Author Topic: [Art] Just drawing stuff  (Read 29982 times)

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
Re: [Art] Just drawing stuff
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2013, 03:08:06 AM »
A couple heads
Well I am not good at ear drawing, generally I throw the hair over to not show it :V

Anyway for me the ears in this picture looks "flat". Try to imagine the head as a cube. If you attach an ear to this cube and rotate it, the ear must rotate too. In your drawing it seems that you are looking the ear directly from its side ( something like the "I" blue ear at the top of the following drawing). In this drawing I tried to draw an ear pointing to the right place (maybe it is wrong too, idk :V)

My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2013, 08:21:27 AM »
@Pwn'd Crow:

Please explain in further detail about the satori. I get what else you said.

I think that it's because in the manga/anime style, the proportions become less exaggerated the more 'realistic'/'complex' you draw. Which is to say that for your style, the proportions (the shoulder width, to be precise) are a bit too realistic.
With your style, I'd say the edges of the shoulders should be around the edges of your puffy hair, give or take a bit. The edges of the face then matching up more or less with the width of the torso
Maybe something a bit more like this:
[attach=1]
Otherwise, everything is well drawn, I think.
Maybe the sleeves could use a bit more. Though I'm not that good at creases myself, if you're going to bend the clothes around the arm when you lift it up, creases form near the elbows where you scrunch them up.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2013, 09:35:57 AM »
If I took apart the elements that made Satori up, they're all fine. Once you start adding them to each other, something seems off. And like what Nia said, it's the shoulders that's doing just that: they're too wide for her head. (Or the head is too small for the shoulders. w/e)

Crow's Dumping Ground of Art

"So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring, because my faith is on solid rock; I am counting on God."

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2013, 10:06:16 PM »
@Kaze_Senshi: Hm, I'll mull over what you said some more. Maybe even use my own ears as reference next time :P

@Pwn'd Crow and Nia: i think I see what you mean, but I'll be making that torso width a stylistic choice of mine. After all, a bunch of other artists draw torsos at similar width yet they look great, so if I just improve enough, I'll reach a level where the way I draw them looks correct enough. I'll keep in mind about the shoulders, tho.

Also, some practice on basic stuff:

Hand palm shapes. Spent hours staring at my own hand and looking at other renderings, hehe.
Some cups.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2013, 08:09:14 AM »
An orange is not a circle.

@Pwn'd Crow and Nia: i think I see what you mean, but I'll be making that torso width a stylistic choice of mine. After all, a bunch of other artists draw torsos at similar width yet they look great, so if I just improve enough, I'll reach a level where the way I draw them looks correct enough.
Wrong. Style is a way of representing a scene. Like, say, novels and schoolbooks are ways of representing history.
Writing both books, you must know what happened in their time and place. Drawing shoulders, you must know their exact shape.
Contour method, which I recommended to you earlier, is just a way to build sufficient knowledge of studied shape.
Also, rumours say, Picasso was painting like a god. He could draw near a photographic image of anything, and, using this great skill, developed his own style which now is sold by sums of scale of some countries' GDP.

Do I need to say my opinion is subjective?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:30:28 AM by Delfigamer »

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Teewee

« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2013, 09:05:28 AM »
I don't really get what you said, sorry. ^^; Which contour method did you recommend, again? And, I wasn't even trying to draw an orange. Also, what about my style made it seem like realistically-proportioned shoulders and torsos made my pic look odd? Just curious.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2013, 09:46:13 AM »
I don't really get what you said, sorry. ^^; Which contour method did you recommend, again?
Recommendations
  • Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain  by Betty Edwards
And, I wasn't even trying to draw an orange.
Metaphor.
Also, what about my style made it seem like realistically-proportioned shoulders and torsos made my pic look odd? Just curious.
realistically-proportioned
Wikipedia NSFW, but a good reference picture.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Teewee

Tidal keeps drawing stuff
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2013, 09:40:16 PM »
Boy, it's been a while. And, continuing from my last topic, I've still been drawing, practicing, and generally using what I have at my disposal to increase the pace of my improvement.

An OC.

Some gestures.

As always, feedback is appreciated! Every now and then I stream my drawings, so I'll be announcing it here every now and then, I guess. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be doing life stuff :V

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!
  • TRIGGER WARNING : #2handsome5casuls
Re: Tidal keeps drawing stuff
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2013, 09:52:42 PM »
but why did you make a new topic
Distasteful Tater Elites 1st division

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2013, 10:01:44 PM »
Probably because the site told him the last thread was several weeks old.
Just so you know Espeon, art threads are generally one of the few things that are okay to revive. Maybe we can get this merged?

