Author Topic: Old series that are cool to watch even now?  (Read 23169 times)

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
Old series that are cool to watch even now?
« on: July 16, 2011, 08:52:08 PM »
Well I have encountered so far 2 Zatoichi and Journey to the West. Zatoichi is somewhat a series, much the movies started much earlier than the TV series.. so it counts as a whole..

But any more you could think of this kind? Maybe you watched them yourself and want to say what do you think about them? :P

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
Re: Old series that are cool to watch even now?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 11:28:17 PM »
I could watch Sailor Moon over and over again. That's the series that got me into anime. :3

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 11:50:32 PM »
Space Battleship Yamato - possibly the best anime series ever made.

More recently, Azumanga Daioh (though that hardly qualifies as "old").

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 12:11:20 AM »
Also not that old, but Outlaw Star.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 12:15:19 AM »
It's not an anime, but I'm watching Beast Wars and really enjoying it. The CG is really good for mid-to-late 90's, and the writing and characterization holds up really well.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 12:25:42 AM »

Thank you and good night.

...Seriously though, it's amazing how well BTAS has stood the test of time.  It was radical and daring for it's time, and even compared to the shows of nowadays it's pretty dark and mature for a kids show.  Hell, I think I've enjoyed it more watching it as an adult than I did as a child, as a lot of the stuff I was too young to really understand.

...Also it made Mr. Freeze awesome and spawned not one but two of my favourite female comics characters, The Joker's lovably peppy sidekick Harley Quinn (naturally) and the tough-as-nails lesbian (well, they never said outright on the show that she was one, but still!) cop Renee Montoya, one of the main characters of Gotham Central (my favourite Batman comic series despite the fact that the Bat himself hardly ever showed up in it) and more recently the successor to The Question (AKA that awesome faceless conspiracy nut from Justice League, which isn't as old but is still an awesome show).  Quite a legacy for what was supposedly a kids show, huh~?
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 01:08:49 AM »
Harvey Bullock for life.

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 01:21:24 AM »
On that note, Darkwing Duck. It's probably one of the most underrated cartoons, but it's awesome.

I would elaborate, but I have to leave. I'll edit this later, though.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 01:25:03 AM »
seconding BTAS so hard. there were a lot of good cartoons in the 90s though.

but beyond that for me shows like Ab Fab, Blackadder, The Young Ones - a lot of British comedy in general is still worth watching today. I find a lot of stuff from recent years just hasn't been quite as funny sadly.

Moerin

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 01:28:46 AM »
but beyond that for me shows like Ab Fab, Blackadder, The Young Ones - a lot of British comedy in general is still worth watching today. I find a lot of stuff from recent years just hasn't been quite as funny sadly.
Adding to this, Red Dwarf is what got me into science fiction in the first place.  I smeg you not.

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 01:30:02 AM »
G Gundam, for one. Plus Big O.

And for some reason I still like watching the (rather cheesy) 90's Spiderman show. :V

Tengukami

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 01:32:21 AM »
The Young Ones
!!!

Oh my god I can't believe someone else on this board likes The Young Ones.

"FOUR POUNDS FIFTY?! I'm not paying you money to eat black men! I can become a pig and do that for free! Right on!"

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Moerin

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 01:36:55 AM »
!!!

"LOOK OUT!  CLIIIIIIIIFF!"

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 01:38:57 AM »
How old are we talking here?  Young people these days have really screwed up perceptions of what's "old".  Are we talking Sopranos old?  Spawn old?  Doug old?  Jem old?  Starsky and Hutch old?  Mission Impossible old?  The Prisoner old?  Have Gun Will Travel old?

Tengukami

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 01:41:08 AM »
I once saw Rik Mayall on David Letterman promoting Drop Dead Fred (the less said about that movie the better), and Letterman said, "So, I heard you used to be in a series called The Young Ones". A bunch of people in the audience cheered, and Rik looked utterly baffled. "I ... had no idea anyone outside the UK even heard of that show," he said.

Little did Rik know that MTV used to run The Young Ones, late at night, in the 80s. That's how I first learned about them, anyway. I'm proud to own the entire series now. Definitely some of the best British comedy has had to offer.

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 01:44:56 AM »
Adding to this, Red Dwarf is what got me into science fiction in the first place.  I smeg you not.
omg yes so much. I've watched Red Dwarf so many times I know half the scripts by heart and yet it is still funny to me. comedy like that just doesn't age.

!!!

"FOUR POUNDS FIFTY?! I'm not paying you money to eat black men! I can become a pig and do that for free! Right on!"
fdhsdsjds it's so rare I'll find somebody else who is a fan ;A; but then again I don't really know how popular British comedy is in the rest of the world.

Moerin

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 01:47:13 AM »
fdhsdsjds it's so rare I'll find somebody else who is a fan ;A; but then again I don't really know how popular British comedy is in the rest of the world.
Unfortunately, I've found that to most of the rest of the world, "British Comedy" means "Benny Hill".

