Author Topic: Perfect/Butler Quest, Part II: What it Means to Protect  (Read 118219 times)

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
Re: Perfect/Butler Quest, Part II: What it Means to Protect
« Reply #450 on: June 13, 2012, 03:33:10 PM »
> Stay frosty while trying to get a better look at the creature.

>Widened eyes narrow. No need to get worked up. Just keep cool and in control.
>You fall forward into a sprint, trying to get a sight angle beyond the ruined pillars while tendrils whip around, forcing you into some drastic dodging manuevers.
>Judging by the gashes they're slashing into the stone, not something you want to get hit directly by.

>...there. A mess of flesh, barely even humanoid in shape, surrounded by corpses.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #451 on: June 13, 2012, 08:48:50 PM »
> Lay down some ranged knifing on the fleshy mass.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #452 on: June 18, 2012, 08:31:45 AM »
> Lay down some ranged knifing on the fleshy mass.

>Three knives phase into existance between your clenched fingers and you flick them out while diving behind another pillar for cover.
>To your satisfaction, the sound of three squishy impacts reach your ear. To your annoyance, it doesn't seem to have done anything. To your shock, a number of tendrils wrap reach around the pillar you're braced up against at a breakneck speed and barely miss you, wrapping around it before crushing it into pieces.
>The tremors of the room, no doubt from the loss of support, shake your feet.
>A quick glance at it while you take cover somewhere else confirms your thoughts. It's a mass of tentacles, really, in a vaguely humanoid shape. Your projectiles have embedded into it, yes, but there aren't any vitals to pierce. It's hardy enough that the knives were just deflected into the gaps.

>It's like some kind of demented Tangela, jeez.
>Damn, that doesn't leave you with a lot of options. Stabbing is your modus operandi, and this thing's more or less immune.
>Slashes...iffy. You'd have to get close, and that's pretty dangerous. You could time stop, but you're not quite sure when or if it'd actually bite it; if you gave yourself enough time to get away, then it might not kill it, and if you committed to a full assault, that might not kill it either and you'd be left vulnerable and on cooldown.
>Well, your item construction powers aren't limited to knives after all...

>You dive from the cover of one pillar to another, focusing on formation of your new projectiles...

>Search alternate timelines. Facilitate realization into this one. Form. Apply alternate conditions.
>A series of swords form in your wake, then fire off in quick succession. You sprout out from under cover, using the hail of larger blades as cover, with knife drawn and power infused within.
>If you can pull off the same energy slash trick you used against the High Lady...

>The larger projectiles prove worth it. The extra second it takes to deflect them gives you more than enough time to get in.
>You leap over it, flip, and release your attack.

>The wave of concentrated energy hits it like a train, pushing it into the ground with tremendous force. It lets out a terrible screech of pain, from where you do not know, as you land and skid across the floor, more knives flying at it with each moment.

>But you're unpleasantly surprised yet again when it manages to deflect your projectiles again, seemingly unharmed, and attacks you once more. You're forced to use a little extra to get out of the way.
>Dammit, this thing is tough...and that energy slash was more taxing than you figured it'd be.
>Your body is streamlined towards direct time manipulation, not round-a-bout methods like this. But said round-a-bout methods are the only means of heavy firepower you have; you're human after all.
>You tsk in annoyance. What to do, what to do...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:35:23 AM by Pearl.Amradillo »
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #453 on: June 18, 2012, 11:19:02 AM »
> Are there any rocky overhangs that we might be able to bring down on the monster?

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #454 on: July 01, 2012, 09:53:42 PM »
> Are there any rocky overhangs that we might be able to bring down on the monster?

>You scan the ceiling of the cavern, but even your quick glance is interrupted by another slew of attacks. Your assault seems to have aggravated the thing.
>Dammit, at this rate you're gonna tire yourself out before you even-

>"GOTCHA!"
>"Finally found you!"
>"-----------"

>Two projectiles, then a bilstering barrage of what you can only call magic missiles. You let out a sigh of relief. Seems like Svidri and company caught up.
>"You alright? Were down there for longer than I really was comfortable with," says the wolf-like lancer, pulling back one of said lances on what you can make out to be some kind of cord. Seems like he threw it.
>You sense the other two behind you and gasp, suddenly filled with a foreign but...relieving energy? You glance back to find Laksmi covered in a green glow that spreads out to you, with Felona notching another arrow.
>Healing magic. You smirk.
Sugoiiii~

