Author Topic: Skullgirls  (Read 22091 times)

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Re: Skullgirls - Actually Has a Confirmed Release Date
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 12:55:47 AM »
You can get the movelists here

The fact that the page is overloaded is deeply hilarious.

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 12:59:11 AM »
The fact that the page is overloaded is deeply hilarious.
i hyped skullgirls before it was cool :hipster:

Edible

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 02:38:39 AM »
Dicked around in story mode for a few playthroughs.  Shit's good times.  Plays like someone took the best bits of cvs2 and the best bits of marvel and made a game out of 'em.

Red Frost

• "Nee-san, is that you?"
  • "I can't tell from down here."
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 05:07:55 AM »
Didn't take me long to fall in love with this (just learned about it yesterday when I saw this thread).  I remember hearing the name a few times a while back but I neglected looking into it.

Can't believe Michiru Yamane's doing the music... that's just too freaking awesome.  It's funny how I was listening to the Koumajou Densetsu II/Touhouvania II OST not even 30 minutes before looking gameplay vids up on Youtube.  I kept thinking "Wow, the music sounds so familiar, but I can't quite think of it."

Waiting for the download... it's a good thing I forgot to buy LIMBO way back, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get it today.  I still want to play LIMBO, but I'm sick of playing catch-up when all these awesome things keep coming out.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:22:44 AM by Red Frost »

K

• 五月雨を あつめて早し
  • 最上川
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 09:21:59 AM »
Played the shit out of this today. HAVIN' A GOOD TIME. Very very much worth the $15, especially considering the cost of other fighting games on the market these days.

While some of the surrounding system is a bit rough (no built-in movelists at the moment, player names aren't displayed anywhere, etc), the game underneath it is quite solid. The netcode is great, and although things start to get slightly problematic above 100 ping, it's nowhere near as bad as SFIV/MvC3/SFxT/CapcomInGeneral netcode,
To me, the game feels like a less ridiculous MvC, with 6 button goodness and some very slight CvS flavoring added to it. The flexibility offered in character/team selection (including customizable assists!) opens up a lot of potential.

Currently playing Peacock (Shadow of Impending Doom (H) assist) + Parasoul (Napalm Pillar assist). I really like how this team is working out. Good DHC synergy, good spammable assists (which don't get blown out like birthday candles like they do in Marvel), Somehow managed to claw my way up to #18 on the PSN leaderboards, but then again, it's only day 1. Of course, I started to fall down after I faced people who actually knew what they were doing. Also, Mike Z is still 2nd. Isn't it sad, Mike Z?

shoutouts to solo cerebella doing way too much damage

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 09:43:54 AM »
Currently playing Filia, Parasoul, and Double. The characters are still kinda "meh" to me and the artwork is okay I guess. On the other hand, the gameplay is looking to be really solid and the music is great too. So far, I'm liking this game.

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 01:43:42 PM »
Played this a bit, pretty severely disappointed by the influence of decades old video games and lack of influence of more recent revelations in the series. 6 Attack buttons seems almost completely superfluous when there are hardly any command normals in the first place, and the game doesn't seem to stand out as offering anything I can't get in other fighting games.

I'll stick with GG, BB, and AH, and apparently will have to shell out even more money to get the rest of the characters when and if they ever get made.

No Squiggly on initial version is so unhype.

[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

Red Frost

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 06:56:09 AM »
I think the tutorial broke my brain... and my thumb.  I just couldn't get that air combo that ends with Hairball and Gregor Samson, and the ground version took me 15 minutes to pass.  Now I'm starting to wonder if most people use the Analog Stick instead of the D-Pad for fighting games.  I quit the Tutorial and decided to try out Storymode with Filia, thinking fighting an actual opponent might do me good.  Took me 3 tries to get past the first match (Parasoul) and I only had a sliver of health left.  Next match was Cerebella, which was going okay for about 20 seconds... and then I got my ass handed to me in about 5.  And this is on "Normal".  Now I'm terrified to think about trying an online match.  I don't play a lot of fighting games, so I figured I wouldn't be very good (especially when I heard it was developed by a tournament fighter), but damn...  It's still fun, but I never thought I'd have to play another game set on Easy aside from Touhou.

