Author Topic: [RO] HatOnline Renewal! Back again!  (Read 207482 times)

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
Re: [RO] HatOnline Renewal! Back again!
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2013, 03:52:10 PM »
Whoa. Just...Whoa. :o
Last time I wasn't able to get in on this, but this time? Hopefully I can get in on the action!
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 04:17:01 PM »
Game seems to have a bad habit of not showing the screen.

http://puu.sh/2uZZD
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 04:23:11 PM by Dlanor A. Knox »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2013, 08:00:26 PM »
Works absolutely fine here. Weirddddddd.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2013, 08:09:41 PM »
Is there a way to go back to the edit options function that popped up? I sort of blew past it b/c avast was having a fit with the game and I just wanted to see it work.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2013, 08:17:41 PM »
setup.exe

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2013, 08:45:19 PM »
K that got it working. For w/e reason there were 4 instances of my graphics card to pick from 3 that didn't work and one that did.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2013, 09:22:30 PM »
Seems that just straight-up running HatOnlineRE.exe in WINE 1.4.1 works just fine. Looking forward to reading up on stuff and getting caught up. I played this for like, a few weeks in 2010, and was just starting to get the hang of it. I might need some tips from you guys here and there, but I'll try to work out most stuff on my own.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2013, 01:04:16 AM »
Are you going to make a healer again Ammy? I overheard TSO and Dormio talking about it last night and it seems we may be in need of those.

I'll probably make a buffbot, though that's 3rd after a merchant to make mad dosh and trans-ing my current Wizard.

Tengukami

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2013, 02:16:00 AM »
Was I a healer last time? Sure, I'll do that again. Everyone needs healers!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2013, 02:23:39 AM »
First group of transcendents has arrived!

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2013, 02:37:50 AM »
First group of transcendents has arrived!

>7x exp
>transcendent already
What the blazing hell.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2013, 03:26:20 AM »
We were actually very slow, I just haven't had the time to properly grind these days.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2013, 09:30:14 AM »
Bbbbbbbbbb

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2013, 10:20:43 AM »
>Level 68
>Still an Acolyte
Are you fucking with me?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2013, 10:26:44 AM »
lolz

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2013, 06:24:37 PM »
Well, finally got in, and so far things are moving smoothly. Still unsure where I'm going to be going classwise.
Figure I'll just go with the flow and pick something that feels right. I take it there's already a surplus of mages, yeah?
Maybe I'll roll up a Rogue for once, since I usually run thieves anyhow. Gotta try something aside from the usual Assassin, eh? Broaden my horizons and such.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2013, 06:35:51 PM »
I think, if I pick this up, I'll be going for Wanderer, Archbishop, or Warlock, I think. Hm.

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2013, 07:43:08 PM »
Welp didn't take me more than 30 minutes to get lost, become a merchant, and not be able to log in b/c it tells me my passwords wrong.

Rejected from server. Welp fuck it...

GJ me for not ever understanding what I read.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 07:48:15 PM by Dlanor A. Knox »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2013, 10:22:53 PM »
PM me your username and a new password and I'll reset it.

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2013, 10:25:45 PM »
It is alright. I have figured out my error.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2013, 10:44:36 PM »
Final stretch before I become third class. :toot:

Tengukami

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2013, 01:32:35 AM »
You know, Gunslinger looks pretty interesting. If Meejee is going after Acolyte anyway, I might just go with that.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2013, 02:04:50 AM »
The only issue I have with gunslingers is that they taper off fast due to being an extended class with no subclasses and basically being an intermediate between a hunter and a sniper.
They are fun though.

Also, while I am planning to make a FS priest later, I'm currently running the monk subclass of Acolyte which is based around punching things rather than assisting allies.

Tengukami

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2013, 02:56:33 AM »
Ah, that's good. I couldn't work out how to start learning to be a Gunslinger, as opposed to just hearing about it, so I went with Acolyte anyways. Have managed the monumental achievement of constructing Mr. Smiley. I forgot how simple the mechanics are, how much they love hotkeys, and how easy it is for me to forget things I need for certain skills or items.

Which reminds me - opening the Quests window shows a garbled language, in every tab. Don't why this is or how to fix it - the font everywhere else seems to be fine.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2013, 03:01:31 AM »
Ah, that's good. I couldn't work out how to start learning to be a Gunslinger, as opposed to just hearing about it, so I went with Acolyte anyways.
The gunslinger job change is in Einbroch. Though there is also a job change NPC in the middle of Prontera too.