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #455 on: July 01, 2012, 09:56:46 PM »
>"Thanks for the save you guys, that thing ended up dragging me down there when I was trying to head back to let you guys know about the pit."
>What sort of move do we have that'd be able to chip in and help take that thing down?
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #456 on: July 02, 2012, 02:03:05 AM »
>"Thanks for the save you guys, that thing ended up dragging me down there when I was trying to head back to let you guys know about the pit."
>What sort of move do we have that'd be able to chip in and help take that thing down?

>You clench a fist and fall into a stance. With Laksmi's pick-me-up...you feel absolutely fresh.
>"Any limitations on that trick, Laksmi?"
>She shakes her head. "It is a spell of equivalent exchange, but my own stamina is nearly limitless."
>Can't help but grin at that. Seems like Laksmi is the support-type. "Alright...I'm gonna let loose then."

>With this kind of backup...well...a double Buriallusion would be possible. You could try the energy slash thing again, or...well...
>You frown. Really not a whole lot you can do when it comes to the big guns.
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #457 on: July 02, 2012, 02:11:53 AM »
> Attempt a double Buriallusion then.  Let's take this sucker down.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #458 on: July 02, 2012, 11:08:27 PM »
> Attempt a double Buriallusion then.  Let's take this sucker down.

>You tap Svidri and give him a grin. "Go wild. I"ll keep you covered."
>His eyes widen at the sudden increase in power you infuse yourself with, then nods with a serious expression on his face. With a mighty war cry, he charges. Felona looses an arrow, while Laksmi keeps the spell up.
>You close your eyes for a second and focus. "Buriallusion: Phantomic Killer in Night Mist...Times Two."

>It's the same rush of power as before. With every fiber of your being infused with your own energy, everything slows down to a crawl. This is your everything.
>Three tendrils lash out at Svidri. One move to intercept the arrow, another two for Felona herself. Four snake around, trying to catch Laksmi offguard.
>You smirk ferally. If there's one benefit double Buriallusion has over Your World, it's that attacks can still happen while it's active. Attacks you can react to. And stop.

>Too slow. You blur into existance, cut down the offending appendages, blur away, and slash at it once with a tremendous wave of energy, making it scream once again.
>Before it can even begin to riposte, you're out of the way, watching for any new attacks. Svidri tears into it, spears flowing like a tidal wave, each blow causing tremendous damage. Felona's arrow hits the ground near the thing and explodes, showering it in shrapnel.
>More attacks begin, but you've already cut them down. Spear thrusts and swings. Arrows fly around it, ravaging it with flak. This, making sure your allies can do what they need to do, you can do.

>Svidri slams one of his spears into the thing and leaps backwards. You blink at the sudden lack of support from Laksmi, turn the Buriallusion
off, and look back.

>"------------------" Laksmi chants in a language you can't comprehend. Magic swarms around her. It's only then that you realise that Felona's arrows have impaled a sort of circle around the beast...and the spear is the central focus?
>"----------!" The air is suddenly charged with energy. Lightning descends from nowhere, crashing into the thing like the hammer of an angered god. It lets out a scream, a single piercing note, and is then silent.
>You breathe, body aching. Even with the support, double Buriallusion is still dangerous. You feel like jelly...but you're not nearly as bad off as you were last time you turned it off.

>Svridri retrieves his spear and grins. "Alright, perfect performance! Thanks for the cover there, Mac! Went off without a hitch."
>You smile back, but can't help but be curious. Is that what magic is like here?
>You wonder if you should ask.

>You also get the nagging feeling this isn't the end of this particular adventure.
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #459 on: July 02, 2012, 11:38:27 PM »
> "Fweh.  That took a bit out of me."
> Take some deep breaths and head onwards.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #460 on: July 03, 2012, 10:21:05 PM »
> "Fweh.  That took a bit out of me."
> Take some deep breaths and head onwards.

>Taxing. Definitely taxing. But you...you can get used to it. If a muscle is broken down, it reforms stronger than before. That's how the human body works. Just practice and it'll get better. Hurt less. Break less.
>Hell, maybe you could pop a triple Buriallusion some time.
>You catch your breath. "Alright. Let's move on?"

