Author Topic: Perfect/Butler Quest, Part II: What it Means to Protect  (Read 118419 times)

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
Re: Perfect/Butler Quest, Part I: What it Means to be Human
« Reply #330 on: January 14, 2012, 09:24:54 PM »
> Don't stoop to her level, continue to try holding her off, or at least occupied, until McHarl gets here.

>You don't have time to exchange pleasantries. You don't have time for...anything.

>Your knife flashes, severing the hair. You can care about that later.
>Five slashes, then dash away.
>You won't be able to do this any other way. Matching her...is impossible. You can only try to keep up.
>You're weak. The weakest. But that doesn't matter. Even if you're too weak to handle it...you will.

>"Buriallusion...
Phantomic Killer in Night Mist, times two."
>If your body breaks, just make it stronger. If you can't handle the strain, make it so you can. That's all you have to do.

>She reels back from the sudden freedom you've given yourself and the sudden assault you gave her. Though the wounds disappear within a second, you take a certain satisfaction in seeing her narrow her eyes at you. "I've played around for too long, it se-"
>Both of you widen your eyes, as your senses feel it before you can react.
>Thunk.
>Her head is thrown to the side as if something had struck it. From the not-red blood splattered across the ground, something most likely did. The roar of a rifle washing over you not a millisecond later confirms that.
>Something lands right in front of her: a smoking cylinder.

>A momentary glance to the side reveals a rapidly approaching squad of riflemen, one still on the backswing from throwing his...flashbang.
>You close your eyes and dash. Ignore the flash of light, ignore the massive slam of the flashbang going off. Take all the oppurtunities you can.

>The mist reappears with new strength as your assault starts again. Attack, attack, attack. Use every single second you have to open this oppurtunity wide open.
>Not-red blood splatters across your face. Against your arms, your knife, the ground. There is not even a single moment where she's not being attacked, not being slashed at by your knife or struck by your foot or punched by your fist.

>Crack.
>Reinforce.
>Crack.
>Reinforce.
>Crack.
>Reinforce.

>If it breaks, fix it.
>At some point your hearing returned, because as much as closing your eyes shielded you from the flash it did nothing for the bang.
>"We have air support!"
>You dash out immediately as the din of gunfire fills the air once more. Four assault rifles, one designated marksman rifle, and a squad assault weapon from the ground. Two more rifles and a mounted machine gun from the sky, where a helicopter hangs menacingly. The smoke kicks up and you can barely even see your adversary get turned to swiss cheese.

>McHarl slides in next to you. When did you collapse to your knees...?
>"Mac! Mac, talk to me!"
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #331 on: January 14, 2012, 09:26:54 PM »
> "...how're Dayna and Luna?"

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #332 on: January 15, 2012, 06:53:57 AM »
> "...how're Dayna and Luna?"

>He tries to laugh a bit. "As expected. They're...they're alright kid. You'll all be alright, I promise."
>...'you'll'. Future tense. You're not right now, is what he's saying.
>Regardless, you let out a small sigh of relief.

>The roar of bullets doesn't let up for a second. Bullets, hand-held rocket launchers, incendiary grenades, what have you. All of it absolutely rips apart the High Lady, leaving her no oppurtunity to respond. Her regeneration can't even keep up.
>McHarl takes the oppurtunity to gesture over a medic, who pulls out what must be a mile of gauze. The sheer amount of manpower they brought in for this is staggering.
>Did you really get hurt that bad?...yes. You did. The strain of your technique caused several blood vessels to just burst. That would explain the growing black spot in the corner of your vision, and the light-headedness you feel.

>Someone drags over the two girls. You, in much better shape, latch on to Dayna as if your life depended on it. With Luna, still unconscious, cradled between you, neither of you are willing to let go. The only space you give is enough for the medic to treat Luna.
>"...not enough. Run. Now," Dayna manages, trembling in the worst bout of fear you've ever seen her in. Her curt language doesn't seem so calm and collected now. At this point...it's more like it's fearful, as if she was saving every breath possible for any hope of escape she would have.
>Too naive. You're too naive to think that this would be enough.
>You nod at her.
>"Captain, we need to get out now. This isn't enough."
>He nods, trusting your judgement, and gestures. "Windmill 1, keep it up! Ground troops, we're out of here! Evac now!"

