Author Topic: [Art] Just drawing stuff  (Read 29808 times)

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!
  • TRIGGER WARNING : #2handsome5casuls
Re: [Art] Just drawing stuff
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 02:51:26 PM »
dont run when you cant walk though
Distasteful Tater Elites 1st division

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 08:07:10 PM »
I'll watch and later mull over those videos, and see if that helps. As for "walking before running", I have started off trying out the basic stuff; I just never understood anything but the wire frame. And even then, my knowledge on that is sketchy ^^; But ofc, I'll keep trying with the resources I've been given.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:13:23 PM by Honest Espeon »

Teewee

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 08:21:09 PM »
Did some more stuff!
A bunch of heads, 3 of which have wavy hair.
Fun with cylinders and truncated cones!
Awkward first draft of a base fig for what'll end up as touhou fanart.
^ I know that the arms are too low (which I'll fix in the next ver). And, that the figure looks awkkard even otherwise. ^^;

Feedback would be appreciated! Especially on that wavy hair and figure :)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2013, 01:01:59 AM »
The ears shouldn't be so high up; they should be at the juncture of the back of the neck meeting the cranium. And one of those pictures has her opposite ear somehow visible from the other side, which shouldn't happen unless her ears move forward and not back.

The third one down is probably my favourite of those four. You're improving, keep it up~

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2013, 09:37:02 AM »
Fun with cylinders and truncated cones!
Hm, I'll recommend you to first draw parallelepipeds, and only then turn them into rounded shapes. That way you will be able to make more correct distortion of circles at ends.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Teewee

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 08:59:47 PM »
@Koishi Ruromeji: Understood, and thanks for the encouragement. As for the ear placement, the bottom of the ears is placed at this line?

@Delfigamer: I'll try that sometime.

Also, I've often been getting paralyzed while drawing; its that feeling of not knowing what to do next to draw, and a bunch of stuff that just feels horrible. How do I avoid this?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:19:28 PM by Honest Espeon »

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 09:58:54 PM »
That's what's known as Artist's Block. It's inevitable, it can't be avoided. You just have to get through it as best you can.

Teewee

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 10:09:12 PM »
Even though it makes it so I can't move forward with a drawing? o_o All right, then. Also, are there any art books that teach in an informal fashion, like Mike Dawson's Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner, or even a cracked article? the ones I've got confuse the heck out of me, and I've never been able to get much from them.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:11:56 PM by Honest Espeon »

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 10:24:47 PM »
@Koishi Ruromeji: Understood, and thanks for the encouragement. As for the ear placement, the bottom of the ears is placed at this line?
Yep! And if you draw crosses over faces while sketches, extend the eye line to the side and that's where the top of the ears will be.

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 10:29:14 PM »
Well, the methods of dealing with any kind of block vary from person to person and time to time. Often doing some really quick doodles to warm up can help, or simply taking a break for a little while.
As for art books, I really can't help you there, since I've never used any. of course the best thing is going to an actual art class if you can, even if not for long.

Teewee

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 10:53:39 PM »
@Koishi Ruromeji: Got it! The next bunch of heads will be drawn with that in mind.

@Desu Cake: That gave me some ideas, actually. I'll do as you suggested as well :) I'd love to go to an art class, but I don't got the resources to get one, so I guess I'll have to make do with the online stuff linked here before, hehe.

E: nvm forget that pic. what is up with me?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 12:37:46 AM by Honest Espeon »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2013, 11:14:34 PM »
Hmmm if you are feeling "blocked", try to draw something that you like (like girls eating cakes) or something that inspires you like a specific artist style or action. And if you think that it looks horrible, try to draw until the end and after some hours try to see your drawing and see what is wrong. I think that it is interesting  to do a redline of your own drawing to train your "artist eyes" :P
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Teewee

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2013, 05:29:42 PM »
I'm not good at drawing things in general, though. Except maybe eyes. And, I'm not good at seeing exactly what is wrong with my drawings until someone tells me. Oh, and I drew some more stuff.

