Author Topic: [Competition] Hourai's New Year Resolution - BLAZING FIERY RESOLVE!  (Read 25169 times)

Gappy

• Oh...oh I was not ready for this.
  • It's only Logical....
Re: [Competition] Hourai's Monthly Artful Sacrifice Challenge!
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2010, 07:02:32 AM »
The Second Hourai's Monthly Artful Sacrifice Challenge!

This month's objective: It's frightfully hot in Gensokyo this time of the year! And that blasted ice fairy's nowhere in sight! Somebody must've gotten to her first! What utter selfishness! What happened to the spirit of selfless sharing in Gensokyo?! What's a gap youkai supposed to do? Languish and melt in this summer heat?!

Oh well, at the very least you outsiders can try and give me ideas on how to deal with this....this....this summerness! This month's theme is Summer In Gensokyo - Keeping Cool, the Gensokyo Way. Depict your idea in whatever way you desire, be it art or music. As the ice fairy's sort of M.I.A., I'd appreciate it if you don't overly rely on methods involving her. At best, there'll be an ice fairy hunt....at worst, we get a full scale war over who gets to keep her for the summer. I'm in a rather languid mood thanks to all this heat too, so I'd appreciate it if you can make it nice and amusing.

Entry:You enter the competition simply by submitting a piece of work, whether art or music. The art can be a 4-koma, a short doujin, or a single piece, whatever suits you best. Anything in audio form can be submitted under 'music'. You can submit more than one piece and you can ask to have them judged together or separately.

Time Limit:1 month from today, sometime in July - date to be decided.

Judging: In order to make this less a challenge of artistic skill and more a challenge of creativity, the artists/musicians will not be judged on quality of art, but, rather, how well they fulfill the theme/objective of the challenge. In the case of this month's, it's for depicting Summer and Keeping Cool in Gensokyo

All the participants will judge each other's work anonymously and submit them via PM to me. Thus this will be a challenge of honesty, integrity and impartiality. Also, 5 anonymous judges will be chosen randomly from a pool of volunteers. I will do the randomizing and assigning of anonymous volunteer judges as well as calculating and publishing the overall final score.

Prize: The winner gets to make an art request of one of the other participants and his/her art thread (if he/she has one) will be stickied for a week. And, of course, unconditional boasting rights ^^. All participants receive a prize for participating - an eternal place in the competition gallery. The winner will also receive the 'SPECHUL MEMBAH' tag. Isn't that nice?

Drake

Re: [Competition] Hourai's Summer Challenge - KEEP COOL!
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2010, 07:11:17 AM »
Well I certainly have idears.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2010, 11:45:24 AM »
I know I will regret this, but I can't let that idea I have go to waste. Now then, where did I put paper and pencils~

Vanishing Sock Puppet

• Phantasmic Scribbler
  • brb exploding in a black hole
    • The Sock Drawer
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2010, 02:25:04 PM »
Just when my tablet pen died! ARGH! Hopefully I can get a replacement before the month is up. I'd just draw a picture and scan it in, but I have no scanner...:(

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2010, 02:48:06 PM »
I'd just draw a picture and scan it in, but I have no scanner...:(
I don't have one either. I'm just gonna photograph my stuff once it's done :V

Autumn

• Autumn is coming!~~~
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2010, 06:45:55 PM »
Yes! Finally a new challenge~

Sounds fun  :V

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2010, 03:18:50 AM »
You know, I might not be reading the competition info properly, or I'm not properly reading between the lines, but where exactly do I send my completed work in order to enter in the competition? Do I just PM them to みこと, or is there another person I need to PM?

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2010, 05:11:25 AM »
You send the entry directly to みこと /Mikoto/ Gappy/ That person running the challenge, and only to her.

flamezero16

• The Great Southern Trendkill
  • Whats up amigo?
    • My Youtube
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2010, 08:04:11 PM »
Hmmmm... Id like to compete at some point, but i dont think i have anything in my repertoire that sounds Summery  ::).. Maybe next months contest then.

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2010, 09:59:53 AM »
The deadline for entries will be the 23rd of July, exactly a month after the start of the competition. Remember, send your entry to me via PM. Also, remember, you can enter more than one piece of work. All works will be displayed in Furansu's trophy cabinet for as long as Alice's Atelier and MotK exists (or, at least, as long as I stay Atelier Acolyte XD).

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2010, 12:57:03 AM »
My dad's computer is broken so I am without a scanner for a good while.
So there's no way I can make the deadline.  :ohdear:

Maybe next contest, I guess.
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2010, 03:21:41 PM »
Aw, I already did my summer's pic, and DID include Cirno... Well, as you say, someone got to her first, and that someone was, of course, Marisa.

