Author Topic: Art tips thread!  (Read 35395 times)

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
Re: Art tips thread!
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 10:13:04 PM »
The forum only lets me post one image attachment, otherwise it bugs out. But I'll try to keep from that.

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 10:19:55 PM »
Ah sorry, I didn't realise.

Someone, anyone, please aid me with frills! I suck at drawing them consistently.
Congregation of Impertinent Drama Queens.

Art threadLivestream | Pixiv

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 10:56:13 PM »
Incidentally, I have some of those...
Some folds and stuff too, disregard Sakuya, this was a help drawing for someone.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 03:10:07 AM »
I'm not exactly a part of this, but man, Ragathol! These pictures are amazingly helpful!

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 04:42:04 AM »
Sounds nice. Though its probably better to have that in its own thread, so those who just want to improve on drawing don't have to look through so many posts to find what they're looking for.
Done! (mostly for the musicians so they don't have to sift through all these drawing posts)

Some folds and stuff too, disregard Sakuya, this was a help drawing for someone.
Your tutorial pics are damn nice. I'm printing a copy of them for my own illustration endeavours!

The forum only lets me post one image attachment, otherwise it bugs out. But I'll try to keep from that.
Quite odd....
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

pineyappled

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2011, 04:44:46 AM »
Tespeon and EP, do you upload your art anywhere?

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2011, 01:26:53 PM »
This right here is going to be a great help in getting me to drawing frills right.

Because fuck those things. They are the devil, but every Touhou has them so I gotta learn sometime. In anycase, thanks for postin' this.

Hory sheet, and the others too!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:35:03 PM by Touji Suwagata »
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 02:55:22 PM »
you could try looking at your own feet. getting a mirror will help with the bits you can't easily see

unless you're a double leg amputee in which case sorry

oh hey aroyoD how you doing
are you really the same Doyora? or are you one of the poosh clones they send to infiltrate us?>

Ah sorry, I didn't realise.

Someone, anyone, please aid me with frills! I suck at drawing them consistently.

I think I can help, in words...

My way to drawing frills is easy, I draw the skirt first, and add frills to the unfinished bottom.
My mainstay is that frills should be natural, or overly pleated... so far my art seem to lean to the latter, my frills are apparently all pleated and I basically zig-zag along the underline and create two zig zag strips, this way you are looking at one frilly line which is (outside), and the other which is (inside), now you erase the parts you don't want and keep the parts you want. You frills would look much more... frilly if you connect between these two in selected spaces, so to make it look like the frill is folded upward and downwards, naturally...
filling the colors for the frills however can be hell if you do too much of it.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2011, 03:08:47 PM »
I think I can help, in words...

My way to drawing frills is easy, I draw the skirt first, and add frills to the unfinished bottom.
My mainstay is that frills should be natural, or overly pleated... so far my art seem to lean to the latter, my frills are apparently all pleated and I basically zig-zag along the underline and create two zig zag strips, this way you are looking at one frilly line which is (outside), and the other which is (inside), now you erase the parts you don't want and keep the parts you want. You frills would look much more... frilly if you connect between these two in selected spaces, so to make it look like the frill is folded upward and downwards, naturally...
filling the colors for the frills however can be hell if you do too much of it.

Oh wow, never thought of doing it that way, thanks a bunch!

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2011, 07:37:20 PM »
Tespeon and EP, do you upload your art anywhere?
I upload it to imageshack.

how interested are you in actualy improving your art? is it just something you do for fun because you cant think of anything better, or is it something you'd make a serious commitment to?

I can try and give you advice but it's hard to point out what you could improve without seeing any of your art (and I cant find any when i searched your posts)
Its something I'd make a serious commitment to, due to various personal reasons. Its also something I'd like to enjoy as a hobby, so I can have fun without any electronics. And silly me for not showing my art earlier for feedback, hehe ^^;
I'll show some of my art when I redraw it on tablet, since my camera quality isn't so good. Though I do have these old pictures of my old sketches I took with the camera.

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2011, 09:07:43 PM »
I started drawing dragons because I loved dragons and I drew nothing else but dragons and Godzilla since I was 5 (I'm 17 now lol). I only started drawing manga style two years ago because I watched Higurashi and thought it was epic.
Yeah, growing up I drew pretty much exclusively dinosaurs, dragons, and other reptilian creatures, never anything vaguely  humanoid. This came to bite me in high school when people were what I wanted to draw most. I still can't do it, I can barely get away with chibis

but let me know if you ever need a dinosaur to be drawn

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 09:11:24 PM »
Let's be mythical/extinct reptile drawing buddies!

Doyora

• this space is avaliable for hire
  • call 0800 TWO-WHO for more information
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2011, 01:12:47 AM »
oh hey aroyoD how you doing
are you really the same Doyora? or are you one of the poosh clones they send to infiltrate us?>

real me. I have nothing to do with pooshlmer anymore
who are you

@tespeon
you should get some understanding of anatomy. use google to find basic anatomical reference, and try copying the poses provided here: http://www.posemaniacs.com/
even if you want to draw anime style stuff, learning this kind of thing if you want to do it well is essential.
when it comes to pirating touhou games, I'm blackbeard

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2011, 03:31:01 AM »
You use to be find me posting as Mariya Shidou on there or 4chan.
and yeah
Let's be mythical/extinct reptile drawing buddies!

