Author Topic: INVASION! (Game Over, Nobody Wins)  (Read 80809 times)

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
Re: INVASION! (Day 1) - Suspicion~
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2009, 01:30:46 AM »
Suwako worries me slightly. I'm hoping that is also a post restriction.

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2009, 01:34:33 AM »
Darn it I used all my food metaphors in one post and I'm at a loss on what to do anymore.

---

@u-mu:

Well first off I don't see how saying that RVS ends is scummy at all.  It's like poor me saying that autumn is over (since Anthony made a post worthy of suspicion = snow); I'm not villainous for saying so.

Furthermore, Rou's little throwaway comment about Anthony's defense can hardly be taken as 'he's town', and it seems a little straw-manish, especially since it doesn't affect his stance on him at all.  I'm also of the view that Anthony was really worthy of suspicion since he didn't have a case against anyone, which is worse than a bad case, and that Rou and others were all justified in voting him.  So yeah, to me it feels as if you are scavenging for scraps and giving the pretense of coming up with something original.

---

@Anthony:

Since I'm the goddess of plenty, let it be known that I don't like the 'meat-shield' argument; just as scum can find you as possible vote-parkers, town can find you suspicious and vote you for genuine reasons as well, and it is impossible to differentiate between the two without any mention of reasoning.  Thus that post was for nothing.

Suwako is also what.  You're lucky that no one likes me and that you actually have a shrine, so what do you think of Anthony, Rou and u-mu and VGameT?  Really nothing?

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2009, 01:38:54 AM »
This interests me. You disapprove of Umu pressing at me with as you put it 'a mountain out of a molehill', but UK's attacking me for pretty much the same reasons. What's different?

The difference is that UK's vote for you is in some huge fucking wall that can't possibly be of any worth because it's on Day 1 so I'm not reading it.

I admit I missed the vote for you in that post (largely because I quick-skimmed it). I suppose I lean red on her (and Zakeri makes a good case against her, too), though not so much to be worth voting over Anthony or VGT.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Vibri

• yo, the beats are strong
  • but the night is long
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2009, 01:40:13 AM »
Actually I have a better idea.

##Unvote: Anthony
##Vote: VgameT

Hi hows about you actually start doing things? Your spat with pesco was much ado about nothing and wasn't even game-relevant and the questions you asked could be answered simply by reading the pesco votes in question and spending two minutes thinking about them.

Roukan: When I have some, you'll be the first to know.

I asked because I didn't know.  Next time I'll try harder to read your mind.  To me, they all looked like joke votes, though.  I guess you saw something that I didn't.  Shall I defer to your superior investigative abilities?  It's difficult when I can't see things from your perspective.  If only there was some way I could query you as to your reasonings, and you could enlighten me in return.

I was going to ask Zakeri about the 'we' thing but then I was like "hey I bet he's just roleplaying" so I looked at his character choice and apparently he's five stones.  I'm glad they all agree with each other.  It would be very confusing if he had to speak from five different viewpoints instead.

My take on Anthony is, I'm not comfortable about it.  New players are not usually good players.  So, if you push them into a corner, they tend to act about the same regardless of whether they're scum or town, because either way they view the game as a loss if they're dead.  The more votes and ire they draw from the other players, the more they tend to make mistakes and give up in general.  You basically can't tell the difference between a new townie going "I give up, I can't do or say anything, when I flip you'll all feel dumb" and a new scum doing the same thing. 
I guess another way to put it would be, mafia is a game where you press other players until they crack, and the people who crack in a certain way are the scum.  But new players tend to crack easily and often, so it's a dangerous situation.  Kilga was the guy who set the whole thing in motion, so I wanted to know what his reason was.  Since he decided to call me a moron instead, I'm not thrilled.

Warning - while you were typing 7 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

would you cut that shit out.  god damn.  I'm posting this now because if I try to revise it I'm going to get stuck in an endless loop.

Kitten4u

• Ochophobic
  • Too cute to kill
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2009, 01:40:58 AM »
And thus this game proves I am a slow reader.  Geez, you guys came up with a lot of stuff real quickly.

---

I don't understand why people are dismissing Anthony's behavior as newbtown.  I don't think jumping on the Pesco wagon was bad, but getting all defensive when called out on it is.  Getting very defensive and being waffly sounds more like scum to me.

##Vote Evil Magnum Anthony

I'm not seeing the case on UK.  I don't think she should dismiss Anthony's behavior as newbtown, but I don't think she's scummy for thinking so.  That goes for Nietz, Umu and anyone else that thinks this as well.

