Author Topic: Are you a DARK FLAME MASTER enough dude to CHUUNIBYOU this thread?  (Read 70776 times)

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
Yuuta Togashi suffered from chuunibyou (fantasy/delusional disease where one tends to think oneself as some kind of superhero/vampire etc. with real life LARPing examples, things may or may not include cosplaying and taking the whole 9 mile road of talking in third person), while he was in middle school.
When he graduated, he put that dark history behind him and forgot about it... or he was supposed to. As he tries to leave the sad past behind, he encounters a girl coming down from his apartment one floor above his... their eyes met, and strange fate would have it that High school was smooth sailing and full of enjoyment - until the unavoidable, sad event occurs. The event that locks Yuuta into a contract with Rikka Takanashi and disrupts his desperately ordinary life.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbcq6mI6BW1qzqnxxo1_500.gif

This entire episode best gif. and yes, this show sums up my life when I discovered anime, and how I feel after going through the 'fantasy' stage.

While we are discussing this anime, is anyone a Chuunibyou sufferer or a victim who finally graduated from its horrors?
I look back today and I see all those Kamen Rider LARPing... and I can't help but do the same thing as this gif.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 04:47:49 PM by Edible »
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

pineyappled

Re: Are you a DARK FLAME MASTER enough dude to CHUUNIBYOU this thread?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 09:12:42 AM »
Posting for great justice.
http://i.imgur.com/drv68.gif

[edible]Unembedding due to size restrictions.[/edible]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 04:46:56 PM by Edible »

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 09:43:02 AM »
gotta love the train door part. I do that with lift doors still.
and with any other automated door... am I chuunibyou yet?
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 04:32:52 PM »
His classroom introduction was really cringe-inducing because I can relate. I had a very active fantasy life as a tween, mostly within the world of D&D (1ed 4 lyfe yo). I would bring my D&D books to school with me, draw my favorite OCs in class, and often evoked phrases or expressions only found in that world. Watching him stand up and proudly proclaim his role made me at once proud of him and embarrassed for him.

The comedy is sharp, the pacing is good, and I do like that the message, thus far, is not "play time is fine but you have to do grown-up things too" but just "never let your fantasy world die". Love that. AOTS.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 04:49:24 PM »
gotta love the train door part. I do that with lift doors still.
and with any other automated door... am I chuunibyou yet?

I did that with traffic lights.

With young kids in the car I still do it, only now I can cheat and use walking signals and opposing yellow lights to trick them into thinking I have MAGICAL TRAFFIC LIGHT POWERS.

Being an adult is awesome.

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 08:20:45 PM »
I actually had something like chuunibyou, but it happened over the course of 2 years, starting in 7th grade. It didn't involve whole fantasy-world shenanigans, but it did involve me doing clich?d things (
Spoiler:
like leaving "mysterious" love notes and gifts
) and expecting good things to come out of them. Watching this show brings back that horrible, horrible feeling that sometimes accompanies nostalgia.

Mootsies

• There is a reaction? Good.
  • I want to taste Nuetella.
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 10:33:42 PM »
Woo, i still remember my early teen life when i and (luckily) some friends use to role play as characters from naruto and actually made up the whole story and we did it for about 3 months straight until all of my other friends got bored, and i'm the only one left. That embarrasing part when I'm trying to get my friends to do naruto LARPing again, just to get funny looks from everyone in class...  :qq: :colonveeplusalpha:
And I still pretend I'm a samurai and swinging umbrella everywhere at my house (but i made sure I'm not found out by anyone) till I go to high school.
Even until now, my imagination still runs wild whenever I get bored..  :V
Guess my mind is still one of a child after all..
I'm just not showing it to anyone else, and act like normal people.

