Author Topic: How to upload Touhou videos in HD quality Tutorial  (Read 310541 times)

Re: How to upload Touhou videos in HD quality Tutorial
« Reply #270 on: July 10, 2012, 10:34:07 AM »
I have a problem with Fraps, when I try to record Touhou on 30fps (game running on 60fps) it works fine for a few minutes, but then it suddenly slows down to 30fps in game and after a while it goes down to 5fps or so. I also can't fast forward replays when I'm recording with fraps. How do I fix this?
Does anyone know a fix to this? It seems like whatever I try, after a while the fps drops and I can't play at all. It's fine if I stop recording and start recording again, but after each time I do that the lag comes back sooner.

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #271 on: July 14, 2012, 07:49:51 PM »
we need a video tutorial  :getdown:

« Reply #272 on: July 19, 2012, 04:04:37 PM »
When i opened the replay recorded by Camstudio, It kept flashing while the game was on. Could somebody help me with this.
Thanks  :)
And by the way, I also need tutorial video.  :V

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #273 on: July 21, 2012, 07:04:23 PM »
When i opened the replay recorded by Camstudio, It kept flashing while the game was on. Could somebody help me with this.
Thanks  :)
And by the way, I also need tutorial video.  :V
What do you mean by flashing?

And I might make a tutorial video soon here. Low on HDD space right now, like really low, so I'd have to figure out how to clear that out again.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #274 on: August 02, 2012, 08:17:27 PM »
Actually TBH I wasn't joking about the tutorial request. I had so many problems there's actually no point in listing and explaining them.

Piranha

• Hungry Ghost
« Reply #275 on: August 08, 2012, 11:23:12 PM »
My friend who records my videos for me is completely blocked at MeGUI.I'm completely unfamiliar with it, so I can't speak firsthand, but anyone else have an idea of anything to help?

You have to chose AviSource to open the file for the script (in megui #2153), then just proceed like Drake said. Also the Edit tab is now named Script. These are about the only changes I've seen, and the rest of the process works out fine that way.

Edit: I have some problems with recording at 30 fps , unfortunately. If I use Fraps with the Full-size option , the ingame fps are locked at 30, and if I take the half-size option, I get an upscaled 240p-video as end result, which looks...not HD!

I also tried CamStudio and Hypercam, but both are lagging significantly stronger in the recorded footage than ingame when recording...Any tips for relieving some stress from the machine/using the recorder optimally?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:08:21 AM by Piranha »
Normal 1cc: EoSD (All), PCB (All), IN (All teams), PoFV (Reimu), MoF (All), SA (ReimuA/ReimuB)
Extra stages cleared: EoSD (ReimuB), PCB (ReimuB)
StB: Level 6-X left
My Replays

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #276 on: August 09, 2012, 12:01:48 AM »
Does the process really need to be that complicated?

I just record with HyperCam 2 at 30fps, edit with VirtualDub if I need to clip/merge videos (if so, set the codec again before saving), and upload; this video shows the quality I managed to achieve. To enable YouTube's "720p HD" option, resize the game window to something proportionally larger such as 1024x768 (use the vsync patch for the older games that don't give you multiple window sizes) before recording.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:07:38 AM by Karisa »

Piranha

• Hungry Ghost
« Reply #277 on: August 09, 2012, 02:00:56 PM »
Got Hypercam 2 to work properly and recorded the same stage again with 30 fps. It worked out pretty decent this time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkQhB1fetBM&feature=g-upl

There is also a nifty little trick to avoid audio desync when recording with 30fps.

Edit: Why is there no HD option on this video:(
I used the exact same script like with the second test video. Resolution and everything else is also nearly identical to the other video.

Nevermind, HD option is now usable.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 05:32:42 PM by Piranha »
Normal 1cc: EoSD (All), PCB (All), IN (All teams), PoFV (Reimu), MoF (All), SA (ReimuA/ReimuB)
Extra stages cleared: EoSD (ReimuB), PCB (ReimuB)
StB: Level 6-X left
My Replays

Oh

« Reply #278 on: August 11, 2012, 02:31:13 AM »
How do you make your voice louder when recording with Fraps? I tried turning game volume down but the resulting loudness is the same as before (15%bgm vs 90%bgm, my voice is barely heard either way).
Thanks in advance

Zil

« Reply #279 on: August 11, 2012, 02:39:07 AM »
Open up Volume Mixer by right-clicking the speaker icon and selecting "Open Volume Mixer" from the selection box and you should be able to adjust the volume of your game, assuming that you're using Windows 7 which I think you are from the picture that you put up before.

