Author Topic: [Art] Just drawing stuff  (Read 29993 times)

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
[Art] Just drawing stuff
« on: December 21, 2012, 01:36:25 PM »
Of the art I'm not too embarassed to show, anyway ^^;

I'd appreciate feedback on improvement, especially the detailed and comparative kind. It's a bit scary for me to make a topic like this, so yeah. And please give specific advice; general advice pretty much doesn't work for me.
Fanart of Linde from Fire Emblem. Will release a new version sometime.

An oc

A yugioh card oc, durr. Gonna add a background of trees sometime.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 09:39:25 PM by Honest Espeon »

Teewee

Teewee

Re: [Art] Just drawing stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 04:14:57 PM »
Figure drawing practice.
From the back
From the front
and From the side

I'd appreciate feedback on these. If it's not too much to ask, please tell me what I did right and what I did wrong. ^^; Oh, and how's the shaded hair look?

If it helps formulate the feedback any:
I was trying to stylize somewhat, drawing a short figure as opposed to the tall one I was told to study in a book. I tried to make the butt look plump, but of course, it looks off lol.

pineyappled

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 04:16:47 PM »
You've improved, I think. But the side view is kind of terrifying.

Teewee

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:08:06 PM »
...thanks?  :p So, what about it makes it look terrifying? Oh, and I ask that you be gentler in your feedback next time. Saying it looked "terrifying" was a bit much...

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 09:07:22 PM »
I'd appreciate feedback on these. If it's not too much to ask, please tell me what I did right and what I did wrong. ^^;
You've improved, I think. But the side view is kind of terrifying.

Criticism means pointing out what was wrong, and offering how it could have been right. It's not hard.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 09:42:42 PM »
That profile view has some pretty bad anatomy, not gonna lie. People's faces are nowhere near that flat, for starters-- the nose sticks out more, as do the lips (and some people have supraorbital ridges that protrude from the forehead). The eyes should be a bit more indented, as well. The other views have their own problems but the profile view is the most in need of correction. I think you would benefit from checking out the information here, particularly the bottom right (kinda nsfw due to artistic nude drawings, I guess). This also has some side views of the head that could hopefully help you out.

By figure practice, do you mean a mannikin like an art mannequin, or...?

pineyappled

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 08:32:56 AM »
People usually don't lean backwards when they stand- it's usually straight up or slightly slouched forward. Neck is a bit too thick.  Breasts don't attach from the collar; they're a bit further down. Think of them as hopefully less saggy water balloons.  Bug eyes are unattractive and she doesn't have eyebrows. Eyes should not look the same from front and side view. Back is entirely wrong, but I don't really know how to describe it. Hands are uh well work on them, but not terrible.

I'd say don't draw animu for now because I sure as hell wish I didn't. You'll never be able to break yourself out of it. Like, ever. But since I know you're not going to listen, just don't bother stylizing and let it come naturally and work on other, more important, things. Drawing people of different facial and body structure is one thing; going out of your way to completely change how everything looks is another.

also this is entirely incoherent because it's 12:30 and i want to sleep gdi
srsly though you have improved a lot keep at it o/

e- forgot to mention that spines themselves aren't vertical and neither are backs
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:50:56 AM by kinoko »

Teewee

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 08:02:05 PM »
Thanks for the advice, guys :) I'll apply the advice little by little, and then post new versions of those figures when I finish them.

@Tenshi Ruronai: I got what you mean, and I'll be trying out those resources you linked, thanks :) As for figure practice, I sometimes use a mannikin. With these figures specifically, I used some in an Andrew Loomis book as reference.

@kinoko: Just so I get it (since I honestly don't, hehe), what about the front-perspective figure makes it look like it's leaned backwards? Also, what did you mean by "letting it come naturally", and how do the eyes look like bug eyes? I get all the other advice you gave me, I'd just like help understanding what I asked you about ^^;

Thanks for the kind words, though! :) I'll be keeping at it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 10:38:46 AM by Honest Espeon »

Teewee

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 09:59:33 PM »
Drew some eyes,
more eyes
Figure of a lady running
my second version of it
I can tell I did the hands and feet wrong, sowhile I'm still trying to learn from the resources linked on this board, could anyone please give some specific advice on how to improve these feet, hands, and whatever else looks "bleh"? ^^;

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 11:30:06 PM »
Hmmm I am not good at drawing ( I am studying to try to not draw boneless bodies :P) but I have some links for you:

http://hippie.nu/~unicorn/tut/xhtml/#basics-humananatomy-legs
http://majnouna.deviantart.com/art/Big-Guide-to-Drawing-the-Body-15014442

In these ones there are tips about general body anatomy, including hands and cia.