Ignore the quest window until you actually pick up quests. The quests I've actually picked up so far haven't had the font issues.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2013, 05:02:49 AM »
Oh.

Right. Full client being 2.3 GB kind of throws a wrench in my plans, because there is no lite installer :shakefists:

It can wait til I get a better internet connection :fail:

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2013, 06:02:36 AM »
So yeah everyone whining about ASPD, apparently kRO uses a completely different ASPD formula than everyone else and it basically makes everything a lot slower without stacking +% ASPD items/cards. iRO and everyone else us a much different formula that isn't quite completely known yet.

So, I'm debating reverting to prerenewal ASPD, simply because I'm aiming for parity with iRO (I can't possibly test on kRO), and while not correct the old formula is closer? Then again, rAthena is aiming for kRO parity so I dunno, fighting the system might be a lot harder.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2013, 06:04:41 AM »
I don't mind either way.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2013, 11:15:10 AM »
Following changes have been made:

• ASPD formula reverted to pre-Renewal. kRO is the only server using the formula that was previously in place, all other servers use a modified version of the pre-Renewal ASPD formula. While not correct, it puts us closer to iRO, which is our current target for parity.
  • XP penality for killing monsters below your character's level removed. The penalty for killing monsters way over your level (+15 or more) is still in place. This effectively "unnerfs" mobbing levelling builds while still giving incentives to kill monsters within your range. Leech levelling is still heavily penalized.

The latter change I can sort of see where kRO was going with this. They wanted to stop high level players from mobbing low level areas and farming all the monsters and preventing low level players from using them, while at the same time giving low level players a bit of the action when it comes to the economy. Same with the drop penalty, although no server other than kRO implements it. But at the same it artifically makes the game slower and longer to play. Agi/mobbing builds were some of the fastest levellers in the game, same with leeching off of super high level creatures. I kept the leech penalty in because the early levels are already effectively trivialized as it is, and I liked the fact by having the leech penalty it encourages you to spread out more for levelling rather than just sitting in the same two maps until 99 (I'm looking at you Sphinx).

The XP penalty against mobbing just makes the game unfun tho, not as much because it slows the game down XP wise, but it gets expensive. On my knight, in order to mob things effectively in my "level range", I was barely breaking even on potion costs. One bad run, one mess up, and I lost money. I was literally broke so I figured I'd go mob skeleton workers or something else I didn't need to pot through. When I saw I was only getting 200 xp a kill, that was kind of absurd. I'm already getting penalized for a non-efficient monster via the levelling bonus. I'd be 99 already had I had the funds to continue mobbing what I was, but since I was broke my game came to a screeching halt until I could get the funds again.

The ASPD nerf, that was purely for cash shop reasons. kRO has not one, not two, but three consumable +% ASPD items in the cash shop, along with +% ASPD gear, and conveniently they all stack. This was purely to promote cash shop sales by heavily heavily nerfing autoattack damage. No other server implements it, which should give you a good idea how "good" of an idea it is.

Basically, both concepts were simply unfun and I removed them. As much as I'd like parity with kRO, tbh there is no "gold" standard for official RO. All the servers do things differently, and the "gold standard", kRO, is effectively a private server anyways since you need a KSSN to play. jRO, the biggest RO server still running, does things drastically different than kRO. iRO, the "official" international server, is closer to kRO but still has made some changes. Then there are servers like the Philippines or Indonesia server that puts in crazy stuff like drop items on death to artifically make the game hard. So to try to chase parity with kRO makes as much sense as chasing parity with iRO or jRO or whatever. AKA I'm just going to go with whatever's the most fun, and if there are renewal mechanics that aren't fun I'm not against removing them or modifying them.

Now when I say "Fun" I mean in the sense of things added in as artifical time sinks, not difficulty. I like hard stuff, I don't like repetitive annoying just for the sake of pedaling cash shop stuff. Things like bowling bash builds are not click to win builds. There's still skill involved. There is no skill involved in buying ASPD candy with mommy's credit card, or using ygg leaves on Anubises all day :b
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 11:21:22 AM by helvetica »

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2013, 11:42:23 AM »
I might give this a bit of a spin. Never played before, these sort of games tend to turn me away with grinding tedium, but,with boosted rates, might be worth a try.

Need to have a look at the game beforehand, of course, but just voicing interest.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 11:50:33 AM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.