>Svidri gives you an odd look, along with the two. "Wha? I thought that was it?"
>You shake your head. "No. Not nearly. There's...still something. I can feel it."
>He raises an eyebrow. "You sure?"
>A nod. "Very."
>He shrugs, twirls his spear, and relaxes a bit. "Alright. Let's try and find some kind of way to get deeper...we gotta find an exit anyway."

>There's debris, rotten wood, all sorts of refuse. Looking is going to be a bit of a pain...but you have a bit of an advantage.
Sugoiiii~

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #461 on: July 03, 2012, 10:24:35 PM »
>Alright, let's use our 'advantage' to search then.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #462 on: July 21, 2012, 02:06:34 PM »
>Alright, let's use our 'advantage' to search then.

>Time stops.
>You scan around, using your improved senses to find some sort of hidden door. There's none at first glance, but your instincts are rarely wrong, and you can't shake the feeling that something else is going on here.
>It's somewhere...ah!
>You grin at the sight. A bunch of vines have grown over it, obscuring it further, but this is definitely a traphole.
>Time
resumes.

>"Found it," you say simply. Sooner you get into this, the sooner you can get out.
>"Wait, what the-?" Svidri exlaims. You blink. Why does he seem-oh. "How'd you get over there? Didn't even feel you move!"
>Oh shit.
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #463 on: July 21, 2012, 02:47:42 PM »
> We move fairly quietly right?
> Sheepish grin.
> "Heh sorry.  People tend to do that a lot since I like to move quietly."

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #464 on: July 28, 2012, 04:37:54 AM »
> We move fairly quietly right?
> Sheepish grin.
> "Heh sorry.  People tend to do that a lot since I like to move quietly."

>"Dude, really? Even if your signature is really small, abnormally so, I can tell you didn't move. Not gradually anyway. Like I said, I didn't even feel you move!"
>Fuck. The thought completely slipped your mind. Everyone here has senses, like you, and your signal suddenly appearing in one place when you were very clearly in another...fuck, goddammit.
>Right. You could come clean here or try to fib out.
Sugoiiii~

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #465 on: July 28, 2012, 10:38:22 AM »
>Grin. "Let's just say it's an ability I have."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #466 on: August 08, 2012, 01:30:11 AM »
>Grin. "Let's just say it's an ability I have."

>You try to keep cool, but it's a little forced.
>Svidri narrows his eyes at you, thinks for a moment...then shrugs. "Alright. I'll believe you."
>An inward sigh of relief escapes you. "Why the sudden suspicion?" you quip.
>"Nothin', just a hunch. Where's this then?"
>"Traphole over here..."

>....

>A bit of spelunking later, and a few traps to boot (using time stop to find traps and make it look like you just noticed them while you walked along is working), you come at a dilemna.
>Three tunnels. One seems to be dug out, seperate from the architecture of the place. Another continues seamlessly from the path you've been taking, and the last is nothing more than a hole to pitch darkness.
>"Right," Svidri says, frowning. "I'd say we go straight ahead, but that hole and the other way look kinda suspicious."
Sugoiiii~

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #467 on: August 08, 2012, 01:36:01 AM »
>Chuckle a little. "Well, I can scout them out easily enough. After all, that's why you guys brought a guy like me along. So which one you guys want me to case out first?"
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #468 on: August 16, 2012, 08:45:28 AM »
>Chuckle a little. "Well, I can scout them out easily enough. After all, that's why you guys brought a guy like me along. So which one you guys want me to case out first?"

>Svidri frowns at that. "The thing is, last time we let you scout things out you ended up falling down here. Might be more traps like that."
>He has a point. Even when you didn't bother exploring further, you still got dragged down; literally. Before you can voice anything though, he sighs and gestures off to the rest of the corridor.
>"Scout out that one, be back here in five. There's enough space for us to set up a rest spot, I guess."
>You nod and head off.

>...

