Author Topic: 15th Annual Touhou Project Popularity Poll  (Read 21347 times)

Drake

15th Annual Touhou Project Popularity Poll
« on: January 28, 2019, 06:57:07 AM »
15th Annual Touhou Project Popularity Contest

http://toho-vote.info/

The Touhou Project Popularity Poll, held by the Japanese Touhou Wiki for over a decade, is a poll open to fans around the globe to vote on their favorite characters and music throughout the Touhou series. Voting is open!

You will need to obtain a voting ID by submitting your email address to the site; you will receive an email with your voting ID included, and when completing any poll you will need to enter this voting ID. There is only one voting ID allowed per person.

Site Translation

http://drakeirving.github.io/touhoudict

Touhoudict is a tool I wrote that translates things on the poll to help english-speaking fans vote. This year I've turned it into a userscript you can install that automatically translates all of the voting options in every poll, along with the questionnaire, and some other pages on the website like the voting ID request page.

With this, people should be able to navigate the relevant parts of the site and vote without worries.

FAQ

General

Q. Can I vote from my cell phone?
A. You can vote, but support for phones is not guaranteed. If errors occur such that you cannot vote, please vote from a different location, such as a net cafe or a friend's PC, instead.

Q. Do I need to fill out the comment field?
A. Filling out the comment field isn't necessary.

Q. I don't want to fill out all the spots for votes.
A. Vote for as many as you would like, then leave the others unselected.

Q. Can people outside Japan vote?
A. Yes.

Q. Will it be okay if I vote from the same computer as my siblings, etc.?
A. While it's impossible to say with 100% certainty that your votes won't be mistakenly judged to be duplicate votes, if you include the voting reason in the comment, it should be fine.

Q. I have no choice but to vote using a free e-mail address; will it be all right if I fill out the comment field properly?
A. As long as it's not a duplicate vote, there won't be any problem.
Note: Recently there has been a surge in votes from one-time-use emails. In case using one is unavoidable they will not be prohibited, but please be aware that there is a higher likelihood that these may be marked as duplicates or invalid votes.

Q. What is the maximum number of characters allowed for comments at voting time?
A. 200 full-width characters (or 400 ASCII characters.)

Q. My voting ID email never arrived.
A. It can sometimes take time for the ID to reach the listed email. Also, if you do any mail filtering (even if done automatically through your email service), it may fail to arrive. Please whitelist the domains "@thwiki.info" (for ID requests) and "gmail.com" (for enquiries) so all such emails can go through (if gmail is not whitelisted, even if you make an enquiry, replies may not arrive).
If more than a day has passed, you can resubmit the Voting ID form using the same email. If you've done all these steps and still don't receive the email, please contact us using the Contact Form or through Twitter.

Character Poll

Q. Can I vote for Lily Black?
A. She is included as the "Lily White" option. (Note: In the "Kare Radio" broadcast on Aug 21, 2010, ZUN commented that Lily White and Lily Black are the same character.)

Q. Can I vote for Rin Satsuki?
A. As a character which does not officially exist, she will not be included.

Q. There's no option for the character I want to vote for...
A. As Seihou characters, Uwabami Breakers characters, and ZUN are not characters that have appeared in the Touhou series, they will not be included.
In addition, inanimate objects (Yin-Yang orbs, gameplay items, etc) except for the Shanghai Doll and UFOs will not be included.

Q. Story of Eastern Wonderland's Stage 1 midboss and Stage 3 boss are inanimate objects, so I can understand why they're not included, but can't I vote for other PC-98 midbosses?
A. As of the 14th contest they can be voted for.

Q. Regarding the fairy mooks, will there be separate options for fairy maids, etc?
A. Characters without proper names will be included in the options named after their race.

Q. Can I vote for the girl on the Dolls in Pseudo Paradise cover/label?
A. As of the 13th contest they can be voted for.

Music Poll

Q. How will votes for arrangements of original songs appearing on the music CDs be handled?
A. Arrangements will be displayed as separate items on the voting screen, but votes for the arrangements and their original songs will be counted together during vote totaling. Please vote for the arrangement you like the most. You cannot vote for both the original song and the arrangement, but the counts of which songs were voted for will be included in the results (e.g., see the detailed results from a previous contest).

How are you treating the cases like "Love-coloured Magic" and "Love-coloured Master Spark"?
A: Please refer to the list of arrangements which will be counted together.

Q. Aren't "Bloom Nobly, Ink-Black Cherry Blossoms ~ Border of Life" and "Border of Life" different arrangements of the same song?
A. In this poll, they are treated as different songs.

Questionnaire

Q. Regarding the voter survey questions on game clear status, aren't frame drop rates going to be included?
A. We do not intend to go into such strict level of detail.

Other

Q. Are there any plans to include a Spell Card poll?
A. For the time being it will not be implemented.

Q. Can I use pictures I've drawn on Pixiv, etc. as publicity images?
A. Publicity is welcome. Using the hashtags "#toho_vote15" and "第15回東方Project人気投票" is recommended. Participants can also put links to these works in the Cheering page to show their support.

Previous Threads

8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 07:34:03 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
Re: 15th Annual Touhou Project Popularity Poll
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 01:49:07 PM »
Participated! My interests revolve mostly around the early Windows games, so that's where my character (Patchouli forever) and music votes went. Can't ever get enough of these old tunes.

