Author Topic: If you can add a new type of enemy to the games...  (Read 3119 times)

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
If you can add a new type of enemy to the games...
« on: July 31, 2014, 01:51:43 PM »
I'm not talking about the bosses, I'm talking about the normal enemies like the Kedamas, fairies and such.

So far, the games have Red Fairies, Blue Fairies, Green Fairies, Sunflower Fairies, Kedamas, Evil Eyes, Bake-Bake...

So, what type of new enemy would you like to add to the games?

My idea:

Fairy Zombies
Actual undeads, unlike the ones from SA. They will not shoot, but instead, they will make a beeline for the player and then kamikazes themselves. Very little HP but very fast.

Heli-Kappa
Appearance is self-explanatory. They will take potshots at the player with their akimbo water guns, and occasionally toss out a water bomb that frags danmaku at many directions.
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

CK Crash

• boozer
Re: If you can add a new type of enemy to the games...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 02:43:22 PM »
I'd like to see non-humanoid youkai. Characters like Chen and Mamizou appear in humanoid form, but it's possible that they're simply powerful examples of their respective species. We've seen numerous tanuki in Hopeless Masquerade, so there's a good chance that there are non-humanoid nekomata, kitsune, etc. lurking around as well.

As for ingame behaviors:

Tanuki would appear disguised as leaves, before suddenly transforming and attacking at the same time. Functionally similar to the fairies on Chen's stage.

Nekomatas would follow strange movement patterns like Orin, and have more health than small fairies. Having them move back and forth while attacking is enough to make their danmaku unique.

Kitsunes would be rarer enemies that fire particularly intricate or geometrical patterns. They are very clever enemies, so they use smart attacks rather than overwhelming ones.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 03:25:51 PM »
Bring back the silly-looking ghosts from the PC98 games. They kind of just vanished without an explanation, which is a shame because they had a pretty distinctive design (although admittedly, it might clash with the modern designs)

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 04:05:11 PM »
The card suit enemies from MS Extra. They added that slight bit of playfulness to Alice's stage and contributed to the atmosphere that implies that it's a heavy reference to Alice in Wonderland.
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 05:49:11 AM »
More environmental enemies, like EoSD stage 2 ice and SA stage 1 rocks. Maybe something like large fireballs that emit smaller fire bullets when shot and then eventually break into smaller fireballs.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
Just realized something...
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 10:09:11 AM »
This topic was supposed to be in the TARC.
Mods if you are reading this, it will be helpful if you can move it there.
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

Kimidori

• Undefined Fantastic Girl, Nue
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 11:38:50 AM »
Fairy Zombies
Actual undeads, unlike the ones from SA. They will not shoot, but instead, they will make a beeline for the player and then kamikazes themselves. Very little HP but very fast.

Well, that would contradict established canon in both the game and written works.

"No matter what, cute is justice. If you're watching shows without moe, you should really be questioning your life decisions. The creation of 2D anime girls is the pinnacle of human achievement." -Logan M

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Just realized something...
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 05:31:52 PM »
This topic was supposed to be in the TARC.
Mods if you are reading this, it will be helpful if you can move it there.
Hi, I moved your thread, because it will have a better home here than in TARC.  HME is for gameplay discussion, while TARC is for fandom discussion. There's of course some gray area there between the two, but generally speaking, HME is where you want to go to talk about gameplay.

And I too want more environmental enemies - especially if they popped right out of the background (e.g., early Stage 4 of MoF).

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 08:38:35 PM »
Grounded enemies might be interesting, or maybe some obstacles you can destroy for power/score items.

I also think it would be nice to bring back those PC98 spell circles (also found at the end of PCB's Extra stages)

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

Emerald Mint

• Gemstone
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 02:35:11 PM »
I know this is wishful thinking, but what about machines or machine hybrids?

maybe some obstacles you can destroy for power/score items.
I am reminded of Area 5 of Phantasmagoria Trues. Was a fun concept to boot around, since it can be a pain to get every last item and shoot the blocks quick enough.

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 01:09:10 PM »
what about this ;)

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
  • ♪ Present World Overhaul ♪
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 09:17:15 AM »
Bring back the silly-looking ghosts from the PC98 games. They kind of just vanished without an explanation, which is a shame because they had a pretty distinctive design (although admittedly, it might clash with the modern designs)
THIS. IS BASICALLY. ALL I WANT.
I play Touhou on Twitch and YouTube. I'm not that good, but I'm informative when I can be. Follow me.