>This thing has been extending for a while. You've been jogging, with sporadic usages of time stop to check your surroundings, for almost three minutes of actual time now? More like five if you add all the extra seconds...
>You frown. Nothing has changed. Only darkness both ways, can't even see where Svidri and company are anymore.
>Something's up.
Sugoiiii~

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #469 on: August 16, 2012, 08:53:40 AM »
>Hmm....Timestop, and work our way back.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #470 on: August 16, 2012, 03:26:47 PM »
> Agreed.
> While we're at it, keep cautious just in case.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #471 on: August 22, 2012, 03:36:11 AM »

>You pull the trigger, painting the world in greyscale, and head backwards.
>Something holds you back. Not anything solid, more...viscous. Like a membrane. You push through, and
time resumes.
>The sudden jarring shift back to real time staggers you as you fall through the threshold, back into view of the others.
>Nothing has ever interrupted your powers before, or forcefully disconnected you from them. This is a first. A scary first.
>"Woah! What happened?"

>You stare at the tunnel. Perhaps it's best if you didn't go there yet.
Sugoiiii~

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #472 on: August 22, 2012, 03:46:29 AM »
>"Tch...Something interfered with my abilities on the way back. Never had anything like that happen before. Felt like a membrane, all jarring and gooey."
>"I think we should avoid that tunnel for the time being."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #473 on: August 22, 2012, 04:32:20 AM »
>"Tch...Something interfered with my abilities on the way back. Never had anything like that happen before. Felt like a membrane, all jarring and gooey."
>"I think we should avoid that tunnel for the time being."

>Laksmi frowns and looks in the same direction. "I'll begin examinations."
>Svidri rubs the back of his head with a scowl and sighs. "Right then. Laksmi will cover that...I'd say head down there. Avoid the hole for now," he says, pointing towards the other passage. You nod.

>...

>So far nothing. Just more tunnel.
>Wait, is that a glow? At the end.
>You walk up to it and narrow your eyes at the sight. The tunnel's come to an end after roughly 100 meters by your estimates, and now there's a pedastal surrounded by a shallow pool of water, fed into by a trickle above and drained away by another small hole. It's roughly as wide as your outstretched hand, comes up to your waste, and is tilted 45 degrees towards you. It's divided into four panels, with glowing sigils atop them.
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #474 on: August 22, 2012, 01:20:25 PM »
> Take stock of the rest of the room to make sure there're no obvious traps.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #475 on: August 24, 2012, 12:35:48 AM »
> Take stock of the rest of the room to make sure there're no obvious traps.

>There's certainly power stored here, and...possibly linked to something? The threshold from before? But you can't identify any real traps.
>Of course, an explosion from a storage error is a trap all its own...if you're going to do anything here, you'd best be careful.
>Perhaps you may want to explore the last hole before you tamper with this.
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #476 on: August 24, 2012, 03:09:31 AM »
> "You guys wanna go and check the last one too?  Not really sure it might be a good idea to tamper with this stuff."

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #477 on: August 24, 2012, 03:20:37 AM »
> "You guys wanna go and check the last one too?  Not really sure it might be a good idea to tamper with this stuff."

>You return to the group and relay your findings, as well as your thoughts.
>"I'll go take a looksie at that panel thing," Felona says. Laksmi is still examining the threshold. Svidri frowns, but sighs and nods.
>"We don't got a lot of sure options. Go for it."
>You nod and head on in.

>...

>The hole is narrow, but wide enough and smooth enough for you to slide down at a steady pace. It's a bit like a laundry chute...climbing back up is gonna be a pain.
>You hit something, which gives away, and land in a crouch.
>Very much like a laundry chute, you notice, watching the paneled exit slap shut.
>It's really dark, a little too dark to see...the smell is horrendous. It's like something died in here.
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #478 on: August 24, 2012, 02:51:10 PM »
> Well crap.
> Keep snooping around carefully.  Don't want to get screwed over like whoever or whatever the smell belongs to.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #479 on: September 03, 2012, 12:10:04 AM »
> Well crap.
> Keep snooping around carefully.  Don't want to get screwed over like whoever or whatever the smell belongs to.

>Keep low, breathe quietly, start stalking. Don't get caught out, don't get opened up.
>Your eyes adjust, soon enough.
>You narrow your eyes at the sight, then raise an eyebrow.
>A treasure chest, an honest to gods treasure chest, like lifted-straight-from-an-rpg treasure chest.
>And a pile of bones and various bits of rotten meat surrounding it, almost a meter high at the lowest and more than two at the highest.

>If that isn't the most obvious trap you've seen...
Sugoiiii~