...Y'know, when it's not Monty Python, which at least has the decency to actually be, y'know, good. >.>

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥

Tengukami

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 01:50:21 AM »

The Young Ones is obscure outside of the UK. As someone born and raised in the US, I can attest that British comedy shows most Americans my age know about include:

Monty Python's Flying Circus
Black Adder
Little Britain
Are You Being Served?
All Creatures Great and Small
and yes, Benny Hill

Hope that's of some comfort.

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 02:01:23 AM »
ugh Benny Hill was chronically unfunny.

it is of some small comfort to know that some of our better stuff gets known abroad but when I think about how much good comedy I grew up watching I realise how obscure most of it is ): I don't know maybe the rest of the world doesn't get our sense of humour.

can't believe I forgot to mention this but Laurel and Hardy.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 02:02:07 AM »
On that note, Darkwing Duck. It's probably one of the most underrated cartoons, but it's awesome.
How many shows include, in the first episode, the line "Clever of me to break my fall with my spine like that!"?  Classic, fantastic cartoons, and a longstanding old favorite of mine.  Also featured one of the best openings, if only for the umbrella snap part.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Tengukami

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 02:13:16 AM »
ugh Benny Hill was chronically unfunny.

I agree. But then, he came from a vaudeville tradition of physical comedy, bawdy musical numbers, and boob jokes. I'm sure his material was hilarious to those who still had food ration coupons in their kitchen cupboard. Fun fact: he died while watching TeleText.

Also forgot to include on the list of British comedy shows most Americans my age know about: The Office, Catherine Tate, Smack the Pony, and The Fast Show.

Also:

I don't know maybe the rest of the world doesn't get our sense of humour.

On the contrary, I think many Americans believe the British do great comedy. Evidence for this is provided in the following joke:

"In Heaven, the Germans handle the engineering, the French handle the cooking, and the British handle the comedy. In Hell, the French handle the engineering, the British handle the cooking, and the Germans handle the comedy."
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 02:26:09 AM by Tengukami »

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011, 02:28:30 AM »
Also forgot to include on the list of British comedy shows most Americans my age know about: The Office and The Fast Show.
oh oh my god The Fast Show yes. I loved Harry Enfield's Television Programme too. my parents nicknamed me Frogmella and my sister Spudulike when we were little.

I'm sad about what happened to The Office.

also there is nothing wrong with our food :p

Tengukami

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2011, 02:30:15 AM »
How about Brass Eye, or Broken News?

Christ, Britain has done a lot of comedy ...

also there is nothing wrong with our food :p

MORE KIDNEY PIE?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 02:31:48 AM by Tengukami »

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2011, 02:40:12 AM »
How about Brass Eye, or Broken News?

Christ, Britain has done a lot of comedy ...

MORE KIDNEY PIE?
gags I hate kidney pie.

Brass Eye was a bit beyond me when it first aired, I was only 9 at the time. I do remember everybody being butthurt about it though. I never watched Broken News though. only comedy show I watched that year was In The Thick of it which I really recommend.

Moerin

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2011, 02:43:22 AM »
...Did I hear some Brass Eye~?

And the fallout from that special only went on to prove how hypocritical and stupid tabloid journalism was. >.>

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥

Tengukami

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2011, 02:53:07 AM »
Broken News might be more funny to me because it's job related. Brass Eye was genuinely funny, and they were both very brave and very right to mock and ridicule the Pedophile Hysteria that was gripping the UK at the time. It made a lot of people really angry, but looking back, it was well deserved.

...Did I hear some Brass Eye~?

"There's no evidence for it, but it is scientific fact."

God I loved that show.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 02:55:01 AM by Tengukami »

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2011, 03:43:49 AM »
I was just hooked on Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It's a space opera (duh) anime that started around 1988 I think. The events are enough to suck you in as it is, but the space battles really start to emphasize perceptive and thoughtful tactics after the start, too. Besides, without giving away too much, there is a Death Star vs. Death Star type battle. Why WOULDN'T you want to watch that?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 03:55:34 AM by Reddyne »

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2011, 10:06:03 AM »
I'll second this. I grew up with this and would sell a couple organs to see it again.

Releated to this are the other, old Disney cartoons like Talespin, Rescue Rangers, and Goof Troop. There's also Eek the Cat for me, being I usually couldn't catch it that often when it was airing on Fox Kids.

Also Flint the Time Detective.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2011, 10:14:07 AM »
I'll second this. I grew up with this and would sell a couple organs to see it again.

Releated to this are the other, old Disney cartoons like Talespin, Rescue Rangers, and Goof Troop.
This man knows what's what.

Also Flint the Time Detective.
I need more occasions to link this.
The show was stupid, but in the best possible way~
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2011, 11:05:43 AM »
I feel I should nth Darkwing Duck. It was a significant portion of my Elementary-schoolhood!

Also, given my avatar, I think I oughta recommend Twin Peaks as well. It is a surrealist/supernatural soap opera cleverly disguised as a murder mystery.