Author Topic: Translators needed to expidite CtC dialogue patch  (Read 31787 times)

Translators needed to expidite CtC dialogue patch
« on: April 28, 2009, 08:27:17 PM »
Back in January of this year, I took an interest in the Touhou fangame, Concealed the Conclusion. The story is what caught my attention, and as soon as I discovered applocal, I was able to start enjoying the gameplay as well.

And then I discovered where the dialogue was stored. I tinkered with the script file for the stage 1A boss dialogue some, and this was the result.
Since then, I've been transferring the Touhou wiki's English translations of the dialogue into the game, and I'm almost done; only stages 2D and 3D remain unedited.

However, the wiki does not have translations for these stages.

So, rather than wait for someone to come along and translate it there for the sake of making the article complete, I've come here to ask for assistance in completing my patch.

The Touhou wiki(links to translation page for Scenario D, may contain spoilers) has the raw Japanese text for those stages, and I've confirmed that it matches the text in the script files.

Now, though there are some other things that remain untranslated(menu item descriptions, endings), nearly everything that could have an English translation inserted outside of the player character script(character select text, bomb name) and in-game dialogue is held in encrypted files in the DATA folder, and until such time as an unpacker/repacker is made for this particular encryption, I won't be able to do anything with the endings, titlecard text, spellcard names, spell practice comments, or BGM names. That's why I'm calling this a dialogue patch, as opposed to an English patch: that's pretty much the only thing I'm able to change at the moment.

So, to anyone willing to take up the task, I ask that you do not post your translations(or any other spoilers, for that matter) in this topic, but rather that you edit the wiki and/or PM me, making sure to differentiate between line breaks, and dialogue steps(that is, the point where you have to press a key to move the dialogue along).

---

My next request goes to anyone with coding/scripting experience with Danmakufu; as some of you may know, Danmakufu uses an automatic character wrap for its dialogue; the text automatically moves to the next line.
However, this is based on the number of characters, not the length of the message, so as a result, there is a wealth of unused space in each line when using English, even when the character wrap kicks in. And as it is, the number of characters allotted is very restrictive... I have regularly had to make word replacements, forgo punctuation, place some of the message in the previous dialogue step, and even completely rewrite lines in order for them to fit within the restrictions.
In fact, the last dialogue step before the final boss was so long, and of such importance that I was not able to place in a translation at all; this dialogue step is still in Japanese in my patch's current state of development.

So if anyone knows a way to circumvent the character limit(or worst case scenario, how to temporarily draw an image over the dialogue box), this information could be used to greatly improve the quality of the English dialogue.

---

Now, I haven't unlocked Phantasm. The wiki's instructions on how to do so were completely wrong, and though I have transplanted the dialogue for Phantasm after using a different stage to typeset and test it, I still need to test it in context. If anyone could tell me how to unlock phantasm, or has done so him/herself and has a replay(or is at least confident that they are able to beat it on a whim), tell me!

---

Next up, I'm wondering if anyone can identify the fonts(and a way to precisely duplicate the gradient white outline on the text, if that isn't inherent in the font) used in the titlecard graphics(shown here). I have already edited the Japanese text out of most of them, and can provide the PSD files to anyone who can do a professional job of inserting the English text and cleaning up any signs of the original Japanese text that I was unable to fix.

---

The English text on the bomb names doesn't space between certain English letters properly; adding an additional space to try and correct this further complicates the issue by squeezing together other letters, and sometimes spaced it too far. Any info on how to resolve this issue would be appreciated, and the edited Player files can be provided if finding out how to do so requires it.

---

Does anyone know how to make a self-extracting patch file? One that would be able to check the version of CtC to make sure it matches, place all the files where they need to go, and make backups of the files that would otherwise be replaced? This is low priority, and not needed in order to make a release, but it would make installing the patch more convenient.

---

Finally, there is the issue of the version of CtC this patch is intended for. Now, the version I edited the script files of is either R2.00, or R2.01; I used a patch after installing from the ISO(placing the Danmakufu folder named tn_dnh and MANUAL in a folder named Concealed the Conclusion and all that jazz), and the patch was supposed to go up to R2.01, and it appeared to work when I used it. However, when selecting CtC in Danmakufu, it instead said that it was R2.00. This also happened with my two playtesters when they installed and patched.

Is this normal? Is it actually R2.01, or did the patch just not work? And if it IS the case that it was a problem with the patch, is there a way to fix it? Which files are updated from R2.00 to R2.01?