In your "lady running" drawing I had the impression that she was too small, maybe her trunk is too short. Also the joints between the trunks and arms looks strange, too thin. Well I think that these links will help you ;)
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Teewee

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 12:57:35 AM »
I'll make repeated use of those links, thanks.

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 06:21:11 PM »
Well, I made a quick redline of the last one, maybe it'll help a bit. (Terrible as it is. Also, I didn't draw the legs because I couldn't tell what the pose was meant to be :V)
Hands and feet tend to be incredibly difficult to draw anyway, so if I were you, I wouldn't fret over them just yet. Concentrate on the overall anatomy instead.
The first thing I notice is that the arms don't really seem to be properly connected to the body. The armpits are too high and there really shouldn't be that much of a bump on the shoulder. Other than that, it's mostly a case of the torso and limbs not being long enough. The first woman's legs are good, but the arms are way too short.

Still, there is definitely improvement going on. Keep it up!

Teewee

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 06:31:19 PM »
Thanks, that redline really helped :) I'll do as you said. As for the pose, I just tried to make her right leg (from her perspective)more bent forward than in the first version. Her left, making it bent backwards. Apparently-badly-executed foreshortening, and all that xD
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 06:34:09 PM by Honest Espeon »

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 08:54:59 AM »
I have this stinging impression that you don't know the parts of the human body in relation to each other. Are you sure you aren't just drawing blindly with or without reference?

You should give up foreshortening or any of that complicated stuff until you actually know how the body looks and feels like.

http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/

I recommend you do gesture drawing. Nude models only, 2 minutes on each pose. Do it for a few hours and maybe you might get a better grasp of the shape of the human body. That is not to say that you shouldn't study human body and proportions, because you're obviously lacking both in your drawings. That's clearly and painfully evident from your many drawings, like

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/run2n.jpg/

This link you posted.

- Head is clearly too big

- Collarbone looks as fake as it can get. It's a curved bone that starts where the shoulder and torso connects. Get a skeletal photo and you'll know what I mean. It definitely isn't comprised of two arrows.

-Your shoulders seem like they're just attached to the torso with glue, and that's made worse because of the sharp armpits.

-Character is TOO SHORT.  That's not a lady. That's a midget.

-Limb sizes in relation to each other is hella borked. Her right forearm is incredibly short, and even if you were aiming for foreshortening, the hand failed to convey that because of its orientation. Calves are as fat or even fatter than the thighs.

-Torso curve/hourglass shape seems to be done with absolutely no clue as to where it should curve.

-Navel(I'm assuming that's a navel) is in the wrong place.

-Mound of Venus is too wide. It's not just a "V" shape, there's a whole lot more to it that you have to understand.

-Hands seem incredibly lazy, because I can't see any effort put into it. Fingers are basically sausages, and the character's left hand's fingers seem to have only one joint.

-Feet are skewed and have no shape or form, as are the hands.

Bottom line is, you don't know how the human body works, and you need to study how it works. You draw tiddly bits like navel and collar bone, but you're just slapping them on without regard to their placement or shape. I'm not seeing a 3d figure, I'm seeing a flat bunch of curved and straight lines. Mayhaps you are improving, but you are making mistakes that shouldn't happen if you had clearly read and studied the resources that Kaze_Senshi gave you.

Teewee

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 05:09:39 PM »
I'd explain myself, but I guess that wouldn't accomplish much  :fail: But, I think I get what you're trying to say.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:17:15 PM by Honest Espeon »

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 05:24:56 PM »
I'd explain myself, but I guess that wouldn't accomplish much  :fail: But, I think I get what you're trying to say.

Then please, post the results of your gesture drawings when you get to it. I'd like to see the results.