I'm not seeing the case on VGamerT either.  Early stuff just looked like a joke gone wrong, and I must be an uber newb too because the answers to those questions he asked weren't obvious to me.

I think Umu brings up some legit points on Rou, but I don't think the case on Rou is stronger than the one on Anthony. 

I don't like Affinity's case on Umu.  From what I can tell he's accusing Umu of having a weak case and that's all he really says.  First, most cases on D1 are weak, and second, I find that case much weaker than the one that Umu made which is ironic.

---

Ninja'd by a lot of people, but I think I really  need to post at some point.  I'll address those in a sec if I have anything more to add.
My favorite mythical creature? The honest politician.
A life cool.. where can I download one of those?
Hurray for apathy!

DA|Tumblr

Vibri

• but the night is long
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2009, 01:44:29 AM »
Suwako: If you try to stay inactive by hiding behind a post restriction, I will engage you in conversation with my FISTS

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2009, 01:44:50 AM »
The difference is that UK's vote for you is in some huge fucking wall that can't possibly be of any worth because it's on Day 1 so I'm not reading it.

I would post :dealwithit: here. Maybe you all shouldn't make 2 fucking pages in 2 hours if you don't want walls.

I'm not seeing the case on UK.  I don't think she should dismiss Anthony's behavior as newbtown, but I don't think she's scummy for thinking so.  That goes for Nietz, Umu and anyone else that thinks this as well.

Temporary dismissal. I'm not going to let that coast throughout the game. Anthony is not my favorite right now.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2009, 01:45:11 AM »
EBWOP: Hell yes! It worked! I thought you had to post the image yourself :P.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2009, 01:45:55 AM »
Nor does it make you scum by default. But what it does make you is an easy target. And if I remember last game well, Zengar did a lot of consistently scummy stuff during the day, not just one single dumb action.
- Third on Pesco wagon, went on for the sake of wagoning
- Retracted vote under very mild pressure, used weak defense to explain it
- No scumhunting until pressed, and even then only gave mild suspicions without bothering to put a vote down to them

Is that enough yet?

Seriously, everyone ALWAYS says "more newbscum than newbtown" every time they vote a newbie. I used to did it myself, now that I realize it, it sounds kind of irritating. "Scum is more afraid because they have more to lose" is another fallacy, everyone dislikes the idea of being lynched over some mistake, not just scum.
Then the easiest solution would be to make sure that newbies are at least competent before they show up here. I remember Zak (I think) saying we should get people to play one Newbie Game on MS before playing here, and recently with KGH and Zengar I'm growing more and more convinced that that might be a good idea.
As for the fallacy, it mainly revolves around the idea that scum are more likely to go out of their way to avoid suspicion, while Town are typically more interested in finding scum and will put hunting ahead of their own survival unless under significant pressure. Anthony panicked early on, which doesn't sit well with me.

Suwako posting and saying NOTHING beyond 'I'm sticking with Pesco' is painful. Please, the last thing we need now is people DELIBERATELY not contributing. T_T

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2009, 01:53:51 AM »
I asked because I didn't know.  Next time I'll try harder to read your mind.  To me, they all looked like joke votes, though.  I guess you saw something that I didn't.  Shall I defer to your superior investigative abilities?  It's difficult when I can't see things from your perspective.  If only there was some way I could query you as to your reasonings, and you could enlighten me in return.

If you insist on playing this way.

Anthony was a new guy with a voting reason that could be taken with the slightest hint of serious intent when one considered that he was a new guy. So I poked him to see what he'd do.

Was that really so hard to figure out?

I would post :dealwithit: here. Maybe you all shouldn't make 2 fucking pages in 2 hours if you don't want walls.

I :dealwithit: by simply not reading your posts very closely (if I read them at all). Note my missing you changing cases from Roukan to Edible in the previous game.

Don't get mad at me for you missing two pages. I missed those two pages and about about a half a page more and still managed to sum my thoughts up in five lines.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Kitten4u

• Ochophobic
  • Too cute to kill
« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2009, 01:58:52 AM »
...Yeah, Suwako is just "what" right now.  Contribute plz.

Quote from: UK
Temporary dismissal. I'm not going to let that coast throughout the game. Anthony is not my favorite right now.

I understand that it's temporary and I still don't think it should be overlooked.  Again, I just disagree and I don't find you disagreeing with me scummy.
My favorite mythical creature? The honest politician.
A life cool.. where can I download one of those?
Hurray for apathy!

