Author Topic: [Competition] Hourai's New Year Resolution - BLAZING FIERY RESOLVE!  (Read 25302 times)

Gappy

• Oh...oh I was not ready for this.
  • It's only Logical....
The First Ever Monthly Hourai Artful Sacrifice Challenge!

This month's theme - Let's start with something simp- PATCHCON! YES! AWESOME! Basically, Touhou 'Defend The Library'. For more info on what Patchon is, look here.

Bloomers of Our Mikos
I've been posting this pic in too many places... ^^;;

This month's objective: You are to cause your viewers/listeners to bust their kidneys laughing. The more renal damage you cause, the better. To put it simply - the funniest wins.

Entry:You enter the competition simply by submitting a piece of work, whether art or music. The art can be a 4-koma, a short doujin, or a single piece, whatever suits you best. Anything in audio form can be submitted under 'music'. You can submit more than one piece and you can ask to have them judged together or separately.

Time Limit:1 month from today - 16th March.

Judging: In order to make this less a challenge of artistic skill and more a challenge of creativity, the artists/musicians will not be judged on quality of art, but, rather, how well they fulfill the theme/objective of the challenge. In the case of this month's, it's for the most comedic.

All the participants will judge each other's work anonymously and submit them via PM to me. Thus this will be a challenge of honesty, integrity and impartiality. Also, 5 anonymous judges will be chosen randomly from a pool of volunteers. I will do the randomizing and assigning of anonymous volunteer judges as well as calculating and publishing the overall final score.

Prize: The winner gets to make an art request of one of the other participants and his/her art thread (if he/she has one) will be stickied for a week. And, of course, unconditional boasting rights ^^. All participants receive a prize for participating - an eternal place in the competition gallery.  (Pssst, we maaaaaay get permission to give out surprise prizes...maaaaaaybe....)

For the sake of fairness, I myself won't participate. While I won't take part in the judging, there's always the chance I might have an unfair advantage as I'm the one deciding the challenge.

So have at it! Don't disappoint me!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:43:53 PM by Sapz »

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
Re: [Competition] Hourai's Monthly Artful Sacrifice Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 06:50:21 AM »
oh, nifty!
Wotters gonna' wot

Caber Knight Etch-A-Sketch

• The return of something
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 02:36:34 PM »
*cracks knuckles and pulls out various pencils and paper*

LET'S DO IT

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 05:29:08 PM »
I guess I could try n do somethin for this. Sounds interesting either way, only problem is me getting the motivation to actually do something and/or not forget about drawing my entry.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 07:38:09 PM »
PatchCon? Very yes.

My art skills are quite lacking, but I can at least try!

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 08:56:37 PM »
Hmm. I'd enter, but I fear that the fact that I use create.swf would kind of give away who I was ... |3

Autumn

• Autumn is coming!~~~
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 04:58:10 AM »
Seems fun... but I can't think of any jokes.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 07:00:57 PM »
I actually have an idea for this.

One question - is there a time limit for audio/music submissions?

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 07:18:21 PM »
I actually have an idea for this.

One question - is there a time limit for audio/music submissions?

No. The duration of the piece can be as long as you like. ^^

Autumn

• Autumn is coming!~~~
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 06:07:40 PM »
Apparently, my doujin is so not going well, so is it okay if the entry's a flash instead?  :ohdear:

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 06:30:30 PM »
Apparently, my doujin is so not going well, so is it okay if the entry's a flash instead?  :ohdear:

Sure ^^ go for it!

mikeKOSA

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 04:15:17 AM »
oh crap... only one day left and i haven't started anything yet. is it the end of march 16th the deadline of submissions or i only have a few hours left?

Autumn

• Autumn is coming!~~~
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 05:44:33 AM »
oh crap... only one day left and i haven't started anything yet. is it the end of march 16th the deadline of submissions or i only have a few hours left?

I think the deadline is at the end of March 16 so you only have a couple of hours left (I don't know the exact deadline because we all live in different time zones >.<)

If you still wish to enter, good luck and I hope you manage to make something real fast.  :ohdear:

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 06:15:31 AM »
Ugh...there's a possibility that I won't have access to a scanner, so I can't submit my drawing. D=

Oh well. Might try a different medium next time I enter a contest. Good luck to the rest of the participants!

mikeKOSA

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 06:40:23 AM »
done^^ i could have drawn more but i dont have enough time so that will do

Ugh...there's a possibility that I won't have access to a scanner, so I can't submit my drawing. D=

that's too bad...

youkai_R_US

• You are about to enter the border of laziness!
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 12:29:10 PM »
Oh looks fun! Wait what do you mean its March 16th?....cr*p

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 05:12:16 PM »
Yeaaaah I didn't anticipate my past 10 days or so being full of homework and terrible.
Oh well, perhaps next time!  The concept I had can be easily adapted for a number of themes so I'm prepared  :V

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 12:30:12 AM »
AAAAAAAAAAND, the moment you've all been waiting for! Finally, the results of the great Hourai Challenge!

SCOREBOARD

Entry No. 1, Slaves: 9, 7, 9, 9, 6, 7 = 47

Entry No. 2, Autumn's Revenge: 8, 8, 8.5, 6, 7, 9 = 46.5

Entry No. 3, Skye: 9, 7, 7, 5, 3, 7 = 38

Entry No. 4, Mori: 8, 6, 7, 9, 6, 9 = 45

Comments:
Entry No. 1
"simple yet hilarious"

"Made me grin. Every panel is useful to telling the joke. Delivery is alright. Could use better wording. "

"Oh Slaves, once again your knack for humour has left me in stitches.  And that's pretty much what I expect would happen if Patchy put any effort into defending the library.  Maybe that's why it's always so easy for Marisa to steal her books?"