>Two men link arms and carry Luna and Dayna between them. You...you can handle yourself, and if something happens then time stop will be your safety. Or their's, at least.
>As you all file into the back of a hummer, you give the smoke cloud where the High Lady, still being perforated by countless, is located. With a hand gesture, you add a flurry of phantom knives to the mix.
>The door slams shut and you're off.

>...

>"...yes. Yes. We need some immediate medical attention. No. No sir. The hostile...was not confirmed dead. Windmill 1 left soon after."
>"....not enough. Not nearly."
>"...We have reason to believe the hostile was not killed. Yes sir. I understand sir. The priority package is on its way. We won't lose them sir."
>"...unh?"
>You and Dayna nearly jump from your seats as Luna stirs from her slumber. As Dayna literally slices her seatbelt open to get to her, you're slightly more restrained and unfasten it instead.
>"Luna? Luna? Are you alright?"
>While Dayna silently holds the ice girl against her, you just try to make sure she's okay."
>"What...where are we...?" she manages.
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #333 on: January 15, 2012, 03:04:29 PM »
> "We're in a Hummer.  McHarl managed to get to us, so we're being evacuated."

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #334 on: January 15, 2012, 07:18:42 PM »
> "We're in a Hummer.  McHarl managed to get to us, so we're being evacuated."

>She blinks. "And...the High Lady?"
>You shake your head. "We ran. McHarl saved our asses, but..." You turn to Dayna.
>She shakes her head as well. "Not enough."
>McHarl grimaces. "Pretty much our whole damn armory, and that wasn't enough?
>Luna coughs, then smiles in a bitter way. "If she had maintained her human form, yes. It would've been. But the High Lady isn't so stupid."

>"Wait, human form?"
>Luna turns back to you. "How did that one show call it...? Ah. If I said 'game face', would you understand?"
>You and McHarl pale. Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Though the context is inappropriate, that...that's scary. If the two girls in front of you are this powerful when suppressing themselves, and the High Lady was that powerful when doing the same, then...
>"...she's going to intercept us," you say suddenly. "We need to be ready."
>The Captain nods and speaks into his com system. "Mac. If this goes bad...well, it's been an honor working with you."

>You grimace and wave him off. "Save it for later Captain," you mutter, before turning back to the most wounded of you three. "Luna, I need to know what she can do. If...If I know that, I can delay her."
>She opens her eyes fully and locks stares with you. Like that time in the alley, she examines you. Appraises you. Then she chuckles and looks back to her mistress. "You're truly an interesting person, Clock keeper.'

>"The royal family of my world derive their power, and sustenance, from information. As they mature, this expands. Lady Daynasviel here...her power grows as the bravery of the area grows. People willing to stand up to what frightens them. She was...she was very weak when she first came here. But your presence brought her back from the brink. She...she owes much to you. As do I."
>"The High Lady's portfolio has long expanded beyond a single thing. Any sort of emotion or thought is vulnerable to her. However, she's always favored...fear. Chaos. She is most likely the instigator behind the incidents in this town. To think she was involved even before either of us arrived, though, is...unplausible. Why...why would she do this? Just randomly torturing a foreign world...the High Lady is cruel, yes, but this is above and beyond anything I've ever seen her do."
>She shakes her head from the thoughts. "In any case, she outpowers both myself and Lady Daynasviel by a great deal. When I went to investigate earlier...I had a small suspicion it was her. I didn't truly expect it though, and I was defeated."
>Luna looks back at you, and you're startled to find fear in her eyes. "Mackenzie Izayoi. If we fight...you will not survive. Neither will you, Captain. She...she's most likely bringing us back."

