Author Topic: Touhou Project 16.5 「Secret Sealing Nightmare Diary ~ Violet Detector」  (Read 106997 times)

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
:( Why he gotta drag the Hifuus like this
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

CyberAngel

• Retired
Because imagine you're making a fantasy world that you can throw anything into, and you have people saying they prefer a bunch of personality-less mouthpieces from a "real" one that don't even interact with the rest of the cast at all.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
Wasn't that the other way way around? N-Forza worded it like ZUN was disappointed that Sealing Club fans were actually disinterested in learning their backstories further.

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
Oh, that reading makes more sense.

Clearly I should not be reading ZUN news 20 minutes after waking up on a work day. <_<
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
It takes him around three hours (interspersed with drinking) to draw a character, but a month or two to fully flesh out their backgrounds.
No way this is a general case, is it ? Cuz I cannot possibly be expected to believe that the likes of Nemuno, the LoLK moon bunnies and most of DDC's cast would demand that much time to come up with

I'd almost swear the necessary time is switched up there but that would just be being mean

PK

• Border of Whatever
I doubt it's a whole month either. At least not for just the backstory.

Now, if "backstory" here means literally everything about a character that isn't actually drawing their portrait (Like actual backstory, naming sense, species, appearance, personality, if and how that species fit in the story or in the world as a whole, spell card names and themes, patterns, abilities, possible connections to the other new characters and the rest of the cast, what they can do in future appearances, what their boss theme should sound like, what their introduction implies in general, researching mythologic stuff about them, etc), then i could believe that it can take a while.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
i wonder how many times i've teled in the wrong direction or not at all in this game

i hate raccoon birds

i hate skull bass drums

why am i playing at 12 am

so how long have you guys played this game

Mighty interesting it takes a month to flesh out a character. Yes, might include lore, but there's also theme, personality, bullet patterns and their difficulties, name, stage, etc
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

CrestedPeak9

• Fangame Advocate
spoilers for final day
https://imgur.com/LZn3YUj

game took less than an hour to beat can i have a refund

Seriously though, this game is pretty short. There's a Japanese run of VD that took less than 45 minutes real-time.
Speedrunning VD is kinda fun I guess. It's basically the only way I can play VD now.
Lunatic 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS, WBaWC

7TC7

• In best company

Took me a little over 12 and a half hours for full clear, so you seem to be on a similar course.

And I too hated raccoon birds. For Raiko and her drums just ... dodge and never shoot. At least most of them time.
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

25 hours to clear all scenes. I guess I'm pretty slow.

Tenshi+Kaguya took me the most attempts, followed by Hecatia's first scene.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 12:52:53 AM by niektory »

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
I full cleared in about 4 hours, and probably could've done it faster if I realised that the fast charge existed before I had only 3 scenes left and didn't try and no teleport clear every scene up until it was 100% necessary to use it for Junko's scene.

This game is a nightmare.. teleportation is such an oblique chain of button presses. :derp:
check http://vsoft.life/ for runs & creations
latest stream: Hollow Song of Birds Hard 1cc (OrangeReimu) @ https://youtu.be/eDFd4FHEjXg

::)

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
Hey, upload whatever you want. It's not like ZUN has control over Twitch or YouTube. He's only a drunken programmer. Go nuts.

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
I think the eye-rolling is more at the fact that they couldn't be bothered to update the game title.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
Please note that we prohibit streaming or uploading video footage of "Touhou Tenkuushou ~ Hidden Star in Four Seasons." featuring the following:

.   Any replaying of music through the Music Room

All other gameplay footage may be freely used.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 03:41:52 PM by Suspicious person »

Drake

why do people have to be so dumb about this

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Hey, upload whatever you want. It's not like ZUN has control over Twitch or YouTube. He's only a drunken programmer. Go nuts.

I was mostly referencing the fact that they didn't even change to the proper title in the description :V

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
oh lol, sorry about that. Too used to entitled edgelords I guess.