I draw ugly gruesome things that look quite like but not really dragons... I imagine snakes, god I love drawing snakes.
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2011, 04:32:13 AM »
@tespeon
you should get some understanding of anatomy. use google to find basic anatomical reference, and try copying the poses provided here: http://www.posemaniacs.com/
even if you want to draw anime style stuff, learning this kind of thing if you want to do it well is essential.

+1. Everything, everything--composition, lines, shading--comes from fundamentals. That is, the ability to visualize and understand an object in 3D.

Source is Andrew Loomis. Highly recommended--just going through Fun With a Pencil (not just reading, but doing the exercises) has been ridiculously helpful for me.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2011, 10:17:36 AM »
on a fun note, I learned anatomy by drawing my dad (who used to have a six pack, not so obvious now) who walks around with no shirt on.
hence... my earlier works seem mostly on transforming men into girls...
never am one for details on these fundamental things, maybe that is why I suck when it comes to really drawing something... that's why, while you have the chance, get learned with true anatomy etc.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 10:24:12 AM by ♛ 禁断の夢双 »

Teewee

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2011, 07:51:56 PM »
Thanks for the advice, guys. And I have been trying out books like that, but I'll try that one by andrew loomis again since you guys recommend it...

AF: too bad I never get that chance.

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2011, 11:06:12 PM »
Okay, I got one.

I find it very difficult to keep to just one project, as I tend to detail everything quite highly due to my art style being semi-realistic I find myself coming up with new ideas right in the middle of a project, start on the fresh one and just forget about the other one, no matter how good it might be. Often I'll tell myself that I'll get back to it, but when I do I just don't have the motivation to continue with it. I am like this with fanfics too. Any tips to staying on track?

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2011, 12:48:33 AM »
I try my best to finish things in one sitting, since I totally have this problem as well :v
The proper answer is Blood, Guts and Tears and Bloody Well Do It.

Quad City QBs

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2011, 05:31:02 AM »
If anyone's still curious about frills, I demonstrate my technique on video about 50 minutes in. If you don't mind the bondage. And Space Jam.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2011, 08:16:08 AM »
Thanks for the advice Ragathol, but my pictures are too big to do in one sitting. I'm sure I can still apply the attitude though. :V

If you don't mind the bondage. And Space Jam.

What are you talking about? This is the best combination!

I'm interested to know what screen capture software you're using for this too. :3

Quad City QBs

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2011, 12:47:55 PM »
I'm interested to know what screen capture software you're using for this too. :3

Livestream Procaster. It's pretty flaky and gobbles up CPU/RAM like a motherfucker, but the price is right.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2011, 07:40:41 AM »
If anyone's still curious about frills, I demonstrate my technique on video about 50 minutes in. If you don't mind the bondage. And Space Jam.
you are my hero Maullar.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2011, 07:42:31 AM »
Any tips on drawing body profiles? I can't seem to get the shoulder blades to look right and the chests are too small :/
imo, the boobs are always 2 times larger than the head and you really should use circles to mark out how big your shoulders should be... if that is what you are asking. (boobs can be shrunken with relative sizing as you go and erasers will be most likely your friend)

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2011, 08:48:46 AM »
imo, the boobs are always 2 times larger than the head

*Looks down*
Wait what?

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2011, 11:32:51 AM »
*Looks down*
Wait what?

I know right? Mine are at least five times the size of my head,

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2011, 12:44:08 PM »
Any tips on drawing body profiles? I can't seem to get the shoulder blades to look right and the chests are too small :/

Something like this. The collarbones only stick out a little, and the shoulder blades should be pretty angular.

Teewee

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2011, 12:29:25 AM »
I'd appreciate some feedback on this incomplete sketch of tenshi's dress. I still need more practice with my tablet, hehe... http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/803/dresspractice.png/

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2011, 06:58:04 AM »
I'd appreciate some feedback on this incomplete sketch of tenshi's dress. I still need more practice with my tablet, hehe... http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/803/dresspractice.png/
I think it's looking alright so far. The folds and creases are a bit over the place though, the buttons down the middle are a little bit off center and the shoulder parts are too connected to the body, they need something like a crease in between them to make it look more natural.

I need some tips on hair and how to make my hair flow, I can't seem to get it right.
Also I need to learn how to relax my hand so I can draw lighter lines (though this could come with some more practice).

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2011, 10:01:08 AM »
I need some tips on hair and how to make my hair flow, I can't seem to get it right.
Also I need to learn how to relax my hand so I can draw lighter lines (though this could come with some more practice).

It depend how you want to do hair, you can see how I sketch it out here although I haven't got into colouring it or anything yet.