Some feet.
More feet.
A gesture sketch.

Again, please be very specific in the advice. Sorry if I sounded redundant; something just told me I had to say it again. Also, where can I learn fundamentals?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:40:00 PM by Honest Espeon »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2013, 12:38:24 AM »
I don't know many things about feet, but I think that it lacks the depth feeling, I can't say where is the thumb and where is the little toe from some feet, the size of the toes are too equal. Try to copy some feet from a real pic.

About fundamentals I like this site:
http://hippie.nu/~unicorn/tut/xhtml/#basics-humananatomy-legs
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Delfigamer

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2013, 01:56:35 PM »
I have a feeling that the problem is not feet. It seems like Espeon doesn't work well with contours, be it foot, shoulder, pelvis or anything else. Thus, I'd recommend him to learn how to copy shapes well, to begin with.

Teewee

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2013, 09:47:51 AM »
@Kaze_Senshi: I'll try. Would feet drawn by a really good artist make a good substitute? Also, could you refer me to a less...confusing site? ^^; The way that one explains stuff is like I'm reading another language (to me, at least. My way of interpreting stuff is odd, hehe).

@Delfigamer: I think you're right; I've made very little progress all-around, considering I've been at this for about 5 years now :P. So, how would I go about copying shapes? Maybe link me to a tutorial?

I'll be working extra duty from now on; I'll be using nights that I can't sleep through as drawing time. Wish me luck ^^;

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2013, 10:40:21 AM »
If you're going to copy shapes, start with 2D before going 3D. You might want to start with drawing basic shapes like rectangles and circles, all of varying lengths and widths, over and over. Then do the same thing with 3D objects like prisms and spheres, again all of varying lengths, widths, and depths, over and over. BTW, shading usually comes after this step, and shading spheres - and anything for that matter - will be hard if you're not good with drawing contours and curves.

Crow's Dumping Ground of Art

"So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring, because my faith is on solid rock; I am counting on God."

Delfigamer

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2013, 12:07:58 PM »
If you're going to copy shapes, start with 2D before going 3D. You might want to start with drawing basic shapes like rectangles and circles, all of varying lengths and widths, over and over. Then do the same thing with 3D objects like prisms and spheres, again all of varying lengths, widths, and depths, over and over. BTW, shading usually comes after this step, and shading spheres - and anything for that matter - will be hard if you're not good with drawing contours and curves.
I wonder if he'll find enough prisms to do that.
You've got me wrong, I think. I was talking about copying complex shapes, like those formed by human body, rather than constructing simple ones.
@Delfigamer: I think you're right; I've made very little progress all-around, considering I've been at this for about 5 years now :P. So, how would I go about copying shapes? Maybe link me to a tutorial?
Recommendations
  • Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain  by Betty Edwards

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2013, 12:24:47 PM »
I wonder if he'll find enough prisms to do that.
You've got me wrong, I think. I was talking about copying complex shapes, like those formed by human body, rather than constructing simple ones.

Hmmm if you can't copy basic shapes like squares or circles you shouldn't be able to copy more complex shapes like spheres or parallelograms.

And about the recommendation request, I don't have other site to recommend for now because I like that site, sorry :(
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2013, 01:52:33 PM »
Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain
I highly recommend that book for learning perception for drawing, painting, pastel, whatever really.

Among other things, it teaches you about how to make and use blind contours (sketching an object without looking at your canvas/paper/screen at all) and contours (where that's allowed, and shading can be considered too).

