Author Topic: How to upload Touhou videos in HD quality Tutorial  (Read 307381 times)

Kenta Kurodani

• That guy from IRC
  • Don't mind me, I'm no threat to your high scores
Re: How to upload Touhou videos in HD quality Tutorial
« Reply #300 on: December 11, 2012, 05:22:17 PM »
If you are able to find a copy, I recommend the program Bandicam. It does the same thing as Fraps, but compresses the final file, so that you do not have to deal with gigabyte size files.

SirChaotick

• Mathematics.
  • Fun for EVERYONE.
« Reply #301 on: December 18, 2012, 06:01:30 PM »
Today I tried out VirtualDub to patch two videos together as the tutorial suggested, using "Append AVI segment" and subsequently saving the result as AVI. This process took 45 minutes.

The end product was four times as large as the two videos separate. Upon watching, the video stuttered incontrollably: it was as if there were about three frames of nothing patched in between every two original frames. Of course this was not suitable for uploading to Youtube.
Additionally, when I tried to create an AVI script with the result in MeGUI, it stops the process and informs me that an empty frame has been encountered.

Does anyone know what the cause of this could be?

Zil

« Reply #302 on: December 19, 2012, 02:27:34 AM »
The end product was four times as large as the two videos separate. Upon watching, the video stuttered incontrollably: it was as if there were about three frames of nothing patched in between every two original frames.
This much is normal, at least. I don't know about the problem with Megui. The best I could tell you is to try appending the videos again and see if the same problem arises. If it happens every time, then I have no idea, though I guess you try recording again to see if the problem is with the recording rather than VirtualDub. If it turns out it was just a fluke then... huzzah!

« Reply #303 on: December 20, 2012, 09:32:10 PM »
Today I tried out VirtualDub to patch two videos together as the tutorial suggested, using "Append AVI segment" and subsequently saving the result as AVI. This process took 45 minutes.

The end product was four times as large as the two videos separate. Upon watching, the video stuttered incontrollably: it was as if there were about three frames of nothing patched in between every two original frames. Of course this was not suitable for uploading to Youtube.
Additionally, when I tried to create an AVI script with the result in MeGUI, it stops the process and informs me that an empty frame has been encountered.

Does anyone know what the cause of this could be?
Do your original two videos play just fine? If yes, then it might be a VirtualDub encoding problem seeing as how MeGUI spits an error at you.

Code: [Select]
AviSynth Script Error:
Script Error: Invalid Arguments to function "BicubicResize"

^- What the heck is this?
I've never had this problem before.
Please Help.
And no one responded to you, but if you're still around and still have the problem, mind posting your AviSynth code?

SirChaotick

• Mathematics.
  • Fun for EVERYONE.
« Reply #304 on: December 21, 2012, 07:11:34 AM »
Do your original two videos play just fine? If yes, then it might be a VirtualDub encoding problem seeing as how MeGUI spits an error at you.

The original videos played just fine; one of them is uploaded to my Youtube Channel and it goes without a hitch.
VirtualDub didn't give me any error notices though.

« Reply #305 on: December 21, 2012, 05:51:12 PM »
The original videos played just fine; one of them is uploaded to my Youtube Channel and it goes without a hitch.
VirtualDub didn't give me any error notices though.
Try appending the two videos together using an AviSynth script. If you don't know how, open up notepad, and copy this code into it, changing filepathhere and filenamehere to their actual counterparts. Oh, and make sure to keep the quotes:

Code: [Select]
clip1 = AviSource("C:\filepathhere\filenamehere.avi")
clip2 = AviSource("C:\filepathhere\filenamehere.avi")

video = clip1 + clip2

return video

Now save that as something like "TestVideo.avs" (without the quotes. Also make sure notepad doesn't save it as something dumb like "TestVideo.avs.txt"). Double click it and see if it plays in the Windows Player or MPC or something without a hitch (it should since you installed AviSynth). If it works, then it's probably a VDub encoding problem.

SirChaotick

• Mathematics.
  • Fun for EVERYONE.
« Reply #306 on: December 21, 2012, 09:45:10 PM »
Nevermind it all, turns out I was forgetting to select "Direct Stream Copy", which decompressed the entire thing. Silly me  :V

SirChaotick

• Mathematics.
  • Fun for EVERYONE.
« Reply #307 on: December 22, 2012, 10:22:21 AM »
Alright, another possible issue!
My most recently uploaded video (Right here) doesn't seem to have a 720p option, or at least it isn't displaying for me. It's made in the exact same manner as my other videos, which plainly have an HD option,  but this one doesn't for some reason. What may the problem be? Is it because of the length?

« Reply #308 on: December 22, 2012, 07:28:57 PM »
Alright, another possible issue!
My most recently uploaded video (Right here) doesn't seem to have a 720p option, or at least it isn't displaying for me. It's made in the exact same manner as my other videos, which plainly have an HD option,  but this one doesn't for some reason. What may the problem be? Is it because of the length?
Youtube only gives you the 720p option if you uploaded the video with a vertical length of 720 pixels or higher. Double check if you upscaled the video.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #309 on: December 22, 2012, 08:53:44 PM »
Uh, does anybody know how to get to the Basic Uploader these days? I can't find it since the new update to the site and it was my only way to upload without shit getting stuck halfway.

SirChaotick

• Mathematics.
  • Fun for EVERYONE.
« Reply #310 on: December 22, 2012, 09:46:32 PM »
Youtube only gives you the 720p option if you uploaded the video with a vertical length of 720 pixels or higher. Double check if you upscaled the video.
Hmm, you're right, it's in a smaller size than the other Touhou vids. But I did the exact same thing...
Where may the "upscaling" part of the equation be then? I'll double check it.

« Reply #311 on: December 23, 2012, 02:24:13 AM »
Hmm, you're right, it's in a smaller size than the other Touhou vids. But I did the exact same thing...
Where may the "upscaling" part of the equation be then? I'll double check it.
It's the part in the guide where you put this in:

BicubicResize(960, 720, 0, 0.5) # Bicubic (Neutral)

SirChaotick

• Mathematics.
  • Fun for EVERYONE.
« Reply #312 on: December 23, 2012, 05:50:39 AM »
It's the part in the guide where you put this in:

BicubicResize(960, 720, 0, 0.5) # Bicubic (Neutral)
Yes, it turned out that that was the problem. The coding had vanished entirely. I was fooled because it still gave me a window saying "Successfully converted to YV12". Thanks a lot!

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #313 on: December 23, 2012, 05:54:58 PM »
BT as far as I know, the basic uploader was removed, I couldn't find it either and assume they just removed it because YT staff is a bunch of dicks who remove anything useful.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #314 on: December 23, 2012, 07:10:59 PM »
So I guess I'm stuck unable to upload anything longer than 30 seconds. Unless someone knows a fix to the eternal_freeze_that_always_always_happens problem?

« Reply #315 on: December 23, 2012, 11:19:06 PM »
So I guess I'm stuck unable to upload anything longer than 30 seconds. Unless someone knows a fix to the eternal_freeze_that_always_always_happens problem?
Have you tried using other browsers? If not, then you can always download a software to upload videos onto Youtube without using the webpage itself.

SirChaotick

• Mathematics.
  • Fun for EVERYONE.
« Reply #316 on: December 24, 2012, 02:58:59 PM »
Here I am again! More shenanigans with VirtualDub this time.

I recorded a video, but accidentally my program got deselected because my key remapper acted up. This broke off recording. Afterwards I recorded another video redoing the missed part and attempted to merge them together.
It was somewhat successful, but not entirely:
In regular viewing (Windows Media Player) there are a couple of seconds of frozen frames when the game was deselected. In VirtualDub, they don't show up. The corresponding talking that I did during that period doesn't show up either... that is, until I append the one segment with the other. When I did this, the lost audio reappeared. However, the frozen frames did not. Thus the entire audio from that point onward is desynced by four seconds.