Accomplishment? Let's see :
EoSD normal 1cc (Marisa A). PCB normal 1cc (Sakuya A), EX clear. IN normal 1cc (Border Team), EX clear. MoF normal 1cc (Reimu A,B), EX clear (Reimu A). UFO normal 1cc (Reimu B). TD normal 1cc (Reimu and Marisa)

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 10:50:55 PM »
I feel this guy. So much.
And Rikka is so adorable oh my god I want to bring her home
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 12:48:45 AM »
Woo, i still remember my early teen life when i and (luckily) some friends use to role play as characters from naruto and actually made up the whole story and we did it for about 3 months straight until all of my other friends got bored, and i'm the only one left. That embarrasing part when I'm trying to get my friends to do naruto LARPing again, just to get funny looks from everyone in class...  :qq: :colonveeplusalpha:
And I still pretend I'm a samurai and swinging umbrella everywhere at my house (but i made sure I'm not found out by anyone) till I go to high school.
Even until now, my imagination still runs wild whenever I get bored..  :V
Guess my mind is still one of a child after all..
I'm just not showing it to anyone else, and act like normal people.

On the show wise, I think the best part of this episode is also how we are introduced to the characters, I cannot help but think everything here is paced just perfect.

Not on the show wise:
You are not alone on the samurai part, I sheath (note: close) my umbrella like a Iaijutsu master (quick drawing sword technique) to show my prowess... orz. This is seriously embarassing...
Spoiler:
> still play with my phone as though I am a member of the FAIZ (555) Kamen Rider... pretend to dial and then put it near my belt... making 'click' and 'lock' noises... oh god please bury me in a hole I wanna dieeeeeee adfasdhgajhsjfa

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 12:48:26 PM »
I was chuuni as fuck most of 9th and 10th grade.  I wrote terrible Daria fan fiction with a self-insert, a Gary Stu of the worst kind - only he (who somehow hailed from the same hometown as me) was not only laid-back and chill with Daria and Jane, he had a girlfriend (who was TOTALLY NOT A REFLECTION of Mara Jade), a whole shabang of spy gadgets, and a spaceplane (whose physical description was TOTALLY NOT A REFLECTION of the Missile Boat from the TIE Fighter PC game) with a hyperintelligent and overly helpful supercomputer (whose behavior was TOTALLY NOT A REFLECTION of the computer from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) and had replicators (which were TOTALLY NOT A RIPOFF of Star Trek). 

I was chuuni as fuck.  No, really, I was chuuni as fuck.

It was worse.  At one point my self-insert and the Daria cast went on a goddamn field trip to New York City where they MET AND INTERACTED WITH A SELF-INSERT OF ME AND MY FRIEND.  As in directly.  Who were in NYC coincidentally the same day.  In the Brooklyn neighborhood where the one guy sells old Soviet military medals.  To buy the same medal. 

My self-insert of myself began to then make meta-jokes about my gun-toting self-insert. 
CHUUNI.
AS.
FUCK.

Spoiler:
This anime is amazing

Edit: Jesus Christ they're still out there  :o
Edit 2: I'm going to make them a $9,001 raised goal for this year's charity drive!
Edit 3: removed some obvious clues, gotta keep it worth being charity raising
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:04:02 PM by Meiling's Jumpspeed Plotter »

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 11:33:17 PM »
In high school I was an immortal time mage that could summon meteors and shit. Now I'm a YuugenMagan eye that draws low-quality comics. You never know where life will take you!

Seriously though, this is a good anime. It examines a unique phase of your life in such a way that you can look back on it and laugh rather than trying to shun its memory.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:39:39 PM by Stuffman »

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 11:38:51 PM »
I forget what stupid shit I did in middle school but back in very early high school I was worried that The Matrix was real and that anyone around me could turn into an Agent at any moment. :ohdear:

Fortunately I'm far wiser now and at any rate if this reality is a computer program the admin doesn't need suit-and-tie ninja bots to make my life miserable. There's plenty of more mundane ways. :V

