Author Topic: [Minecraft] MotK Minecraft Server (PREPARE FOR WORLD MOVE!)  (Read 288631 times)

Re: [Minecraft] MotK Minecraft Server (FIXED)
« Reply #870 on: September 03, 2011, 01:02:24 PM »
Here was some oddness that Strafe found while group mining.
Yeah, grass at that layer. (there was another to the left, but it's gone now and we don't know who may have accidentally hit it)
Grass at layer 12, baby. It was right next to a large lava pool and some diamond!

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #871 on: September 03, 2011, 02:21:06 PM »
dynmap, SheepFeed, DeathNotifier enabled again.

I have currently disabled Phoenix Terrain Mod, because that's the only other thing that we haven't already been using since we started. The current world is unaffected by turning it off, but if you generate new chunks then you will get a sharp transition into a vanilla landmass.

If this fixes the problem it means PTM Bukkit is unstable and we might need to switch back to vanilla.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #872 on: September 03, 2011, 02:30:22 PM »
dynmap, SheepFeed, DeathNotifier enabled again.

I have currently disabled Phoenix Terrain Mod, because that's the only other thing that we haven't already been using since we started. The current world is unaffected by turning it off, but if you generate new chunks then you will get a sharp transition into a vanilla landmass.
I think PTM may be a good reason, possibly requiring lots of memory to generate terrain and having lots of blank commands to eat it up.

That will make for a VERY interesting transition.

If this fixes the problem it means PTM Bukkit is unstable and we might need to switch back to vanilla.
I think the novelty of the floating islands has passed, so this may even be welcomed now. But I'd wait until 1.8 for this.

Speaking of terrain, Dorakyura has discovered a new continent to the east which as vanilla terrain. This led to an idea, considering Stuffman was noting the boring aspect of 'same terrain all over'.

How about periodically turning off and on / adjusting PTM with various settings (such as regional setting) in order to keep the terrain varied and fresh? Since we're still trying to see if PTM is at fault for the crashes we're considering the on/off idea ATM, but either way this can alleviate the very major 'boring terrain' problem.
I doubt, however, that Stuffman and Strafe will adjust it for individual users' requests, but instead will assign it globally as needed.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 03:38:00 PM by SD50 Rainbow Synthesisis »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #873 on: September 03, 2011, 04:03:05 PM »
The only issue I have with it is the sudden terrain transitions are really jarring and ugly.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #874 on: September 03, 2011, 04:23:52 PM »
The only issue I have with it is the sudden terrain transitions are really jarring and ugly.
That is one point to consider. There are four solutions to this that I'm aware of:
 - Leave it be. No extra work needed but the transitions are very sharp.
 - Let users terraform themselves. This caters to their own interests but also places a lot of work onto them.
 - Have the Ops WE areas by request. Possibly unwieldly and involves Op availability and willingness.
 - More frequent adjustment of PTM to allow for transitional zones. It would take too much experimenting and configuration changes to be effective, though.

I'm in favour of #2, personally.

EDIT: Going by livefeed it also seems to have affected Nether terrain generation.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 04:28:11 PM by SD50 Rainbow Synthesisis »
Bad command or file name

« Reply #875 on: September 03, 2011, 05:04:01 PM »
EDIT: Going by livefeed it also seems to have affected Nether terrain generation.

Yes it's strange, there is a HUGE wall behind my "new" Netherportal (Connected to the new continent)

It seems that I crashed the server. I flamed some Netheracks on the new continent and then used the /spawn command,

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #876 on: September 03, 2011, 05:05:30 PM »
Yes it's strange, there is a HUGE wall behind my "new" Netherportal (Connected to the new continent)

It seems that I crashed the server. I flamed some Netheracks on the new continent and then used the /spawn command,
I believe it's due to the fact we disabled PTM. Server seems to be running fine, though.
Yep, we seem to be down. Again.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:15:00 PM by SD50 Rainbow Synthesisis »
Bad command or file name

« Reply #877 on: September 03, 2011, 08:09:14 PM »

That's fine by me. However, I fear that we would probably need to generate a full vanilla world to have a more accurate test on PTM. We were already going to hit this conflict once 1.8 hits, depending on its vanilla terrain generation. I'll make one more world backup right now just in case we need to go that route.