Also the gestures link isn't working for me.

Teewee

« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2013, 10:06:22 PM »
@vento: it's the website thing

@Hawflakes: Heres an alternative link to the gestures thing. Also, duly noted.

Teewee

« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2013, 06:52:58 PM »
Currently streaming at the moment.

Done. Thank you to those who attended!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 09:39:09 PM by Honest Espeon »

Teewee

« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
Lately, I've been doing a lot more drills than actual drawings :/ Here's one; got a crapton more. Also, I'm happy with how this turned out, flawed as it is :) It took about 2 hours and 40 minutes.

Yes I know the design is weird :V

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2013, 12:19:31 AM »
Oh I see some improvement on your upper torso. I think that now you should focus on fixing the proportion between upper body and lower body. Generally the legs are bigger than the trunk. I like to use something like 3 heads size for trunk and 4 heads size for legs.
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Teewee

« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2013, 01:15:55 AM »
Hm, I'll think some on that, and thanks for the assurance that I'm improving :) But, what if I want to draw someone of teenage or child height? How does the whole "for adults, trunk is 4 heads tall and legs are 4 heads tall" rule change? Not that I don't have my own ways of drawing people in those heights, but I'd like to hear some input.

Excuse me if I misunderstood anything you said xD
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 10:30:44 PM by Honest Espeon »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2013, 01:49:30 AM »
Relevant link >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoteny

You don't need to read all, just look the first disturbing picture and you'll see how our body grows up while we get old.
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2013, 10:21:21 AM »
Looking at the first links(too many links, didn't bother to check every link).

I think the best way to improve is to copy one's anatomical style, and either slightly change it, or fully adapt to it.
I've copy various styles and did a mix-up my own. PS: Endling's style is seriously wicked.

Also if I may point out, the anatomy of your drawings are unproportional(and so are 75% of Pixiv Users). If you just look at simple anatomy's, or even yourself. You should be able to realize small faults(like the size of the shoulders of men are broader than the hips, opposite to that of women, or the fact that arms are supposed to be shorter than legs). I never realize I was doing so many wrongs back then until I did some looking myself.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Teewee

« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2013, 09:08:48 PM »
@Kaze_Senshi: From what I see, the younger a character is, the shorter their lower halves are in comparison to their top halves, which also indicates where the crotch line goes. I guess that explains why lolis are drawn with such short legs :p I'll look again at another time and see if I can glean anything else from it.

@En: Using another's anatomical style as reference is a good idea (been applying it by trying to learn from several artists styles), so thanks for reinforcing the idea. Though what do you mean by "simple anatomies" that I can observe to fix my small art faults? As a side note, I'm not yet near as good as over 90% of pixiv artists, so it feels kinda weird to be compared to them ^^; Not complaining, mind you.

Thanks for the feedback!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 10:30:03 PM by Honest Espeon »

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2013, 05:18:42 AM »
Though what do you mean by "simple anatomies" that I can observe to fix my small art faults? As a side note, I'm not yet near as good as over 90% of pixiv artists, so it feels kinda weird to be compared to them ^^; Not complaining, mind you.
A simple anatomy's anatomy(yes this is possessive). Look at your body, look at anyone's decent body. You should get an idea how and what a body should look like.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Teewee

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2013, 11:48:06 AM »
In that case, nice to see I'm on the right track :P

Teewee

« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2013, 04:11:08 PM »
Been a while since I've updated the thread. Well, what better way to update than to show some stuff I drew :P

A friend's request

Tried designing a dress. Turned out ok.

Looks like someone confessed to Tenshi!

Also did slightly over 100 gestures, as so:

Set 1
Set 2
Set 3
Set 4 - my earliest attempts
Set 5
Set 6
Set 7

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2013, 01:57:42 AM »
Improvement improvement :)

I think that you could be more careful with some proportions, there are some drawings where you do some slips like drawing the eyes a bit lower, big hands or drawing the head too small when compared with the body.

BTW you should train how to draw men too to see the differences between the genders.
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Teewee

« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2013, 06:17:22 AM »
Thanks!

I'm always careful, and still make mistakes :P but ok.

I probably will sometime.

Teewee

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2014, 07:52:56 PM »
So, I'm about to stream me working on a Valentine's pic in a few mins. NSFW, tho.

Do excuse me, though, if I don't answer your chat messages; I'm probably either away or just too focused in drawing.

Edit: stream over.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:54:46 PM by TEspeon »