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2010, 12:08:58 PM »
Hi everyone! Sorry for not showing up for a while. RL is busy busy busy @_@. I won't have time to arrange the judging for a bit. I'm extending the deadline till the end of the month for those of you who still want to try and get something in!

Also, a big thank you to those of you who have submitted your work!

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2010, 08:51:12 PM »
Hi all,

Thank you very much to those of you who participated this time around! We really appreciate it! My apologies for the delay in judging. Summer break has paradoxically been busier for me than term time XP

Anyhow, you should all have received PMs regarding the judging. If you haven't then something must have gone wrong (my brain, probably) and you must PM me immediately and/or track me down on IRC. You can find me or find clues on how to reach me on #Touhou-meido on irc.dejatoons.net.

Take your time with the judging. We expect to be finished within little more than a week. But there is no real hurry, so yukkuri~

Also, for the next contest, should we reduce the time limit to two weeks? Or is the current 1 month time limit more comfortable?

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2010, 05:08:12 AM »
Quick update.

There were issues with entry 3 and 5. The links have now been fixed.

Entry 3 - http://www.mediafire.com/?ik23jgr4e8rx78o

Entry 5 - http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/452/page3jj.jpg

flamezero16

• Whats up amigo?
    • My Youtube
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2010, 09:25:04 PM »
Also, for the next contest, should we reduce the time limit to two weeks? Or is the current 1 month time limit more comfortable?

Yeah 2 weeks sounds fine. Then we could have contests more often, which may increase board traffic. Sounds like a good thing to me =P

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2010, 12:01:01 PM »
Actually I was going to say the opposite - with school starting up for a majority of forum members in the next month it'd probably be better to keep the longer deadline (even if I've yet to enter I still enjoy everyone else's contributions!)

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2010, 04:56:54 PM »
My apologies for the lateness in the posting of the results. I believe most of the artists have sent in their results. The other judges, however..... ^^;;

Anyway, my hope is to have all the results collated and published within the next few days.

Now the only issue that remains is our next competition....any ideas? I'm thinking something along the lines of 'back to school'

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2010, 07:25:41 PM »
The theme should be vagrancy.

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2010, 07:30:46 PM »
As far as the next competition goes, it all depends on when it is, right? I was thinking "Halloween in Gensokyo" would be a cool one to try.

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2010, 08:13:28 PM »
thats what they did in rika's garage last year, and in my opinion, it's getting a bit boring.
how about doing something related to autumn?

-wait. a certain user would have an advantage in that

flamezero16

• Whats up amigo?
    • My Youtube
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2010, 09:06:19 PM »

Who =o?

Autumn

• Autumn is coming!~~~
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2010, 09:26:22 PM »
thats what they did in rika's garage last year, and in my opinion, it's getting a bit boring.
how about doing something related to autumn?

Awesome.   BV

flamezero16

• Whats up amigo?
    • My Youtube
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2010, 11:45:40 PM »
Awesome.   BV

Haha oh.

But actually i like that idea. I already know what i would do.

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2010, 10:19:55 PM »
Right, one judge dropped out and two judges have yet to reply to me so far. I'm assuming they've dropped out as well. I'm in need of 3 volunteers to be anonymous judges for the contest. If you're interested, please PM me ASAP! Thanks!

Autumn

• Autumn is coming!~~~
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2010, 12:32:52 AM »
Right, one judge dropped out and two judges have yet to reply to me so far. I'm assuming they've dropped out as well.
:colonveeplusalpha:

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2010, 06:16:51 PM »
uwaa~ i want new contesht!

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2010, 08:15:42 PM »
FINALLY, THE RESULTS OF THE SECOND HOURAI ARTFUL SACRIFICE CONTEST!
*Insert applause/boos here*

My apologies for the late posting of the results - Judges were being lazy again Medical school has gotten off to a busy start this year, but my hopes are that I'll settle into the groove quickly and be able to find time for more art.

As you're all about to get lost in HUGE WALLS OF TEXT, let's get the credits out of the way first, 60s Hollywood style~
Thank you very much, first and foremost, to the artists for participating! Art, in my opinion, should not be judged by its quality, but by how well it achieves its purpose - to dazzle, to awe, to humble, to inspire and enlight! This time around, it's all about keeping y'all cool during the heat of summer....and I think everyone here achieved just that. Well done! Give yourselves a pat on the back!