(picture has been edited [taskbar pasted on top of the selection box] for clarity)
[attach=1]

to be honest i'm not even sure if the speaker icon is there be default, but i assume it is, if not then i guess i'll have to dig around hawhawhaw
I think this is the answer to your question. Changing the volume "in-game" does nothing.

Oh

« Reply #280 on: August 11, 2012, 02:47:24 AM »
Sorry, I'm using Windows XP, SP3 if that matters, and I cannot use volume control to directly control game volume

SirChaotick

• Mathematics.
  • Fun for EVERYONE.
« Reply #281 on: September 09, 2012, 08:17:12 AM »
I'm trying this right now and it's going fine up to the first Config. I can't seem to find the bitrate option. The picture that's probably supposed to display it is blacked out and I can't see an option at the top like the tutorial mentions. I browsed through the advanced settings too, but I'm still not finding anything...

EDIT: mkay nevermind, found it.
EDITEDIT: Well, good part is, I figured out how to upload a video for the first time ever. It's of TD Normal, stage 1, for testing purposes.

I'm happy with the file size, which decreased by a factor of fifty.
The quality, however, while it's quite a notch up from 240p, still isn't quite up to HD levels.
What do I do about that  then? I followed the tutorial exactly.

Nevermind, a 720p option suddenly popped up. Huzzah! Now I can finally let people see cool stuff and shamelessly brag about it!

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 10:57:20 AM by SirChaotick »

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #282 on: September 19, 2012, 12:28:46 PM »
use dxtory dammit

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #283 on: November 03, 2012, 10:31:23 PM »
alright, 2 things I need help with.

1. I record with fraps. fraps means goddamn huge lag. kanako's cards go down all the way to 45 fps. any way to make it stay at 60 better?

2. I followed the instructions, but my video (the test video, duh) didn't get the delicious 720 p option. so yeah, this is what it looks like. not cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3CS4jduiXw&feature=plcp FOR THOSE INTERESTED ENOUGH TO WATCH HORRIBLE 480 P MOF STAGE4. you can see lagspikes here and there and well, yeah. quality problem.

help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:34:27 PM by Sakurei »

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #284 on: November 04, 2012, 02:39:18 AM »
Regarding Fraps, are you recording at 30fps (without it locking the game to it)? No need to record at any higher, YT converts it down. That might solve some of the lag. Also, if you're using lossless RGB capture, turn it off, it is slower.

As for the 720p, are you sure you followed the instructions? Check your finished video and see if it has the right dimensions. (960x720) There isn't much that can go wrong otherwise. (besides YT being stupid with their converters)
TF2 Backpack

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #285 on: November 05, 2012, 01:46:25 PM »
With spells that use add blending, such as Miko's last spell. Fraps SUCKS at that.

Sakurei

• Banned
    • My Blog
« Reply #286 on: November 07, 2012, 03:57:28 PM »
on closer inspection, I seem to have had some differences in my steps. hurr durr, I'll get to it in a second and explain why I did what I did.

as for recording lagg: thanks, that fixed it. I indeed recorded at 60 fps. now the recording runs smoothly on everything I tried it. (that is: every perfect run I've ever had :v)

now, things I did differently: I skipped the whole virtualdub part, because I record my things in one piece and don't split them. (I don't think that caused it)
2. after opening script creator, I put in my avi file, as told, but the I get an option in which I have to choose 1 out of 3 "editing" tools. those are "one-click encorder", "File indexer" and "Avisource". I assumed the one I had to open was avisource, because that was the only one that opened a preview window.
3. I never found an edi menu and did my best to follow what was said (like making scrachpad mp3 and blah, blah.) I also never found the placeholders. I assume this is where everything went wrong. I also cannot resize my videos, apparently. or maybe I am too stupid for that. who knows.
4. neutral sharp soft part - no idea.

