Author Topic: Touhou 14: DDC fps drop  (Read 5452 times)

Szayelaporro Granz

• You can't use spellcards within my range
  • since I've already analyzed and sealed them all
Touhou 14: DDC fps drop
« on: December 23, 2013, 11:39:04 AM »
I have an issue with DDC's fps rate. The fps rate is pretty fine in other touhou games but DDC tends to be laggy when many bullets spawn (or any other animations). Does anyone else have this issue and is there anything I can do to solve this?
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
Feel free to watch my crappy replays and twitch channel
My favorite touhou music

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Touhou 14: DDC fps drop
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 11:57:21 AM »
Yeah, this has been covered many times. What you need to do is open config and:

1. Select the bottom option for the CPU thingy.
2. Select "1/2" where it lets you pick 1/1, 1/2 or 1/3.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Szayelaporro Granz

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 12:20:47 PM »
It runs a bit slower, but that's fine! :) Is there any solution to play with 1280x960 fullscreen resolution?
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
My favorite touhou music

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 03:28:01 PM »
As long as your computer can handle it, you can play with this resolution in full screen
But I also needed to play with lower resolution and lower qualities in order to have a stable FPS
Even though it might be easier when it's slower, it's not the right deal
Also, I sometime had the situation that for short moment the FPS rises, ERGO I fly into a bullet because of the sudden speed-up
So, I decided to play with a stable FPS, meaning, lower resolution and graphic quality
Please donate, so I can make more of NoR-Wiki or other stuff.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=R5D8A2CTMEWMJ Click here to donate (USD)
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=A3498RT3XLXL8 Click here to donate (EUR)
Thanks people.

Szayelaporro Granz

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 04:57:45 PM »
My computer can handle HM with max resolution, but why not DDC? :(
*Bug abuse.
My favorite touhou music

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 05:37:54 PM »
640x480 fullscreen works just fine for me.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Szayelaporro Granz

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 05:43:21 PM »
Same here, but how come that DDC doesn't work with 1280x960 fullscreen resolution (it pops Direct 3D something error instead) while HM can?
*Bug abuse.
My favorite touhou music

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 08:16:11 PM »
Have you updated your DirectX? Seems OK if HM works fine, but if you haven't, you should.

Meanwhile here, I can play DDC at max resolution decently well (with some fps drops when bullets clear) but HM doesn't really work at all.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 09:37:54 AM »
Same here, but how come that DDC doesn't work with 1280x960 fullscreen resolution (it pops Direct 3D something error instead) while HM can?
I have a guess which I wanted to tell earlier but didn't. What is the highest possible resolution of your display? It reminds me similar issue that I can't run DDC in 1280x960 fullscreen on laptop just because the highest supported resolution is 1440x900. Because of that trying to run DDC in requested mode gives me a error message about Direct3D (or something like that, in Japanese). I didn't try to run HM but I guess the reason that it works fine is because it has widescreen resolution support unlike DDC.
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

Szayelaporro Granz

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 02:42:26 PM »
Have you updated your DirectX? Seems OK if HM works fine, but if you haven't, you should.

Meanwhile here, I can play DDC at max resolution decently well (with some fps drops when bullets clear) but HM doesn't really work at all.
I did and it's still not working :( I can play DDC with max resolution with some fps drops, but playing it with fullscreen gives me Direct3D error instead (although I can play DDC with lower resolution and fullscreen just fine).

I have a guess which I wanted to tell earlier but didn't. What is the highest possible resolution of your display? It reminds me similar issue that I can't run DDC in 1280x960 fullscreen on laptop just because the highest supported resolution is 1440x900. Because of that trying to run DDC in requested mode gives me a error message about Direct3D (or something like that, in Japanese). I didn't try to run HM but I guess the reason that it works fine is because it has widescreen resolution support unlike DDC.
I'm not sure about that, I don't even know how to check that. My current display mode 1600x900 it says.
*Bug abuse.
My favorite touhou music

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 03:49:50 PM »
As you can see, your current resolution's vertical value is less than required 960. I think that if your videocard can handle some resolution which is SMTHx960 or larger then the game is likely to work. If the best vertical resolution is 900 then it's likely to be the reason why you can't play DDC in 1280x960 fullscreen. So, check available resolutions.
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

Szayelaporro Granz

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 10:47:33 PM »
As I said in my post, I have no idea how to check available resolutions. Mind telling me how?
*Bug abuse.
My favorite touhou music

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 11:57:43 PM »
In case of Windows, usually you can change screen resolution by calling a menu on desktop (by clicking right mouse button) and choosing "Screen resolution" (or maybe "Properties", and one of tabs will have settings for display). There you can check available screen options.

Szayelaporro Granz

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 12:38:26 AM »
It seems that the highest resolution available is 1600x900. Still makes me wonder why HM works with 1280x960 full screen resolution while DDC only 1280x960 windowed resolution.
*Bug abuse.
My favorite touhou music

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 02:08:48 AM »
That's peculiar indeed. I can't say why DDC would be complaining but not HM. I wouldn't expect either to run fullscreen at those resolutions really. The games are running at a size bigger than your screen, and it seems in one case that DirectX is detecting that and stopping you.

Well I guess you could always choose the middle resolution for DDC fullscreen if you want the size, or the small one for fps. I'm not sure there's a real way around that to get the large one to work. I haven't had much experience with HM since my computer hates it so I couldn't tell you why that one works regardless. I just remember that the last time I played it (the web demo) in my uni's computer lab, the resolution changes did nothing, it always detected the same size. Dunno if that was just me though.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>