Author Topic: Touhou Project 16.5 「Secret Sealing Nightmare Diary ~ Violet Detector」  (Read 107431 times)

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
Some of the music was alright but its definitely the first time I've not been wowed by a 2hu ost upon release.
Btw the game is also extremely buggy.
Spoiler:
As well as teleport being a stupidly finicky thing to do, I've had instances of snapping a photo of a boss where a scene should then end, but  instead of playing the finished scene animation everything on the field except my player disappears and I can still snap photos. Effectively this means that the scene is not cleared but I can't do anything but exit out. There's also reports that pressing Bomb + a direction on the Nickname screen crashes the game. I've also heard many second hand accounts of players having their game crash just from taking photos of bosses and such. Oh, and you can't press R to retry from the pause menu either, because it just unpauses the scene and keeps the menu text on screen too. You have to manually select it and press Z to restart a scene.

Spoiler:
Not to mention some horrible mechanical design problems that really are just sloppy when we've had better. Teleporting has such an awkward key sequence to activate, it's literally 3 entire inputs just to TP in a game where some scene expect you to do it precisely insanely fast (looking at you WFriday 5). On top of that, lack of switchable camera mode is a sad thing after we were spoiled by DS. And the fact that Super Charge doesn't keep you at slow speed even when you're at 100% and instead just makes you go fast again at 100% seems like a complete oversight and lazy implementation of the same mechanic in DS too. On top of the lazy implementation of the Nightmare week gimmick, I really think ZUN dropped the ball hard with this one...

Spoiler:
On the game front there were just so many awful choices imo and I really sincerely think ZUN should've waited and worked on this more.

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
So I got to watch someone doing a full (wow) playthrough of the game and, I must say, there is a lot of stuff to unpack.

The game's got some of the bits and bobs that made the older photo games and ISC distinctive, although I wouldn't say it exceeds them in what they do best : regarding the  "scenes"'s in general, the difficulty seems quite wonky : there seems to be hard attacks mixed with not-quite-as-hard ones on the
Spoiler:
"normal"
weekdays ; and the difficulty doesn't seem to scale like in the photo games : most attacks essentially seem to stay the same regardless the remaining lifebar to go through ; and you get to see
Spoiler:
familiar spell cards that seem to hail from different difficulty levels : Narumi's pet bullet golem, for example, is essentially the same as how it is in HSiFS NORMAL mode, save for the part that it pauses a bit when you take a picture of it, while Okina's spells in general seems to be substantially harder versions of her spells from extra and the HARD mode (correct me if I got it wrong) version of her Halo spellcard. Some attacks can be dealt with through pure twitch dodging, some others like Okina's requires very high IQ and a good execution when it comes to using your abilities.

The gimmicks this game's got are nowhere near numerous and usefull as ISC's cheat items, but are instead something that is best described as more ... situational ? 
Spoiler:
The teleportation is pretty much essential for attacks that involve complete walls, which are not every attack ; and for the death cancel, while it gives you some reassurance, you can just as well take a picture instead of tanking random bullets.
Excluding the ability to take pictures and the fact that taking a picture deals a fair deal of damage, the gimmicks doesn't seem to be on the abusable side. However, considering that
Spoiler:
you need to double tap shift then pick a direction in order to use teleport, things could prove to be either confusing or inconvenient :
personally, when I first played a photo game, I had a LOT of trouble adjusting to the way to play them, namely the way you charge up and take pictures. Having to get used to stuff that involves holding a button that you'd ever press only in emergencies or RELEASING that one comfortable button you'd be pressing the longest time while playing Touhou games can be confusing, and add to that having to think about
Spoiler:
teleporting ...
ZUN should really consider relying a bit more on the C button or something, that'd make things more convenient.

Regarding the
Spoiler:
nightmare weekdays, they're essentially about 4 girls, each with their own defining patterns, who'll fight you in a team of 2, essentially meaning that you get a certain someone's pattern mixed up with another ones. The creativity here can be ... debatable. I personally like the earlier individual attacks better tbh.