Thank you to the judges who've given their time and deep(?) consideration to judge these beautiful pieces. I know I had to chase down some of you down dark alleyways and over deep ravines to get you to GET YOUR SUWAKO-DAMNE-....I mean...ehem....esteemed opinion of these pieces....but all in all, thank you very much for your support in this contest.

Thanks again to our returning judge, Purvis, who somehow managed to find his way out of his trashcan hoboland and to our contest grounds. Always indebted to you and your monocled moustached eminence, Doctor~

And without further ado.....DA JUJMENTO!

FIRST PLACE
[/size]
In first place....!
http://www.mediafire.com/?ik23jgr4e8rx78o
By Autumn!
10, 8, 8, 6, 9, 8, 10, 9 = 68

Comments

I think, out of all the artists and entries put in, this artist probably had the best plot to it, and kept to explaining what was going on at the time. The artist really took into consideration what sort of cunning ideas Yukari would come up with, and it really showed in their work. Referencing another person's work, specifically Stalin's ideas, really had me going. They had just about everything in their flash set up for this contest, and I must commend them for the great display!

Nice animation^^
I love the part when Gensokyo blows up? hooray for random music! :V
Awesome, but it would be nice if you could add some more humor in the video (other than the end)? but I guess you achieved the objective so good enough, heh heh~

Not much production value, but man that was funny. Must have put a lot of work into it.

Good idea, on topic, proper amounts of CCCP. But too many memes for the sake of memes and some annoying dead times.

Nuclear Winter is a pretty clever thought. A good example of "Yukari fooling around again". Tip for next time though: The resolution and filesize were far bigger than needed.

Very amusing. Yukari's plan doesn't make sense though, or does it?

Ah, is there anything that nukes can't do?  I could see plenty of Gensokyo natives hatching this sort of plot.

A nice video.  I can tell that you experimented a lot with different effects to get it to look the way you wanted.  The skit wouldn't be out of place on YouTube or something.

Gensokyo's Artificial Winter

I'm halfway into watching this and I already want to give this a 10. My god.

Again, the art quality isn't so great, but it's fairly well-used. There's a lot of detail and color, but relatively few 'real' images, the poses are very flat, and the expressions are frankly lacking. Eyebrows are important!

A lot of the jokes are cribbed from Walfas and other references, but are well-executed (the music choice in particular is pretty good). The timing for changing scenes and ending jokes are great, but Yukari's warps are a little drawn-out. The sound/music/external image choice is heavily memetic, but also used well.

I'm hoping it's not just the video format talking, but damn, for wit and humor I'm willing to give this a full 10 out of 10. I am way too easily amused by rapid-fire humor.

SECOND PLACE
[/size]
In second place, trailing behind first by just 1 single point...! This was a close one!
By Aizo!
9, 9, 9, 9, 8, 7, 8, 8 = 67

Comments:
Its a classic 4 panel kinda funny, and it definitely fits the theme. Only gripe is it looks a little bit messy and could be darker.

This entry really had the idea of "trying to keep cool" embedded within it, and every part of the comic really shows just how desperate and brutal the Gensokians can get under heavy heat. The ending bit of the comic was a brilliant explanation as to what happened to Cirno as well, and had amused me quite a bit. I was especially impressed by how well the artist kept the Gensokians in character, and kept the story on track. Excellent job!

I love these types of comics... reminds me of the comics by Happy Flame Time^^ The art and the story's awesome
I like how Reimu and Marisa are trying to find Cirno and end up running into shenanigans. Poor Daiyousei...  :ohdear:
Nice job, but the ending was kind of  :/ +  :V to me

Excellent humor, on topic, good times. Only problem is, every comic doesn't necessarily involve the theme as strongly as it should. And beachtime Sakuya is great.

Very nice display of how important Cirno is after all. I love how everyone is pretty much going crazy there, as well as the resons for her disappreance on the last page. Conan!Remi is a hilarious as well.

I wanted it to be funny and random while still fulfilling this month's objective. it turned out to be good i guess

Armpits?  Armpits.

Very nice facial expressions.  Everything looks good despite having a fairly simple style.  I'm hoping you don't restrict yourself to just drawing 4koma, and extend your talents to other media.

4koma 4 5set

I must admit, the basic art quality is unspectacular, with definite rough edges. Still, it's quite adequate for comics of this sort, where the 'writing' is honestly more important. Even then, there's definite signs of "I'm working past the extended stick figures phase" in the work put into detailed parts like Marisa's beaten face, the refereshment goddess' palm trees, and Daiyosei's... restraints. No backgrounds, granted, but very definite progress. Keep at it!