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 01:48:52 AM »
Are there any legit sites simulcasting this or anything?  Crunchyroll's usually my go-to for this sorta thing, but it isn't there, sadly.  Sounds pretty interesting from the tiny bits I know of it.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 03:55:17 AM »
Oh man that sister. Reminds me so much of my older sister. >.<
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

JT

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
  • I take many forms, and this won't be my last.
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 05:19:15 AM »
Wow. I'm impressed to see so many people who can genuinely relate to Chuunibyou; I'm glad I'm not the only one~ :)

As for the show itself, let me just summarize my opinion as concisely as possible: It's FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC--and it just becomes more so with each episode; I believe it very well has the potential to be the best show of the Fall season next to Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun~

Now, you can follow my art studio, KyokoPro Studios, on deviantART, Facebook, and YouTube~!

pineyappled

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 05:38:58 AM »
Today was the best neckbeard day.
Marvel Now launch+Arrow premier+Batman DotF start+chuunibyou-moe to top it all off. o/

Mootsies

• There is a reaction? Good.
  • I want to taste Nuetella.
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 05:52:28 AM »
Wow. I'm impressed to see so many people who can genuinely relate to Chuunibyou; I'm glad I'm not the only one~ :)
Agreed. And I am ever so glad that at my chuunibyou times, I have friends that wants to do it with me, so at least I have some close friends, and were not isolated.
And the show got more and more interesting, I can't help but watch it for a prolonged (20) times and still laugh every time  :3
Me at age 16: "Can't handle these chuunis, bitch"
You have a really nice costume and swords and things. In my chuunibyou ages, I have my imagination, plastic bags, sticks, water baloon and any other shit I can raze from the school's garden :V, not like it bothers me though, those are good times, although I can't handle those embarrassing times when people look at me funny *slams head to wall repeatedly*

Accomplishment? Let's see :
EoSD normal 1cc (Marisa A). PCB normal 1cc (Sakuya A), EX clear. IN normal 1cc (Border Team), EX clear. MoF normal 1cc (Reimu A,B), EX clear (Reimu A). UFO normal 1cc (Reimu B). TD normal 1cc (Reimu and Marisa)

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 07:15:54 AM »
http://i.imgur.com/sSKZw.jpg
Look at these 3 rows of 4 beakers, I wonder how many of them are there?
Let's count individually!

Multiplication.

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
  • I take many forms, and this won't be my last.
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 05:11:16 PM »
Me at age 16: "Can't handle these chuunis, bitch"
You have a really nice costume and swords and things.

I concur~! Honestly, you looked pretty awesome, man~

Now, you can follow my art studio, KyokoPro Studios, on deviantART, Facebook, and YouTube~!

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 09:31:10 PM »
THIS SHOW IS AMAZING. If it keeps this up it could easily wind up in my list of favorite animes ever.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 12:35:40 PM »
His classroom introduction was really cringe-inducing because I can relate. I had a very active fantasy life as a tween, mostly within the world of D&D (1ed 4 lyfe yo). I would bring my D&D books to school with me, draw my favorite OCs in class, and often evoked phrases or expressions only found in that world. Watching him stand up and proudly proclaim his role made me at once proud of him and embarrassed for him.
AAAAA
I brought my 1E Monster Manual to school one week and accidentally left it in class

Which is embarrassing because it's full of nudity.

When I realized it the teacher had found it and he and some others actually looked through it.

Thankfully it was all cool (they found the book entertaining, oddly). But MAN what could have been a disaster.

I used to play around of a sword that was actually just a thin metal pipe. I have a big backyard so I used it to slay plant monsters.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 12:37:45 PM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 02:51:21 PM »
I LARPed Vampire: the Masquerade in college.  We were running around our residence hall which was a converted old mansion at night doing rock-paper-scissors throws as part of the LARP rules while acting all vampirey.