I'm fairly sure I can get around this by pasting a few seconds of static screen in between with Live Movie Maker, but I'm still curious how this could've happened.

« Reply #317 on: December 24, 2012, 08:08:58 PM »
Here I am again! More shenanigans with VirtualDub this time.

I recorded a video, but accidentally my program got deselected because my key remapper acted up. This broke off recording. Afterwards I recorded another video redoing the missed part and attempted to merge them together.
It was somewhat successful, but not entirely:
In regular viewing (Windows Media Player) there are a couple of seconds of frozen frames when the game was deselected. In VirtualDub, they don't show up. The corresponding talking that I did during that period doesn't show up either... that is, until I append the one segment with the other. When I did this, the lost audio reappeared. However, the frozen frames did not. Thus the entire audio from that point onward is desynced by four seconds.

I'm fairly sure I can get around this by pasting a few seconds of static screen in between with Live Movie Maker, but I'm still curious how this could've happened.
I'm going to guess that the "frozen frames" you see in WMP aren't actually captured; rather they're just leftovers from the very last frame displayed. So basically you have no video data during those few seconds. VirtualDub sees that there's no video data, and just excises it automatically (for whatever reason). However, when you append segments, VirtualDub treats the video and audio clips separately, and does an Unaligned Splice, which adds the sound tracks end to end and the video tracks end to end. Since the audio track on your first video is longer than your actual video, you have the desync. Though there should also be either audio that's cut off at the end of your final video, or I guess 4 seconds of no video while the rest of the audio plays.

SirChaotick

• Mathematics.
  • Fun for EVERYONE.
« Reply #318 on: December 25, 2012, 08:18:49 AM »
I'm going to guess that the "frozen frames" you see in WMP aren't actually captured; rather they're just leftovers from the very last frame displayed. So basically you have no video data during those few seconds. VirtualDub sees that there's no video data, and just excises it automatically (for whatever reason). However, when you append segments, VirtualDub treats the video and audio clips separately, and does an Unaligned Splice, which adds the sound tracks end to end and the video tracks end to end. Since the audio track on your first video is longer than your actual video, you have the desync. Though there should also be either audio that's cut off at the end of your final video, or I guess 4 seconds of no video while the rest of the audio plays.
Indeed the end bit is cut off. I should be able to patch it up though.

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #319 on: January 04, 2013, 11:56:41 AM »
Questiano here. Do touhou videos have to be at ~600x800 to look good like this, ir can they be widescreen videos to look good like this? The widescreen one looks normal to me but the 600x800 one looks... so... distorted. Or should I go with whichever one I'm more comfortable with (which the one I'd slightly prefer is the one that pleases viewers)?
I also realised the screen resolution is, like, say, an illusion on the computer, but the real one you can record with. Is my hypothesis correct?

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #320 on: January 04, 2013, 10:49:14 PM »
I think 13.5 is already widescreen, so it's not a good comparison.

All the Windows games I've recorded should be 640x480, or some multiple of that (I've been using vpatch to scale to 1024x768 from my perfect Flandre video onward, which may or may not help compensate for YouTube's potential loss of video quality when it converts the video). If 640x480 looks distorted, and the game isn't 13.5/PC-98, it's probably because you've been mainly playing the game in a full-screen mode that stretches it.