The expressions are simple and predictable, but accurate and generally used well - except maybe Marisa's inscrutiable grin in the last panel of the right-hand 4koma in image 1, which wasn't entirely clear to me. The amount of detail for parched Marisa makes up for it, though. The proportions are good but not perfect - for the most part they're realistic and consistent (and Remi's back view, even if she's taller than she should be, has subtle curves that make for a more realistic look) but limb lengths are sometimes off and the chibification that excuses that in some images is... either inconsistent or not especially distinctive. Remilia lounging on the chair is definitely off in some way, but that's a very difficult pose to pull off and not really something to hold against ya.

As for the writing... the gags are fairly predictable, for the most part, but executed well enough (particularly with the expressions). Remilia's global warming rant came out of nowhere and was worth a laugh between the irrelevancy and excellent expression. And the secondary visual gag of how beaten-up Marisa was in the last image made me crack up when I actually noticed it. So that's pretty good as well - not incredibly creative, but solid execution.
(There are also grammar mistakes, off course, but I'm willing to let that slide, especially if English isn't your first language.)

All in all, I'm pleased - it's interesting, decently made, sticks to the theme (even if there's not much success gotten), and is worth a good 8 out of 10 despite the shortcomings.

THIRD PLACE
[/size]
By A Tuna Sakana!
8, 7, 5, 6, 7, 9, 6, 7 = 55

Comments:
Haha adorable. The artstyle seems to be working well with the whole moeblob thing. Good job.

This artist didn't delay one bit on the idea of "keeping cool", and went right into the solution. What amused me the most is the ending, showing the result of NOT keeping cool, and certainly supports the idea that the Gensokians will get extremely desperate to keep cool for a reason. I admit, this one didn't explain the situation all that well, but they certainly addressed the point of keeping cool, and that's what counts.

Cute comic, good job^^
No one likes hot days? especially when there?s ten suns outside? Orin better get some more ice :3
I like the story/events/whatever's going on but it feels like something?s missing right before the end?

Took far too many panels. On theme, though. Not a bad idea.

Thinking of Utsuho as a miniature nuclear-power-plant, she's probably one of the people who need cooling down the most in summer.

haha, that was pretty cute. orin should have just put okuu inside the fridge to avoid the meltdown.

More Okuu!?  I sense a conspiracy...  Quite an amusing scenario, in any case.

Good use of chibi art style, it fits very well here.

The art here is... uh, remarkably simplistic, but it works pretty well with the style of the comic. There are some cute little details (the ⑨ on the fridge, twitching Orin tails) but I'm afraid there's not much nice I can say on the art itself. For the most part it's a consistent and effective chibi-ish style that's adequate for the format and carrying the joke, but there are a few mistakes and clumsy moments - mostly with Orin's arms while sitting down, and her crossed legs.

The expressions are also very simple, but I think they actually work very well as it is. They suit the style perfectly and get the message across without fail. There's not much nuance to it, but it's effective. Orin in the first panel of the second image is especially cute, and spiral-eyed Utsuho in the last one is quite good. I think my main suggestion would be a little more detail/nuance to the open-mouth shouting Utsuho did - the tone from that was slightly ambiguous, aside from the last panel with her.

As for the joke itself - I actually really liked it, since I didn't expect it. Quite clever, and well-executed. Cramming all of the Incident Solvers' comments into the last panel was a good move to avoid dragging out the joke, and including it added a little bit of extra punch worth having. I have no real complaints, though the second round of ice pops might not have been strictly necessary - I think it's good pacing, though.

It's mostly the writing/joke I like here, but I'm still thinking this is worth a 6 out of 10.

FOURTH PLACE
[/size]
By flamezero16!
7, 6, 4, 7, 7, 10, 6, 6 = 53

Comments:
Nothing more summery than sunflowers, but as for keeping cool? Audio quality could definitely be better but overall i think its good.

I was surprised to see a music entry in a contest such as this, considering that it may be a little difficult to give someone the impression of cooling down in summer with a musical piece. No less, there was certainly a good amount of talent and thought put into this entry, and I commend the artist for their hard work. I tried matching up the music to what seemed to be an acceptable setting, and the best match I had was the image of a calm, winter day with light snowfall. I suppose if you heard this in the middle of summer and had that idea, it might cool you down a bit, mind over matter and whatnot, and it did help me cool down a little. Kudos for your effort, indeed!