DA|Tumblr

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2009, 02:03:51 AM »
Fair enough Kitten. And Kilga, fine, yanno what? You can miss out on my posts. Don't expect me to excuse you from it. The problem is on YOUR part, not mine.

Vibri

• but the night is long
« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2009, 02:07:54 AM »
If you insist on playing this way.

Anthony was a new guy with a voting reason that could be taken with the slightest hint of serious intent when one considered that he was a new guy. So I poked him to see what he'd do.

Was that really so hard to figure out?

I'd rather have you tell me than figure it out, because sometimes the things I think are wrong.  I figured you at least would understand the value of an interview, but I guess you have the power of Thinking on your side, which allows you to form ideas without actually reading the thread.  I'll be sure to value your input in the future.

OK yeah sorry that was sarcasm.  You're saying you haven't read half the thread, so why should I care about anything you put forward?  It doesn't have any weight behind it.  You're liable to change your mind at any time, and you can hide behind any flip-flopping by saying "oh well I didn't notice X before because I was skimming."  Try harder.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2009, 02:10:39 AM »
Hahahaha. That's fantastic.

I will say I've read enough of the thread to see you still haven't done anything meaningful, but that's really all that warrants.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2009, 02:15:37 AM »
Why has Kilga's opinion on UK suddenly jumped from 'Nothing' to 'She's saying nothing useful at all'?

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2009, 02:15:58 AM »
Why has Kilga's opinion on UK suddenly jumped from 'Nothing' to 'She's saying nothing useful at all'?

I was assuming that was on VGT. But I could be mistaken.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2009, 02:18:20 AM »
It was VGT, yes.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2009, 02:19:30 AM »
While I'm here it is beginning to feel like the "throwing shit and seeing what sticks" tell is Rou's tatic at the moment. I like my vote more.

Nachtwanderlied

« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2009, 02:20:06 AM »
jesus christ VgT

##UNVOTE

Waffles ahoy. After a brief stint with Pesco about absolutely nothing game-related, you get into a pissy-fight about Kilga because of an assumption mistake. Note that you still haven't voted for anyone or stated suspicion. Just "oh hey Anton may be scum or town it could go either way." Why not pressure him by voting him so that he produces SOMETHING?

Latest post is AWESOME misrep of Kilga. He missed two pages being posted. He didn't fail to read them. Nice accusations by the way.

Nothing but "curiousities" and the such. Note that he has no suspicion whatsoever. Questioning without doing anything.

##VOTE VGT

Nachtwanderlied

« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2009, 02:21:18 AM »
EDWOP: That should be "he didn't fail to understand what was happening."

durr.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2009, 02:31:07 AM »
I missed the case on VgT, but looking at his posts I can definitely see where it's coming from. To add to it he says here that Anthony is repeating my old scumtell and seems fine with the attack, and then here he shifts to 'I'm uncomfortable about the Anthony lynch'. I'm seriously reconsidering my vote now, unless VGT does something AWESOME in the next couple of posts.

Nachtwanderlied

« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2009, 02:45:09 AM »
Other thoughts and strange things:

K4U is strange. Voting Anton for reasons that can be applied to VgT while not seeing VgT's case.

Anton is uggggh. Can't pin an alignment on him because he can go either way. Posts seem anti-town, but that can easily be attributed to Newbness. Will wait for other posts before judging.

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2009, 02:52:05 AM »
Let's see, it's not going to be worth commenting on everything so I'll stick to the two people I find most scummy.

Re Rou: I'm not seeing how Anthony is so significantly scummy for just backing off when Kilga pokes him. It's pretty knee-jerk in my opinion and I think either newbTown or newbScum have an EQUAL chance of making that mistake. Why you want to highlight this as newbScum over newbTown is not something I understand or agree with for reasons already given in Nietz' #117. Also:

Would you have rather I hadn't brought it up? I was tempted to start a case on him the instant he showed up as third on the wagon but decided it wasn't quite enough. Then he retracted his vote under pressure, which convinced me it was worth pressing him.

It's not like that stopped Kilga from pushing Anthony first. Looks like you're trying to be a little careful over something that at the time shouldn't have been a big deal. Nobody is getting on Kilga for pushing Anthony atm. It reads to me like you trying to find the right time to pursue a case on someone which should not be a concern when it's transitioning from RVS to serious stage.

---

VgT is totally not contributing, taking the time only to talk about WTC Mafia for reasons that aren't going anywhere. So what if Rou backed off on something in that game and people voted him and he flipped Scum? How does that apply to your opinion of the discussion regarding Pesco and Rou and Anthony at that time? You still kept your jokevote on Zakeri when you mention this old game in #53 and #63. And in #123, you go on about nothing pretty much. Don't waste time talking about how newbies tend to act or whatever and scumhunt. You're also switching to a responsive stance rather than a proactive stance which is troublesomely scummy.