>Your expression darkens. "I won't let that happen. I won't let you two ever cry again."
>Before she can respond, the car screeches to a halt.
>"...Hostile at 12 o'clock," says the driver, with no small amount of fear in his voice.
>You exit the hummer before the two girls can stop you. McHarl accompanies you. The medic keeps the two of them from following.

>The High Lady stands in the middle of the road, right in front of you guys. Unharmed. But you see her power pulse around her, casting unnatural shadows on her form. Her features have elongated slightly, her claws sharpened. Her tail is longer than the road is wide now, and the silhouette of four magnificent black wings floats behind her. "This farce ends now, Clock-keeper. I'll be taking my daughter and servant now."
>There's a hostility in her voice, an irritation, that wasn't there before.

>It doesn't matter. Your knife is already in your hand. McHarl's already loaded his gun. The driver too, along with all the other soldiers. Two helicopters hang in the sky, both with guns aimed.
>"It's pointless trying to tell you to back down, Mac. So let's do this."
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 07:38:10 PM by Amra »
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #335 on: January 15, 2012, 07:34:25 PM »
> Well this'll be fun.
> Time stop and set up a barrier of knives to pelt her with.
> After that, make with the stabbing.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #336 on: January 15, 2012, 08:53:35 PM »
> Well this'll be fun.
> Time stop and set up a barrier of knives to pelt her with.
> After that, make with the stabbing.

>You grin a feral, twisted grin. "Yeah."

>Time Sign, Silver Acute 360. Barrier.
>Buriallusion, Phantomic Killer in Night Mist, Time Two.

>"Let's."
>She doesn't bother letting you even touch her this time. Her wings and tails provide an impenetrable barrier, and even with your abilities you can only manage to sneak in a thrown knife every oppurtunity. The helicopters have an easier time of it, but not much.
>You can't do anything to her...no. If those wings and that tail stand in your way, then just get rid of them.

>Concentrate your power into your knife. If it isn't sharp enough...make it.
>You blur away and reappear right above a wing, which protects her from the hail of bullets above. Before she can react, you bring your hand down, knife gleaming silver all the while.
>This barrier stands in your way. It stands in the way of you keeping those two girls safe. It stands in the way of their happiness.
>A massive gash tears itself into the energy construct. Her eyes widen at the damage, but you're already gone.
>The next wing. Then the next, then the last. Then her tail, then start over.
>Scars. Scar her. Wound her. Kill her.
>This is the only path that will allow you victory.
>"Why you-!"
>She swings her arms. Three wings dive in from the side, all tapered to deadly points.
>One less than four. Then...
>You dodge the attack and attack without thinking at the fourth wing. As you suspected.
>It severs and disappears into aether. Her eyes widen. "How-?"
>Her tail is swinging in to intercept you, but you're already gone.
>If you can repeat this, then, certainly, you can-!

>"Enough."
>A burst of power erupts from her like an explosion, consuming everything around her in a wave of destruction. You're thrown back, into the steel street railing, and cough out a sputter of blood. The soldiers are scattered across the floor, the hummer flipped on to its side. Her wings have disappeared.
>"Dear me...I suppose playing this game with you humans has grown troublesome enough. Do you really think I wouldn't have taken into account an extremely fast combatant or long range support into account, Clock-keeper? To me...you're just not strong enough. I've had dozens of years of combat experience. Hundreds, even. You don't even register. You expect me to conform to the standards of your 'final boss'? Who has a weakness to exploit, despite overwhelming power? Please. I've long since disposed of my weaknesses. Amusing your fantasy wasn't even funny."
>"I enjoyed toying with you, you know. Messing up your every day life. Turning you into some kind of night protector of the town, then tearing out your foundation from below you. I enjoyed watching you cry and squirm. It was...delicious. But now you're just boring me."

>McHarl, the brave bastard, gets up with pistol in hand and starts firing. But the bullets just...bounce off. Disappear entirely. Her 'wings' earlier were a purposeful weakening then...?
>Regardless, slowly, one by one, the soldiers all get up while you're still catching your breath.
>With everything they have, every single last bullet, they try to attack her.