Plenty of stuff that ZUN reused, which I honestly I'm okay with, considering the fact that the way you approach these are obviously gonna be fairly different than how you would if they were in a normal Touhou game,
Spoiler:
case in point, fighting Okina without rear shots
. Heck, some spells seems to have been remastered a bit even,
Spoiler:
like Sagume's meatshield machinegun spellcard, which seems to have gotten the safespot dealt with
. A bit bummed that
Spoiler:
the newhus from the new gen fighting games didn't get in tho.
That would have been cool. I also find kinda funny the fact that you get some of the
Spoiler:
newest character sprites being there together with the VERY OLD ones. I bet one of the lesser reasons why ZUN gave Okina some of dialogue is because he couldn't be assed to give Yukari a modern portrait. You KNOW this to be true.

Music is cool as always, these ain't the kind of super loud, energy filled themes that might tire you out after a while. I'm not expecting something like the Gensokyo gods loved or Last remote in a decimal game, and these seems to set the mood. It's obviously gonna take some time to get used to these new themes, but I really like, and this is unusual, the title screen theme. Weekdays themes might sound good too if I properly take a listen without the constant charging up, bullet spawning and death noises.

I also like the fact that you'll need to finish pretty much EVERYTHING in order to have proper access to the stuff at the very, VERY end, instead of having to fill up a quota of scenes. Seems to make thing sort of rewarding or something ? Like when you unlock extra stage in normal games maybe.
Spoiler:
The safespot for the first phase of the very last scene is kinda uhhh, tho

Difficulty wise, from a cursory look, I'd say it's probably between normal and hard. There are some hard stuff, but the difficulty doesn't seem to be consistant nor slowly ramping up as you progress. At least that's my impression of it. I think the wonky difficulty, the reuse of stuff you might have already seen,
Spoiler:
the nightmare weekdays spell designs
,and the controls of questionable convenience will probably be what will get this game some criticism.

I'll still be looking forward to the Steam release anyway, and hope to see whatever bugs may be get dealt with before the release. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, it's got content, it's got challenge. I can see why people would have some reservations, but as a filthy casual who is fine with the not-super-hardcore stuff and came with no particular expectation, I think I'm cool with this.

Also ... speaking of Steam release ... this is certainly NOT the kind of game where you intuitively figure out the controls, so, if it stays purely in japanese then, uhhh ...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 12:27:10 AM by Suspicious person »

Not gonna lie, the final day is so much easier than the nightmare days. Is there anything beyond the nightmare diary? I think shoot the bullet had a level unlocked based on score.

As far as the game goes, i liked it. I thought the teleportation mechanic, as clunky the keybind was, was pretty interesting. I liked nightmare friday 3 for exemple which has you teleport everywheer to avoid the unavoidable rings.

I kinda wish this game was like impossible spellcard, as in you can beat the spellcards without the use of gimmicks, but some are literaly unbeatable without teleportation or camera
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 12:04:28 AM by Drayen »

ChronaSE

• Doremy-rekt
I usually love the challenge of Touhou photo games, but this one was just getting a few shots and you're done so...
Getting used to the gimmick was certainly challenging, having to stay still to use it was annoying so im glad it was only situational.

Old sprites seriously need an update though, I get it's a rather short game with a few spellcards per character but...
Spoiler:
IN Reimu, EosD Flandre and Remilia  :V that's like a decade ago

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Yeah it's kinda like a fusion between the photo games and ISC. At least here there's no ambiguity regarding how you're supposed to play, so I can more easily accept not having a "no-items" challenge to go for.