Time spent doesn't make as much difference as how the time is spent.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Delfigamer

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2013, 02:34:36 PM »
Hmmm if you can't copy basic shapes like squares or circles you shouldn't be able to copy more complex shapes like spheres or parallelograms.
Awww crap I've just lost so wonderful inspiring speech typed here due to unintended refresh of the page. :( But it's so good that I'll retype it for you.
The skill that I am talking about isn't about reconstructing shapes from primitives. No, it's not about those famous draw-an-owl-from-circles technique. It is about lines.
That skill is an ability to see lines. Not shapes. Not bones, lines of action and theese sticky-sticky-cucumber things. It is the skill to see every line in the scene, see its very configuration, its every angle, its every curve, see exact boundaries of shapes without messing with that shape's meaning.
Essentially, all lines are of the same difficulty, because they should be processed in the same way, as plain curves. That is, it's not much difference in difficulties of drawing a piece of confetti and a maiden's fetishized foot... held by fetishized hand... and bitten by fetishized mouth with as well fetishized milk white teeth. Both scenes are made of lines, and all those lines are of the same difficulty - you just pick them one-by-one and move to the paper.
Good half of the mentioned book teaches you to see lines. I don't have any will to type more and spoiler it, so you better get and read it yourself.

That was my opinion, though. However, reading the book surely won't be harmful... as I judge from your drawings. :3

pineyappled

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2013, 12:29:11 AM »
snip
No.
There is a very large difference in drawing confetti and a foot. You want to see things in 3D shapes and objects, not a bunch of arbitrary lines like you're suggesting.

e- quoted

Delfigamer

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2013, 06:21:33 AM »
3D is cool and so, but what you draw is planar arbitrary-by-themselves lines. You cannot create real space within a piece of paper just because the piece is flat.
I wonder if we should move the discussion into other thread, to not derail Espeon's one.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2013, 07:30:56 AM »
3D is cool and so, but what you draw is planar arbitrary-by-themselves lines. You cannot create real space within a piece of paper just because the piece is flat.
I wonder if we should move the discussion into other thread, to not derail Espeon's one.
Essentially a process of digestion then? Breaking things down into simpler things.
Which is to say, that you visualize underlying structures as simple polygons and polyhedrons. These themselves are constructed from lines.
What you end up drawing are lines, and the skill to learn is to draw them as you want them to be drawn.
But precisely because lines are arbitrary by themselves, I would suggest one should learn to see shapes instead. In the end you're drawing lines, but they give meaning based on how they associate with other lines.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Teewee

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2013, 08:49:19 PM »
Wow, thats a lot of new replies to the topic xD

I've tried reading that Right Side of Brain book, and like all the other books I've read, I've understood next to nothing in them. Even so, should I give it another chance?

Also, all this fancy talk about lines and 3d shapes confuses me ^^;

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2013, 09:16:41 PM »
Yep, by all means! It is catered towards learning artists, but give it some tries and attempts and it'll become familiar.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Teewee

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2013, 09:25:34 PM »
All right, I'll do that :) Oh, and some new stuff.

A sofa

Another one

A Satori. Was originally gonna be 3 pics, but...erased 2 ^^;

A couple heads

Some profile heads

Some hands

Some eyes

Oh, and I'd appreciate being told which of my mistakes are small ones.

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2013, 01:44:23 PM »
I'm typing with a fried brain, so please excuse any errors in this post.

@Satori: Individually, the elements that made the drawing up were fine, but when they came together, the proportions reared their ugly head and ruined the whole thing.

@Profile heads: YES. The ones on the right are GREAT. Just add a nose to them.

@Eyes: Place them a bit farther away from each other.

Crow's Dumping Ground of Art

"So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring, because my faith is on solid rock; I am counting on God."

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2013, 12:55:21 AM »
@Eyes: Place them a bit farther away from each other.
Yeap. I think that a eye-distance between the eyes is fine.

Also I think that the ears look a bit strange.
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Teewee

« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2013, 06:56:54 PM »
@Pwn'd Crow:

Please explain in further detail about the satori. I get what else you said.

@Kaze_Senshi:
Got it. Though, what makes the ears looks strange, and how would I go about correcting them?