I can't bring myself to be mad at a game that looks or sounds this good, either.  The sprites have a really nice comic-book look to them, and I love all the character designs.  Does Alex Ahad (or any other people who worked on the art of the game) have a personal web page or something (I think someone mentioned DeviantArt here, unless I misread something).  I'd really love to see some preliminary/concept art for the game.

EDIT:

Apparently I'm too stupid to use Yahoo...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:47:01 AM by Red Frost »

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 04:48:33 PM »
Now I'm starting to wonder if most people use the Analog Stick instead of the D-Pad for fighting games.

As a pad player, I use the analog stick all the time. Mostly because the quarter circles and z movements are A LOT easier with the analog (moreso with the half-circles). I find d-pads awkward to use.

Edible

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 04:50:27 PM »
Now I'm starting to wonder if most people use the Analog Stick instead of the D-Pad for fighting games.

Most competitive-caliber players use sticks, really.  I greatly prefer the dpad but it's intolerable on 360, so...

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »
Most competitive-caliber players use sticks, really.  I greatly prefer the dpad but it's intolerable on 360, so...
I only prefer sticks on...street fighter, and that's it :V Or any games that uses a six button layout because I find six button layouts for gamepads a little awkward, especially with where the heavy attacks are placed

Edible

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 04:53:52 PM »
I only prefer sticks on...street fighter, and that's it :V Or any games that uses a six button layout because I find six button layouts for gamepads a little awkward, especially with where the heavy attacks are placed

So... you prefer sticks on Skullgirls, since it has a six-button layout? <_<

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 05:04:38 PM »
So... you prefer sticks on Skullgirls, since it has a six-button layout? <_<
Since it does I would say so. I haven't got the game yet. For most other games (melty blood, Marvel, etc) I'd use a gamepad, but it's also why I didn't get SF4 :V (don't have a stick)

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2012, 05:22:21 PM »
I actually find the 6 button layout pretty tolerable. With the macro assists I don't feel I absolutely need a stick like I thought I would.

They made a big deal of Infinite Prevention System, but then I realized neither me nor any of my friends are good enough to activate it except by luck with Double's cat head spam super.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012, 07:08:40 PM »
Isn't that because most competitive-caliber players have spent a ton of time playing in arcades, where sticks are the only option?

Edible

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 07:12:54 PM »
Isn't that because most competitive-caliber players have spent a ton of time playing in arcades, where sticks are the only option?

I think that's part of it, but sticks also provide a wider range of options for precise inputs, so there are technical reasons as well.

I'm more of a pad player myself, and I know some high-level players are pad, at least (I'm certainly not one of them).

Re: Skullgirls
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2012, 09:11:13 PM »
I think that's part of it, but sticks also provide a wider range of options for precise inputs, so there are technical reasons as well.

I'm more of a pad player myself, and I know some high-level players are pad, at least (I'm certainly not one of them).
Guitar and flight stick master race.

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2012, 01:46:05 AM »
That could be a part of it, but I've played on a really good stick before and my execution improved tremendously after just a few minutes of practicing. Sticks (at least the top quality ones) are just better than playing on a pad.

Red Frost

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2012, 05:43:50 AM »
As a pad player, I use the analog stick all the time. Mostly because the quarter circles and z movements are A LOT easier with the analog (moreso with the half-circles). I find d-pads awkward to use.

I will say it's much easier on the thumb with the analog stick...  Part of the problem is that it's hard to tell what I'm doing if I use an analog stick on a 2-D game, so I opt for the D-pad.  It can be a bit awkward for some movements, but it's a little more reassuring if I can feel what I'm doing.  It just sucks when I can still feel it, 3 hours after I've stopped playing.

I'm using a PS3 controller, but movement seems finicky sometimes (like accidentally making my character jump).  I sometimes wonder if the controller's wearing out (it's happened to the down button on my GBA) but I don't want to dish out $30~50 to find out it's not.

The game seems to put a lot more focus on defending than movement, so that might be something else that's throwing me off.  I never knew how to defend (or at least time it) when I played BlazBlue, but I was able to dodge or avoid attacks.  First actual fight in Skullgirls, I saw Parasoul block more attacks in one match than I have throughout my whole gaming career (involving fighting games).
... but I never got into fighting games very much aside from casual matches against family, so I really wouldn't know any better.   :derp:

Or any games that uses a six button layout because I find six button layouts for gamepads a little awkward, especially with where the heavy attacks are placed

Me playing the Tutorial: "Okay... Square... X... Circle...... Jump... wait, I forgot R1... or was it R2?  Square, X, Circle...... Crap.  WHY ARE THERE SO MANY BUTTONS!?"