Overall, I'd call this game good but not great. The previous photo games weren't really something I had enough fun with to stick with after clearing everything the first time, and VD, being in much the same style at its core, is no exception, beyond me setting up more replays for an eventual Youtube video. Only a couple attack types really drove me up a wall at any point, but since they were near the end, that was to be expected. The game balance in general actually seems pretty all right, running the gamut from Easy to Lunatic like in the other photo games, so there's still that element of having extra scenes to shoot for (no pun intended) as you get better. Regarding
Spoiler:
the bosses' patterns on the Nightmare week being recycled over and over but in different combinations
, I can understand where others are coming from if they think it's lazy design, but I think it only feels that way on the surface -
Spoiler:
the different combinations end up making you play them all differently too
, which imo makes up for it by keeping them fresh. And I don't really have a problem with
Spoiler:
said patterns frequently being based on stuff the bosses used in previous games
. This is a side game, after all, and it's not unprecedented.

It's been like 6 or 7 years since I've played a photo game, so I had to get used to the controls again as I went. Not helped by me choosing to map the camera to 2 (my bomb button in other games), something completely different from what I did back then. The teleport mechanic is all right, but I probably would've made it so you only needed to tap the arrow keys to activate it, rather than holding them down for a brief period of time - in the heat of battle, it's surprisingly easy to just quickly tap every button you're using as your attention is shifting from one thing to the next, so I think that change could've been a big help. Other than that, my only major gripe is that
Spoiler:
Ran is used on Nightmare Wednesday instead of Orin
, which makes absolutely no sense to me lol.

While I don't outright dislike any of the new music tracks, I also felt the music was kinda unremarkable. Having Lunatic Dreamer and Nightmare Diary play on so many stages didn't really help, as they didn't stick out to me right away anyway. The only track I really like so far is the title theme, Diary of Nightmares - it sounds kinda like a cross between Tengu's Notebook and No More Going Through Doors, giving it a very cool tone. I'd actually put it up there with my favorite title themes in the entire series.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

ChronaSE

• Doremy-rekt
Spoiler:
Junko's day
is where I truly hated the teleport gimmick, wish it could have been like ISC ying-yang teleport instead of the very uncomfortable double tapping  :V

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
Regarding
Spoiler:
the bosses' patterns on the Nightmare week being recycled over and over but in different combinations
, I can understand where others are coming from if they think it's lazy design, but I think it only feels that way on the surface -
Spoiler:
the different combinations end up making you play them all differently too
, which imo makes up for it by keeping them fresh.
Spoiler:
A big portion of what makes me personally criticise this decision is that it's not really that well balanced. Some combinations end up being laughably easy, while you have combinations that end up insane (Byakuren and Flan was a very weird combination, Mamizou also made a lot of her scenes much harder than necessary, especially with Raiko). More tweaking should have been done to account for how the patterns would interact with each other, for the most part the only day that received notable tweaks between different duos was the day with Tenshi, Kaguya, Shinmyoumaru and Eirin. There were definitely bright spots in this week (Shinmyoumaru and Eiki had interesting bullet interactions with the others) but overall more needed to be done to make things a bit more individual and balanced.

I feel like this game is one big experiment. A good experiment either way, but obviously not a very polished one.

CyberAngel

• Retired
The teleport mechanic is all right, but I probably would've made it so you only needed to tap the arrow keys to activate it, rather than holding them down for a brief period of time

rip diagonal teleports

Anyway, checked out the story translation. The main twist is pretty nice, but the thing in the last scene is just awesome. I really love moves like that.

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
Something I just noticed...

Other than DDC and ISC, all the Windows Era 3 games so far has had something to do with the Urban Legends Incident...
ULiL: Started it all with Sagume secretly giving the Lunar Capital Occult Orb to Sumireko. Then Sumi uses the full set of Occult Orbs to enter Gensokyo.
LoLK: Omake reveals that Sagume is indirectly responsible for the events of ULiL. Ending spoiler:
Spoiler:
Yukari basically confiscates the Occult Orb that Marisa is researching on in her good ending...
AoCF: The Yorigami sisters morphs the Urban Legends Incident into the Perfect Possession Incident, indirectly leading to Sumireko's Doppleganger occult.
Spoiler:
The Catfish from Meiling's Hisoutensoku story
is spotted in the Yorigami sisters' story, implying
Spoiler:
he
had a role in it as well.
HSiFS: While nothing in the game or its omake references the Urban Legends/ Perfect Possession Incidents, Okina and the Backup Dancers' unexpected appearance in VD kind of implies that Okina might be aware of Sumireko and her Doppleganger condition...
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