---

Rou might be a bit zealous on Anthony, but Anthony himself is on middle ground in my mind (with Anthony's lack of an opinion/vote at the moment bad, but he seems to misunderstand the concept that it's not about proving one's own innocence, but looking for guilt in others) so I'm not quite ready to see Rou as scummy bad yet. In a game where not everyone has contributed meaningfully yet, VgT's looking worse for actively not doing so. So now confirming my initial joke vote on him as serious. For those of us who are a stickler about voting order:

##Unvote VgT
##Vote VgT

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #143 on: September 16, 2009, 03:07:44 AM »
Re Rou: I'm not seeing how Anthony is so significantly scummy for just backing off when Kilga pokes him. It's pretty knee-jerk in my opinion and I think either newbTown or newbScum have an EQUAL chance of making that mistake. Why you want to highlight this as newbScum over newbTown is not something I understand or agree with for reasons already given in Nietz' #117.
I'm of the opinion that scum - especially newbscum - are more willing to conform to other people's opinions in order to avoid suspicion. Anthony could be doing exactly that, removing his vote on Pesco to try and please Kilga.

It's not like that stopped Kilga from pushing Anthony first. Looks like you're trying to be a little careful over something that at the time shouldn't have been a big deal. Nobody is getting on Kilga for pushing Anthony atm. It reads to me like you trying to find the right time to pursue a case on someone which should not be a concern when it's transitioning from RVS to serious stage.
I admit that Pesco was irritating me at that point in time to the point where I didn't give the Anthony case as much weight as I should have.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2009, 03:16:51 AM »
Vote Count: honk honk
VGameT (3) - Kiro, Kilgamayan, Eliphas
Pesco (2) - Suwako Moriya, Nietz
Anthony (3) - Roukanken, Pesco, Kitten4U
Roukanken (2) - u?, UncertainKitten
UncertainKitten (1) - Zakeri
u? (1) - Affinity

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2009, 03:28:27 AM »
To bed.

Eli is swaying with the wind. Rou is as well to a lesser extent.

Discuss while I have sweet dreams.

Vibri

• but the night is long
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2009, 04:40:27 AM »
I guess I should try again to clarify this.  The thing I said about Rou in my early-game post was just a joke.  I'm pretty sure I already said that the statement wasn't an accusation or any sort of argument, but I guess I have to repeat it again: What I said in this post was a basically meaningless statement.  I was just pointing out a situation I thought was humorous (a parallel between something that had happened in a previous game, with the roles reversed.)  Apparently nobody remembered that previous situation so I guess instead it came off as something else entirely to everyone.  My mistake.  In the future I will preface all of my accusations and arguments with the phrase "Real Talk."  (Real Talk: that is a joke.)

I agree that the discussion with pesco was basically pointless, because he was pressing me for proof or some crap for something that wasn't even an argument to begin with.  I was trying to get that across to him by responding, but I guess it would have been better if I just ignored him or something.  Hopefully this will be the last time people bug me about it.

Apparently I misread what Kilga said about missing 2 pages in the thread.  I was blending that with what he said about quick-skimming UK's posts.  However, my point stands: Kilga, I don't think you can offer anything of value if you don't even know the full situation.  The proof would be you admitting you missed important things by skimming UK's post.  If you're missing information, I don't care what you think, because you're probably wrong.  Mafia is a game of the informed minority vs. the uninformed minority, so a lack of any information is crippling.  If you can use 'oh, I missed that when I was speedreading' as an excuse every time someone calls you out, that's no good.  People have to be liable for their mistakes, or the game doesn't work.

It's true that I haven't seriously voted for anyone, but that's how I play.  I don't press people with votes, I press with questions, and leave the votes for people I would actually like to see lynched.  I like to see how people respond, whereas you guys like to see a more direct, "this is what I think about X" approach.  I'll try to reconcile the two.

I didn't like the Anthony thing because a) he was a super easy lynch target b) if he was lynched, the scum could get away basically scot free because hey, look at how scummy he acted and c) I didn't really get why everyone jumped on that particular guy instead of the others.  Since Kilga had started the whole thing I was suspicious of him, so I asked him about it, and he basically told me I wasn't trying hard enough without giving up any information.  That plus admitting he was posting without actually reading everything made me Not Happy about him.  So yes, I think Kilga is scummy. 

