Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)  (Read 45799 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)
« Reply #930 on: December 25, 2011, 02:44:51 AM »
>"Still, it's a starting point. Not that many folks on the island that could do that, far as I know."
>Of course, it'd be better if WE know said person, and could track them down.
>"Gotta say, though, this is a different way to go about marooning someone somewhere, especially since it seems more 'delay' than 'ruin'. Has anything like this ever happened to any other captain, that you know of?"

« Reply #931 on: December 25, 2011, 02:50:05 AM »
>"Still, it's a starting point. Not that many folks on the island that could do that, far as I know."
>Of course, it'd be better if WE know said person, and could track them down.
>"Gotta say, though, this is a different way to go about marooning someone somewhere, especially since it seems more 'delay' than 'ruin'. Has anything like this ever happened to any other captain, that you know of?"

>Murasa lets out a frustrated sigh. "Yeah, neat trick, whoever it was."
>That does seem to be the crux of it.
>"Hadn't heard anything," she says. "Ships are still comin' and goin' like ever, anyway."

« Reply #932 on: December 25, 2011, 03:44:52 AM »
>So either Murasa herself, or someone on her crew, must not be wanted in Val Razua. At least, not for a while.
>"I may need to check with a friend of mine in the Watch. This has all the earmarks of a pro job, and they'd have records the Seekers don't, might be able to figure out who could pull this off. I know you don't want a full scale investigation, but I'll keep your name, and your ship's name, out of it."
>Do we know of a favourite watering hole for sailors when they come into port here?

« Reply #933 on: December 25, 2011, 03:56:15 AM »
>So either Murasa herself, or someone on her crew, must not be wanted in Val Razua. At least, not for a while.
>"I may need to check with a friend of mine in the Watch. This has all the earmarks of a pro job, and they'd have records the Seekers don't, might be able to figure out who could pull this off. I know you don't want a full scale investigation, but I'll keep your name, and your ship's name, out of it."
>Do we know of a favourite watering hole for sailors when they come into port here?

>That does seem a plausible theory.
>Murasa frowns a little. "Well... I suppose you lose you lose your ride too, if you get us stick here any longer than we already are, so I... guess it's okay. But only if you can trust this friend of yours not to start poking around to fill in what you're not."
>There are several bars and eateries in the vicinity of the port, and certainly no shortage as you head a little further north, but you don't know of any spot in particular that they congregate.

« Reply #934 on: December 25, 2011, 04:08:58 AM »
>Consider Orange's disposition.
>"I... think it'll be alright. My friend isn't always... the sharpest tool in the shed, shall we say? But I trust her, and she trusts me. She knows that when I'm being discreet, I have my reasons. And if need be, I know I can convince her to leave well enough alone. Trust me when I say, captain, I need to get to Val Razua even more than you do."
>"I suppose there's an outside chance she'll want to come with me, too, she's wanted to get out of this city for almost as long as I have. But, I can handle that, as well."
>"In the event that doesn't pan out though- that I can't get the info I'm after from her- you and your crew have a favourite hangout while you're here in town? Somewhere that people know you, that might know who'd have it in for you?"

« Reply #935 on: December 25, 2011, 04:32:28 AM »
>Consider Orange's disposition.
>"I... think it'll be alright. My friend isn't always... the sharpest tool in the shed, shall we say? But I trust her, and she trusts me. She knows that when I'm being discreet, I have my reasons. And if need be, I know I can convince her to leave well enough alone. Trust me when I say, captain, I need to get to Val Razua even more than you do."
>"I suppose there's an outside chance she'll want to come with me, too, she's wanted to get out of this city for almost as long as I have. But, I can handle that, as well."

>Orange is not the most perceptive or shrewd of people, but she is very dutiful; you would not be at all surprised if she would feel an obligation to make her reports to the proper people. That being said, you expect you could pull the friendship card on her to convince her to keep quiet, at least for a while; she does usually tend to defer to your judgement when it really counts.
>Murasa gives you a mildly chastening look, though her tone is light. "Now don't go thinking we're a passenger service just 'cause I said you could tag along."