If anyone can answer any of these questions, it would be greatly appreciated, and would go a long way towards ensuring that the dialogue patch doesn't mess anything up.

---

Well, that's my checklist of stuff I need help with. The patch will be ready for its initial release after the dialogue in stages 2D, 3D, and the dialogue step I mentioned in Stage 6 have been finished, and the entirety of the patch tested among a wider test group. If any of the other issues are resolved, or any improvements are made after the initial release, I'll be sure to make a follow-up release as soon as they are integrated into the patch.

I've already done most of the work, but I'll need your help in order to finish it! If anyone thinks they can help with any of the things mentioned above, speak up so we can get this thing out faster!

...And try to keep the topic spoiler-free. ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 07:03:51 PM by Prime 2.0 »
The SoEW patch has had its second release, come and get it!

Drake

Re: Translators needed to expidite CtC dialogue patch
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 10:44:35 PM »
I'm slowly translating 2D, but I might get bored halfway through just so you know :V

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 11:48:49 PM »

Does anyone know how to make a self-extracting patch file? One that would be able to check the version of CtC to make sure it matches, place all the files where they need to go, and make backups of the files that would otherwise be replaced? This is low priority, and not needed in order to make a release, but it would make installing the patch more convenient.

I know that several of the other Touhou patches (including mine) use NSIS (http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page) to create a single file executable that will unpackage all the patch's files to a temp directory then run the actual patch.  I personally used the 2nd script on this page to get the job done: http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/SingleFileExecutable

Note this tutorial is used in the context of an executable built with py2exe, but it should work for any arbitrary executable with dependent files.

Also for checking versions I generated checksums to compare against with sha1, and instead of worrying about backing up files I just create new patched copies rather than tamper with the originals.  I recommend this approach as it means the patch could be run multiple times without really affecting anything, since the copies will be overwritten each time.

Gpop

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 12:08:08 AM »
Oh god finally someone's patching this.

I love you for this.

Drake

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 12:53:57 AM »
dan translattin

might do 3D later, but don't count on it

Herasy

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 01:58:15 PM »
Would be nice to see some translator helping Rufus finish up the PoFV translation patch too.

Hooray for this though.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 10:02:28 PM »
I know that several of the other Touhou patches (including mine) use NSIS (http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page) to create a single file executable that will unpackage all the patch's files to a temp directory then run the actual patch.  I personally used the 2nd script on this page to get the job done: http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/SingleFileExecutable

Note this tutorial is used in the context of an executable built with py2exe, but it should work for any arbitrary executable with dependent files.

Also for checking versions I generated checksums to compare against with sha1, and instead of worrying about backing up files I just create new patched copies rather than tamper with the originals.  I recommend this approach as it means the patch could be run multiple times without really affecting anything, since the copies will be overwritten each time.
Most of that flew over my head, but I'll be sure to give it a try. Thanks for the info.

dan translattin

might do 3D later, but don't count on it
And I've finished getting your translation in there... though I'm hoping someone will be able to come along and translate that line you said you couldn't quite understand. Regardless, thank you.

Well, that's a step closer to release. Now I just need to find a way to display that line from stage 6 despite the auto-character wrap, test phantasm's dialogue in-context, and get a translation for stage 3D.

...though the other things I mentioned in my first post still apply, of course.

Nub Slayer

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 03:34:15 AM »
CtC translation?

You sir, are my hero.

Benny1

• Die The Death! Sentence to death! Great equalizer is The Death!
  • Dlanor of the Ten Wedges
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 12:33:22 PM »
Oh cool, somebody else cares about this, this is awesome.

The title gradient would be trivial.  The idea with that isn't to replicate the gradient and totally redo it, but use the clone stamp vertically to deal with it.  If you need me to, I can do that.

It's nice to see phantasm got translated, I wasn't aware.  I'll spend a little bit of time working to get the rest of those spell card photos, I guess.

Cool to see somebody else caring about this though.

Also, if it still says 2.00, you probably have 2.01, but it's a bug.  Oh well.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 02:27:57 PM by Benny1 »

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 06:49:13 PM »
The title gradient would be trivial.  The idea with that isn't to replicate the gradient and totally redo it, but use the clone stamp vertically to deal with it.  If you need me to, I can do that.

No, I didn't mean I needed to re-create the color gradient background, I meant I needed a way to recreate the white gradient surrounding text for the level's title. But additionally, I need the fonts used for this(there are two of them, one that is used for Japanese text, and a cursive English font).

