Author Topic: Making a translation patch for Gensou Shoujyo Taisen  (Read 4868 times)

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
Making a translation patch for Gensou Shoujyo Taisen
« on: November 19, 2010, 09:40:56 AM »

Basic Idea of the thread
To create a working english patch for the game "Gensou Shoujyo Taisen (幻想少女対戦)" by Sanbondo
Which is basically a parody of Super Robot Wars F using touchou characters and some systems unique to Touhou.

The "talk"
Playing through the game for some time I noticed how well made of a game it was and thought it strange that people haven't stated it as much on MoTK. So I took the time to make a few entries in the Wiki but soon noticed it futile if people couldn't experience the game in English.

Thus I'm calling forth to people who have the skills and talent to hack in to games like this and ask if they can spare some of their time in helping me make a translation patch of this game.

I also want to ask of people who excel in the English language if any of them can spare some time to watch over my coarse English and help convey the touhou feel embedded in this strategy RPG.

For the time being, the game is quite short and there aren't too many lines to it (Compared to some of the other stuff I've been through atleast) so I think I'll be good by myself in terms of translation, but if anything does happen to stall my progress I might ask for additional translators to help deliver this great creation in English.

Shortly Put...
Positions needed:
-hackers
-editors

Important!

Since the game seems to have bugs in its earlier versions, please apply the patches provided by Sanbondou* so that we can be on the same page.
*Apply the patches in order of lower to higher because, some won't initiate if you start from a higher patch!
**Try not to download different parts from different mirrors, since they seem to be non compatible!

Thanks!
(Well, for your good too, since the game freezes when you use Special skills in any version lower then 1.01...)

Also, sorry this ended up as a long OP, and thank you for your patience to read through this!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:47:09 AM by Sabino »

Re: Making a translation patch for Gensou Shoujyo Taisen
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 09:49:05 AM »
I think the reason why this game hasn't attracted much attention in terms of hacking and translation is because of the existence of another group already working on a translation patch for it (I believe Hong Meiling from 4chan's /jp/ and Sensei-Hanzo are part of the team). I personally would've been working on this over Genius of Sappheiros if I wasn't aware of that.

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 09:54:55 AM »
I think the reason why this game hasn't attracted much attention in terms of hacking and translation is because of the existence of another group already working on a translation patch for it (I believe Hong Meiling from 4chan's /jp/ and Sensei-Hanzo are part of the team). I personally would've been working on this over Genius of Sappheiros if I wasn't aware of that.

Personally, I don't think there's much difference even if there was two groups working on it or a hundred groups working on it for that matter, since I remember many cases when some patches wern't as great as somepeople expected it to be but people had no other patch to run to since other people threw out the idea of making one since one group was already making it. (I can at least remember that the patch for touhou unreal Mahjong being a bit of a disappointment...)
So, personally I don't think people will care if there are multiple translation patches, since people have different beliefs on what they believe is better.
But anyhow, thanks for your notice about it!

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 10:19:02 AM »
Personally, I don't think there's much difference even if there was two groups working on it or a hundred groups working on it for that matter, since I remember many cases when some patches wern't as great as somepeople expected it to be but people had no other patch to run to since other people threw out the idea of making one since one group was already making it. (I can at least remember that the patch for touhou unreal Mahjong being a bit of a disappointment...)
So, personally I don't think people will care if there are multiple translation patches, since people have different beliefs on what they believe is better.
But anyhow, thanks for your notice about it!

Well, I just feel that its a bit wasteful for two different groups to translate the same Touhou doujin game right now, especially since there are very few translation patches for doujin games to begin with, and there's definitely more well-made ones that could use them (AQUASTYLE's roguelikes come to mind). Of course, I can completely understand and relate if its more a case of wanting to translate a game because you really like it, heh.  I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from working on it, for sure; just giving a possible reason why there hasn't been much of an attempt to hack it around the usual circles. Extracting and re-inserting correctly can be a tedious and arduous process; just see how much trouble the ones doing GoS are having right now. Having other groups already doing a patch for this game can make some hackers decide that it's not worth the effort. (Though admittedly, I've heard this game's encryption is a lot easier to handle than GoS's)

For what it's worth, if this project does get off the ground (i.e finds a hacker), I'll be willing to perform editing duties once I'm done with GoS. Also, I believe you forgot another important role that you probably will need to fill (unless you can perform it yourself); image editors.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 01:46:43 PM »
While I'm probably too busy to do actual translating, I wouldn't mind helping with general editing.