Spoiler:
Did ZUN forgot about the Ten Desires crew? Looked at the wiki and only Toyosatomimi no Miko was there.

CyberAngel

• Retired
Spoiler:
Did ZUN forgot about the Ten Desires crew? Looked at the wiki and only Toyosatomimi no Miko was there.

They have already been sufficiently represented in Impossible Spell Card.
Spoiler:
So was the DDC crowd. So it makes sense that only the latest game characters have substantial presence.

PK

• Border of Whatever
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
There's Mamizou too. PoFV on the other hand only had Eiki.

CyberAngel

• Retired
Spoiler:
All games up to 14, fighters included, are represented by final and extra bosses (where applicable) in the Nightmare week. Satori and Iku are the only ones outside that rule. Makes sense, really.

Yet again, people are hating on the newest game simply because it's New.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
Are you putting those who bash and those who actually give legitimate criticism into the same bucket again?
Because I feel addressed by this since I'm rather critical about the release this time.
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK Legacy, HSiFS, WBaWC
Hard 1cc: IN, DDC, HSiFS
Extra clears: MoF, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC

Goals: Going Extra Hard!

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~

Cuphead speedrun strats

Spoiler:
That last white ball isn't a bullet, but her soul ascending to inchling heaven.

Are you putting those who bash and those who actually give legitimate criticism into the same bucket again?
Because I feel addressed by this since I'm rather critical about the release this time.

He does have a point. I snooped around in a few discords and so far the reputation of this game went from "shit" to "good/ok"

Drake

For people who are having trouble teleporting, here are some of the technical aspects about it.

- The longest valid interval between the two focus inputs is 15 frames. That is, once you press focus input 1, you have 15 frames to let go and then hit focus input 2.
- You can tap each focus input for as short as 1 frame.
- The shortest interval I could get was 2 empty frames between the inputs, but it seems reasonable that as long as there's one frame between it works.
- If you're moving when you hit the second focus, the teleport won't activate. This makes sense to avoid teleporting by accident, but this also means you need at least 1 frame of focus before the direction input. If you're stationary and tap focus then focus+direction on the same frame you move instead of teleport.
- However, if you press and hold the second focus when moving but stop moving before the 15 frames are up, the teleport will still activate as soon as you stop. It just won't activate the frame you had hit focus.
- Moving during the first focus is fine, so if you're moving, tap focus, then stop moving and hit focus on the same frame, that's a teleport. Or, if you double tap and hold focus while moving, but stop moving before 15 frames are up, that's a teleport too.

- In summary of the above: once you hit focus once, for 15 frames it first checks if you've let go of focus, then checks if you're pressing focus and not a direction. If so, activate teleport.
- Once you activate the teleport with double focus you can let go of focus before pressing a direction.
- You must hold the direction for 5 frames, and you are repositioned on frame 5. If you hold for 4 frames you do not teleport. You can mash away and nothing happens.

I think the last bit is the most important, or at least it's the one screwing me up the most. My expectation is that it should just happen the instant you press the button but whoops guess not.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:47:33 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
He does have a point. I snooped around in a few discords and so far the reputation of this game went from "shit" to "good/ok"
That's probably because it didn't live up to the hype at all but because it's ZUN made ZUN's level of bad work is still fairly good at it's worst. Doesn't mean this game does not have legitimate criticisms about it, doesn't mean this game is particularly enjoyable long term. I don't see myself personally returning to this for a while.