>"In the event that doesn't pan out though- that I can't get the info I'm after from her- you and your crew have a favourite hangout while you're here in town? Somewhere that people know you, that might know who'd have it in for you?"

>"Doubt anyone here'd know who'd have it in for me if I didn't," she says. "And we get around a fair bit - not actually out this way all that often. I know Ishi likes to hang out at that... pineapple place, whatever it's called." She shakes her head and snickers. "And who knows what dives Chisato ends up in. Probably all of 'em."

« Reply #936 on: December 25, 2011, 04:56:11 AM »
>Pineapple place?
>Checks stored games
>"That pineapple place wouldn't happen to be the Melon Bowl, would it?"

« Reply #937 on: December 25, 2011, 05:08:23 AM »
>Pineapple place?
>Checks stored games
>"That pineapple place wouldn't happen to be the Melon Bowl, would it?"

>What? You cannot innately recall every proper noun that has been mentioned in this game? For shame.
>She scratches her head. "Uh... that sounds about right, I think."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #938 on: December 25, 2011, 05:46:06 AM »
I've skimmed, so maybe I've missed this.

If things were largely undisturbed, then the question is where she leaves it normally. Is it tucked away at all? If she doesn't have it in the open, then that means they knew where it was, if there were no signs at all of someone going through the place.

The next question is timeframe; she had to have had it when leaving the last time, at the very least. So when did she last see it for sure? And how long has she been on land since seeing it?

« Reply #939 on: December 25, 2011, 06:03:31 AM »
If things were largely undisturbed, then the question is where she leaves it normally. Is it tucked away at all? If she doesn't have it in the open, then that means they knew where it was, if there were no signs at all of someone going through the place.

If I read right, she keeps it in her desk drawer, with all her other papers. I'm thinking either an inside job (though I doubt Murasa will respond well to questions in that vein) or someone's been watching them/her for a while.

The next question is timeframe; she had to have had it when leaving the last time, at the very least. So when did she last see it for sure? And how long has she been on land since seeing it?

She said she noticed it missing the night before last, which was when they were supposed to depart. I don't believe she mentioned how long they've been in Braston here, directly.

« Reply #940 on: December 25, 2011, 06:42:57 AM »
>"How long have you been in port?"

« Reply #941 on: December 25, 2011, 06:47:45 AM »
>"How long have you been in port?"

>"About a week," she says, then frowns a little in concentration. "Um... think we landed eight days ago now? Yeah, that sounds about right."

« Reply #942 on: December 25, 2011, 08:00:47 AM »
>"Time enough for someone to learn your habits and where things are aboard ship, then."
>"I know you said you hadn't seen anyone out of place in the past couple days, but, what about over the past week?"
>Quick treasure sense sweep of the room.

« Reply #943 on: December 25, 2011, 09:25:54 PM »
>"Time enough for someone to learn your habits and where things are aboard ship, then."
>"I know you said you hadn't seen anyone out of place in the past couple days, but, what about over the past week?"
>Quick treasure sense sweep of the room.

>She shrugs. "Maybe, I guess."
>"Out of place?" She pauses and frowns, then slowly shakes her head. "Nah, wouldn't say so, really. Don't leave the place unattended when I'm not around."
>You turn your attention towards your treasure sense. You can detect several moderately strong feelings within the general vicinity of the room, and a few others scattered throughout the ship. You think most of the ones close to you are probably precious metals and similar things - possibly a large quantity of coinage? This would hardly be out of place on a trader's ship. Every now and again you think you feel a slight trace of something harder to describe, but it's so vague that you're not even quite sure it's anything more than noise.

« Reply #944 on: December 26, 2011, 05:29:15 AM »
>Any sense of magic in the air?

« Reply #945 on: December 26, 2011, 05:37:07 AM »
>Any sense of magic in the air?

>Perhaps a little, but nothing distinct or that calls attention to itself; probably perfectly mundane things like light fixtures or something.

« Reply #946 on: December 26, 2011, 06:00:20 AM »
Anybody got anything else to ask Murasa before we head out? Drawing a blank at the moment.

« Reply #947 on: December 26, 2011, 08:05:41 AM »
Well I suppose there is at least ONE thing we can do, just to be thorough.

>Take a minute to douse for any sources of magic that seem like they don't belong.