>She frowns at the last ditch attempt to stop her. "Allow me to show you how pointless this is."
>The High Lady raises her hand.

>Thump.
>You hit the floor, crushed under some invisible force. McHarl and the rest of the ground troops join you seconds later. The helicopters swerve out of control and out of sight. Distant crashes are heard seconds later. You try to move, but it's...it's impossible. Even if you were to stop time, this unbearable presence would just hold you down.
>No...
>She lazily extends a finger in the direction of a man and spears him on the spot, claw-tendril extending instantaneously. Then another. Another. All of them, one by one with maddening slowness.
>No...
>The High Lady raises an eyebrow as McHarl stands strong, despite the foot wide tentacle going straight through him. He grabs onto it, even, and tries to cut it off with his knife. She smiles and moves her hand ever so slightly.
>Thud.
>The captain lies right in front of you, bleeding out and unmoving.
>She slices open the hummer right in front of your eyes and retrieves the two girls, still without moving. They don't fight back. They can't. The High Lady's method of retrieval made sure of it.

>Held there right above her, with all four limbs impaled, Dayna and Luna can do nothing. She gives you one final look before casually slicing open a rip in reality with her other hand, as if it didn't even matter.
>You grit your teeth as she walks through it.

>Weak. Weak.
>Weak. So. Weak.
>You were always weak, even now.
>You can't even save your friends.
>You can't even protect the people who helped you.
>You can't even stop this one thing from happening.

>But there is one thing you can stop.
>You rise, inch by inch. Your bones cry out in agony at the strain, but you don't care.
>Everything has been taken from you. Your home. Your friends. Your innocence. Your clean, unmarred hands.
>The timer clicks down to 0, signalling the end of your power. But...no. You won't let it end. You'll keep time stopped for as long as you need.

>Even if it's only here, in this world, you can do something.
>This...this is your world.

>Illusion World: Mackenzie's World.

You can't stop her, not with how wounded you are...but...but...
If you left this world behind...if you threw away everything you've ever taken for granted, then...
You could follow them. You could follow them into that world.
The thought is crushing. All of them are. The sudden realization that you really have nothing left to leave in this one. The fear of the unknown. What would happened if you followed? How would you even start? Would you survive the transit?
But...but if it's for them...then...then?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 09:02:44 PM by Amra »
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #337 on: January 15, 2012, 09:13:50 PM »
> We don't have time for 'what ifs'.  She thrives off fear and like hell we'll give her the satisfaction of throwing us into despair.
> Follow her.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #338 on: January 15, 2012, 10:09:32 PM »
> We don't have time for 'what ifs'.  She thrives off fear and like hell we'll give her the satisfaction of throwing us into despair.
> Follow her.

>Step forward. Don't stop. Ever. Foot in front of foot. One at a time.
>As you do, you can't help but begin to smile. You never did have time for 'what ifs', did you? Spilled milk and regrets...you've had enough of all that.
>You look behind at the fallen soldiers, and bow your head in apology. "I'm sorry I couldn't do anything for you. I'm sorry you gave everything up for my selfish desires."
>The image of McHarl grinning at you, along with the rest of his squad, the Major, and all the people in the government branch, fills your eyes.
>Step. Step.

>You look in the direction of town, and bow your head in apology. "I'm sorry I couldn't put your fears to rest. I'm sorry I won't be able to give you closure."
>The image of your classmates and their parents, and all the people you knew in town and even those you didn't, fills your eyes.
>Step. Step.

>You look off in the sky, and bow your head in apology. "I'm sorry Lily. I'm going to be leaving you alone for a while. But please...don't worry about me too much. I...I'm sorry."
>The image of your best friend, the shy, mousey girl who loved the one you couldn't save, fills your eyes.
>Step. Step.

>And finally, you look at the two girls. Dayna, who's defeated expression fills you with sorrow. Luna, who's defiant yet terrified expression fills you with rage. "I'm sorry. I...I couldn't save you two. I could only tease you with what I thought was happiness, not knowing how to go about it. Not knowing where I should act, how I should act. Blindly going forward, doing my best, like an idiot. Not realizing the consequences."
>Your cheeks feel warm. Wet. "I'm sorry."
>"I'm sorry."
>"I'm so sorry."
>"But...but just wait a little longer. I...I promise I'll-!"