I just hate throwing away criticisms because "its just hating on the new game" especially when a lot of ppl like myself have had nothing but good things to say about previous games upon release. HSiFS was amazing upon release, heck I loved LoLK upon release too. AoCF got the same treatment as VD because by and large it felt like an unfinished experience upon release because of glaring bugs and not fully fleshed out mechanics. These criticisms aren't undeserved and aren't because it's new. I will still be saying these things months from now, maybe not with the same level of conviction as while it's still fresh in my mind but I don't see my opinion changing drastically at all.

Fumi

• Dragon of Seven Colors
  • Disaster in Takamagahara

Lurker unlurks to comment on this.

I have loved the newest Touhou games since TD, they all have been good honestly and I don't think any of them is bad, each had their charm and mechanic (heck even TD is one of my faves) and I really like the photo games.

But honestly, this one has a lot of flaws, it is not the best game, it is not bad, but I can say it is good, you can enjoy it if you don't compare it to other games, as it is, honestly its just ok but not exactly bad.

The teleport, the reused patterns and some of the patterns feeling a bit lazy, I will just say ZUN got lazy, too lazy or maybe rushed the game, come on,
Spoiler:
the fighting game girls missing, the weird teleport, and the music, title theme + 3 new stages music when it's usually 4, on top of reusing Okina's theme for the final stage instead of using Sumireko's theme, heck Yukari being on the story would make more sense too
, the nicknames and ISC menu, not being able to pick up a favorite photo (and locking your own photos) and the weird behavior of the 100% ultra focused charge movement.

I feel like I shouldnt have expected anything big from a photo game, I usually don't and that's why they end up being my favorites but on this one I actually kinda expected a lot of stuff because it was somewhat of a "new" experience considering we havent saw a photo game since 2011 and I got slightly disappointed, the game feels mostly rushed.

But again, it's good, for a spin off it is pretty decent and enjoyable.

For people who are having trouble
Spoiler:
teleporting, here are some of the technical aspects about it.

- The longest valid interval between the two focus inputs is 15 frames. That is, once you press focus input 1, you have 15 frames to let go and then hit focus input 2.
- You can tap each focus input for as short as 1 frame.
- The shortest interval I could get was 2 empty frames between the inputs, but it seems reasonable that as long as there's one frame between it works.
- If you're moving when you hit the second focus, the teleport won't activate. This makes sense to avoid teleporting by accident, but this also means you need at least 1 frame of focus before the direction input. If you're stationary and tap focus then focus+direction on the same frame you move instead of teleport.
- However, if you press and hold the second focus when moving but stop moving before the 15 frames are up, the teleport will still activate as soon as you stop. It just won't activate the frame you had hit focus.
- Moving during the first focus is fine, so if you're moving, tap focus, then stop moving and hit focus on the same frame, that's a teleport. Or, if you double tap and hold focus while moving, but stop moving before 15 frames are up, that's a teleport too.

- In summary of the above: once you hit focus once, for 15 frames it first checks if you've let go of focus, then checks if you're pressing focus and not a direction. If so, activate teleport.
- Once you activate the teleport with double focus you can let go of focus before pressing a direction.
- You must hold the direction for 5 frames, and you are repositioned on frame 5. If you hold for 4 frames you do not teleport. You can mash away and nothing happens.

I think the last bit is the most important, or at least it's the one screwing me up the most. My expectation is that it should just happen the instant you press the button but whoops guess not.

Yeah, this is what screwed me over the most and killed me a bunch.

Huh, I just realized I haven't changed my icon in years and now it's kinda fitting.
Spoiler:
This game is... really weird. I kind of liked it more and more it went on but it's also gotten a lot more frustrating the further I went in. Also not that wowed by the music. The overall aesthetic and idea is pretty neat though, especially the later scenes. Just... overall kinda weird and I don't see much replayability value once I finish it? That's all, really. Usually Touhou is a game I can return to, and with ISC you at least had no-items and what not. But here there's... not really much. That's the part that's holding me up right now. It seems neat overall, just not something I'd play several times. Once and it's done. But I guess that's just how photo games go!

