<)

D8ms

• Oriental
    • saigyouji.net
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 09:24:40 AM »
If get the concept sheets, I'll make and rig a 3D model for one of the characters (I'm thinking Sango, because she was an original) and do a simple rigged animation with it as a thank you for the lovely reads

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 11:06:38 AM »
If get the concept sheets, I'll make and rig a 3D model for one of the characters (I'm thinking Sango, because she was an original) and do a simple rigged animation with it as a thank you for the lovely reads
There isn't a concept sheet for Sango in the making, mainly because there's already one here. It's from her Gensokyo incarnation, but most of what's there is still in DRK with some slight changes (what her vials do, for example).

And an animation would be really awesome. Thanks. :D

EDIT: Also, bumping to say that Stuffman's Koishi sheet is ready for human consumption. :DD
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 03:10:27 PM by Rouceanus Shenron »

D8ms

• Oriental
    • saigyouji.net
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 04:47:28 PM »
There isn't a concept sheet for Sango in the making, mainly because there's already one here. It's from her Gensokyo incarnation, but most of what's there is still in DRK with some slight changes (what her vials do, for example).

And an animation would be really awesome. Thanks. :D

EDIT: Also, bumping to say that Stuffman's Koishi sheet is ready for human consumption. :DD

To save me some work, do you have any coloring in mind? Or would you prefer Koishi instead?

Take you time thinking, I currently have a queue of touhou models to work on :p

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 04:58:28 PM »
To save me some work, do you have any coloring in mind? Or would you prefer Koishi instead?

Take you time thinking, I currently have a queue of touhou models to work on :p
The colours are more or less there on the sheet, but here's a coloured pic to help. Only thing that's changed since then are her eyes (blue) and the hair-flower (purple-to-white with a purple centre).

D8ms

• Oriental
    • saigyouji.net
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 05:14:12 PM »
The colours are more or less there on the sheet, but here's a coloured pic to help. Only thing that's changed since then are her eyes (blue) and the hair-flower (purple-to-white with a purple centre).

That's a good enough reference, I was mostly after colors of the skirt and the main blue for the shirt

Inb4 monstrosity

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 10:50:01 AM »
Not so much concept art as it more of a 'rough interpretational fanart'
[attach=1]

I'm pretty pleased with the results, I think it turned out rather fi-
Behind her, her long silver hair was kept under control by a single ribbon
|||||||||
|||orz|||

But really, I like the result, though it could use a lot more creative inspiration on my part
(I should be studying for Spanish finals right now.... I mean, uh, ?Esta muy bueno!)

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 09:20:34 PM »
Damn, that's cool. The phoenix symbol looks really ornate and fancy, and so does the arm-feather. (I kept the wings out of the design because I figured they'd be awfully hard to draw on a decent scale. :V

With regards to the interpretation - well, if it means anything, I changed how many ribbons Mokou had in Siren form anyway. I admit I've kept descriptions relatively vague with regards to design. This could be thanks to one of two things:

- Leaving details out of the loop gives room for imagination and lets the reader build their own vision into their head, which they then feel more attached to since they had a part in making it
- I am TERRIBLE with outfit design. Hint: It's mainly this one.

I'm not intending to make any particular version of the outfit strictly canon. I like letting people toy around with their take on the design, and I figure most artists like a little space to go their own way as well.

Also, if possible, when linking to work that shows any Siren other than Koishi/Mokou, don't link to an image or mention them by name without
Spoiler:
spoiler tags.
I figure third Siren is definitely far enough into the story to count as a significant spoiler. :V

BONUS EDIT: Speaking of Mokou...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:29:13 PM by Rouceanus Shenron »

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 01:34:16 AM »
Also, if possible, when linking to work that shows any Siren other than Koishi/Mokou, don't link to an image or mention them by name without
Spoiler:
spoiler tags.
I figure third Siren is definitely far enough into the story to count as a significant spoiler. :V

Oh snap, oops, I'll remember that

KrackoCloud

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 01:34:59 AM »
Sorry about how long this took. I've been unfortunately busy for quite some time.
But, it's finally done!
I did take some liberties with the costume design. Hope you can tolerate it!

Spoiler:
Komachi
: http://fav.me/d52fiii

I should mention that since I've been short on time I've only worked on the siren form. I'll add more in the future!

EDIT:
Spoiler:
You know, I realized I made her look kind of piratey and less cowboyish :/
(Whoops!)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 04:13:56 PM by KrackoCloud »

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 09:57:52 AM »
Spoiler:
Komachi
: http://fav.me/d52fiii
Accurate portrayal of my response to this.

Seriously, though, this is awesome. Thanks a ton. O.O

(Silly note, you didn't spoiler your edit. :V)

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 11:18:25 PM »
Apologies for the delay, lots of things going on on a lot of fronts for people. But for those interested Stuff's third sheet is complete! He's cut back on the non-pose shots, though, because this stuff already takes him long enough. :V

Siren 3:
Spoiler:
Sakuya
[/url]

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 11:45:49 AM »
Wait, I thought the skirt was supposed to be black. :smokedcheese:

Crow's Dumping Ground of Art

"So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring, because my faith is on solid rock; I am counting on God."

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 01:13:01 PM »
Wait, I thought the skirt was supposed to be black. :smokedcheese:
And the shirt on Siren form was supposed to be white, but I didn't want to be too much of a hassle after so long :V

EDIT: Brought things up with Stuff. This should fix more or less all the colour issues.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 10:32:33 PM by ShiRou Takayama »

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 08:26:12 PM »
Do people still pay attention to this thread?

If you answered yes, have some Siren #4! Siren design is based heavily on Kracko's picture, which still makes me smile when I look at it. :)

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 09:24:43 PM »
Dat gun... I like it!

e: oh god your avatar :V
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 12:06:04 AM »
Having never read DRK my reaction was a resounding "WUT". I think I remember that to be normal though. For what it's worth, I like them.

KrackoCloud

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 04:15:55 AM »
Do people still pay attention to this thread?

If you answered yes, have some Siren #4! Siren design is based heavily on Kracko's picture, which still makes me smile when I look at it. :)
Aaaaaaaaaah

I feel like... Like I can make an impact! :U

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 08:57:13 PM »
oh hello, this thread still exists.

Well, I requested another pic from Kracko after my response to his last one! This one is spoilers all the way up to arc 6, so consider yourself warned.

Wasn't originally planning on having the sword be that large - I was looking for a saber similar to
Spoiler:
Satori's
- but now I'm gonna have to think it over some more because I really like how this weapon looks. Thanks again, Kracko!

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2013, 08:32:17 PM »
OK! Rounding up the Sirens, we've got Kracko doing some more quality work. Thanks again! :D

Arc 5 Spoilers:
Spoiler:
Youmu
[/url]
Arc 6 Spoilers:
Spoiler:
Satori
[/url]
Arc 7 Spoilers:
Spoiler:
Nazrin
[/url]