Author Topic: "Toho Project" on NHK World's "Imagine-Nation" program!  (Read 31128 times)

Colticide

• Awoo!~
Re: "Toho Project" on NHK World's "Imagine-Nation" program!
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2015, 04:47:12 PM »
For the record, I'm not shitting on this or anything. The ZUN interview was great, the fans were adorable, and they got their information mostly right. But I don't see what's wrong with pointing out a major oops or two in what was an otherwise enjoyable experience.

That would be my fault sorry, after reading the whole thing I just felt like that silly thing needed pointed out despite them getting the information right later.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2015, 04:53:32 PM »
No ill will was intended toward anyone in particular with my comment. It's just that Touhou has a long and storied history of mistranslations and translations disagreements. It's like breathing at this point.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2015, 04:59:59 PM »
No ill will was intended toward anyone in particular with my comment. It's just that Touhou has a long and storied history of mistranslations and translations disagreements. It's like breathing at this point.

Heh good point. *look's at IN* After reading about how Zun makes the music first it made me think that does he have the characters he using in mind as he's making the music or after? I kinda would have liked more details on how his games are made, but the parts that where there made me realize how much work he puts in them. Those that say touhou is overrated have no idea what "stuff" in general goes into making the games and books.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2015, 05:05:00 PM »
*looks at IN*

I will defend "Let's get this youkai party started!" until the end of time.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2015, 05:13:25 PM »
I will defend "Let's get this youkai party started!" until the end of time.

Well I do see the charm in it too, I was more or less thinking of Alice calling Reimu a bitch but even that has it's charms.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2015, 02:19:15 AM »
Based on what little I know about the translation business, and abundant evidences in the show itself, the different parts of the show were scripted by different people, chopped up into fragments and outsourced to various translators - some seem to have a poor grasp on both English and Japanese. And after they stitched the show together, no one's there to do anything beyond perhaps a rudimentary check.

I mean, the "Gensokyo roams the world" "shrine maiden called Danmaku" part is only limited to that one segment of narration; other segments have another narrator, and use a different vocabulary. Some key information are repeated in different segments, and told in different ways.

The other things in the show appear stitched together too, in unexpected ways. The show contains footage from the Touhou 14 engine games, and if you care about typefaces, you'd have noticed that there are somehow three different fonts in these footage, when there really should only be one.

Meiryo
A new Japanese font first introduced in Windows Vista, this is the font Touhou 14 and 14.3 are meant to use. This font has thin strokes and round curves.

MS Gothic
The font used by pre-14 Touhou games. When run in Windows XP which does not have the Meiryo font, Touhou 14 and 14.3 will use MS Gothic instead.
ZUN's own debug version of Touhou 14 also displays MS Gothic, perhaps because it's an earlier build without the new font code.

MS Mincho
Due to problems with ZUN's font code, when run in certain non-Japanese Windows environments, all Touhou games might possibly default to the first Japanese font in the system, which is the serif font MS Mincho.

So the amazing thing is, they captured these game footages using several different computers, including one that's not even running a Japanese version of Windows.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 02:28:50 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter