Author Topic: JoJo's Bizarre Grail War Part 2 - A Fate/Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 219670 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
JoJo's Bizarre Grail War Part 2 - A Fate/Z-Machine Adventure
« on: August 26, 2017, 12:50:13 AM »
>You are Lily Humboldt!  Magus of Calumet City and a Master in a very unusual Grail War.
>Your Servant is Robin Hood -AHEM- Robin Wood, who is of the Archer Class. The two of you have gotten along well so far. You have met or at least heard of several other Servants in the Calumet City thus far, which is curious because as near as you can tell, the Grail is actually someplace in Delaware. That it's even on this continent is strange enough... Your servant has encountered Berserker, and the two of you decided to leave him be. You have had a battle with Rider; who turned out to be Henry Ford under the command of none other than Charles Koch; and came out victorious. More distressingly, you have also met Assassin, whom you have identified as Gavrilo Princip. He took to killing Charles himself, employing a Noble Phantasm that apparently strikes at the world order itself.
>Thankfully, the police didn't batter down your door last night as you slept, and even more thankfully Assassin is nowhere to be seen. You now go through breakfast and learning the horrible news as the world reacts to the violent death of a highly politicized and influential billionaire.

>"Well, I could probably spend all day trying to explain the politics behind that one, but let's just say that a lot of rich people have managed to convince the middle class that they're on their side - that the supposedly lazy poor are the real drain on the system, that the wealthy would be able to help everyone better if only the government would just let them be even richer, and then of course there's always immigrants and minorities to pin the blame for things on. Really, I'm not sure it even matters who's correct when enough people are agitated like this. Like, I could honestly see riots coming out of this at some point...."

>Can we see any news relating to the wrecked Model-T or a police report involving a car trying to run down civilians?

>"The more things change, huh?" says Archer. "Well, I guess we did have actual invaders sometimes..."
>You eventually find some reports of this in local papers; buried well under all the Koch drama. The Model T has been found, and poses a great mystery, especially the odd arrows found on the scene. Your 911 call is noted, but luckily there don't seem to be any identifying traces. The death of the patrol officer is mentioned, apparently due to some kind of mutilation. There's already some theorycrafting in the comments linking these two things in a very conspiracy theory sort of way. You suppose that's accurate, upon reflection. Others are bemoaning that WEST CHICAGO VIOLENCE is coming to Calumet City. Hmmm...supposedly there is one talking head on CNN who has mentioned the police officer slaying and Koch's assassination together. That may get traction.

>_

Re: JoJo's Bizarre Grail War Part 2 - A Fate/Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 12:58:06 AM »
>Fortunately, even if those two things become connected in the public consciousness, we seem to be blissfully unassociated with any of it. Hopefully it stays that way.
>"I kinda wish there was something I could do to calm the rumor-mills a little before things get too explosive, but what exactly could I even tell anyone? I'm not about to shed any tears for Koch, but I don't want to see other people getting killed over this either."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 01:05:57 AM »
>Fortunately, even if those two things become connected in the public consciousness, we seem to be blissfully unassociated with any of it. Hopefully it stays that way.
>"I kinda wish there was something I could do to calm the rumor-mills a little before things get too explosive, but what exactly could I even tell anyone? I'm not about to shed any tears for Koch, but I don't want to see other people getting killed over this either."

>No one seems to be accusing anyone like you, at least. Well, not directly.
>"I don't know what to tell you," says Archer. "I'm coming to grips with the idea this is spreading so fast! In my mind, it should take weeks or months for this all to travel. Is there even anything that could be done?"

>_

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 01:18:10 AM »
>"Well, being able to give the police the actual culprit would probably help if that wasn't impossible. I mean, a specific person to blame at least takes unrelated groups out of the line of fire and might satisfy those people who feel they need to make a show of their authority by doing something. I mean, maybe Assassin's master turns out to be a repugnant person and maybe we end up capturing him at some point and then maybe he can take the fall for the actions he condoned. 'Maybe, maybe, maybe'."
>Sigh
>"The thing of it is, I really might have done it myself. I mean, given the order for you to kill him. I guess we'll never know for sure now, but it was close. Would I have wanted to turn myself in this morning, if I saw all this happening? I mean... no, right? The guy was awful and he's definitely indirectly responsible for a lot of people dying. And yet this... Why must politics always be so complicated?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 01:33:33 AM »
>"Well, being able to give the police the actual culprit would probably help if that wasn't impossible. I mean, a specific person to blame at least takes unrelated groups out of the line of fire and might satisfy those people who feel they need to make a show of their authority by doing something. I mean, maybe Assassin's master turns out to be a repugnant person and maybe we end up capturing him at some point and then maybe he can take the fall for the actions he condoned. 'Maybe, maybe, maybe'."
>Sigh
>"The thing of it is, I really might have done it myself. I mean, given the order for you to kill him. I guess we'll never know for sure now, but it was close. Would I have wanted to turn myself in this morning, if I saw all this happening? I mean... no, right? The guy was awful and he's definitely indirectly responsible for a lot of people dying. And yet this... Why must politics always be so complicated?"

>"Usually someone out of Gaul," says Archer. "That's how it tends to work."

>_

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 01:42:03 AM »
>"What do you mean?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 01:49:27 AM »
>"What do you mean?"

>"That's what made it complicated for us, at least," says Archer. "Bad enough when you have a dozen of a dozen nobs filling the room with their own farts, then you have whoever was in control of Gaul at the moment looking to cause problems. Even worse with their nobs and our nobs were intermarried."

>_

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 01:59:27 AM »
>"Well, the US doesn't need to worry about being invaded by anyone, at least; we are the dominant world power. But that doesn't mean it's always a good deal for everyone who lives here. I mean, it's a lot better than a lot of the world! But if you ask me, we're far too rich to have so many people be so poor and people like Koch are definitely emblematic of the problem."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 02:08:26 AM »
>"Well, the US doesn't need to worry about being invaded by anyone, at least; we are the dominant world power. But that doesn't mean it's always a good deal for everyone who lives here. I mean, it's a lot better than a lot of the world! But if you ask me, we're far too rich to have so many people be so poor and people like Koch are definitely emblematic of the problem."

>"Yeah, but even the Romans had to live with their neighbors," says Archer. "Well, except for when they made that wall up north."

>_

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 02:21:11 AM »
>"Moreso than the Romans ever were. But you're not wrong, of course. If it's not about armies, then it's about imports and exports and all the stuff that keeps the world running."

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 03:12:51 AM »
Anyway! What's the plan for today? I totally forget what we were doing when we ran afoul of berserker.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 03:16:44 AM »
>"Moreso than the Romans ever were. But you're not wrong, of course. If it's not about armies, then it's about imports and exports and all the stuff that keeps the world running."

>"Yeah, a city like this would need a lot of stuff," says Archer as she kicks her feet up.

>_

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 03:29:48 AM »
>"Would you believe this is actually a small city by the standards of the world these days? New York City has like... 200 times as many people as this place."

And the plan originally was to go on a road trip towards where we sensed the grail, which is like a 12 hour drive east. I totally didn't expect to find other masters here first, though, and that does technically give us a reason to stick around instead of going after the grail (as I'm not even sure what good it does us if the other masters are still in play), but possibly we ought to leave anyway? Perhaps Berserker and Assassin will take care of each other for us if we're out of the picture? (Not that we'd be so lucky)

Actually...

>What good would it do to be at the site of the grail if there's still other masters out and about elsewhere in the country? Do we know?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 04:17:39 AM »
>"Would you believe this is actually a small city by the standards of the world these days? New York City has like... 200 times as many people as this place."
>What good would it do to be at the site of the grail if there's still other masters out and about elsewhere in the country? Do we know?

>"I don't think you're using real numbers," says Archer.
>The main advantage would be the knowledge they are all going to have to pass through there eventually. As well, there is probably a lot of good in getting yourself acquainted with the terrain. Also, if you are in Delaware, you are probably not in Calumet City, which means it's less likely someone recognizes you from the whirlwind that is growing around the death of Charles Koch.

>_

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 04:35:34 AM »
>"I am, though. New York City's got, what, like eight and a half million people living there?"
>If we've finished breakfast, let's start packing anything else we might need for the trip - a few changes of clothing, our magic supplies, our tube-of-crystalline-gold-in-a-sock.....
>And make a few more Wall stones while we're at it. Better to be oversupplied than ever risk running out.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 05:20:58 AM »
>"I am, though. New York City's got, what, like eight and a half million people living there?"
>If we've finished breakfast, let's start packing anything else we might need for the trip - a few changes of clothing, our magic supplies, our tube-of-crystalline-gold-in-a-sock.....
>And make a few more Wall stones while we're at it. Better to be oversupplied than ever risk running out.