PK

• Border of Whatever
The next Foreign Creators magazine will feature not a special CD but a separate booklet with "surprising" contents. He'll reveal more during his next Youtube broadcast on the 29th.
Anything about this in the end?

vd's got a release date on steam now

Drake

Gesh86

• Buddha may forgive you...
  • but Byakuren won't!
Re: Touhou Project 16.5 「Secret Sealing Nightmare Diary ~ Violet Detector」
« Reply #202 on: September 06, 2018, 05:49:54 PM »
Our thread here prepared me a little that Violet Detector may be far from the best game ZUN has ever made. I was still pretty shocked and baffled when I saw the lukewarm reception on the shop page. Mid-sixty % of positive reviews is pretty low for Steam's standards and even most Touhou fangames currently do better than that. Main points of contention seem to be awkward teleporting (for anyone who didn't patch) as well as the gratuitous recycling of old patterns.

I've played only for a couple of minutes, so it's too early for me to vouch for the opposite. I don't hate it...yet. And it's a photo game after all. I liked all of those before.

I'll try and stay positive.  :(

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #203 on: September 06, 2018, 07:09:00 PM »
Main points of contention seem to be awkward teleporting (for anyone who didn't patch) as well as the gratuitous recycling of old patterns.

Well to be fair there are very specific frames Drake laid out for teleporting, and the fact you need 3 inputs for teleporting. There are times where I want to teleport, but either I have to move at the last second and teleport regardless, or I manage to press the direction key for less than the 5 frames needed and not teleport at all.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Drake

« Reply #204 on: September 06, 2018, 07:35:55 PM »
The majority of the negative reviews are from China, and most of those are from people with low play times, suggesting they've played the game previously. I doubt the complaints about the game are any different than anywhere else but there might be a specific group simply more willing to give negative reviews as a form of complaint. Those reviews are also going to go up quickly and bring down the average right off the bat before reviews from Steam players trickle in, and there definitely wasn't the same review bombardment from fans that occurred with HSiFS.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 07:40:11 PM by Drake »

« Reply #205 on: September 06, 2018, 08:00:25 PM »
The teleport controls are definitely suboptimal, but when you know how they work you get (mostly) used to them eventually. I would recommend not using the teleport mod unless you absolutely can't stand playing the game without it, as it's very crude and has its own problems. First, it removes the delays making the teleport super-spammable and messing up the balance. Second, it makes diagonal teleporting unreliable unless you start moving in that direction before pressing the teleport key.

Another problem with the controls is the sudden speed change after you fully charge the camera with Shift+X, it has cost me many lives.

Also scoring is somewhat opaque. You get all these photo tags but no indication how they modify the score, unlike the previous games.

Pattern recycling didn't bother me that much. I might feel that way because it's been a while since I played most of the games they've been lifted from. There's also recycling of a different kind in the nightmare week. I don't think the gimmick was a bad idea, but many of the combined patterns ended up not really balanced, so yeah, it does feel like ZUN should've spent more time on some of them.

As for the music, I like most of it, but I feel the wrong week's track (Lunatic Dreamer) is a bit too noisy.

Despite some problems I've had a lot of fun with the game. It could be better, but it's still good.

« Reply #206 on: September 07, 2018, 09:37:57 PM »
Sales(?) seem to be way worse too for it. I hope this doesn't disencourage ZUN on future Steam releases.

« Reply #207 on: September 07, 2018, 09:42:28 PM »
Let's really hope that the chinese people don't screw the pooch, and more people purchase the game so we can give our support to ZUN. That's why I was willing to wait for the Steam release when it got released.

I'm still in Wrong Monday, 2/4 scenes finished. I'm trying to do my best on finishing all the spells.

Drake

« Reply #208 on: September 07, 2018, 10:07:59 PM »
I don't think that's a problem. ZUN releases on Steam pretty much specifically for the overseas audience's convenience. The fact that people are buying the game at all is justification for it; there being negative reviews isn't exclusive to players overseas nor is it relevant to ZUN selling it on the platform.

« Reply #209 on: September 08, 2018, 06:12:32 AM »
I don't think that's a problem. ZUN releases on Steam pretty much specifically for the overseas audience's convenience. The fact that people are buying the game at all is justification for it; there being negative reviews isn't exclusive to players overseas nor is it relevant to ZUN selling it on the platform.

Well this isn't about the negative reviews, and more about general sales seemingly being bad compared to aocf/16