Author Topic: How to get to grips with Touhou - general hints, tips and advice!  (Read 208790 times)

EndlessBlue

• The Youkai Lingering in the Past
  • The moment you realize no one cares.
Re: How to get to grips with Touhou - general hints, tips and advice!
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2014, 09:53:42 PM »
Always remember, it's better to bomb stupidly than die stupidly. True words of wisdom.
You should always try your best. Or use my strategy and hug the bottom and pray not to die.

Andrew

• Retired player
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2014, 09:42:11 PM »
I think it should be mentioned somewhere in the first post that it's a good idea to download the vpatch for the older Windows games, to get rid of the input lag that those games have on most computers. The vpatch will improve your performace in the older games quite a bit if you don't have it already, especially for EoSD and PCB. If other people don't think it belongs here because it's more like technical advice than a gameplay tip (Though input lag does affect gameplay), then perhaps a new sticky could be created for it. I noticed a surprising number of players who had been playing the games with input lag all this time, and didn't think to try the vpatch until I mentioned it in the rage thread, so I think posting about the patch along with a download link for it in the first post of a sticky would raise awareness of it. While it could go in the technical forum, I think most players are less likely to read it there, compared to here, so I think an HME sticky would be the best place for it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:52:58 AM by Andrew »

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2014, 12:21:10 AM »
Not a bad idea to mention it; I don't feel it belongs in this thread, but I'll stick a link to the touhouwiki page with the vsync patches available in the 'Welcome to HME' post.
Let's fight.

Andrew

• Retired player
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2014, 06:01:01 AM »
Thanks. Hope it helps inform more players about the patch in the future.

« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2014, 02:39:06 AM »
I kind of have an odd question here, but is it at all normal to do better in lunatic than you do in easy? cause apparently I can do that, no clue how since I usually use a continue in the first stage of easy, also it doesn't seem to only be a single game it's usually right across the board.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2014, 02:53:12 AM »
Not really, but I can think of a few reasons for that.

1. Lunatic is overwhelming, so you bomb a lot.  On easy, you think you can handle it and don't bomb, but die as a result.  If so, bomb more  :V
2. Easy is too easy so you don't pay attention.  If so, try normal  :V

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
  • ♪ Present World Overhaul ♪
« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2014, 07:08:16 PM »
Thanks. Hope it helps inform more players about the patch in the future.
I am grateful for being reminded of it. It was the key to clearing Flandre.

No one should be ripped of an Extra Clear or 1cc because of input lag.
I play Touhou on Twitch and YouTube. I'm not that good, but I'm informative when I can be. Follow me.

Nolegs the Cat

• >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ. >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ.
« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2014, 07:21:10 AM »
I'm a normal player, so I'm not sure how useful this would be, but a video said it's a good idea to focus on the gaps between bullets as well if not more then the bullets themselves... I managed to get from Yuyu's first spell on hard with 5 starting lives to the middle of 50% re-flowering with 5 starting lives. Not sure if it did help or if I just got lucky, but if I didn't then it could be a good tip. Ironically, I got this from a video of easy mode...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 08:12:45 AM by Nolegs the Cat »

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #128 on: December 09, 2014, 03:56:57 AM »
OK I've about had it with this. I've been playing IaMP again and trying on harder difficulties and for some reason the most trouble I have is against Marisa's Stardust Reverie (aka her first spell card! Grr!), I have trouble getting the timing of when to hit her and have no idea why I have trouble jumping over her. I tried looking for replays so I can see how other people do it but no luck. I've also tried playing on lunatic and how the heck do people dodge all that crap?! I powered through Marisa with Reimu but Alice just had nonstop attacks that I couldn't dodge.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2014, 04:13:55 PM »
Ok I am new and I started on Touhou 6 and I was wondering. How do I tell which ones I can dodge, and what is graze. Because sometimes I walk through the smaller pro]ectiles and even sometimes some of the larger ones. also on the config it says x is block and the power or bombs but I only end up using the power

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2014, 11:08:59 PM »
Graze is when you get close to a bullet without actually hitting it. It's a major factor is almost all scoring system of the regular shooters, with the exceptions of Touhou 2 (which had no graze yet), Touhou 10 (which has no graze) and to an extent Touhou 13 (where graze is fairly obsolete). Touhou 1, 3 and 9 aren't regular shooters so there's no graze in them either, but for every other main game, graze is very important if you want to play for score. It doesn't really have any survival purposes.

