Author Topic: A little help editing EoSD files  (Read 5209 times)

A little help editing EoSD files
« on: August 09, 2010, 04:50:50 AM »
Well... I'm working in the translation of the game to another language, but I'm not here because the main troubles what usually have the people who try this (well i readed like 3 Pages of the forum and don't got any like my problem)

So, guiding me by the epic Drakes Project's post, i got remake the dialogs (hardly because the limitation of the space), the endings (same issue) and the tittle of the stages. But because i wanna make one complete translation, I'm stuck in one... well... for some people careless part.

I wanna edit the menu also. The Start, extra, replay, options, and stuff  things.

I got the "files" from the main packet th06e_TL.DAT but all what i got was .PNG files with the images and the .anm files.

As the logic of one new on this rule, i tried to modify directly the .PNG files... was a fail and the game crashed...

So, i tried modify the .anm files, but i don't got how to do it, so i maked one research and that file "takes" the images inside of one .PNG images and make one little animation with those individually. I got one edittor but don't worked obviously.

I searched and tried with anmtopng.exe but just shown one message about the version of the file, but don't giving me any new file to edit.

So i was asking myself... someone have one idea about how do this?

Any help will be of help. Thanks!!!

Drake

Re: A little help editing EoSD files
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 05:02:28 AM »
You can actually use the English patch as a means to replace images in EoSD. Make a folder in the EoSD directory called replace_files, then put the new images in that folder (in png, if you want). Just make sure they're named the same as when they're extracted, and running the English patch should replace the images in the necessary th06e_XX.dat file. There is another more direct method, but I find this way much easier.

Props to you for attempting a translation!

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 05:32:23 AM »
I got semi-edit the words but seem like left me one more layer, because just takes the pre-definied space of the letters.
I mean.. i wanna write something like "Inicio" instead of Start. I make the images and stuff, i use the patcher, but when run the game, it show my modifies, but just in the space of the word Start (in this example). Any way to change that? I think what is about the .anm file because i modified the 3 layers of the words (color, gray and white) but seem not be enough :(
The "not-so easier" way is too much difficult?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:50:22 AM by alphonse03 »

Drake

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 05:50:41 AM »
The other way would be taking the images, compiling them into multiple anm files, then using datpacker to build the dat files manually. I could try helping you in PM, but not too sure if it'll work properly, since if it doesn't work immediately you need to trial-and-error for a while, and trial-and-error is much harder when you're trying to figuring out what someone else's problem is without being there.

EDIT: Hang on. Not entirely sure what you mean in this last post.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:52:25 AM by Drake »

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 05:58:27 AM »
this happen:

maybe just left me take the png files and build the .anm file. I tried with the thinspng but i dont get how to use it correctly

edit:
I got make the changes. I revised all the files and i had one wrong name. So i changed it and fixed the issue. Now im "Centering" The images because they are a bit out of way, but thats easier.

Thanks for the help :D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 06:04:40 AM by alphonse03 »

Drake

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 06:31:51 AM »
Oh, ok. A file messed up so the alpha channel was still working as "Start". Do you know exactly how the image format works though? As in, having both images for an RGB channel and an alpha channel and what they do; just so there aren't any problems in the future.

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 02:59:49 PM »
yea, now i understand at all how they works  :V
now I just could like know... exist some way of "extend" the dialog lenght? I mean, I know what thats near to impossible making it with the HEX editor, but any other way? If other way dont exist, no problem, because I just cutted some careless parts in the text, but if exist one way I could like know it  :D