Author Topic: [Music] The Roland TTS-1 Remake Project  (Read 47024 times)

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Re: [Music] The Roland TTS-1 Remake Project *It's back!*
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2012, 04:18:30 AM »
YES YES YES MORE OF THIS STUFF and goddamnit TTS-1 and Hyper Canvas no longer work on my Win7 install, have to use Win2k3 for them now >:(

I'd say that the intro Orchestra have a bit too much waspy effect and attack, but other than that it's extremely faithful to the original.

Back to work for me too.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2012, 09:59:24 PM »
Hi
I really like your remakes with TTS-1 but I don't like the imitation-romantic trumpet...Exception in EoSD stage 1 theme

Hum...I 'm very interested in this logiciel and before I buy hyper canvas I want to know if there is an electronic-drum set. And I want to know if reeds are good and if there is somes ZUN's synth...

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2012, 10:46:40 PM »
The electronic drumset in Hyper Canvas is not very good, I'll say.

As for the reeds, ZUN does use Flute Vib. on the SD-90 (notably in MoF extra stage) but the reeds, generally speaking, are so-so.

Personally, Chester-low, I'd just save up for the real deal and constantly hunt on eBay for SD-80/90s. Most of the time they are in US$550-600 range, but every now and then better ones come around (bought mine in summer for under $200).
Bad command or file name

« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2012, 01:36:26 AM »
Hyper Canvas isn't worth the money on its own. It's mainly based on SD-90's Classical Set, which has patches that have (intentionally) basic programing. This set is very useful when used in conjunction with the Contemporary and Solo sets, but it was never meant to be used on its own. That's the problem with Hyper Canvas.

Quite a few patches had their samples replaced and sound different compared to their SD-90 version. Here's a list of them.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:26:33 AM by Romantique Tp »

« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2012, 12:16:07 PM »
?kay I make a topic for that ( I don't want to flood on this topic)

« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2012, 03:16:27 AM »
sup

http://youtu.be/An9hyw-zZYU

Abrupt registration aside, I've been looking into this topic of research a looooong while back. The SD90 was out of production for a while, so I'd probably have a hard time obtaining one of those. So I decided to lurk moar on the internets. My journey took me to Nico, where rumors of a THFont circulated. Supposedly, it emulated the SD90 quite well. But my Japanese isn't that great (read: terribad) so I wasn't able to get much after that. Some time later, THFont surfaces on the American side of the net.

"Use it with FL Studio," they said.

Tried it. Nope. Sounded terrible. Either this was a bad trolling attempt by the Nico folks or there was something wrong with the soundfont or the way I/thecommunity was using it. It sounded like an ordinary instrument set, aside from the Romantic TP. Even then, the vibrato and timbre sounded way off. So it couldn't be FL Studio.

A year or so passed, and then something happened. I can't really remember that far back, but I looked through various Japanese imageboards and found an updated version of the THFont, revision 9. I still had the same problem in FL Studio, so I concluded it was definitely a problem with how we were using the font. At this point my Japanese was a bit better (read: still pretty freaking bad) but at least I grasped the idea of subject-object-verb sentences. Then I noticed THFont.rar had a readme! With my trusty friend Denshi Jisho (a really great online kanji dictionary) I transliterated, and then interpreted the readme. With a few lines of code here and there, and then reverting the code changes because the original worked and I was being stupid again, I found out how the imitation SD90 worked.

The above video shows a MIDI copy of A Drunkard's Lemuria, then an original song by yosiyosi called Cosmo Ruin.
I did not compose the songs, I'm simply showing off that the MIDIs work fine with THFont.

EDIT: Reed Romance (UFO Trumpet) doesn't work for some reason. Apparently Japan's been stumped with this one too.

If this was Cynical Me a few years ago, I wouldn't release the soundfont, because well, people...here, video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByzUl39hSa8

But present-day Optimistic Me realizes the Touhou community is pretty awesome. So I decided to release the soundfont after all.

Just PM me, because I don't just want to leave it here for anyone.

also don't pm the youtube channel, it's this old channel me and a friend used to use ages ago for uploading things that are vaguely video game related
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 03:22:34 AM by Iris Eglantine »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Re: THFont Experimentation and Comparisons with SD-90
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2012, 05:53:44 AM »
Quite a response there! But it would fit better in its own thread.

I don't really like THFont - quite a lot of quirks and imbalances. To the untrained ear it's very hard to tell, and good arranges and original works can be done with it (see Anunsew's work, which is mostly THFont), but as with many soundfonts the instruments are quite cheap-sounding, lacking quite a few characteristics of the original instruments. I also own an actual SD-90, so patch-to-patch comparison affirms this.

Reed Romance is not a trumpet instrument at all. It is categorised as a saxophone - I believe it's a mix of Alto and Tenor saxes, with the Enhancer MFX added on. Therefore it's a layered sound, something that isn't that easy to emulate with a mere Soundfont.

I have sent a PM about the new version, so I can run investigation.
Bad command or file name

Spaztique

• Writer, Animator, Easy Mode Advocate
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2012, 06:23:35 AM »
(Comments about the new Soundfont in the other thread.)

Well, school's back on, and for some reason, it has an inverse effect on my workflow: "Crystallized Silver"/commentary annotations for "Shanghai Teahouse ~ Chinese Tea" will definitely be up by next Tuesday featuring a new method for designing the romantic tp patch!

Edit: Surprise remix coming Sunday the 15th, marking a special occasion.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:15:52 AM by Spaztique »
Making Touhou music and actually-pretty-decent Walfas animations since 2011!

Spaztique

« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2012, 12:20:14 PM »
To commemorate my first year in Gensokyo, here's "Septette For The Dead Princess"! Surprise surprise!  :P

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2012, 12:30:11 AM »
Whoa, that is...very nice! :o
A bit too much reverb though, and the pitch is a touch sharp. I think the trumpets and piano also have too much release. I'd also make a note about the bell sounds, but well, we have a few limits to deal with so those can slide. ^^

THFont isn't the best reference, naturally. :V
Bad command or file name

Spaztique

« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2012, 10:15:26 PM »
THFont isn't the best reference, naturally. :V

I use it as a starting point. I go off the game versions more than the font.

Also...

*BOOM BOOM* *CLAP!*
*BOOM BOOM* *CLAP!*
WE WILL, WE WILL
LETTY WHITEROCK YOU
With this spiffy remake of Crystallized Silver! Enjoy!

Spaztique

Re: [Music] The Roland TTS-1 Remake Project
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2012, 02:19:03 AM »
It's the strongest remake: "Beloved Tomboyish Daughter"! Heck yeah!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 03:09:52 AM by Spaztique »

Re: [Music] The Roland TTS-1 Remake Project
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2012, 07:40:42 PM »
All your TTS-1 remakes are awesome!!!
Looking forward for more songs
EoSD-> Easy clear
PCB-> Normal mode clear (3cc)
MoF-> Stage 6 normal
TD-> Stage 5 normal