"It's random but funny. The humor (and also the artwork) are very nice."

"Typical Patchy behavior. That last panel is hilarious."

Entry No.2
"that was pretty funny, I liked the lunatic mode the best"

"Several jokes that made me laugh out loud, some fine comedic timing with random humor. Others fell flat. Ending was underwhelming."

"Nice work, though I think there was unused comedy potential there"

"It started out pretty good... And then the tank came in.  Rather fittingly, I was laughing like a lunatic the whole time."

Entry No. 3

"I know it's been done to death, but for some reason I can't help but giggle at this."

"It's a reference! Not very well executed.  Decent comparison. Needs more wit, less "look its like Starcraft see?"

"I barely know about Starcraft, so..."

"heh, i never really played starcraft but that phrase makes me laugh"

"To me the joke makes no sense, but the artwork looks very nice and has a humorous touch."

Entry No. 4
"Heavy-Arms Yukkureimu is a wonderful idea. And I feel with poor Flan-chan."

"Not only do I love the 4 koma style, but the general plotting and humour is superb."

"To me some parts didn't make sense that well, but others were very funny. The art seems to give the comic a comedic feeling."

"Fairly good jokes, but relies too much on being random. Reads Left to Right despite being made for English speakers by someone knows English decently with no indication; completely ruins flow of jokes. Unnecessary panels that don't really add to the humor."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, the winner of MotK's first Hourai Artful Sacrifice Challenge iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis...

First Place

SLAVES! With his characteristic 4koma, his trademark expressions and gut-busting humour! Congratulations!

And for that you win the first prize - Unconditional boasting rights, art thread sticky for a MONTH, the title of SM, and the right to request one piece of art from one other participant.

Second Place
In second place, trailing behind first by a mere 0.5 points, Autumn's Revenge with his highly amusing flash! Well done! We hope to see more from you!

Third Place
In third place, Mori, with his impressive 4komas and excellent portrayal of the SDM crew! Masterly executed! We look forwards to seeing more work of such calibre!

Fourth Place
In fourth place, Skye, with his amusing and colourful parody. I never thought I'd ever see Patchy associated with those words. The use of subtle details to enhance the comedy value was well done. We look forwards to seeing more from you!

Thank you very much for participating and making this first contest a success! In recognition, you all win a permanent place in Furansu's Trophy Cabinet and you also win the title of Idiot Princess! Congratulations!

And a special thanks to our judges. One of them has already given permission to be named. Thank you, Purvis, and the two other people who have contributed their time and consideration in judging the works of these fine artists!

We hope you all will support the next Hourai Artful Sacrifice Challenge and help make it an even bigger success! Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:54:42 AM by Mind-The-Sana »

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 12:44:49 AM »
Gappy: You asked to grant the winners of the contest IP, and the rest of the participants any title I could think of. However, SM is a title of higher respect (while IP isn't exactly a lackluster title, SM has more prestige and is more permanent). And so, I will give Slaves SM (he'll still have Resident Artist++, it just won't be visible) and the other participants shall get IP. (This is partially to bring you guys even with the writing contest: It will do no good if even participating in the art contest is equivalent to winning the writing contest. :P) Is this acceptable?

Congratulations and good luck to all the participants, for their performance here and in future contests! o/

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 12:52:16 AM »
Yay 4th place, at least it's better than last place

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 12:55:45 AM »
Gappy: You asked to grant the winners of the contest IP, and the rest of the participants any title I could think of. However, SM is a title of higher respect (while IP isn't exactly a lackluster title, SM has more prestige and is more permanent). And so, I will give Slaves SM (he'll still have Resident Artist++, it just won't be visible) and the other participants shall get IP. (This is partially to bring you guys even with the writing contest: It will do no good if even participating in the art contest is equivalent to winning the writing contest. :P) Is this acceptable?

Congratulations and good luck to all the participants, for their performance here and in future contests! o/

Works for me ^^ Thanks Ruron~

Autumn

• Autumn is coming!~~~
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 03:49:54 AM »
Wow... I actually did better than I expected...

Congrats to everyone who entered!  :toot:

*Looks at tag* Idiot princess?  :V

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 06:00:37 AM »
Congrats Slaves, and the other participants as well. That was some nice work you produced there, I look forward to the next challenge.
Spoiler:
And it was fun to judge it~
  ;)

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 10:12:26 AM »
The next competition will start on around the 19/20th of May (once I finish my exams ;P) So, I need ideas for a theme. Anyone care to lend a hand and suggest ideas?

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 01:38:59 PM »
The most popular Touhou fan characters lead by Satsuki Rin, trying to steal the spotlight from the real characters, and failing.

youkai_R_US

• You are about to enter the border of laziness!
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2010, 08:37:30 PM »
The most popular Touhou fan characters lead by Satsuki Rin, trying to steal the spotlight from the real characters, and failing.
That sounds awesome to me~
ihavenosayinthematterbutohwell

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2010, 08:58:03 PM »
Outfit swaps! Touhous wearing other Touhou's clothes.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Autumn

• Autumn is coming!~~~
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 05:56:12 AM »
Outfit swaps! Touhous wearing other Touhou's clothes.

BV     YES     BV

Formless God

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 06:51:44 AM »
I'm sooo gonna join this BV

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2010, 04:15:36 PM »
i dont really know how funny music could beat funny images... so i'm not sure if i should even try.