...Speaking of recording, I have an issue of my own: I recently got a new computer and installed Windows 7 on it. I can't seem to find the "Stereo Mix" input setting that as far as I know I need to record sound with screen capture. The only sound input option that appears is the microphone, even after enabling "Show Disabled Devices? and ?Show Disconnected Devices". Any idea what I can do?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:04:23 PM by Karisa »

« Reply #321 on: January 05, 2013, 03:59:43 AM »
Questiano here. Do touhou videos have to be at ~600x800 to look good like this, ir can they be widescreen videos to look good like this? The widescreen one looks normal to me but the 600x800 one looks... so... distorted. Or should I go with whichever one I'm more comfortable with (which the one I'd slightly prefer is the one that pleases viewers)?
I also realised the screen resolution is, like, say, an illusion on the computer, but the real one you can record with. Is my hypothesis correct?
You always, always, always want to record at the game's preferred resolution (otherwise you'll also be recording blank space) and then upscale it with a fixed aspect ratio to upload it. For most Tohou games, the preferred resolution would be 640x480, and upscale it to 960x720 so Youtube lets you play it in HD.

...Speaking of recording, I have an issue of my own: I recently got a new computer and installed Windows 7 on it. I can't seem to find the "Stereo Mix" input setting that as far as I know I need to record sound with screen capture. The only sound input option that appears is the microphone, even after enabling "Show Disabled Devices? and ?Show Disconnected Devices". Any idea what I can do?
"Stereo mix" only exists in some audio drivers and not others. If you don't have it, then there isn't really anything you can do to enable it as far as I know. You're going to need to install a program like Virtual Audio Cables to do what stereo mix did, or alternatively you can record your voice separately and add it over the game audio. If you're doing live streaming, then you're going to want VAC.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #322 on: January 05, 2013, 04:30:13 AM »
"Stereo mix" only exists in some audio drivers and not others. If you don't have it, then there isn't really anything you can do to enable it as far as I know. You're going to need to install a program like Virtual Audio Cables to do what stereo mix did, or alternatively you can record your voice separately and add it over the game audio. If you're doing live streaming, then you're going to want VAC.
Um, what does voice have to do with any of this? I thought the point of "Stereo mix" was to record the game audio directly, to avoid the problems of a microphone (like lowered sound quality and the need to be in a quiet room)?

And if it only exists in some audio drivers, is it possible to replace the audio driver? If it's relevant, my computer is a new MacBook Pro, running Windows 7 via Boot Camp.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 04:37:09 AM by Karisa »

KLH

• 47 accounts in my account account
« Reply #323 on: January 05, 2013, 04:39:25 AM »
Um, what does voice have to do with any of this? I thought the point of "Stereo mix" was to record the game audio directly, to avoid the problems of a microphone (like lowered sound quality and the need to be in a quiet room)?

And if it only exists in some audio drivers, is it possible to replace the audio driver?
Stereo Mix provides as recording input all sounds that are played by the audio hardware. Essentially, you can record any sound being played by the computer. However, this means that you may accidentally capture sounds played by other programs outside the game if they are not already muted.

Voice is only recorded through Stereo Mix if your driver is set to play back recorded audio in real-time, so if your driver doesn't do this or if you have disabled this functionality, then it is indeed not an issue.

Replacing the audio driver is a possibility, but this means you will either have to find a hacked driver or modify the driver yourself.

My Fraps installation is set to automatically detect the best sound input, which sets the input source to Vista Direct Stream. Does your installation do this?

2hu is a ghey shooter pl@y COD you f@gs
COD 4 life #swag #yolo #360noscope #lensflare #Skrillex
Main YouTube Channel
Main Reupload Channel

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #324 on: January 05, 2013, 05:29:40 AM »
My Fraps installation is set to automatically detect the best sound input, which sets the input source to Vista Direct Stream. Does your installation do this?
I've been using HyperCam 2, which I don't believe automatically detects the sound input (image, the only other option is "Microphone (CS4206" [sic]). As far as I can tell, both from some random searches and my previous (successful) attempts at getting it to work in Windows XP, you need to select the sound input somewhere in the computer settings (in Windows 7, "Manage audio devices" in the control panel, "Recording" tab). However, as I said, it doesn't seem to exist.