Prods:
- Inactive dudes.  Suwako made the 5th joke vote on pesco and then posted later saying "now it's serioius, don't care about whatever else, cya" and Serpentarius hasn't posted since his joke vote for Edible.  Inactivity is the most basic form of anti-town behavior, and it's a pain in the ass because you can't really tell if someone's scum or just lazy/distracted town.  You don't have to produce a page a day, but willful inactivity's a bad sign.  More posting, please!
- Wafflers: To Eliphas my thing with pesco was a bad reason to call me scummy, but I guess he changed his mind at some point between when he said that and when he switched up his vote since he used it as an argument against me.  He also called me out for apparently being wishy-washy about Anthony, and then did exactly that in a later post.  It's OK to be hypocritical, but if you call me scum for doing something you should try not to do it yourself.  Rou got into a dumb thing with pesco himself, and even pointed out that our situation was the same, but later said I was suspicious because of the thing he had earlier said was supposed to be a joke.  I don't have an issue with people being bothered by that post, since I didn't make it clear I was just foolin' around, but it's strange to say it's nothing major and then change your mind completely when people start voting me for it.
- Kilga: I'll throw your words back at you: post more substance.  Less one-liners, please.  Getting info from you is like pulling teeth, and it shouldn't be like that.  I'm not saying you haven't done anything; it's kind of the opposite.  Although you haven't said much you've started two bandwagons already, and it's taking people multiple prods in your direction to get you to clarify and expand on what you're talking about.

This is a long post.  Sorry for that.  I'll keep them more broken up in the future, I just thought I should try to wrap up as much as I could at once.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2009, 04:55:32 AM »
However, my point stands: Kilga, I don't think you can offer anything of value if you don't even know the full situation.  The proof would be you admitting you missed important things by skimming UK's post.  If you're missing information, I don't care what you think, because you're probably wrong.

"I can't refute the case against me so I'm going to cite an unrelated event and use that to try to pass the case against me off as stupid."

- Kilga: I'll throw your words back at you: post more substance.  Less one-liners, please.  Getting info from you is like pulling teeth, and it shouldn't be like that.  I'm not saying you haven't done anything; it's kind of the opposite.  Although you haven't said much you've started two bandwagons already, and it's taking people multiple prods in your direction to get you to clarify and expand on what you're talking about.

I will talk more when I deem it necessary, and not before. Plenty of people are already talking way too fucking much; I'm not adding to that noise.

If you have any further questions about my "VGT has posted a lot and said absolutely nothing meaningful" case, though, I'll be glad to answer those.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #148 on: September 16, 2009, 04:57:34 AM »
EBWOP: I was 2/3 in the first two days last game while doing my standard skim-read style of monster posts.

Just in case you keep trying to push the "probably wrong" idea. Because, well, it's probably wrong.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #149 on: September 16, 2009, 05:05:57 AM »
I should not be looking at Mafia at 6am when I've just pulled an all-nighter, but here I am anyway.

Rou got into a dumb thing with pesco himself, and even pointed out that our situation was the same, but later said I was suspicious because of the thing he had earlier said was supposed to be a joke.  I don't have an issue with people being bothered by that post, since I didn't make it clear I was just foolin' around, but it's strange to say it's nothing major and then change your mind completely when people start voting me for it.
I didn't bring up the argument with Pesco as a point in my case - I'm willing to put that down to Pesco being sort of a jerk (a jerk who, by the way, needs to start talking again). I was focusing on the apparent conflicting views on Anthony, which have been clarified.

Suwako, I fear, may either have a post restriction or be faking one. Serp I actually forgot about until VgT brought him up. I can't remember, is this meant to be a Bastard Mod game? Because if it is then we have a level of mod WIFOM on our hands...T_T

There's something reeeeally awkward about this Kilga/VgT thing. Both of them are basically attacking each other without bothering to refute the other's case, which makes me feel really weird. I do feel that VgT's post has at least produced something, certainly more than some other players, though the fact we had to wait so long for it is annoying. Really not sure what to do with my vote right now, to be honest, because there are three or four people I wouldn't mind putting it on (Anthony, UK, VgT, with Kilga trailing behind them).

I will talk more when I deem it necessary, and not before. Plenty of people are already talking way too fucking much; I'm not adding to that noise.
This is consistent with skimming the WoTs and does sound very much like Kilga meta, but meta can be abused. Not sure where I stand on Kilga right now, but I'd say somewhere between neutral and slight scum.

Seriously though we have way too many people just not posting. Did anyone else know that Tenshi was playing? >_>