I'd love to see The Young Descendant of Tepes on a higher place than usual this time. Granted, it's just a short appetizer for the main course,  but it does what it does extremely well.
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 02:13:32 PM »
I can't believe I didn't notice until now that they stopped making the yukkuri joke in 2012. :(
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Maribel Hearn

• TD scorer
    • Portal
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 02:27:03 PM »
As per usual, I will also separately publish a single page with the English results in sortable tables, over at https://maribelhearn.com/thvote, both for the preliminary and the final results once they are announced.

Unfortunately it seems that this will be the last time THWiki is hosting the poll; the toho-wiki Twitter account announced that they can no longer continue due to busy staff. However, there is a Chinese initiative (https://touhou.vote/) willing to replace it, and they will also offer localisations, so translation will no longer be needed starting 2020, assuming that project will actually take off.

The toho-wiki tweet: https://twitter.com/toho_wiki/status/1060136182636437505
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 10:58:02 AM by Maribel Hearn »

Drake

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 03:18:02 PM »
That's both unfortunate and good news. Hopefully it works out and pulls enough people.

Unrelatedly I fixed a bug where it didn't work in Chrome because Chrome decided to not behave like it says it should behave.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 02:51:36 AM »
I was able to get the character one filled out but I was too lazy to go over the music one and figure out which ones which X3

Maribel Hearn

• TD scorer
    • Portal
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 05:44:12 PM »
English translated 2019 poll results: https://maribelhearn.com/thvote
Source: http://toho-vote.info/

The questionnaire, comments and detailed character stats are to be released at a later date, as they always do.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 10:54:13 AM by Maribel Hearn »

Drake

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 06:05:06 PM »
youmu has defeated koishi

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 08:58:06 PM »
Any idea where to find the data of last poll? I mean stuff like the number of total voters, i wanted to see how much we dropped this time, but thwiki doesn't have it for the 2018 poll.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 10:01:00 PM »
Koishi knocked out of third, Aya still Top 10, and Miko AND Futo above all Buddhists? A very successful year.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Maribel Hearn

• TD scorer
    • Portal
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 10:27:19 PM »
Any idea where to find the data of last poll? I mean stuff like the number of total voters, i wanted to see how much we dropped this time, but thwiki doesn't have it for the 2018 poll.

That's a great suggestion; I'm going to re-add that data to my /thvote page so people can see that. I'm also still going to add additional statistics like music totals by game and similar overall stuff.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 07:31:38 AM »
So we're back at classic 1-2-3 huh. Reimu, the eternal Queen.

Also Junko's theme really seems to stick onto people? From 7th to 3rd.

youmu has defeated koishi
There is nothing she cannot cut down.

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 11:46:42 AM »
Youmu is now the best Touhou character. This is confirmed because we all know Reimu and Marisa probably just cheated and stole their way to the top respectively. Congrats! Youki would be so proud! I'm sure Lady Yuyuko will give her the weekend off as a reward! Hazzah!
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 01:14:53 PM »
My favourite Touhou character is Karisa Mirisame, but she was nowhere to be found on the list. So unfortunate.

It's worth noting that Cirno's theme is rapidly rising, going from 31 to 25 in just two years. Soon, the strongest shall claim her rightful place and top the list!
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

R. P. Genocraft

• Craftsman of absolute unpredictability
  • Boundary of productive and lazy
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 02:09:25 PM »
My favourite Touhou character is Karisa Mirisame, but she was nowhere to be found on the list. So unfortunate.
Dude she's in second place, wtf you talking about?

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 04:38:49 PM »
It's worth noting that Cirno's theme is rapidly rising, going from 31 to 25 in just two years. Soon, the strongest shall claim her rightful place and top the list!

Cirno herself did quite a jump this time, interestingly enough. Are Fairy Wars 2 speculations a thing in Japan too, I wonder?

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2019, 07:42:14 PM »
Unfortunately, participation continues to decline; 24k votes for characters, 18k for music, 14k for works.  Compare this to the 13th poll which was 37k, 28k, and 21k votes respectively.  (I couldn't find all info for the 14th poll, from which I can tell 30k votes for characters were made.)

I didn't vote this year because I just wasn't all that interested in it.

Gesh86

• Buddha may forgive you...
  • but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2019, 07:55:06 PM »
Dang it, I'm a day late for voting out of no other reason than scatterbrained-ness  :(. Hina is 3 points behind Orin. Is a number 1 vote worth more than a single point? I'm wondering if I would have flipped those two had I been on time.
Probably not  :wat:

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2019, 08:08:18 PM »
Looks like I unfortunately missed this one. Ah well, at least Youmu went up to 3rd place.
heyo

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
  • Everything will be daijoubu... hopefully
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 09:55:05 PM »
The pebble is sinking! Of course there was no way it would simply float after skipping it along.
Despite the appearance and inclusion of other fairies in print works, the greatest continues to climb! Daiyousei will get there yet!

GenericArrangements

• The Monthly Ghost of the Art Atelier
  • i do the music thing (!?)
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2019, 11:24:56 AM »
Happy to see Joon and Cirno rise up in the ranks! (i didn't vote for them but i think it's still great)

Happy to see a little variety with Youmu snagging third place! (i still like koishi though)

Happy to see the fortune teller drop! (seriously it's just annoying)

very unhappy seeing the utter disrespect that mamizou gets like seriously guys she's relevant and cool but people aren't giving her the votes that she rightfully deserves as a prominent and interesting character in the modern wor-

W-we'll get 'em next time, Doremy fans...
Please read my posts as if I'm not taking them too seriously.

i did a lunatic 1cc of MoF once and i'm happy enough with just that