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2012, 03:27:20 PM »
The controls for this game are definitely more sensitive than other fighters. Play Blazblue or Arcana Heart and you'll see it's not just your controller.

6 attack buttons are still far outdated with the advent of command normals in a 4 button scheme that has proven better in recent games.
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2012, 05:02:33 PM »
My college was hosting a gaming tournament yesterday and I was surprised to see people playing Skullgirls.  I wasn't aware that it was out yet!  :derp:

I've actually talked to Alex Ahad some years back. He even did fanart of an old character of mine.  It was pretty amazing seeing the game in action. I sent him a message on DeviantArt last night giving him some congrats for his hard work.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2012, 05:29:04 PM »
Since I'm now a Video Gaming organizer I'll probably be using Skullgirls with other fighters in a tournament next year. See how that'll turn out :3

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2012, 03:34:30 AM »
I use a Hitbox, which is effectively a stick except with four buttons instead of said stick, since I started my fighting gaming on PC, and that works out splendidly for me.

Loving Skullgirls so far. Rocking Filia, Double, and Valentine with Filia's cHK, Double's heavy 623, and Valentine's izuna drop as assists. Managed an ex DP from Filia into Double's car super then into Valentine's level 3 in ranked. Great way to end a fight. Still fiddling with assists though. Filia as point and Valentine as Anchor, though Double works too. Both have sexy level 5s to use.

Generic Filia ground chain, launcher, air chain, hairball, gregor samson super, use the wallbounce from Gregor Samson to link into Double assist, dash after, otg, then valentine assist is working alright but it's finnicky. :\ Might swap for Double's mortal kombat slide for better otgs.

Doesn't Skullgirls have 6 buttons + command normals? I distincly remember fHP for Cerebella and bHK for Parasoul.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 03:45:33 AM by LukAMRA »
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2012, 04:08:37 AM »
The controls for this game are definitely more sensitive than other fighters. Play Blazblue or Arcana Heart and you'll see it's not just your controller.

6 attack buttons are still far outdated with the advent of command normals in a 4 button scheme that has proven better in recent games.

6 attack buttons are not 'outdated' by any means. It depends strictly on a particular game's mechanics. 4 and 6 button fighting games have both been around for-freaking-ever, so to claim something like this is downright nonsensical.

Here is a rundown why many if not most competitive fighting game players use sticks:

*More responsive than pads.
*More comfortable than pads (holding my fightpad claw style eats my wrist, and using my thumb is just too damn slow).
*More forgiving to mis-inputs (assuming one is using a Sanwa JLF which comes standard).
*Customization. I'm not just talking about making the stick look cooler. I'm talking of sticks with less throw, harder springs, less sensitive buttons, heavier weight, etc. In other words, sticks can be modded and fine tuned to an individual's needs, something you're not gonna find on a pad.

I play all fighters on stick nowadays, not only because of comfort issues, but I find that, after some practice, my inputs come out more consistantly on stick than on pad. I grew up playing fighters on pad, mind you.

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2012, 09:12:12 PM »
Double butt assist is the OP haggar of the game :V

oh god desk

Also Peacock seems pretty high tier :3

OH MY GOD ROAD ROLLA AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

i mean MUDADADADADADADADA
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 09:50:12 PM by Suikama »

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2012, 11:11:55 PM »
Is anyone else reminded of Satori's theme at the beginning of the Skullgirls main theme?

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2012, 11:22:15 PM »
Is anyone else reminded of Satori's theme at the beginning of the Skullgirls main theme?
Yeah it's right on for the first few notes :V

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2012, 12:10:15 AM »
I'm probably going to pitch the money in the next few days to get it for the PS3. Who else has a PS3? (Y'all best have a PS3.)

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2012, 01:24:21 AM »
mind games using Double's normals and anyone else's normals. Cerebella fHP and Double's HP. Different frame data, MIXUPS.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Nem

• Grrrr!
  • Gimmie money!
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2012, 04:54:25 AM »
Gonna be rocking a Peacock/Parasoul team. I've been holed up in training mode trying to discover BnB combos before I tackle online. So far, I've discovered a decent BnB combo with an evil corner setup/mixup with Parasoul.

Anyone on the 360 want to spar for a bit some time soon?