« Reply #948 on: December 26, 2011, 08:51:29 AM »
>Take a minute to douse for any sources of magic that seem like they don't belong.

>It's rather difficult to determine a sense of unbelonging via this method given that you don't know what passes for normal on this ship, but you decide to take a minute to dowse for magic anyway and see if anything strikes you as somehow odd. You raise your rods and narrow your focus, sweeping slowly across the room and sending your senses past it to the rest of the ship. There is a little magic about, but not an uncommon amount. You grow more certain that some of what you sense are lights, and there's probably a few other minor magical baubles of one sort or another - you cannot determine their purpose this way, but you suspect they're fairly mundane. Nothing seems particularly strong or active, and there are no obvious traces of lingering enchantments in the room. All in all, it seems pretty bland and unremarkable. ...wait, what was that? You squint and shift the rods about. Nothing? Huh.... Was it just background noise or something? You focus harder and shift again. ...no, you think you can still get a slight sense of... something. Maybe. It's very faint and vague, and probably nothing, but it does feel just a little odd. ...and you think it may be close to you.
>"What exactly are you tryin' to do, anyhow?" Murasa asks, looking at you askance.

« Reply #949 on: December 26, 2011, 09:01:56 AM »
>"Tell ya in a second."
>Focus on that sensation. Details, dowsing powers, details!

« Reply #950 on: December 26, 2011, 09:12:11 AM »
>"Tell ya in a second."
>Focus on that sensation. Details, dowsing powers, details!

>You brush Murasa off and try to narrow in on that sensation.
>"Hey, it's my ship you're on, remember?" she says. "Mind runnin' whatever tricks you're working on past me first?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #951 on: December 26, 2011, 09:19:18 AM »
>"Dowsing. It's my ability. There's something that doesn't fit in..It's around here somewhere, and I'll find it for sure."
>Focus on finding that thing, and making it known.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #952 on: December 26, 2011, 09:25:52 AM »
>"Dowsing. It's my ability. There's something that doesn't fit in..It's around here somewhere, and I'll find it for sure."
>Focus on finding that thing, and making it known.

>"Huh." You absently note Murasa nod as you try to resume your focus.
 >"Anythin' I can do to help?" she asks.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #953 on: December 26, 2011, 10:53:15 AM »
>"Well, once I get enough focus to lock on to it, whatever I'm after is as good as found. So just sit right back and leave it to the mouse."
>Grin confidently just a bit before resuming focus.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #954 on: December 26, 2011, 07:21:21 PM »
>"Well, once I get enough focus to lock on to it, whatever I'm after is as good as found. So just sit right back and leave it to the mouse."
>Grin confidently just a bit before resuming focus.

>Murasa gives you a dubious look. "You think this... whatever-it-is has somethin' to do with that thief?"

« Reply #955 on: December 26, 2011, 07:48:51 PM »
"Should only take a minute to find out."
I have...a terrible need...shall I say the word?...of religion. Then I go out at night and paint the stars.

« Reply #956 on: December 26, 2011, 09:47:56 PM »
>"Should only take a minute to find out."

>Murasa lets out a little chuckle. "And I suppose I keep interrupting ya, don't I?"

« Reply #957 on: December 26, 2011, 10:10:19 PM »
>"I'm not gonna hold your curiousity against ya, captain, I wager you've never seen anyone could do this. But just gimme a minute, and I'll have this sorted out."
>And as the man said before, Grin confidently just a bit before resuming focus.

« Reply #958 on: December 26, 2011, 10:21:28 PM »
>"I'm not gonna hold your curiousity against ya, captain, I wager you've never seen anyone could do this. But just gimme a minute, and I'll have this sorted out."
>And as the man said before, Grin confidently just a bit before resuming focus.

>Murasa shrugs. "Eh, take your time if ya need it. I need to go check in with Chisato, anyhow."
>She takes a step away, then turns and gives you a look. "And mind everything's still where I left it when I get back, hey?"

« Reply #959 on: December 27, 2011, 03:08:39 AM »
>Twitch. INTERRUPTIONSinterruptions....
>"Naturally."
>Assuming she lets us NOW, focus on that sensation.