>"Gods," she says.
>You finish up your cereal and start packing. Archer idly follows you around, serving as an extra pair of hands. Until she gets her hands on your phone and walks off with it. You warn her that it is delicate, she tells you she knows. It takes a pair of socks to cover the tube, one from each end, to cover the tube. But it certainly looks a lot more mundane now. You are able to pack relatively quickly, filling up a suitcase with clothing and toiletries.
>How many stones are a few stones? You went out last night with 7 of them, and used a few.

>_

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 05:30:00 AM »
>Let's make it so we have an even dozen

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2017, 05:36:40 AM »
>Let's make it so we have an even dozen

>You retreat to the lab and make some more. The good news is you have a decent jar of workable rocks, and you're getting really good at writing a trio of three Hebrew letters.  Soon you have yourself an even dozen ready to go once they dry a little.

>_

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2017, 05:55:45 AM »
>If there's any other packing we have to do, let's finish it up while these dry
>Though out of curiosity, aside from this preventing them from smudging during transit, would they still be magically usable in their current form, even before they dry?
>For that matter, are suitable rocks specific and hard to come by, or could we make some new ones in Delaware from stuff we could scavenge from a beach or something?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2017, 06:02:42 AM »
>If there's any other packing we have to do, let's finish it up while these dry
>Though out of curiosity, aside from this preventing them from smudging during transit, would they still be magically usable in their current form, even before they dry?
>For that matter, are suitable rocks specific and hard to come by, or could we make some new ones in Delaware from stuff we could scavenge from a beach or something?

>You find a backpack for the mana battery while leaving them to dry. You find that Archer has taken over the couch again, and is still dicking with your phone.
>They don't need to be dry to be usable, it just helps.
>The rocks are not hard to find, it's just nice to have some good ones onhand.
>Will you be packing anything else?

>_

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2017, 06:33:01 AM »
>Make sure we take some travelling food and cash. Can we think of any other obviously useful things to have on a road trip or a magical battle which we currently possess and have not already explicitly taken?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2017, 06:52:16 AM »
>Make sure we take some travelling food and cash. Can we think of any other obviously useful things to have on a road trip or a magical battle which we currently possess and have not already explicitly taken?

>You have both, or at least a debit card.
>Can you think of anything useful? You aren't missing anything completely critical, at least. Beyond that, it may be fuzzy.

>_
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 07:32:14 AM by Purji Costavis »

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 07:34:59 AM »
>Then let's go back out to Archer
>"Well, I think I've packed everything. Everything I can think of, anyway."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2017, 07:41:03 AM »
>Then let's go back out to Archer
>"Well, I think I've packed everything. Everything I can think of, anyway."

>Archer has still maintained her spot on the couch with your phone.
>"That's good," she says.  not looking up."Bringing anything interesting that I need to know about?"

>_

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2017, 07:51:08 AM »
>"Probably not. Mostly just regular travelling stuff - food, money, clothes, etc. - along with reagents for my magic, that artifact, the stuff we picked up at the store yesterday...."

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2017, 07:53:04 AM »
>"You seem to be engrossed in my phone, Archer. What's going on?"
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2017, 07:56:29 AM »
>"Probably not. Mostly just regular travelling stuff - food, money, clothes, etc. - along with reagents for my magic, that artifact, the stuff we picked up at the store yesterday...."

>"Okay, sounds easy enough," she says. "Just wanted to know if there was something else rare and valuable in there, like some of your magic junk."

>"You seem to be engrossed in my phone, Archer. What's going on?"

>"Just looking up some things on my own," she says. "You made it look easy enough."

>_

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2017, 07:57:41 AM »
>Peek over her shoulder.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2017, 07:59:08 AM »
>Peek over her shoulder.

>Unfortunately, your couch is against the wall. Oh well, not like she's going to think to clear out her history. Probably.

>_

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2017, 08:28:36 AM »
>"Well, some of my 'magic junk' is at least a little valuable, but it certainly wouldn't look that way to an ordinary person."
>"Anyway, I think I'm basically ready to go if you are. Put a nice distance between this investigation and us, get a bit closer to the grail, and with any luck Berserker and Assassin will take care of each other on their own."
>"...not that I'm counting on luck."