It got worse... when I went to Australia for a semester, I joined up with a VtM LARP group that was part of the worldwide official White Wolf group, The Camarilla.  I was huge, huge into electronic music at the time and rolled  up a character who was a DJ.  I ended up legitimately purchasing zipoff rave/track/skate hybrid pants.  They were actually really comfortable and had lots of pockets, and they had two different zip-off lengths.  Longish, just hitting at the midcalf, and shortsish just at the knee, as well as regular old long pants.

I never wore all the Kingdom Heartsish buckles and zippers errywhere pants but these were some mighty goddamn chuuni pants. 

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 06:16:28 PM »
I can't really remember but when I was really hooked on Kamen Rider Black I used to call myself 'the chosen one' and refer to myself in third person. on any good day you will find me touching my stomach in a certain manner, teachers thought it was stomach pain or some shit, but it was actually part of the show's protag's curse, he has two stones from the sun or something inside him (sun stones lol does science work?). I would make a gripping motion even in class to signal my 'transformation' and sometimes my face tightens to a scary scowl. At this point the teacher thinks I am having the worse pain ever and everyone had at least once sent me to the nurse office worried I have to take a sick leave.... I was pretty much so chuuni that I and two geek friends who are also into this played around, switched roles as monsters and whenever I become the monster I tend to have all kinds of crazy abilities. (like transforming breath into spikes coated in fire or some shit)

the best was those day we would use the old discarded school desks and build them up, into 2 platforms, then get up and announce our killing move. 'RIDERRRRR KICCCCCCK' and jump down. (since real people don't fly a distance after jumping off high places, needless to say the monster had to be parked below me. this essentially is a true set up locker of hurt.)
also, episode 2 is outttttt why is onee-san so moe.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:19:31 PM by ♛ Siri »

R4

• This is where custom titles appear.
  • And this is where personal texts should appear.
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 11:24:31 PM »
Judging from all of your replies, being a chuunibyou seems to be a phase that everyone had experienced at least once.

I was one, too, but it was way too embarrassing to tell.

Also episode 2 is awesome

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 12:53:06 AM »
I LARPed Vampire: the Masquerade in college.

OK this is clearly an extended and serious chuuni.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

pineyappled

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 01:01:13 AM »
I never wore all the Kingdom Heartsish buckles and zippers errywhere pants but these were some mighty goddamn chuuni pants. 
Requesting picture of said mighty goddamn chuuni pants.

Jam-Kiske

• i am not witty
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 06:53:47 AM »
Sort of late to the party, but yeah this is great. Let me tell you the tales of my life since if you watch anime it's pretty likely you know the chuuni feel.

When we were really little, Jan and I used to like pretend to be fictional characters and create crazy crossover stories and stuff. I dunno how to really explain it. I guess that's kind of fine when you're that young though... middle school was really when I actually started to be interested in something, which of course happened to be the Japanese animes. When I finally made good friends in 7th grade, all the girls were a Sailor Scout so we all called each other by the names of the different Scouts. That's still not THAT lame I guess.

We moved when I was in 8th grade, and I met my current best friend on the first day at my new school because I decided to go full anime. I wrote something about Rurouni Kenshin in math class in some thing where we were supposed to write our own math problems in math class and we happened to trade papers so she was like: oh you like Rurouni Kenshin? THUS FRIENDSHIP. We went on to do glorious things like write self-insert fanfiction together that I still have, but can't share cuz she'll threaten to kill me. Alas, I was never awesome enough to do stuff like LARP though I did have a piece of metal a friend of mine made into a sword for me once as well as this shiny metal broomstick I named the "battosai stick" for some reason that I still had semi-recently.

I'm too sentimental to really ever get rid of things. Plus, I enjoy laughing at my old shitty fanfiction.

This is probably my favorite shitty lame me picture even though I'm not cool enough to have pictures of me with like fake weapons and shit.

I wish I could tell stories about Jan without worrying he might get mad at me, ah well there's nothing too ridiculous to tell at least.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 05:03:02 PM »
Nope.