>Ba-dump. Ba-dump.
>"Wha-?"
>"You fool..."
>"...idiot."
>You stare. "How can you two...?"
>"This is your world, isn't it? You self-sacrificing idiot."
>"Stop...stop telling us. We want to worry, too."
>"You're always putting us ahead of you, as if we're porcelain dolls. You're...you're so stupid."
>"But...But I..."
>"We know. And...I'm thankful. You brought me out of a dark place, clock-keeper."
>"I, as well."
>"To think...to think you're following us into our own world, just for us..."
>"...I'm happy. So happy."
>"...so yes. We'll wait for you. But don't think we'll just be damsels waiting in a tower, clock-keeper."
>"...goodbye, Mac."
>They smile at you. Despite being there, impaled and in what must be unimaginable pain, they manage a smile for you. And just like that, they're frozen again.
>You stare. In shock and all sorts of emotions.
>Then you close your eyes and smile.
>Step. Step.

>You stop, right in front of the portal, and look back for a moment. You commit those smiles to memory. You'll be seeing them again. You swear it.
>"I'll be going first, guys."
>You move forward.

Perfect/Butler Quest Part I: What it Means to be Human
Complete
True End

For me...being human is smiling. Laughing. Enjoying. I think that's worth protecting.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:16:32 PM by Amra »
Sugoiiii~

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
Re: Perfect/Butler Quest, Part II: What it Means to Protect
« Reply #339 on: January 15, 2012, 10:12:16 PM »
>You are Mackenzie Izayoi. Clock-Keeper.
>You're sprawled across the floor of some kind of...forest. Consciosness is just beginning to return to you. Your eyes are closed.
>What do you do?
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #340 on: January 15, 2012, 11:02:53 PM »
> "Ugh, crap."
> Slowly open our eyes and sit up.
> Look around.
> "So much for trying to rid myself of manga clich?s."

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #341 on: January 15, 2012, 11:19:18 PM »
> "Ugh, crap."
> Slowly open our eyes and sit up.
> Look around.
> "So much for trying to rid myself of manga clich?s."

>You try laughing to yourself, but it hurts to really even move. You're less self-aware than you realize, sometimes. This whole adventure has been really cliche in some ways, but...does it matter? In the end this is real to you. Even if it is ridiculous.
>Thinking about the last few minutes...urgh. You blush a little and are glad no one could actually hear that...even it was true.
>Sitting up takes a while. You really did a number on yourself. Your voice is a little hoarse, your joints stiff. Your knife...you've lost your knife, and a good deal of your shirt. Large patches of your skin are a bright, angry red, as if burned. They feel burned too.
>You finally manage to get up and open your eyes, only to close them again at the brightness. "Jesus," you curse, wincing at the momentary glance of too vivid colors.
>Slowly, you adjust. Millimeter by millimeter, you open your eyes...and gasp.

>Beautiful. And huge. That's all you really have to say. Trees that tower above you, larger than skyscrapers even. The sun filters in through the leaves like a speckled blanket, but even then it's really bright.
>You're nestled between two roots, quite snugly at that, and manage to get out with some difficulty.
>A worn path, with wheel marks and hoof marks alike, goes to your left and right for god knows how long.
>You grimace as a headache hits you, then all sorts of bodily pain. You really pushed your limits back there with that new...skill, you guess? It was quite a bit more potent than time clone or dilation, that's for sure.
>What to do, you wonder...?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:30:32 PM by Amra »
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #342 on: January 15, 2012, 11:32:55 PM »
> Nothing we really CAN do except follow that path.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #343 on: January 16, 2012, 12:03:18 AM »
> Nothing we really CAN do except follow that path.

>You grimace. Yup. No other options.
>You kick off from the top of the root, which is a good five feet high, and dust yourself off.
>It's...a fast decision. You decide to go right.
>Eenie meenie mini mo is useful.