Also, if it still says 2.00, you probably have 2.01, but it's a bug.  Oh well.

You sure? That's good to know. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 07:50:50 PM by Prime 2.0 »

Momizi Inubashiri

• Banned
  • For :files:
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 02:52:40 AM »
love you for doing this
CTC is one of my fav touhou fan games

hows it going so far?

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 04:37:01 AM »
love you for doing this
my exact thoughts

sadly i can't help out with this, since i don't speak a word of japanese. good luck with it though :)

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 06:02:17 AM »
love you for doing this
CTC is one of my fav touhou fan games

hows it going so far?

I've made a revision to the existing translations in stage 3B, still need to find the font used by the titlecard graphics, still need to find a way around Danmakufu's character limit for the last line of text before the boss in stage 6, have verified that 1ccing hard mode as all shot types doesn't unlock phantasm(by doing it myself... the wiki is full of shit.), and am still looking(hoping) for someone to translate stage 3D.

In short, almost nothing has happened since my last post for the same reason that I made this topic; I need help to do anything further.

Momizi Inubashiri

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 01:54:53 AM »
alice: はぁ?あんた私の見ないところで
ちゃんと強くなってるのね

my trans: Huh... I'm becomeing stronger?, I dont see exactly.

(yah i suck at this kinda)

but if your willing to take my help i will be glad to help as i can

(pm me your copy of the patch and i can see on translating that stage 3D)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 01:57:31 AM by Momizi Inubashiri »

Drake

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 01:22:15 AM »
Web translating will do absolutely nothing, by the way.

Momizi Inubashiri

• Banned
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 11:08:30 PM »
i have been trying to file reports to the wiki to fix this problem.
i got some sites working on it also.
the olny thing is that some of the words traslate out into places so we dont know if to translate them out to...

like for example Oni = demon

but most of it is done but someparts are missing/missunderstod

Momizi Inubashiri

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 10:03:10 PM »
this thread need to stay alive.

like i was saying someof the text i dont understand
so anyone else want to help?

Verc

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 10:16:48 PM »
I want to help but I don't know Japanese.
Is there anything other than translating i can help with?

Momizi Inubashiri

• Banned
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 01:32:24 AM »
BUMP KEEP THIS ALIVE

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 02:36:26 AM »
Well, since Grimoire of Marisa was finished and I STILL don't have any new transcriptions to work with for Touhou Soccer, I did Scenario D just now and might work on the spell cards later.

Benny1

• Die The Death! Sentence to death! Great equalizer is The Death!
  • Dlanor of the Ten Wedges
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 08:15:36 PM »
Spellcards is futile, nobody knows how to hack them in.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 12:55:24 AM »
Well, I guess I'll do them afterwards so it can at least be used as a reference. What else needs to be done so the patch can be made?

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 02:05:11 AM »
Well, since Grimoire of Marisa was finished and I STILL don't have any new transcriptions to work with for Touhou Soccer, I did Scenario D just now and might work on the spell cards later.

A little bit before you made the translations, I commissioned a different translator to do the work; however, I still need to get the second draft from him. Owing to some issues with phrasing and proper English(as well as conflicts of content with the first draft from the other translator), I'll be consolidating your work with his once I receive it to make what will go into the final patch. For the moment however, the script files are using your translations(Or what I could fit of them into the auto-wrap).

Well, I guess I'll do them afterwards so it can at least be used as a reference. What else needs to be done so the patch can be made?

Danmakufu itself will need to be altered so that we can get an English pause menu, and perhaps to extend the auto-character wrap. The final line in stage 6 is simply too long to fit in, even when gutted, and it's far too important to leave out. There are several other instances in which changes in dialogue had to be made to accommodate the restrictive size, and I'd prefer to have them bear a closer resemblance to the original script than they do now.

As for translation work, what remains is almost exclusively material that will be put in later as knowledge of hacking CtC and Danmakufu improves to allow us to do so. These include spellcard descriptions, last word unlock requirements, menu items, menu item descriptions, and the endings. Furthermore, there may be Japanese written material somewhere that describes the means to unlock phantasm.

Lastly, the fonts used by the titlecards(both for the "concealed the conclusion" and the level name) are needed to complete edits to the titlecard images.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 09:33:55 PM »
Please do not bump ancient threads up. Especially you, as a non-newbie member, should probably have read the rules (I hope). This thread is almost a year old, you could have created a new thread.

Feel free to create a new thread instead of bumping old ones.

Locking before ancient touhou gods become angry.