Cream Soda

• stage 2 boss
« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2014, 06:06:54 AM »
Ok I am new and I started on Touhou 6 and I was wondering. How do I tell which ones I can dodge, and what is graze. Because sometimes I walk through the smaller pro]ectiles and even sometimes some of the larger ones. also on the config it says x is block and the power or bombs but I only end up using the power
The hitboxes are smaller than the sprites, especially on the player character. X is the "bomb" button and makes you temporarily invincible. Bombing is the only way to block bullets.

Maple

• Mukyuu!
« Reply #132 on: January 01, 2015, 04:01:23 PM »
Lasers. How do they work? In technical aspects, are they multiple sprites one after other or a single, elongated sprite? Now more on-topic, does getting close to the laser give me 1 graze point or multiple graze points? I think that was the case with the orb's six lasers in SA stage 4, my mind is nebulous about Kaguya's Dragon Jewel (i'm sure that one are elongated triangles), Shou's lasers (curvy and not), and Alice's Bunraku.

Cream Soda

• stage 2 boss
« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2015, 05:48:20 AM »
In the older games, lasers give you 1 graze each second or something like that (someone correct me if I'm wrong). In the newer games (SA onward), lasers give you graze very quickly and constantly.

anthonyshu01

• Rin Kaenbyou
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2015, 04:29:30 AM »
How come sometimes my bombs hit super high on a boss but sometimes deal almost no damage at all. Do you need to position yourself somewhere to get the maximum damage out of a bomb or something?

Drake

« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2015, 04:51:17 AM »
Some bombs do more damage with better positioning, but in general if a glowy thing that explodes is hitting the boss then it's probably doing damage. For example, in PCB Reimu's Duplex Barrier only does damage in a square, and Marisa's Non-Directional Laser deals anywhere from "ok" damage to "outrageous" depending on positioning. There's some data on bombs in the sticky just a few threads down.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Ozzter

• Just lurking around, don't mind me.
« Reply #136 on: March 16, 2015, 05:58:07 PM »
Something I've been curious about, but are there actual differences in hitbox sizes in EoSD, or item collection ranges as well? I feel like Marisa has the same hitbox as Reimu at times, and I have so far been only able to capture Royal Flare as Marisa, so I'm not sure on this.
Saying I rarely post is an understatement... but I'm always here...!

« Reply #137 on: March 16, 2015, 06:14:39 PM »
Marisa and Reimu have the same basic stats in EoSD, the only difference between them (ignoring shot types and bombs) is that Marisa is faster. Additional special abilities such as Reimu's smaller hitbox were added in PCB.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:20:05 PM by Not Bigode »

« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2016, 04:22:55 PM »
Is there any tips to make combos on PoFV? I tried to find replays to help but it is an obscure game Dx
Sometimes I can manage to summon one or two bosses, but it's very common to drop my combo before the 100k bonus.

Cream Soda

• stage 2 boss
« Reply #139 on: April 05, 2016, 04:00:15 AM »
Unfocus as much as possible because this will make fairies appear more quickly. Try to cancel spirits and bullets with their explosion radius. Use level 2 spells as much as you can and try to maximize the fairies, spirits, and bullets inside the circle when you use it. As the match gains momentum there will be more opportunities to do this. Everything you need to know is here.

« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2016, 08:32:25 PM »
Unfocus as much as possible because this will make fairies appear more quickly. Try to cancel spirits and bullets with their explosion radius. Use level 2 spells as much as you can and try to maximize the fairies, spirits, and bullets inside the circle when you use it. As the match gains momentum there will be more opportunities to do this. Everything you need to know is here.
Thanks! I didn't know about the focus o:
I tried to search about it before but only found the guides of the two wikis. It's hard to find something about this game or people that still play :(

« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2016, 11:35:59 PM »
In EOSD is marisa B good for if i just wanna 1cc the game for the first time? or is it harder to clear with her?

« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2016, 09:33:58 PM »
In EOSD is marisa B good for if i just wanna 1cc the game for the first time? or is it harder to clear with her?
Well based on my personal experience generally Marisa is a bit hard to use because of her fast movement speed that can make her hard to control and her narrow shooting range that requires you to be directly in front of the enemy to do damage but she balance this with her speed that made her able to chase the enemies compensating her's poor shooting range and an higher attack that permits her to quickly defeat enemies if she get them in her's shooting range. That's said Marisa b in EoSD is particular because of her's bomb master spark that makes a lot of damages and last longer than the others bombs, so to answer to your question, it depends: if you lose because it took too much time to defeat enemies and feel like your bomb don't last long enough she may be good but you still need to get used to her narrow shooting range and her speed, otherwise I suggest using Reimu a (I got my first 1cc with her) also for now avoid Reimu b: is a good shoot type but it got the hardest fight with Patchouli
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 09:35:36 PM by R.P. »

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2016, 09:52:52 PM »
SA is probably the game you'll want to use bombs in most sparingly; it's like MoF, except minus the 1.00 buffer (it caps at 4.00), there's less chance of getting your power back from autocollect, and the bombs themselves are far weaker. Using too many is likely to hinder you at the very least, so only use them if you need them - having said that, it's still always better to bomb than to die.
I would argue that SA is still one of the most generous games bombing-wise, though indeed it has some of the weakest bombs in the series. Using power as bombs is too op.
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
  • ♪ Present World Overhaul ♪
« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2016, 06:25:33 PM »
Yeah SA has really stupidly weak bombs. SA isn't too stingy at least. It's certainly no EoSD in the department of skimping you out of resources, as long as you don't die on boss attacks you can get ton of lives.

Considering how difficult SA is compared to other games, you kinda need that. :V
I play Touhou on Twitch and YouTube. I'm not that good, but I'm informative when I can be. Follow me.

Aldnox

• EoSD addict
« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2016, 02:42:46 AM »
This is super useful. Thanks for putting this together!

Tashi

• Charming Devil!
  • For all of my life... A stranger I remain.
« Reply #146 on: October 29, 2016, 02:24:53 PM »
One good thing about Touhou is that, by becoming a regular player of a high difficulty (hard, for example) the below difficulty will not be much problem (In this case, Normal). Proof of this is that when I first started with Touhou EoSD, did not know I how to finish it in easy. After so much practice playing at normal (And 1cc it) at this moment I consider myself a normal player, able to 1cc player in this difficulty. Needless to say, if I decide to play a little the easy difficulty to see as it is, almost use no bombs and do not die (That ego, my god). Actually, this is simple logic.

I have to say it... I HATE LAZORS! It's me or they appear to have a larger hitbox than they pretend to have, because the last spell card of Nitori in MoF REKT me everytime (if I don't bomb. I'm the type of players that don't want to bomb so much  :getdown: )
ALL HAIL PROPOSALING-SAMA. SURPRISE FOR HIM.

« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2016, 03:13:23 PM »
I really believe the "hugging aganist the walls while focused will make you move even slower  , allowing for ultra precise movement" trick should be somewhere in the OP.

I know I know, it seems kinda off seeing as another tip is to not just stay below and use most of your screen to dodge, but hey, it IS a good trick to know and can come in handy at times in my opinion, its not common but it certainly has its uses...at the very least a mention of it would not hurt?

Onion

• Classic era Marisa-like entity
  • Failing at Touhou since 2000-something
« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2016, 04:25:00 AM »
I have the issue most new players have, where I don't bomb enough.
But, when I die, I feel like "I can handle this" all the way up until I die!
How do I learn to feel "Now is a good time to bomb"?
Also, I'm playing EoSD, and I have doubts that deathbombing actually exists in this game. Out of curiosity, I've tried deliberately deathbombing, to no avail. Can it actually be done? Or was it not implemented yet?
Please wait warmly. Girls are intentionally leaving this space blank.

Since everybody has these: 1CC PoDD ez, 1CC(?) EoSD ez, PD LoLK, something something HM ULiL

« Reply #149 on: December 19, 2016, 07:45:04 PM »
Also, I'm playing EoSD, and I have doubts that deathbombing actually exists in this game. Out of curiosity, I've tried deliberately deathbombing, to no avail. Can it actually be done? Or was it not implemented yet?
You can indeed deathbomb in EoSD, but the timing feels much stricter than in later games, and I also feel like the timing window is kinda random. Like, sometimes I'm sure I had pressed the bomb button the instant I was hit, if not before, but I'll still die anyway. But other times, I'll feel like I was late on the bomb button, but the deathbomb was still successful. However, maybe that's just my perception playing tricks on me. I don't know. (Note that if you do successfully deathbomb in EoSD, it'll still add 1 to your "miss" counter at the end-of-game statistics screen, but I think that's because it counts the number of times you were hit, not the number of times you actually die.)