The Instagram-like pictures in the background of the main menu seem to be the first-ever digital photographs of Gensokyo. From thpatch.net (warning, link contains spoilers):

Spoiler:
Does anyone know what the actual real-world sources of these photos are?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 05:49:00 AM by shockdude »
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Gotta admit, at first I was worried with the negative reception but after playing the game for a bit, I still find it very much enjoyable. Even if Sumireko is one of my least favorite characters. I get the critique, though.

Spoiler:
The teleporting is interesting but hard to pull off if you are in a pinch. Double tapping is awkward and I would have liked to get the option to bind it to a single press.
I have yet to play the nightmare stages, so I can't really comment on the "fairness" in the difficulty. Haven't really spent much time with the Touhou games recently so my skills got inconsistent again. (Clownpiece and Junko all over again  :V)
But being able to shoot, photo bullets away and teleportation, the game shouldn't be to hard to beat.

My impression is a positive one. It was to be expected to be light on content with the timeframe it was released.

That's probably because it didn't live up to the hype at all but because it's ZUN made ZUN's level of bad work is still fairly good at it's worst. Doesn't mean this game does not have legitimate criticisms about it, doesn't mean this game is particularly enjoyable long term. I don't see myself personally returning to this for a while.

I just hate throwing away criticisms because "its just hating on the new game" especially when a lot of ppl like myself have had nothing but good things to say about previous games upon release. HSiFS was amazing upon release, heck I loved LoLK upon release too. AoCF got the same treatment as VD because by and large it felt like an unfinished experience upon release because of glaring bugs and not fully fleshed out mechanics. These criticisms aren't undeserved and aren't because it's new. I will still be saying these things months from now, maybe not with the same level of conviction as while it's still fresh in my mind but I don't see my opinion changing drastically at all.

It's not exactly throwing away criticism; It's saying that a negative bias at the release of a game is to be expected, and thus to be taken with a grain of salt. Also really, AoCF? Unfinished at release with garbo mechanics? Maybe in single player but the Multiplayer mechanics and balancing were top notch.

I personally believe the game to be decent. Not amazing. Decent. And if they are going to throw this at us for the price of 8? (Given it costed 1000Yen), that's pretty fair.

And in all honesty VD would be a massively better game if we would get a patch that would change the teleport input simply to C.

MUASTG has made a MOD for a better teleport feeling.

https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,21537.0.html

CyberAngel

• Retired

From my very basic experience of making game-like things, properly registering a diagonal "direction" on a 4-way d-pad-like control setup (aka cursor keys) is a bitch without a hack like that. And even in this case people are finding it hard to use, from what I've seen.

MUASTG has made a MOD for a better teleport feeling.

https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,21537.0.html

Wow. It's unreal how much easier this makes it. Now why couldn't we have this in the normal game...?

Ow I can finally access MoTK, still no clue what's with that, but okay.

And yeah, my overall reception of this game is alright. I wasn't expecting anything tbh and I did like the story
Spoiler:
However I do wholeheartedly the teleport controls were so bad I had to literally buy a new keyboard just to finish a Touhou game. Shame I didn't see the mod thread beforehand because that would've saved me a bit I guess? At first I was disappointed with the OST, but I actually like the way ZUN reuses his 4 previous songs - Old Adam for tutorials, Swallowstone for Sumireko fight, Eternal Spring Dream for Doremy and Concealed Seasons for Okina "cya later" scene.

I agree, the game isn't that much, but it's still more than I was expecting and if you think this truly is the worst Touhou game... please replay some of them.
I do agree this game has some serious issues. But again, I was literally expecting the game to end on Okina day before the Nightmare week and maybe it's because I've treated that part like an after game I've enjoyed it more? Idk
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 11:10:39 AM by Popcioslav »
No.