Completely understandable. We can either leave it be, or use WE to terraform the edges, as EP noted. We can also see about deleting the new vanilla chunks and regenerating them once PTM is reinstated. After we rule out that PTM is not at fault.

Looking at Provision Hosts' page, I noticed this:
Quote from: Provision Host tweet
03/09/2011 10:25 - @dmacrye It is the new and innovative control panel we have been working on to manage your Minecraft server. Looking to release it very soon
This could be a promising development if MCMA was the true culprit after all. It gives me reason to believe that others are experiencing the same problems as us. While I'm not thrilled about losing MCMA, having a stable server is more important to me. We shall see.

As for right now, the server log is still experiencing a massive error spam. I've closed the session to see if that will halt the spam. Once it subsides, I'll reinstate the server if I can.

BlackSparda

• Reimu Hakurei empress through gods grace
  • Peace through osaisen!
« Reply #878 on: September 03, 2011, 08:25:13 PM »
strafe is it ok when i build the great wall around your pagode?

« Reply #879 on: September 03, 2011, 08:46:08 PM »
Server is back online again. I've cleared out the server log again, since it got near 40MB just in the last few hours. I have some errands to run for a bit, so I'll check in later.

strafe is it ok when i build the great wall around your pagode?
It depends on how close to the Pagoda you want to build the wall. I still need to finish designing the base of the structure. Truth be told, I like having a scenic view .... so I don't think I want a wall surrounding it. Also, SSkye is building in the little lake off to the side, I fear that your wall would cut them off.

BlackSparda

• Peace through osaisen!
« Reply #880 on: September 03, 2011, 09:03:43 PM »
Server is back online again. I've cleared out the server log again, since it got near 40MB just in the last few hours. I have some errands to run for a bit, so I'll check in later.
It depends on how close to the Pagoda you want to build the wall. I still need to finish designing the base of the structure. Truth be told, I like having a scenic view .... so I don't think I want a wall surrounding it. Also, SSkye is building in the little lake off to the side, I fear that your wall would cut them off.
did you mean the lake above your pagode?(i will not build in sskyes building area )
and i dont want to take your scenic view  when you look on the map you can see the begin of the second wall left from your pagode when it is okay for you i will start from here. i will not build closer to your pagode but when its to near or it take also a bit of the scenic view i can destroy the part and build it farther away

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #881 on: September 03, 2011, 09:33:59 PM »
Welp.

We need a solution here. All other plugins are ones I consider necessary to operation, we can't get rid of them. They are all also plugins that are widely in use and I can't understand why they would have conflicts with each other, or with MCMA. If MCMA is being used by every private server at private server companies, why isn't everyone having these problems? It's some sort of problem with our setup. Personally, I'm wondering if our world is corrupted in some way.

What do you guys propose as a solution? (Having more admins to reboot the server is not a solution.) I'm prepared to start (yet another) new world, though perhaps we can organize a way to send your inventory with you (i.e. make a schematic of a bunch of your chests and paste them in).

Magical Girl Satori~

• obviously i am magical..
  • loljk im not i totally fooled you
« Reply #882 on: September 03, 2011, 10:04:38 PM »
i think it would be nice to start fresh in a completely new world since i havent really accomplished anything in the server. but others might not agree with me like chen with her like 20 million diamonds.  :V

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #883 on: September 03, 2011, 10:11:52 PM »
New world is good come 1.8 with schematics imports of buildings as well.
Bad command or file name

