Author Topic: Touhou Project 16.5 「Secret Sealing Nightmare Diary ~ Violet Detector」  (Read 107016 times)

Drake

Get it on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/924650/__Violet_Detector/

https://kourindou.exblog.jp/27419239/

It's been a while. ZUN here.

Man, it's really hot. We all need to be seriously careful about heat stroke.
In this kind of summer, I've confined myself to cooping up inside and playing games, so I've made a little game to sell at Summer Comiket.

Touhou Project 16.5
  Secret Sealing Nightmare Diary ~ Violet Detector.

It's a game where Sumireko Usami, the high school girl that can only come to Gensokyo in her dreams, experiences some particularly strange dreams.

The aim of the game is to take pictures of psychic powers and danmaku to post onto social networks for glory, with systems that should feel very reminiscent of Shoot the Bullet, and yet somehow there's a kind of an ominous story in there, so while you can play without a care it's turning into something you can really sink your teeth into.

It's planned to be sold at Summer Comiket on August 10 (Friday) at booth 東シー15a Shanghai Alice Gengakudan.
Now let's see about the fate of Sumireko Usami.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 12:16:01 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Gravure Model Photoshoot session by Sumireko.

This blessing from ZUN is too much for me. I'll have to rip my wallet again this summer.

Gah, releasing during Otakon. Oh well, looks really fun. Cant wait to play!
Normal 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK
Hard 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
Lunatic 1CC's - PCB, IN, PoFV
Extra Clears - EoSD (+Ultra), PCB (+Phantasm), IN (+Ultra), PoFV, MoF, DDC
Youtube

Good to see some more photoshooting action again... Now we only need a new Phantasmagoria as a main game.
Blog updated: 14.11.2011
Twitter

Drake

Other things in here:

使用可能な超能力 Usable Psychic Powers
Lv1 バレットキャンセル Bullet Cancel
Lv2 テレポーテーション Teleportation
Lv3 テレフォトグラフィー Telephotography

この写真を見た回数 Number of views
👍イイッすね! Likes
❤️お気に入り! Favorites
総合評価点 Overall Score
The picture bonuses seem to be hashtags as well lol

Sumireko's bullets are her zener cards with stars on them.

Aunn's Spell Card is 独楽「コマ犬大回転」 Spinning Top "Big Komainu Spin"
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 09:00:56 PM by Drake »

PapilLionesskort

• "Perfectly Immoral Moral Person"
  • Pretty much just lurking innocently
I am extremely excited for this!  :] It's only 21 days!
Write or fight, same thing. You might as well come out swinging either way.<3 Just not too hard, as that's no fun.

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
Very excited to learn more about Sumireko's dynamic between Gensokyo and the Outside World.
Also I never thought I'd see the day when there's a Touhou game revolving around social media in some way, your photos are seemingly graded on likes and favourites lmao.
Would definitely be interested in seeing how this story plays out, I imagine this game is one that could prove to have some very deep lore implications hidden in things.

Hmmm.... I couldn't help but notice that all of the screenshots are from LoLK or HSiFS. Combined with the day thing saying "Wednesday" instead of "Day 3" or whatever, I wonder how long this'll be. If it has items like in ISC, which it seems to going by Drake's "psychic powers" thing, it might have more replayability than a standard StB though.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Really exciting stuff! Is this the announcement this tweet (https://twitter.com/_nyogi/status/1019130356392341504) was talking about?

Sumi really feels like ZUN's "hello fellow kids" character but something about it is awfully charming.

Im assuming no comments about Steam from ZUN's side have been made yet? Given the amazing reception of 16 (and frankly, the fantastic sales) I'd hope for it not to be a one-off.

Drake

Hmmm.... I couldn't help but notice that all of the screenshots are from LoLK or HSiFS.
Well those are the new characters.

If it has items like in ISC, which it seems to going by Drake's "psychic powers" thing, it might have more replayability than a standard StB though.
My thoughts are that
1) The HUD has no indication of her active powers, which suggests to me you might be able to use them all in varying circumstances.
2) Unlike tengu cameras, Sumireko's phone shouldn't need to recharge, but it also shouldn't be able to cancel bullets, hence her needing bullet cancel and teleport powers
3) All the photos are the same size and include Sumireko in the same way, so you can't focus in like tengu cameras; the substitute for this would be telephotography

Really exciting stuff! Is this the announcement this tweet (https://twitter.com/_nyogi/status/1019130356392341504) was talking about?
Clearly. Given it was literally yesterday he was probably given the ok to post the hint just before to hype.

Sumi really feels like ZUN's "hello fellow kids" character but something about it is awfully charming.
Honestly I think Sumireko is literally the opposite, rather being ZUN giving his take on youth and rampant cynicism among other things.

Im assuming no comments about Steam from ZUN's side have been made yet? Given the amazing reception of 16 (and frankly, the fantastic sales) I'd hope for it not to be a one-off.
Nikenme will very likely hold the answers.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 09:17:46 AM by Drake »

I wonder what kind of ominous tones the story will have.  Then again Sumireko posting Gensokyo's pictures on the internet would make people start believing in it.  Isn't the fact people DON'T believe in Gensokyo's stuff the thing that keeps it alive and going?