... I have no idea what to say about this. I expected music as part of someone's entry, not just music. But it's really cool~ you make me want to play the accoustic again  :V
Sounds like Reimu and Marisa are on a journey to find Cirno on a hot summer evening. And they run into some bumps along the way, but at the end it's like "to be continued".
Very nice, but maybe you could add some pictures to show what's going on...

It's nicely made, but this isn't making me think of keeping cool at all. This is more relaxed time theme. Which, I suppose, is tangentially connected, but not really there. Best I could tell myself is this is like calm nighttimes plains music.

Nice, calming and very well played. There's probably also a meaning in the songs that were chosen (as it sounds like a mix of different themes), but I can't figure it out if it exists.

Why does this music reminds me of a the rpgs that i played long ago? anyways, this is really good though it didn't feel like summerish to me.

Yuka-sama.  <3 <3 <3

Didn't expect an audio submission when I saw this, and didn't expect PC-98 music either, very pleasantly surprised.  It sounds like the sort of thing you might play to pass the time on a hot summer's day, too.

I'm not very experienced with critiqueing music, or even commenting on it beyond "hey that sounds good," but oh well!

It's very calm and relaxed. I forget what cultural set that sort of quiet guitar(?) comes from, and hilariously I'm not sure what tune it's based on (if it is!). It's generally well-written and performed, aside from the occasional not-quite-artsy/appropriate off-key strum and what sounds like mic interference in the later parts. Man, was this live? Major props if so - I haven't really kept up with the contest.

I think my main gripe is that there are decently long segments which vary little or repeat the same changes to the tune, making it less... interesting. That's somewhat appropriate, since it sounds like a 'strumming while relaxing on the porch to beat the heat' sort of tune, but it doesn't really get my attention or interest for the most part. There's also a... melancholy tone behind its slowness, a sadness I don't necessarily associate with summer or keeping cool.

It's pleasant, but it's not especially interesting or memorable. Still, worth a decent 6 out of 10 for matching the tone well.

FIFTH PLACE
[/size]
By Patorikku!
7, 7, 6.8, 7, 6, 7, 7, 5 = 52.8  (You! The Judge who went with '6.8'....I'm going to hunt you down and force feed you acryllic paint!)

Comments:
Art isnt particularly snazzy and the proportions are off, but its cute and funny in a way.

This artist didn't really look as if they put the most effort they could have into the work, but they certainly kept on track with what they were talking about. The setting seems appropriate enough, and a focus on keeping cool was certainly seen. The irony in Marisa's plan made me giggle a little bit, and the reaction really did help. As good as it was, it's not as good as it could have been, really, and I recommend that the artist tries to look at carrying their further work a little deeper,

Simple but it works~
Typical Marisa, always thinking like that because she?s a dumba- *shot*, but it does get the job done. :3
Good job on the drawing? more would be nice^^

Badum-tsh! Brief, which is good. On topic, which is good. Could be better illustrated with the theme.

Always taking the easy way, that's just like Marisa.

I didn't expect marisa to give up that easily. it also could have been better.

Utsuho again?  Hm...

Anyway, nice pencil work.  I'm no expert, but it looks like you went through a lot of effort for the shading and such, and it shows.

Marisa's Cooling Plan One-Shot

I think this one's a step up in base art quality compared to some of the others - there's rough edges in proportions and noticable erasure marks, but rather few corners are cut and there's a lot of detail to both the (main) background and characters. Marisa playing with her half-on shoe is a nice touch, along with the other little details. Chibi-Utsuho is adorable and worth a little laugh on her own.

The expressions... I'm not sure about. The mouth positions/details aren't perfectly descriptive (though the one in the last panel really tries) and I'm really not sure about the prelevance of Eyelashes in the first one - though that might just be a stylistic complaint. There's not much space to say much on this since it's so short... but I'll point out that the second panel is basically perfect for its purpose.

Nor is there much to say about the joke writing - it's not outstanding, but solid, especially with the perfect execution in panel 2 (again, chibi-Utsuho is an excellent touch). But there's not much depth to it, even if it's a good bit of realized irony.

Overall, I'm reasonably amused, and the visual detail is very good. Worth a 7 out of 10 to me.

And that's all, folks~

flamezero16

• Whats up amigo?
    • My Youtube
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2010, 08:34:04 PM »
Nice one Fally  :D Course this means im just gonna have to beat ya in the next contest to make it even~

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2010, 08:52:23 PM »
Oooh, finally results XD

Congratulations Autumn, and everyone else that participated~

Actually pretty surprised about how well my entry fared. It was a lot of fun to participate though. ^^