Oh, by the way, as I thought, "Default sound recording device" records from the microphone, which not only picked up traces of a conversation that was going on outside, but included an annoying tapping sound effect in the recording every time I pressed a key.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 05:43:01 AM by Karisa »

« Reply #325 on: January 05, 2013, 07:27:41 AM »
I've been using HyperCam 2, which I don't believe automatically detects the sound input (image, the only other option is "Microphone (CS4206" [sic]). As far as I can tell, both from some random searches and my previous (successful) attempts at getting it to work in Windows XP, you need to select the sound input somewhere in the computer settings (in Windows 7, "Manage audio devices" in the control panel, "Recording" tab). However, as I said, it doesn't seem to exist.

Oh, by the way, as I thought, "Default sound recording device" records from the microphone, which not only picked up traces of a conversation that was going on outside, but included an annoying tapping sound effect in the recording every time I pressed a key.
Oh, sorry, I assumed you wanted to do game + voice commentary at once since that's what I always used stereo mix for. In any case, screen capture programs should have an option to record from the speakers and not from the recording devices. I don't know why Hypercam 2 doesn't have that option. You could look around for another program that can capture Windows sound like Fraps, Camstudio, or UltraVNC, or you can get the VAC that I mentioned above. If the stereo mix option doesn't exist, then as I said before, your audio drivers/card don't support it, and there's not too much you can do about it since most audio cards are built into the motherboard nowadays. It's pretty stupid, and there really isn't too much you can do about it other than try VAC or try another recording program.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #326 on: January 05, 2013, 10:08:22 AM »
The Stereo Mix is from the Realtek sound driver. Now the one issue you're going to have is that you have a MacBook Pro. It does not have a Realtek card, so the drivers wouldn't work properly anyway. You're probably stuck as it is. You can try installing the drivers anyway and see what happens. (I don't have stereo mix either, and since my card/box/thing isn't a realtek card, so the drivers didn't work properly) Fraps is good here because you don't need the Stereo Mix. It just records the sounds anyway.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #327 on: January 05, 2013, 10:59:42 AM »
So my previous computer had a Realtek sound card, even though it was also a MacBook (just a much older one)?

This is way more complicated than I anticipated. I thought getting a gift of a new computer meant I finally had a solution to my MS Extra recording slowdown issues, not cause additional recording issues. And I can't rely on the ability to keep using the old one, either, because the monitor is nearly broken.

Anyway, I just tried out Camstudio, which appears to have an option to record from speakers. Except setting it to that gave me a "WaveoutGetSelectControl() failed." error, then it still recorded from the microphone, and reverted to the microphone setting when I closed and reopened it (other settings were saved).

Additionally, it resulted in a huge file (149MB for 3 minutes, I normally expect 300-450MB for a full 1cc) which took several minutes to process after the recording stopped. I checked the compression settings but there seem to be only three available codecs, not including the ffdshow codec I've been using (which still works in HyperCam 2 verifying that it was reinstalled correctly), or even the Camstudio Lossless codec from the same site that I tried installing to see if it'd show up.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 11:07:42 AM by Karisa »

Zil

« Reply #328 on: January 05, 2013, 01:36:41 PM »
Well, if it's come down to just trying different video capture programs until you find one that works, I used to use one called Debut that was always quite reliable, even when Camstudio would cause extreme levels of slowdown. It has a free version that can be used indefinitely. I can't make any promises about the quality though. (This is something I recorded with it, for example.)

I would say you could just buy Fraps and use that but I guess I'm born under some magical star that allows it to recognize Anex's window.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #329 on: January 05, 2013, 11:57:18 PM »
CamStudio is kinda dumb. I've used it before, and have had the exact same problems you've described. Though, the list of codecs that I have is a bit larger than yours. Fraps's problem is not being able to record PC-98 games since they don't use the same video output format that Fraps tries to find. You're pretty much forced to use some other program to record those games.

And that's interesting that the Realtek driver worked with another MacBook. I don't remember Apple using Realtek cards in their computers. It might have just been able to handle it from BootCamp stuff?
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>