>...

>You hope everyone's alright. You really do.
>You hope McHarl and his squad is okay. You hope the helicopter pilots are alright, and the gunners.
>You hope Lily won't hate you too much for leaving her.
>You hope your parents won't suddenly come home to find the apartment complex burned down or something.
>You hope the fallout from the whole supernatural world being revealed won't be too bad for the Hunters. And the town.

>You also hope that you find something soon. You're getting hungry.
>Wait...the forest is getting less dense. You pick up pace.
>Yeah, definitely less dense...
>!
>Your senses pick up something off in the distance. If you're not wrong...
>A sigh escapes your mouth as you finally see a town, small as it is. A river passes near it, and the sound of a sawmill is clearly audible. Some sort of frontier town, then?
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #344 on: January 16, 2012, 12:41:10 AM »
> Here's hoping we're welcome there.
> While we're at it, time skip a little just to make sure we're still good in a pinch.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #345 on: January 16, 2012, 01:37:20 AM »
> Here's hoping we're welcome there.
> While we're at it, time skip a little just to make sure we're still good in a pinch.

>You pray to...someone...that you are.
>Oh, right. Might as well check.

>So let's test.
>You blink. This...this isn't that different. But it is, in some way. You can tell. The duration is longer, obviously, but...something about this seems more serene. Natural. As if...it was your power, rather than a power you were just using. An upgrade from a 'user' to an 'owner'.
>Or maybe you're just hallucinating, but this feels a hell lot nicer for some reason than before.
>After roughly 26 seconds, time
resumes.

>You roll your shoulders, look inside...hmm. The cooldown has increased by about 15 seconds. But overall, you can time stop for longer.
>Confident that you'll be able to escape if need be, you walk into town, wishing that your clothing wasn't so...messed up. Your shirt barely even exists, and your jeans are torn in dozens of places.
>Maybe you could pick up some threads...

>...

>...Huh. It's...abandoned. The sawmill is still running; the water flow powers a serrated guillotine, but it's not cutting anything. There isn't any wood piled. The houses are thankfully familiar, but they're just as empty from a cursory external examination.
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #346 on: January 16, 2012, 01:47:15 AM »
> Poke around a bit.
> "Anyone around?"

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #347 on: January 16, 2012, 03:43:18 AM »
> Poke around a bit.
> "Anyone around?"

>There are four houses in total, and a larger lodge. One, you notice, has a collection of smithing paraphernelia outside it.
>You knock on the doors and call, but no answer.
>Curiosity and a need for a weapon overtakes you. You examine the forge a little closer...and find a number of abandoned weapons. Unrusted, all of them. You're not quite sure they're iron or steel in the first place, but they're definitely functional. A halberd, refitted scythe, axe, and mace.
>Checking inside the house proper, you find some clothing. Simple leathers and furs, along with some...yay! Knives. Lots of them! About five. Two are skinning knives, one's more like a machete, but the other two are juuust perfect~
>...
>You narrow your eyes and make sure no one was there to see your little hop of joy.
>You decide to wait until you've checked the other houses before doing anything stupid.

>...

>Sitting atop a stump, with arms crossed and eyes closed, anyone could tell you were thinking.
>The entire town is abandoned. You found some manifests involving shipments of wood and some ore you don't recognize; the town is most likely a trading post of some sort, where several resources were gathered and processed.
>You recall offhandedly the things you found: survival gear. A long bow and a set of arrows. Two tents, three bedrolls. Trail rations, still good. Weapons hidden under tables and beds; a finely kept longsword, some jewelry that must have been enchanted from the massive presence you felt from it, and some sorted of three-bladed wheel thing with a spool of wire to go with. Probably thrown, but you could imagine how weird that thing would be to face in close combat. Unrusted hatchets.
>Then you recall what you didn't find: Bloodstains. Signs of struggle. Signs of combat. Signs of anything.
>None of it makes sense. All of this is useful stuff. It's like everyone in the town just...disappeared.