Teewee

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 05:34:51 PM »
I will. Though, since I'm a very slow artist, they'll probably all be incomplete drawings (even when I set the timer to 10 minutes)...

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 05:39:16 PM »
I will. Though, since I'm a very slow artist, they'll probably all be incomplete drawings (even when I set the timer to 10 minutes)...

Two minutes is the max. No more. Don't go over your lines, and be brisk about it. Minimal detail is fine. Incomplete drawings are no problem since you'll get used to it either way.

Also, stop being depressing.

Teewee

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »
Allright, understood. Though for the record, I wasn't trying to be that depressing; sorry if I came off that way.

Though, to be fair: you were making a negative (and wrong!) assumption about me, so of course I'd get at least a little depressed.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:57:07 AM by Honest Espeon »

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!
  • TRIGGER WARNING : #2handsome5casuls
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 08:58:54 PM »
i just want to say
that unless you are intending to make this a career, dont force yourself to do anything you dont want to do, its a hobby, not a chore.........
also no one learns to draw in a day, and people have varying levels of learning
Distasteful Tater Elites 1st division

Akitake

• MW
  • arrivederci~
    • PIXIV
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 12:36:16 AM »
scary

Teewee

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 08:41:02 PM »
@venappo: I wish I didn't have to force myself, but I do. By "different levels of learning", did you mean speed of learning? Because yeah, mine's extremely retarded, hehe.
@Yuuhime: not that much of a problem :V

Done 12 of those gesture sketches, more on the way.

Also, I drew a Youmu a while back, and eventually learned that the fat-to-slim distribution across the body was too uneven (thanks, you-know-who-you-are! ^^). Also, lol flying sausage.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 03:05:32 AM »
Oh god fat Youmu... :o

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

pineyappled

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 03:13:11 AM »
Doing it wrong.
Read a figure drawing book or something.

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 01:42:42 PM »

Also, I drew a Youmu a while back, and eventually learned that the fat-to-slim distribution across the body was too uneven (thanks, you-know-who-you-are! ^^). Also, lol flying sausage.
@gestures: Hmm. Try this link a shot, it might help with the basics. My advice for a beginning artist: don't go straight into all the poses yet. I started out drawing the exact same pose over and over until I was familiar with it, and even then, none of my early drawings were good, so don't be discouraged if that happens. Practice drawing your subjects standing straight until you can get it consistently right.

@your Youmu: I was thinking of what to say about body size, but I forgot. Try drawing bodies thinner and taller than what you would normally do. As it is, the proportions are waaaaaay too skewed.

Crow's Dumping Ground of Art

"So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring, because my faith is on solid rock; I am counting on God."

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 02:48:45 PM »
@your Youmu: I was thinking of what to say about body size, but I forgot. Try drawing bodies thinner and taller than what you would normally do. As it is, the proportions are waaaaaay too skewed.
Yeah, it is hard to make body too tall and thin, only such cool guys as me can do it. You, Espeon, will probably draw it right. :3

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Teewee

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 11:30:55 PM »
@Delfigamer: I was going for a middleweight Youmu with thick thighs, but apparently...yeah xD And, thanks for the encouragement!

@kinoko: define "doing it wrong", please. Also, the language of all the figure drawing books I've read leave me unsure of what the heck to even do, so yeah. No, it doesn't mean I gave up on them.

@Pwn'd Crow: I'll look through that link some, thanks. I'll maybe try out the rest of the advice you tried, too. Speaking of a pose standing straight up, I made a pic of one earlier today.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:52:38 AM by Honest Espeon »

SuperParadox

• Thanks for letting me tag along guys...
  • ...But mom said I have to be home by 8!
    • Artwork from the future's past [Pixiv]
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 12:07:59 AM »
Heres a few figure/gesture drawing example videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXSyagaarU4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AF4P881bQs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmiwGm32dXU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt2fL6vNMUk
Hope they help  :P

Also, I found that when starting out gesture drawings using pen on paper was much better than doing it digitally and using the pen kept me from even thinking about erasing.

pineyappled

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 02:52:27 AM »
Also, I found that when starting out gesture drawings using pen on paper was much better than doing it digitally and using the pen kept me from even thinking about erasing.