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
Sumireko is my favorite tengu reporter

Fulisha of Light

• Also known as Felis-Licht
  • Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
Probably unlikely, but I'm hoping ZUN introduces a new character like Double Spoiler did just to shake some things up a little.

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
Hai guyz

Considering that StB had Suika
and DS had Iku and best girl
This could be a chance for ZUN to finally introduce the new gen fighting girls into a proper danmaku title

Is my touhou theorys good

Well, it would be fascinating what kind of danmaku Yorigami sisters would do... Also will there be multiple bosses on screen.
Blog updated: 14.11.2011
Twitter

☆ Kana ☆

• Vanishing Dream
  • Lost Dream
    • lololololo tungle
 :o :o :o

Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh??? Official Hifuu game??? This doesn't feel real but like at the same time it is and aaaaaaa~ <3

The social media-esque elements to score mechanics (and well, the main premise of the game really, lol) are amusing me so much, from the announcement text and screenshots alone it's already a game that totally screams "this is from Sumireko's point-of-view, this is entirely her adventure".

Oooh, if the HSiFS crew are gonna appear in this one, that means Kokoro, Kasen, and Yorigami sisters have got a decent chance of showing up too~! Super exciting~!

inb4 Kosuzu finally gets her game debut here :V
Dream a dream so grand...that it becomes a nightmare.

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
Seems promising, can't wait for more.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
大回転
Giant Slalom
There are real handy tools like "context" and "actual Japanese dictionaries" that will help you avoid stuff like this.

<3
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 11:27:27 AM by N-Forza »

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
Given this news, I would be tremendously amused if it came out that the alleged Ki-san insert was actually Sumi and not Aya or Mamzoop.

Also ZUN-drawn Sumi is cute as heck (and as delightfully chuuni as ever what are you even doing with that hand)
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

PyuDi

• daily touhou~
  • danmakufu!
whoa - didn't expected it! am contributing to wiki article

Hm...with all these arc character and Sumi going to the moon...I suspect that Sumi isn't in actual Gensokyo but instead the Dream World (if so, Smug Santa when?), and is experiencing Groundhog Day Syndrome, in which she encounter the same situation again and again.

Edit: Or else she's reliving the event of the previous game.

Edit 2: Also, instead of" returning to main menu", it's "return to Dream Diary", and instead of next game, it's "next Dream". Aside from the fact that Yume Nikki is a name synominous with a creepy game, this really does feel like she's digging deeper and deeper into Gensokyo's dream.

Edit 3: And with this game being a Shoot a bullet and Double Spoiler, this is definitively ZUN's way of saying how social media have become news in the internet.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 02:03:24 PM by andykhang »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
I had no idea I needed a Sumireko game in my life until now lol

But yeah, this actually looks really interesting! The social media angle makes perfect sense for someone from the Outside World lol, and of course we get more of a look into her powers - I'm wondering if there's gonna be a bit of an ISC influence as well with those extra powers alongside a camera. Can't wait to find out more!
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

CyberAngel

• Retired
On one hand, not-Renko looks like your run-of-the-mill Touhou knockoff fangame character. On the other, that adds another meta layer of hilarity.

Regardless, I'm not a huge fan of side-games, but I definitely look forward to some more sassy comments.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
I could not be happier to see another photog game, and with several twists at that. I welcome the inclusion of these characters, too.

Holy crap this is awesome.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
There is already some good art appearing of Sumireko and her smart phone:

Like this Overwatch parody featuring Sumireko as D.VA http://memefo.tumblr.com/post/176052889026/touhou-165-is-coming

The animation from Overwatch is here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKh_EPteWJw
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 07:54:54 PM by Helepolis »

Drake

There are real handy tools like "context" and "actual Japanese dictionaries" that will help you avoid stuff like this.

<3
Actually I figured it was specifically Slalom and not Big Komainu Spin or something because of how the danmaku looked, I didn't just pluck it out of thin air, but I could see how you'd think that. EDIT: I definitely just ignored the whole "spinning top" part because I was super tired and slalom fit the picture lol.

Given this news, I would be tremendously amused if it came out that the alleged Ki-san insert was actually Sumi and not Aya or Mamzoop.
in before every new character with a slightly odd amount of coverage is the new ki-san insert
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 09:07:29 PM by Drake »

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
in before every new character with a slightly odd amount of coverage is the new ki-san insert

Oh, I know. I don't actually care about the whole thing. But I would find it amusing that, instead of the speedy suave tengu or the clever mastermind tanuki, it's the dumbass chuuni brat. Like, that is something I would absolutely do to my fiancee for a laugh.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

My thoughts are that
1) The HUD has no indication of her active powers, which suggests to me you might be able to use them all in varying circumstances.
2) Unlike tengu cameras, Sumireko's phone shouldn't need to recharge, but it also shouldn't be able to cancel bullets, hence her needing bullet cancel and teleport powers
3) All the photos are the same size and include Sumireko in the same way, so you can't focus in like tengu cameras; the substitute for this would be telephotography
Interesting mechanics. Looking forward to how it all works in-game.
whoops this was speculation.

I agree that the mechanics are gonna be a bit different from what we've seen in prior photo games, and I look forward to seeing how it all works in-game.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 03:56:47 AM by shockdude »
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

AW it's been years since I've felt this excited for a new Touhou game! I love it!

춤추는 작은 까탈레나~