>You flip through the manifests. There's a mine nearby, and another road which leads to a bigger city. The road you came from leads to a port city.
>You get the nagging suspicion that you've swapped from the manga/anime genre to the fantasy one, and if so, then...that mine would be the first place to check.
>The 'unimaginable horror is released from miner due to carelessness' angle sounds pretty probable.
Sugoiiii~

« Reply #348 on: January 16, 2012, 03:53:56 AM »
Lets check the city first.
People would be good to find.
I have...a terrible need...shall I say the word?...of religion. Then I go out at night and paint the stars.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #349 on: January 16, 2012, 07:54:34 AM »
Lets check the city first.
People would be good to find.

>You nod to yourself and figure going to the city would be better first.
>The fact remains though that you're unarmed and wholly unprepared for any sort of journey. There's stuff right here for the taking, but...
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #350 on: January 16, 2012, 12:23:03 PM »
> Screw it.  It's not like everyone's out for a picnic and they'll be back soon.
> Grab anything we deem necessary, as well as some unripped clothes if we can find some.
> Also we might want to tone down our knife-happiness a tad.  That can't be very healthy.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #351 on: January 16, 2012, 07:39:23 PM »
> Screw it.  It's not like everyone's out for a picnic and they'll be back soon.
> Grab anything we deem necessary, as well as some unripped clothes if we can find some.
> Also we might want to tone down our knife-happiness a tad.  That can't be very healthy.

>Solid logic. All of it, including the knife part. You can't help it! You like knives. A lot.
>The trail rations, bedroll, a tent, a hatchet, the survival gear (which includes firestarters, fresh looking bandages, a canteen, and two pewter bowls) are your main concerns.
>Weapon-wise...you decide to take the knives with you. You find their scabbards and bastardize some holsters out of your jeans; the two skinning knives on the side of each calve, the machete-like one across your back, and the two combat ones side by side on the small of your back.
>That's after you pull apart the furs and leathers into something that fits you. You keep your shoes, and the belt too, but otherwise it's all new. Years of living alone has its benefits: you're pretty fond of the knee length jacket and the two shirts you put together. Not to mention the new backpack and pants.
>...You notice you look like a proper adventurer when you stare into the river.
>And then you notice your hair, and from that you notice how much a pain in the ass shaving is gonna be. Well, whatever. After a bit of tidying up said hair, you look at the sky.

>Night is fast approaching. It's two days travel according to the manifest (thus about one for you, if you cheese your way there), so it doesn't matter anyway when you really start, but your body is making the aches from your last fight very apparent. You're still wrapped up pretty tightly in bandages under all the new fur clothing.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 08:01:57 PM by Amra »
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #352 on: January 16, 2012, 09:30:03 PM »
> Well if our body is objecting, we might as well spend the night here.  We can just set out in the morning.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #353 on: January 21, 2012, 12:08:12 AM »
> Well if our body is objecting, we might as well spend the night here.  We can just set out in the morning.

>If your body was sentient, it probably would have thanked you.
>You strip and check the bandages again, replacing the soiled ones when necessary. Night sets in fully as you do so.
>It's like someone just poked holes right where the arteries were. That technique is really dangerous when sustained...but...
>You narrow your eyes and stand. Maybe...
>Maintain it for only an instant. Focus. Move.

>You blink, now finding yourself on the other side of the river from your makeshift campsite. The dust from the instantaneous movement is still settling. You flex your fingers.
>Another technique for the list, then...

>...

>Sleep is deep and dreamless. Understandable considering what you went through. You wake, pop some trail rations into your mouth, narrow your eyes at the off-taste, then wash up before gearing up.
>Nothing was wrong about the food, per say, it was just...different. You lick your lips, still getting used to the taste, while you look around at the off-looking forest and the not-steel weapons you wield now.
>You remember Dayna giving odd looks to your silverware, to the things in your town...no, rather, what she was looking at were the materials. Just as these things are odd to you, so were your's to her.
>This really is a different world...