Shady_Ghost

• #totes
  • #legit
« Reply #884 on: September 03, 2011, 10:13:24 PM »
What do you guys propose as a solution? (Having more admins to reboot the server is not a solution.) I'm prepared to start (yet another) new world, though perhaps we can organize a way to send your inventory with you (i.e. make a schematic of a bunch of your chests and paste them in).
I say we go with a new world.  And for the inventory pasting well...that'd make it too easy(tm)  :V. so yeah I'll start completely fresh.
Edit: Change of plans I wanna keep my stuff  :derp:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 10:58:27 PM by ShadyK »
2lazy2createbettersig

« Reply #885 on: September 03, 2011, 11:27:06 PM »
i dont mind starting freash, i jsut want my glass/sand and coal :D

« Reply #886 on: September 03, 2011, 11:29:49 PM »
I had saved a backup of the world files earlier today, in case we generate another vanilla world to test if PTM was the culprit. I'm not sure if I will make another backup before we try generating a new world. It depends on when we try doing this.

Carrying people's inventories over is simple. Their data is in separate files for each player. All we would need to do is drop them into "world/players" folder and people will get to keep their on hand inventories. Everything else will need to be handled through schematics once again. Bad news for me. Good news for all of us. :V Placing these schematics will be FAR simpler on a vanilla world, since there won't be issues with the landforms or skybox.

I wish Notch would release 1.8 soon (like he claimed) so that the shift can happen at the same time. So, my question is: Which scenario would you guys prefer:
-Keep playing on the current unstable world until Notch releases 1.8, then import schematics.
-Generate a temporary vanilla world to help us solve if PTM is causing instability, and use that until 1.8
-Generate new vanilla world. Import schematics. 1.8 releases. Generate new 1.8 world. Import schematics again. (obviously, I don't want to go this route, but methinks this will be what happens anyway :V )
-Generate new vanilla world. EVERYONE STARTS FROM SCRATCH. :P

I'll need to test to make sure that MC Edit will be compatible with the current world before I can guarantee schematic support. Schematics are possible.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 11:39:06 PM by Dr.Strafe »

Shady_Ghost

• #totes
  • #legit
« Reply #887 on: September 03, 2011, 11:33:43 PM »
-Generate new vanilla world. EVERYONE STARTS FROM SCRATCH. :P
LETS MAKE THIS HAPPEN! Umm i think we should go with option 2 so we can at least have a hopefully stable server for when 1.8 comes out.
2lazy2createbettersig

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #888 on: September 03, 2011, 11:33:53 PM »
I would like to have my stuff from this server actually. (all that diamond should stay with me :V) That, and I really don't want to gather ALL of that wool again. (not building it because server is imploding and 1.8 will be out soon anyway)

Fake Edit: As for which scenario, I don't mind any of the first three. (I'm not starting from scratch) I'd like to keep playing in this world while it lasts, since we shouldn't have it for much longer and we know where stuff is right now) Generating a new temporary world is not a bad idea either, because the crashes are very annoying.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #889 on: September 03, 2011, 11:44:08 PM »
The problem is that even if 1.8 were to release tomorrow we can expect a few weeks of bugfix releases after that, which I'd rather wait for before updating to it.

We will not be doing the "generate new vanilla, you're on your own" thing again. I'm not going to make everyone start from scratch again. It's just a question of what is feasible to transfer.

-Generate new vanilla world. Import schematics. 1.8 releases. Generate new 1.8 world. Import schematics again.

What we could do is go the "1.8 hits, generate a second world for it" route. That way we get a fresh 1.8 world with our generic world still intact as a home base of sorts. Of course the 1.7.3 world will be using it as well, just only if you generate new chunks, and a lot of the map will probably be filled out before that.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 11:46:47 PM by Stuffman »

« Reply #890 on: September 03, 2011, 11:50:26 PM »
Inventories and structures are both feasible for the transfer. No problem there. I just don't want to have to import schematics twice for each player.

Perhaps our vanilla test world would be some sort of alternate world where we can just focus on obtaining resources? I wouldn't discourage building in that world, but who knows how long we'd keep it before the 1.8 move.

