Author Topic: Difficulty recording Great Fairy Wars.  (Read 2794 times)

Difficulty recording Great Fairy Wars.
« on: August 25, 2010, 04:22:44 AM »
So, I can record every other Touhou game with FRAPS without issue, but GFW won't cooperate. When recording with FRAPS, the game will run anywhere from 40-50FPS, occasionally dipping into the <30FPS range. I'm not sure why; I've close all other applications and reset my computer several times, but I can't get the game to run at 60FPS. Is there a way to fix this, or am I stuck using another recording program?

Re: Difficulty recording Great Fairy Wars.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 04:23:43 AM »
Have you tried increasing the game's system priority?

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 04:36:56 AM »
Doesn't seem to affect anything when I tried. Game still lags, even when priority is set to High or Above Normal...

I've also tried setting the affinities in my dual-core system, so that Core 0 is managing FRAPS while Core 1 is managing GFW, but that's not doing much either...setting GFW to both cores and FRAPS to one core keeps the game around 52-55FPS, but that's about it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 05:06:01 AM by SenSageUn »

TheMasterSpark

• Lunatic lemurialist
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 08:46:22 AM »
I've also encountered something like this, with Fraps being unable to keep a recording of GFW at a steady 60 FPS. It drops mainly when there's icing going on on the screen, but something strange with all of this is that according to the activity manager, the total percentage of CPU usage isn't even above 60%. In all of my earlier computers, framerate issues with Fraps have always gone hand in hand with the CPU working at 100%.

Is there something strange going on with GFW itself?

GenericTouhouFailure

• WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT CALLED UNL? *boom*
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 09:41:02 AM »
I've also encountered something like this, with Fraps being unable to keep a recording of GFW at a steady 60 FPS. It drops mainly when there's icing going on on the screen, but something strange with all of this is that according to the activity manager, the total percentage of CPU usage isn't even above 60%. In all of my earlier computers, framerate issues with Fraps have always gone hand in hand with the CPU working at 100%.

Is there something strange going on with GFW itself?
Not only that.
Frameskip doesn't work with wine  >:(
My slowdown rate on a mac is like 15% WITHOUT RECORDING.
Even UFO didn't have this problem.

Also I'm still pissed that I 1cc'd C2 for like the thousandth time and extra didn't unlock.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 09:48:34 AM »
So, I can record every other Touhou game with FRAPS without issue, but GFW won't cooperate. When recording with FRAPS, the game will run anywhere from 40-50FPS, occasionally dipping into the <30FPS range. I'm not sure why; I've close all other applications and reset my computer several times, but I can't get the game to run at 60FPS. Is there a way to fix this, or am I stuck using another recording program?
Another recording program probably won't help.  If you're using an integrated or very low end video card that is probably the problem.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

TheMasterSpark

• Lunatic lemurialist
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 11:22:07 AM »
If you're using an integrated or very low end video card that is probably the problem.

I'm using the NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M on my laptop, which is an integrated card. GFW plays absolutely flawlessly when not using Fraps - why would using Fraps (which goes on the CPU, as far as I know) load the graphics card with more?

Edit: I have no idea what it says, but choosing the top option in the top-right box in GFW's custom.exe allowed me to record an entire stage practically at a steady 60 FPS. It dropped occasionally down to ~55 when mass amounts of icing was going on, but only for a second. I might have to settle with that for now. :)

Edit2: Scratch the above - the bottom option of the top-right box kept the framerate at a steady 60 FPS throughout the entire first stage, except for when the bosses went *BANG*, where it crept down to ~40 for a second or two. I'll consider that an added dramatic effect.  :V

Edit3: Scratch moar - the negative bit with the second edit seems to have been a one-time thing.  :D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 11:44:48 AM by MasterSpark »