>You shake your head, get up, and make sure you have everything. Time to go.
>Hard and fast travel, or take it slow? Who knows what you might find, but every second wasted...
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #354 on: January 21, 2012, 02:35:06 AM »
> Head out, but set a good pace.  Not too fast and not too slow.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #355 on: January 21, 2012, 03:52:56 AM »
> Head out, but set a good pace.  Not too fast and not too slow.

>Everything in moderation. Taking too much time would be as bad as rushing and getting yourself into something stupid.
>You start off with a good power walk, and take it from there.
>As the hours pass, you start wincing with each step. You're not quite used to extended travel like this, and it's showing.

>You sit down on a lone rock and take a deep breath, then observe your surroundings.
>Having exited the forest about an hour ago, you whistle at the field that sprawls out before you. It's like any other field you'd find in the Midwest...except the grass is a very noticeable crimson color. It's a little rougher to the touch...you imagine it might be able to cut, if you were careless.

>!

>You rapidly flip out of the way when your instincts scream. Your 'seat' explodes into a shower of gravel as something hits it. The hell was-?
>Another projectile. It has an unnatural feel about it...this...?
>It screams past you after a quick dodge.
>You narrow your eyes and flick a knife out. There...hidden in the grass, nearly invisible with a red cloth drawn over him or her...is your attacker.
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #356 on: January 21, 2012, 04:00:13 AM »
> Time-stop behind them.  Lets settle this quickly and with little fighting.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #357 on: January 21, 2012, 04:11:49 AM »
> Time-stop behind them.  Lets settle this quickly and with little fighting.

>You narrow your eyes and would, but he or she's really far...at least 300 meters. You can't clear that in one time stop...but...
>Another shot. This time you get a good look at it, and the sight makes you gape.
>It's an oversized arrow, colored entirely in blue. The edges are blurry and indistinct, bleeding into each other and dissipating completely at some points. The attack paints a blue trail into the air as it sails past you; it's more like a laser than an arrow!

>You zigzag through the grass, dodging the shots best you can. They're absurdly fast, and with this grass it's impossible to navigate easily. Wide swaths are cut out of the grass as the shots sail past you.
>The assailant is slowly adjusting to your movement...even with your dodging changin as erratically as possible, the shots are getting closer and closer...but...you're almost close enough to...
>An arrow flies straight at your face, too close to dodge now-!

>But that doesn't matter.

>You dash across the grass with all your speed, leap, and bring your knife down...!

>Time resumes as you descend. Somehow, your target senses you and desperately flips, shooting an arrow at you, but its wildly off and you land directly on him.
>Your knife lingers around...her neck, you realize, pressing into the skin but not breaking it.
>She clicks her tongue in annoyance.
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #358 on: January 21, 2012, 02:44:31 PM »
> "You know, trying to kill someone isn't exactly the best greeting."
> Stay frosty.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #359 on: January 21, 2012, 11:44:28 PM »
> "You know, trying to kill someone isn't exactly the best greeting."
> Stay frosty.

>Rather than respond, her look is of shock.
>"The hell is up with you?!"
>You raise an eyebrow at her exclamation. "Repeat that?"
>She seems to be in shock now. "You can...you can talk?!"
>The other eyebrow goes up. "...obviously?"
>"No, no, humans aren't supposed to be able to talk! They haven't evolved to that point yet!"
>...what.
>"...I assure you we're quite evolved. Now, why did you try to attack me?"
>"I passed that village in the forest; everyone was gone and all the stuff was too! Then I find you with all this gear...I thought you ate the entire place!"
>...ate?
>"..."
>"Well what do you expect me to do!? The kind of things I've heard about your kind are really scary, you know!"
>"...yeah. Same goes for me."

>...

>She stares at you. The two of you are back on the road, having decided to settle this peacefully. Namely by conversation.
>"You one question, then me, alright? I'm not letting you out of my sight until I know for sure ya didn't do anything funny."
>You shrug. If it came down to it...she wouldn't catch you, at the very least.
>What to ask? There's a convenient source of info right here.
Sugoiiii~