I think that's it :V here is what my script creator looks like. my version is 2.5.8, if that's important. downloaded the latest shit :V  http://www.abload.de/img/unbenannt3k3jy5.jpg

Zil

« Reply #287 on: November 07, 2012, 04:36:55 PM »
3. I never found an edi menu and did my best to follow what was said (like making scrachpad mp3 and blah, blah.) I also never found the placeholders. I assume this is where everything went wrong. I also cannot resize my videos, apparently. or maybe I am too stupid for that. who knows.
here is what my script creator looks like. my version is 2.5.8, if that's important. downloaded the latest shit :V  http://www.abload.de/img/unbenannt3k3jy5.jpg
Where it says "Script" in the upper right, click that. It takes you to a screen with the placeholders that have # in front of them. Replace them with the stuff Drake said, and it should look like this.

I used what Agent of the BSoD recommended a few pages back instead of what Drake originally said since the colors seem to come out better. Make sure there aren't empty lines or spaces where there shouldn't be. But yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what resizes it, and you need that to get 720p. Probably what you were missing.

Sakurei

• Banned
    • My Blog
« Reply #288 on: November 08, 2012, 03:00:01 PM »
alright, it fixed things. I can now upload 720p videos :v takes me 2 1/2 hours, though. for extras, at least. well, better than nothing. may be just the slow internet today.

can't choose a thumbnail, though, for some reason so everyone will forever have to live with standard youtube gray thumbnail :V

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #289 on: November 10, 2012, 07:57:09 AM »
Yeah, the way that MeGUI does it is that it encodes the videos twice, which is kinda stupid, and thus the colors (mostly red) get changed. Doing it all in VirtualDub seems to allow better color quality and better control in my opinion. (my video players like it better when done in VirtualDub) Plus, MeGUI has been fussy for me in the past. Now what would be really cool is getting a video to look amazing in HD. Like those near-crystal clear videos that you occasionally find on Youtube. I think they're using pro video development programs for those or something, which cost a lot, as I've never been able to get VirtualDub to make videos look that clear. (though maybe using 1080p would help)
TF2 Backpack

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #290 on: November 24, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
Since the OP is dated December '09, I'm assuming there are better ways to record & upload Touhou these days. Can someone give me a quick run-through of the best programs / methods? I shouldn't run into any limitations with my system so go nuts.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #291 on: December 05, 2012, 02:17:05 PM »
My 10 minute videos are like 400mb at mp4 and YouTube won't upload them. Is that considered waaaay too much?

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #292 on: December 05, 2012, 03:00:06 PM »
Just a heads-up.
If you're still making your videos while adding the black borders, i.e. this line:
Code: [Select]
AddBorders(160, 0, 160, 0, 0)Then you should stop doing that.
Youtube now has this thing where this will fuck up the aspect ratio of your video if you watch it via full-screen.

Is that considered waaaay too much?

It shouldn't be I think. My 14 minute video is 500.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #293 on: December 05, 2012, 09:44:29 PM »
I think... the size isn't the problem. The uploader works fine... until it freezes at random intervals. I read up on it and the problem is most likely that my internet loses connection for a split second once in a while. ... I don't really know what to say.

Sakurei

• Banned
    • My Blog
« Reply #294 on: December 05, 2012, 09:47:07 PM »
that shouldn't be a problem, either! when I uploaded my perfect koishi run, my connection died for like 3 hours when I reached 85% on the upload. once I got my connection back it continued where it stopped. had this on other things, too. the span on the koishi one was simply longest.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #295 on: December 05, 2012, 09:48:19 PM »
Well I'm pretty sure I'm connected right now and I sure don't see that 97% moving much. :V

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #296 on: December 05, 2012, 10:00:22 PM »
Okay, nevermind, re-uploaded (even with a different browser) and it froze at 97% AGAIN. The other, longer one kept freezing at 47%. This one is only, like, 100mb. What would cause something like this?

Zil

« Reply #297 on: December 05, 2012, 10:15:29 PM »
That used to happen to me too. I think if you just wait it'll end up working eventually. It's especially common for it to stop at 95% for me. Try leaving it going overnight and if it's still not done then I guess there's an issue.

Some of PoDD uploads were over 2GB, btw. I doubt the size is the issue.

Also, since youtube remembers its progress if the upload is interrupted, different uploads may return to the same spot and seem to stick there if it never got past it before.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #298 on: December 05, 2012, 10:30:52 PM »
It sure did start from scratch three times in a row.

I'm pretty sure the basic uploader will do the trick, though.

« Reply #299 on: December 11, 2012, 06:36:22 AM »
Code: [Select]
AviSynth Script Error:
Script Error: Invalid Arguments to function "BicubicResize"

^- What the heck is this?
I've never had this problem before.
Please Help.