What we could do is go the "1.8 hits, generate a second world for it" route. That way we get a fresh 1.8 world with our generic world still intact as a home base of sorts. Of course the 1.7.3 world will be using it as well, just only if you generate new chunks, and a lot of the map will probably be filled out before that.
So you're suggesting generating a new 1.7.3 world, and then making a separate 1.8 world through Multiverse? That could work.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 11:54:37 PM by Dr.Strafe »

BlackSparda

• Peace through osaisen!
« Reply #891 on: September 03, 2011, 11:53:32 PM »
i read on gamestar that 1.8 sould be released around the 8 september

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #892 on: September 03, 2011, 11:57:43 PM »
So you're suggesting generating a new 1.7.3 world, and then making a separate 1.8 world through Multiverse? That could work.
Yeah, that's the idea. How do people feel about this?

1.8 will have more new content than most releases before it, so we can also expect more bugs than any release before it. I would say it'll probably be about a month after it's out before we can actually switch over.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #893 on: September 04, 2011, 12:00:38 AM »
That would be awesome. I've been waiting for it for too long now. :V

I'm gonna bet it'll be the 9th, since that's a Friday, and Notch seems to like Friday updates.
TF2 Backpack

« Reply #894 on: September 04, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
That sounds good. Hopefully things will work in our favor at that time.

In response to your questions about the wall and the Pagoda, it wasn't only about the view. I didn't want to obstruct transportation out of the "Spawn Zone", nor dissuade people from expanding off to the east. Of course, it seems that this will all become a moot issue soon. :V

Edit- Well, if we're planning on converting over to the new vanilla world soon, then people might want to prepare their properties and inventories for the event.

When it comes to creating schematics, I have to create a bounding field that is cuboid in nature. I cannot just trim off edges and what not. So, like the previous imports, I will be saving the "important parts" of people's structures. Namely, the structures themselves, omitting unnecessary things like farms and mines. If your complex has a large, spread out underground area, then that just means that I would have to import a larger tract of land to compensate for it. I would like to try to keep the schematic designs as simple as possible, so I suggest that people try to store their chests and important belongings into the main areas of their bases. Simply put, just pool all your crap into the important parts of your buildings. This way, you won't lose anything that I might miss when creating the schematic.

Unfortunately, this round of schematic work will be quite a test. Many of our structures are VERY close together. For example: I don't think that I'll be able to import the whole Great Wall of Sparda without taking half of the Spawn Area with it. For this case, I'd suggest that Sparda relocate all his stuff into a central tower, and I'll import that to wherever he wishes. I will compensate him for the cobblestone lost from the rest of his structure.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 12:39:11 AM by Dr.Strafe »

Shady_Ghost

• #totes
  • #legit
Re: [Minecraft] MotK Minecraft Server (NOT FIXED)
« Reply #895 on: September 04, 2011, 12:24:37 AM »
How splendid my house is in the shape of like a perfect cube  :V
2lazy2createbettersig

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #896 on: September 04, 2011, 12:28:06 AM »
Sounds good. I can gather up my invintory and our free chest beneath our houses. Don't need to worry about the underground spot. Chen might want to get her mushrooms down there though.
TF2 Backpack

« Reply #897 on: September 04, 2011, 12:57:15 AM »
From what I gather, we will be creating the new vanilla world at some point on Monday. I will make the final world backup just before it, so please be sure to prepare your properties beforehand. Also, go raid the worlds as much as you can.

We'll announce when we take the server down for the conversion.

Chen

• Ruined my own appeal by being a dumbass
« Reply #898 on: September 04, 2011, 01:00:27 AM »
I say we all blow the old world up.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Re: [Minecraft] MotK Minecraft Server (PREPARE FOR WORLD MOVE!)
« Reply #899 on: September 04, 2011, 01:26:04 AM »
Busy playing TF2 ATM, so response is a bit rushed. :V

Support new world idea. We should have a concrete time for backup though.

Not in support of huge explosions this time though. We don't need Strafeageddon 2: The Stuffening and the Strafening.
Bad command or file name